• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I've asked this before but regarding Sora's rights. I thought the final word of his inclusion eventually goes to his creator?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

That or Sora's rights are literally like King Kong's...

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
How are Banjo and Byleth made for a wider audience, then? The former's audience would already have interest in Nintendo, and the latter's series has grown more popular already thanks to Smash.
Banjo has since been on another platform exclusively for the past long while now, meaning there's gonna be a lot of people who never owned an N64 who played it on Xbox 360/One, creating new fans. These new fans will then learn of the bear's history on Nintendo platforms, see he's in Smash, and then look at that, you got someone who might not have been interested in Smash before now suddenly interested!

Byleth is the same deal, as due to how radically different Three Houses is from other FE games, there's a whole bunch of new FE fans who started with TH and now see their new favorite characters in a different game, which catches the eye.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I've asked this before but regarding Sora's rights. I thought the final word of his inclusion eventually goes to his creator?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

yeah, disney has to ask Nomura before the use of Sora in anything considering he is, well, Nomuras creation

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Disney fully owns Kingdom Hearts, they're saying it for PR because as soon as they can ditch Nomura, they will. People are so surprised that the company who literally goes to parents of dead children to demand money or to take their graves down are greedy huh

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Disney fully owns Kingdom Hearts, they're saying it for PR because as soon as they can ditch Nomura, they will. People are so surprised that the company who literally goes to parents of dead children to demand money or to take their graves down are greedy huh
More the reason Disney needs to fall as the Roman Empire did. There's gonna come a time they buy so much that an rebellion occurs.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Is guess is a good time as any to put this up
IMG_20200208_115847.jpg

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Well we can take solace in knowing that it's not set in stone. It might decrease his chances but it doesn't completely erase it. At this point Sora is the new Ridley, the character that some people say shouldn't get in, or doesn't have a chance to get in. All we can do is wait and see if another miracle happens... I sure hope he gets in.

One things for sure, Disney and Square are getting decent or (dare I say) a lot of attention from this news about Sora one way or another.
Smash would pale in compareson to Sora killing himself in KH1 So yeah I dont see that as a problem
Or the... things that happened in the later parts in Kingdom Hearts 3

Last edited:

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Every DLC newcomer has been a main character. I wouldn't get my hopes up for side characters, as I don't think this will change. Nintendo creates DLC characters in order to make money. They aren't doing this to fill holes in the roster or give a character their "due". They are a business and they are going to make decisions that are good for business.

I doubt we are getting many first party characters in the DLC, and even then I don't think it's going to be the characters people expect/want. It's more likely to see another newer, main character like Byleth than it is to see Dixie/Impa/etc.

I.D.

Smash Lord
The only Nintendo newcomers to make it to smash as DLC are Fire Emblem shillpicks avatars from latest title

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Demand money from dead children? Take down graves? What?

:ultgreninja:'d

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Every DLC newcomer has been a main character. I wouldn't get my hopes up for side characters, as I don't think this will change. Nintendo creates DLC characters in order to make money. They aren't doing this to fill holes in the roster or give a character their "due". They are a business and they are going to make decisions that are good for business.

I doubt we are getting many first party characters in the DLC, and even then I don't think it's going to be the characters people expect/want. It's more likely to see another newer, main character like Byleth than it is to see Dixie/Impa/etc.
I'm sure you're right, but I think it's just a case of the main character being the best choice for a representative in their respective games.

In 2019 they caused trouble as a kid's gravestone had Spiderman on it. In 2002 they destroyed the grave of a stillborn child for breaking copyright of Winnie the Pooh
Well...That's yucky.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Should also point out that on top of World of Final Fantasy, Sora was also available for FF Brave Exvius only for a very limited time and it doesn't look like that collab is getting rerun again ever. Disney is not easy to work with.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
At this point I want Comcast to buy Disney out and then see how so called tough Disney really is. Ha! They'll know the true meaning of fear as they'll be trembling for the first time in their ever meaning existence.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

First off, Plant. Literally the most side character you can get. Yeah yeah, "PlAneD foR BaSe RoSTer". Doesn't change the fact that they are charging $4.99 for it right now.

Second off, Dixie is a main character. Literally was the main character of a main series DKC platformer. That's good enough for me.

Impa may be a side character, but I think her standing has been enhanced significantly by the fact that even though Hyrule Warriors was a spinoff, it was the only Zelda game released exclusively for Wii U at the time of its original release, so for an entire Nintendo generation that WAS our new spanking Zelda game. Pair that with the fact that she's literally the second character you play as in Adventure Mode and was marketed heavily as such, and stays by your side for most of the game (along with Zelda, Sheik, and the OC Lana), I think she's fairly significant. I'd take her as an echo, at the very least.

Both Tropical Freeze and Hyrule Warriors are still being sold for $60 on the Switch. Would be nice to acknowledge those characters if they feel like selling those ports for full price.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
At this point I want Comcast to buy Disney out and then see how so called tough Disney really is. Ha! They'll know the true meaning of fear as they'll be trembling for the first time in their ever meaning existence.
So your solution to stopping one monopoly is to.... create a bigger monopoly????? Is this what happens to your brain on capitalism?

KillerCage

Smash Master
Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Nah I doubt it. He supposedly won the fighter ballot, but they had to do a recount to make it look like Pete Bayogeig won. I swear this system is rigged
A character who constantly flips a coin to see if the attack they landed actually happened but flips a coin to see if the attack they got hit by actually did hit or not, what a splendid idea

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I wouldn’t take the whole “Nomura gets final say” say as a 100% fact.
The biggest problem with speculation here is that sometimes there is too much stock placed in a few words during an interview.

Yes, it is on record saying that Disney normally goes thru Nomura for like a “final say”, but I wouldn’t take that as a literal thing. I think that’s more or less for guidance on Disney’s part.

Overall the reality is is that Disney owns the character, so it’s always them whose had the final say.
Im sure they seek Nomuras input, but at the end of the day Disney makes the decision.

If you’re a Sora fan it’s not like his chances are 0. Talks apparently happened, although there seems to be no clarification as to when it happened or if it’s even for Ultimate or the previous title. There seems be no confirmation of what the final outcome was either.

Last edited:

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Is guess is a good time as any to put this up

Well we can take solace in knowing that it's not set in stone. It might decrease his chances but it doesn't completely erase it. At this point Sora is the new Ridley, the character that some people say shouldn't get in, or doesn't have a chance to get in. All we can do is wait and see if another miracle happens... I sure hope he gets in.

One things for sure, Disney and Square are getting decent or (dare I say) a lot of attention from this news about Sora one way or another.

Or the... things that happened in the later parts in Kingdom Hearts 3
I don't think we're out of the running. Not yet.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I feel like DMCV being a recent success has resulted in people overstating how huge a character Dante is.

I mean, he's a popular character from a successful series, he's "bigger" than the characters in the first pass (minus Hero in Japan), and he'd generate a lot of hype, but he's not break-the-internet big. I mean, he's the level of "big", where once Mega Man and Street Fighter get representation, and Resident Evil and Monster Hunter get pushed aside, then yeah, he's probably the next in line for size within Capcom.

I'd put all the third-parties pre-Ultimate (minus Bayo) at least one, if not several ranks above him size-wise, and even then not all those inclusions broke the internet. By Ultimate third-party standards, he'd be towards the top, but let's not go crazy extolling his stature.

There are a bunch of characters that roughly equal his station who have yet to be included.
Honestly, I don't agree at all.
I mean. I get your point. Dante isn't obviously Sonic or Pacman... because they're ****ing Sonic and Pacman. Legendary characters that not only are known by all the people who have touched a console in their lifes, they're also very well known and recognizable outside the gaming sphere. Specially Pacman, I would say.

I agree that Dante isn't in the same level as Cloud, but I wouldn't put Dante very far from him. Cloud was more internet breaking because 1. Final Fantasy is a bigger and more popular series and 2. Cloud and FFVII are practically synonym of the first Playstation. But in terms of being recognizable by their designs and looks, I don't think Dante is really far from Cloud.
If Cloud is the first character that pop ups when we think about JRPG characters, Dante is probably the first character as well for action games.

I don't want to be that guy, but DMC is basically the father of it's genre. Sure, hack n slash games aren't as popular as FPS games, to mention another genre. But it was one of the strongest new IPs in the PS2/GC/Xbox gen. Devil May Cry and Dante were a strong influence and in a certain way, the standard for crazy action games.
Street Fighter and Megaman are massive and older franchises with a strong legacy. So it's difficult for Dante being more well known than Ryu or Megaman itself, but not only for him, because the vast majority of gaming characters aren't more recognizable than Megaman and Ryu. It doesn't seem a fair comparison to me. Also, I really doubt any Dante fans were expecting him to be included in Smash before the likes of Ryu and Megaman. But after them, he's probably the most recognizable character we could get from Capcom (excluding Ken and other SF/Megaman characters).

Certainly, these 10 years between DMC4 and 5 affected the perception about the character. Understandable if you ask me, and the reboot didn't help at all. But all of this reminds me when people says Crash isn't that iconic or well-known.
And if you ask me, Dante is pretty much at the same level or even above of Snake. I love Metal Gear Solid and I love Snake, and he's definitely a big character. But being honest, I always saw Dante above or at the same level of Snake in terms of recognizability. Anyone who thinks different, I think it's because of Snake being in Smash since Brawl, if I'm honest.
Visually speaking Dante's red jacket and his white hair, while simple, are more striking that Snake's looks. And he's for sure more recognizable than any Castlevania character, by the way.

I will admit I'm probably a bit biased with all of this, but Cloud, Ryu, Sonic, Megaman or Pacman being above him doesn't mean that some folks are overstating how big Dante is, because very few characters are close to Ryu, Megaman or Cloud, and almost no one can say the same for Pacman or Sonic besides of Mario, Donkey Kong and Pikachu.

blackghost

Smash Champion
How are Banjo and Byleth made for a wider audience, then? The former's audience would already have interest in Nintendo, and the latter's series has grown more popular already thanks to Smash.
banjo is still a pretty big character whose audience is not limited to nintendo. I mean the fanbase is wide enough that a kickstarter to try to imitate his game was produced (even if it was garbage) im not a bajo fan but the idea banjos entire fanbase is strictly within Nintendo fanbase is just wrong.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
banjo is still a pretty big character whose audience is not limited to nintendo. I mean the fanbase is wide enough that a kickstarter to try to imitate his game was produced (even if it was garbage) im not a bajo fan but the idea banjos entire fanbase is strictly within Nintendo fanbase is just wrong.
Man, Yooka Laylee ain't bad. The hard time that game gets is unreal, as is the hyperbole used to describe it. :/

Anyways, yeah Banjo ain't just Nintendo. Hasn't been for a loooooong time now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom