• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I might come into this thread and bang on about third parties like 2B and Phoenix and Travis but the moment Captain Syrup or Mona dropped? I'd be a puddle on the floor. Overall I want to see characters from games that have stages and "worlds" not yet in Smash (so I suppose Captain Syrup DOES count...) but you can't stop me from getting hyped for characters I love anyway.

It's like the Chun-Li discussion we had the other day. Yeah, a new Capcom series being added would overall be more exciting than a new Street Fighter character, but at the same time it's Chun-Li! She's hype!
I feel like this fabase has been too fixated on the whole "new worlds" comment and as such have really started gatekeeping who can and cannot get in.

Who gives a dang if the series is already in Smash. Chun-Li would be hype.:drflip:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Ah, fighting over Fire Emblem.

Anyway, here is a fun game: smash has games that span from 1980 to 2020. Ignoring skins, 1988, 1995, 2000, 2008, 2011, 2014 and 2018 are not represented by a fighter.

Who would you pick to fill each year?
This is a REALLY cool question.

1988 - Alis Landale (Phantasy Star)

1995 - Crono (Chrono Trigger) (Runner up: Lip from Panel de Pon)

2000 - Okay this was a really hard year. Lots of great candidates. right now I'm leaning towards Beat (Jet Set Radio) because I love that series but JC Denton (Deus Ex) would be crazy and you can't go wrong with Skull Kid (Majora's Mask) or Waluigi

2008 - TRAVIS TOUCHDOWN.

2011 - Gonna have to say Dragonborn (Skyrim) but I'd also love Sissel from Ghost Trick as unlikely as that is.

2014 - I tried to argue against it but I can't deny Shovel Knight here.

2018 - The Xbox One port of Nier Automata was released this year so it counts. Honestly I'm struggling between either The Knight (Hollow Knight) or Madeleine (Celeste). Two of the best games of that year, both very "Nintendo", super fun and cool characters, would bring really neat worlds to Smash...hard to choose.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
A new form on some characters that aren't echoes sounds great. Some good examples of ones I can think of are: Giving Link his Breath of the wild blessings (revali's gale, down b being the block etc) or making Ganondorf more projectile based like in ocarina. Think best way this would be used though is making the echoes more unique, primarily dark samus in my mind because they have a ton of potential
Yes those are good ideas too. Or what about Ocarina of Time Link with the two-handed Biggorron Sword and elemental arrows?

Certain characters we have now could be turned into X Mode versions, for example Dr.Mario, or either Toon Link or Young Link (or both). Marth could have Roy, Lucina and Chrom for example.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Probably going to be more third party characters from recent or upcoming games. Probably not going to be old characters you've always wanted. There's more immediate money in putting new characters in.
The majority of the roster is from the 80s and 90s and people still play the "too many new characters" card?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Terry is still in the King of Fighters series and is being used to this day (though Fatal Fury as a series is effectively over).
Yes, but he's still effectively a boomer character, unlike Joker and Byleth.

Hero is interesting because he manages to be both a boomer and a zoomer due to consisting of protagonists from all over DQ's history.

MooMew64

The majority of the roster is from the 80s and 90s and people still play the "too many new characters" card?
Yeah, I just finished playing Banjo Kazooie on my Xbox One, so that makes them recent and too new. Where's the love for the true retro reps we want, like Lester the Unlikely?

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
What's with the cereal mascot thing i'm seeing here?
Basically this happened:

"Man, I'm tired of people who support cartoony characters like Banjo or Geno calling everyone else an Anime Swordsman."
"Let's just take the higher road and ignore it."
"No, let's invent a new buzzword so we can engage in the exact same behaviour we were decrying, but it's okay because they started it!"

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
This is a REALLY cool question.

1988 - Alis Landale (Phantasy Star)

1995 - Crono (Chrono Trigger) (Runner up: Lip from Panel de Pon)

2000 - Okay this was a really hard year. Lots of great candidates. right now I'm leaning towards Beat (Jet Set Radio) because I love that series but JC Denton (Deus Ex) would be crazy and you can't go wrong with Skull Kid (Majora's Mask) or Waluigi

2008 - TRAVIS TOUCHDOWN.

2011 - Gonna have to say Dragonborn (Skyrim) but I'd also love Sissel from Ghost Trick as unlikely as that is.

2014 - I tried to argue against it but I can't deny Shovel Knight here.

2018 - The Xbox One port of Nier Automata was released this year so it counts. Honestly I'm struggling between either The Knight (Hollow Knight) or Madeleine (Celeste). Two of the best games of that year, both very "Nintendo", super fun and cool characters, would bring really neat worlds to Smash...hard to choose.
I wanted to put Travis on mine too but No More Heroes came out in 2007 T-T good picks though, people would be so salty over Dragonborn though

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Yeah, I just finished playing Banjo Kazooie on my Xbox One, so that makes them recent and too new. Where's the love for the true retro reps we want, like Lester the Unlikely?
I'm still hoping the Yar gets into Smash someday.

Not reboot Yar, but classic Atari 2600 Yar!

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
We need more 2000's characters, like Sora, Layton, Phoenix or Dante.

Out of Ultimates newcomers I think only 2 fit that bill, and they are both just alternate costumes at the end of the day (Dark samus and Guv)

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I feel like this fabase has been too fixated on the whole "new worlds" comment and as such have really started gatekeeping who can and cannot get in.
I'm surprised I didn't see anything about Three Houses counting as a "new world".

MooMew64

Basically this happened:

"Man, I'm tired of people who support cartoony characters like Banjo or Geno calling everyone else an Anime Swordsman."
"Let's just take the higher road and ignore it."
"No, let's invent a new buzzword so we can engage in the exact same behaviour we were decrying, but it's okay because they started it!"
"Fire Emblem bad!"

"No, Banjo bad!"

Maturity at its finest with this fandom. Smash characters are very serious business, you know: My taste is objectively better than yours, you see, and I must make this known with funny internet meme and win big clout.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It's a new world in the context of it being a different universe than past Fire emblem games, does that count?
That's what I mean, it surprises me that there haven't been any debates I've seen over whether or not Byleth counts as a "new world" when 3H doesn't take place in the same universe as other FE games.

Last edited:

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
Okay so something I noticed that not a lot of people have talked about. Some of the picks in Smash have been heavily promoted in the Directs themselves. Which makes sense because Smash Brothers is giant for advertisement. Some examples would be Hero and Dragon Quest, they were really pushing that. As well as Neo Geo giving some bulk for Terry, and of course Byleth. Maybe some future picks will be ones that also got their own big segments in directs like Astral Chain? If the spirits didn't kill it

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Anyway, here is a fun game: smash has games that span from 1980 to 2020. Ignoring skins, 1988, 1995, 2000, 2008, 2011, 2014 and 2018 are not represented by a fighter.

1988 - Hayabusa like everyone says
1995 - no idea
2000 - no idea
2008 - Neku; I do believe TWEWY came out in the West in 2008
2011 - ????
2014 - Elma under the caveat that X started development in 2014
2018 - Octoling (Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion)

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

1988: Ryu Hayabusa
1995: Crono
2000: R-108 (TimeSplitters)
2003: Heather Mason
2008: The Shake King (Wario Land: Shake it)
2011: I don't know... Grayson Hunt (Bulletstorm)
2014: Shovel Knight
2018: I got nothing...

Dinoman96

Smash Master
On the whole "Wario doesn't have any notable characters left": Ashley is still an AT.
I'm sorry but Ashley has just never really felt like playable character material to me.

Same thing goes with all of the WarioWare cast, honestly. They're fun characters, but they're not really that important. None of them really stand out. They're all essentially just supporting characters in a supporting character's mini-game spinoff of a spinoff.

MooMew64

That's what I mean, it surprises me that there haven't been any debates I've seen over whether or not Byleth counts as a "new world" when 3H doesn't take place in the same universe as other FE games.
There were, they've just been dropped now because the anti-Byleth crowd doesn't really care anymore. They're all waiting impatiently for the next character to drop so they can be mad at that next.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'm surprised I didn't see anything about Three Houses counting as a "new world".
I have seen this argument to justify how Fodlan is a "new world" as it's new to Three Houses, but Fodlan is actually implied to be somewhat connected to Archanea, as the player can obtain the Archanean Regalia and Fire Emblem is relatively consistent with not having weapons crossover unless it makes some sense.

IMO, Pushdustin's tweet about this being a mistranslation really should've put this notion to bed, but it's still going for some reason.

Last edited:

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
I have seen this argument to justify how Fodlan is a "new world" as it's new to Three Houses, but Fodlan is actually implied to be somewhat connected to Archanea, as the player can obtain the Archanean Regalia and Fire Emblem is relatively consistent with not having weapons crossover unless it makes some sense.
didn't awakening have everything though

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
didn't awakening have everything though
Yes, but Awakening also had a portal that connected to every previous Fire Emblem world, providing some explanation on how weapons like Nidhogg are available to the player despite never setting foot in Magvel.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
If Chun-Li is added to Smash then I demand for Eggman, Gruntilda, Alucard, Tails, Zero, etc to be made playable as well

MooMew64

I'm sorry but Ashley has just never really felt like playable character material to me.

Same thing goes with all of the WarioWare cast, honestly. They're fun characters, but they're not really that important. None of them really stand out. They're all essentially just supporting characters in a supporting character's mini-game spinoff of a spinoff.
Respectfully disagree, but you're entitled to your opinion and I won't try to win you over. I just really like the characters and feel the movesets could be good fun. I could really care less how important a character is, if they're fun and I like 'em, I want 'em.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
We need more 2000's characters, like Sora, Layton, Phoenix or Dante.

Out of Ultimates newcomers I think only 2 fit that bill, and they are both just alternate costumes at the end of the day (Dark samus and Guv)
The 2000's is a pretty cursed decade for Smash, its neither new enough to be considered "modern", nor old enough to be considered "retro".
Their just stuck in an awkward middleground.

Even Isaac from Golden Sun is struggling quite a bit there despite the demand.

Which is a shame because most of my favourite characters and franchises were born during that decade...

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
I didnt include 2003 because technically Dark Samus debuted that year.

If you include ATs, 1977 and 1979 make the cut but didnt even bother to include it ( Unless you are on of those weirdoes that include the Duck from Duck Hunt as a 78 pick)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
There was a problem fetching the tweet
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Tl;dr MCN appears to be hinting at a direct on 2/12... time will tell if they’re right or not

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
This could get buried but do any of you guys know what font (size and typeface) is used for the Fighter's Pass Template?

I made mine ages ago but just wanted to double check something.

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Okay so something I noticed that not a lot of people have talked about. Some of the picks in Smash have been heavily promoted in the Directs themselves. Which makes sense because Smash Brothers is giant for advertisement. Some examples would be Hero and Dragon Quest, they were really pushing that. As well as Neo Geo giving some bulk for Terry, and of course Byleth. Maybe some future picks will be ones that also got their own big segments in directs like Astral Chain? If the spirits didn't kill it
We are getting a direct on February 30th. I can’t believe no one thought of that yet. It’s obvious Nintendo would want to celebrate the first leap year of the decade. And heavily promoted character maybe Travis

Last edited:

Turtlar

Smash Apprentice

1988: Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
1995: Dixie Kong (DKC2)
2000: Joanna Dark (Perfect Dark) or Skull Kid (Majora's Mask)
2008: Bomberman (Blast)
2011: Bandana Dee (Return to Dreamland)
2014: Shantae (Pirate's Curse)
2018: Spyro (Reignited Trilogy)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
2008: Bomberman (Blast)
2011: Bandana Dee (Return to Dreamland)
2014: Shantae (Pirate's Curse)
2018: Spyro (Reignited Trilogy)
Picking something other than their debut games kind of defeats the purpose. If we could pick things like this, then pretty much EVERY year would have a character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom