• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You can give impressions of a character based on what you've seen. I don't think they're packing many surprises that'll change my mind (did we end up seeing their throws? maybe they'll incorporate the relics as well) but it's possible.
We've only seen his Up Throw.

I just can’t wait to roflstomp friends with their Up B.

That’s what I’m most hyped for.
It is a glorious Up Special.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
We've only seen his Up Throw.
And back throw. Byleth spins em around and tosses them like Mario.

You can give impressions of a character based on what you've seen. I don't think they're packing many surprises that'll change my mind (did we end up seeing their throws? maybe they'll incorporate the relics as well) but it's possible.
Up throw and back throw.
Regardless... Sakurai made it a point to mention they were subpar like most weapon wielders, so don't expect something like Palutena's back throw. If we're lucky, his dthrow might lead to an easy nair.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Speaking of fighting styles, there's so many Martial Arts that could be taken into games like this, but rarely do main characters have styles like Capoeira or Tae-Kwon-Do, or Wing Chun.

We got Boxing :ultlittlemac:
We got Wrasslin' :ultincineroar:
We got Karate(although more fantastical, obviously) :ultryu::ultken:. Ryu in later games especially embodies actual Karate more.

So it's not like there's no proper styles.
In a way this reminds me that I want a character that does Lucha Libre.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
but byleth fire emblem baaaaaaaaad and i dont care if i havent played as him b4 he is bad

press like button blow please thanks
"Anything that remotely resembles criticism of Byleth=hating them just for being more FE"

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Would anyone be opposed to BotW Zelda being a new challenger? Maybe Challenger Pack 11?

I know it’ll probably be a minute before we see BotW 2, but it just got me thinking.

It would be a great way to add another Zelda character and promote the new BotW. Just a thought.

And no, she wouldn’t be an echo fighter of Zelda. I picture her using the champion’s abilities like Link can. And before the whole “Zelda never used them though!” Ness and Lucas don’t use a major of their smash moves in their home game. Also, Robin never uses Nosferatu in his/her home game.

Thoughts? Reactions if it happened?

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I'm looking forward to Byleth mainly to get some Three Houses songs blaring on the current FE Stages and Garreg Mach Monastery. True I would've preferred maybe if they had some of their proficiency in gauntlets referenced in stuff like throws and grabs - which would've been pretty amusing and refreshing to see a FE character beat someone up with punches and kicks for a change of pace.

But what's also still crazy to me is that Byleth is coming with Assassin's Creed and Cuphead in the Version 7 update...

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Would anyone be opposed to BotW Zelda being a new challenger? Maybe Challenger Pack 11?

I know it’ll probably be a minute before we see BotW 2, but it just got me thinking.

It would be a great way to add another Zelda character and promote the new BotW. Just a thought.

And no, she wouldn’t be an echo fighter of Zelda. I picture her using the champion’s abilities like Link can. And before the whole “Zelda never used them though!” Ness and Lucas don’t use a major of their smash moves in their home game. Also, Robin never uses Nosferatu in his/her home game.

I wouldn't be a huge fan. I generally tend to prefer characters that already are already seen doing cool things rather than trying to force upon a character things that they could possibly maybe do. After all the only thing we see her do is spout exposition and then when the chips are down, use the final smash. Not to mention being another in the triforce trio? No thanks.

I'd be fine with it if she's interesting and all, but she definitely wouldn't be my first pick for a Zelda character. I'd prefer Midna followed by Ghirahim, but those don't seem possible now (or ever).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Y'all got to play Byleth while I'm still trying to ace my semester in order to get my Switch privileges back.

BZocky

Smash Ace
I just realized that Cuphead’s Mii Costume, a character whose main antagonist is The Devil, is releasing alongside ‘The Ashen Demon’, Byleth.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Y'all got to play Byleth while I'm still trying to ace my semester in order to get my Switch privileges back.
Assuming a Semester is nine weeks, you could look on the bright side and say that you'll probably have TWO fighters waiting for you by then.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

I wouldn't be that excited, but it's not like Zelda doesn't already ape some of Link's tech for her own moveset. And the Phantom. We already got two pretty different Zeldas with Zelda and Shiek. A third Zelda wouldn't be that interesting. That's why many people ask for Skull Kid, Midna, Ghirahim and Vaati a fair bit. Although Pig Ganon's got his own tech that makes him fairly requested a fair bit, what with teleporting and the Trident and all that.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
but byleth fire emblem baaaaaaaaad and i dont care if i havent played as him b4 he is bad

press like button blow please thanks
it worked
Considering people like Idon seem to actually like FE, but is still critical of Byleth's potential, I would say it ain't just Byleth bad cause FE bad. Many people thought Banjo would be kind of mid-tier based off of his gameplay, and he's the most adored character of the pass.

I will agree however that we won't really know until we get our hands on the character. So I won't that much on the character's tech.
I’d say Joker is more adored than Banjo...but Arsene

grade compared to the wholesomeness and safety of Banjo
5EFCA274-0EE3-4C57-8FF6-0AD93459D775.jpeg

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
"Anything that remotely resembles criticism of Byleth=hating them just for being more FE"
I get what everyone is saying and I agree with it to an extent.

On the other hand, I believe it's unfair to judge a character's moveset when all we have to go off of is a presentation and like 10 minutes of live gameplay. It feels like it's too soon to make any real judgements, but that might just be me.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master

Kind of yeah. If we get another Zelda character it would ideally be a character outside the Triforce trio.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

I don't think there's really a need for her, even if she is playable. Sakurai should do what he did with Link in the next game and revise Zelda's current moveset so she suits the version she's based off of.

I think a Champion or any other completely separate character would be better.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord

I would be pretty disappointed, especially when there's so many good Zelda characters that could be playable - Impa, Skull Kid, Midna, Ghirahim - yet we only get some form of Zelda, Link, or Ganondorf. I'd rather just get no extra Zelda rep if that's the case.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
For everyone who replied to my post about BotW Zelda. I agree. It wouldn’t be the most exciting addition to the roster.

Only reason I am asking is because I often see complaints about Fire Emblem’s roster representation outweighing Zelda’s while Zelda is the the more successful franchise.

I understand the frustration, but I guess my only thing is, with every new Fire Emblem game we get an entirely new cast and new story for the most part. Characters that are significant to each titles installment. With Zelda, we get the same main characters with a different story for the most part. The exceptions being Tingle and Impa. But tingle is an assist and Impa’s character never really stays consistent.

I think that’s the reason we don’t see characters like Skull Kid, Ghirahim, or Midna make it onto the roster because while yes they played a role in the titles they appear in, they are most one-offs. Fire Emblem characters are representing different generations of Fire Emblem, similar to how the Pokémon symbolizes different generations/popularity. With every new generation of Zelda we get Link, Zelda, and some incarnation of Ganon (other than a few other games.)

Trust me, I’d love Impa. Even if she was a semi-clone of Sheik or something. I’d love it.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I get what everyone is saying and I agree with it to an extent.

On the other hand, I believe it's unfair to judge a character's moveset when all we have to go off of is a presentation and like 10 minutes of live gameplay. It feels like it's too soon to make any real judgements, but that might just be me.
To be fair, I've yet to see Smash fanbase not being divided on a RPG character's moveset.

People complained about how Joker and Hero plays to hell and back, yet they're both very fun to me. I wouldn't mind what other people say too much.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
For everyone who replied to my post about BotW Zelda. I agree. It wouldn’t be the most exciting addition to the roster.

Only reason I am asking is because I often see complaints about Fire Emblem’s roster representation outweighing Zelda’s while Zelda is the the more successful franchise.

I understand the frustration, but I guess my only thing is, with every new Fire Emblem game we get an entirely new cast and new story for the most part. Characters that are significant to each titles installment. With Zelda, we get the same main characters with a different story for the most part. The exceptions being Tingle and Impa. But tingle is an assist and Impa’s character never really stays consistent.

I think that’s the reason we don’t see characters like Skull Kid, Ghirahim, or Midna make it onto the roster because while yes they played a role in the titles they appear in, they are most one-offs. Fire Emblem characters are representing different generations of Fire Emblem, similar to how the Pokémon symbolizes different generations/popularity. With every new generation of Zelda we get Link, Zelda, and some incarnation of Ganon (other than a few other games.)

Trust me, I’d love Impa. Even if she was a semi-clone of Sheik or something. I’d love it.
I see what you're saying. I support BotW Zelda but my biggest want is Ganon from the 2D Zeldas. So, Zelda 1 and A Link to the Past Ganon, specifically. He'd be a fun character.

Sakurai, atm, seems like his mind is made up that Zelda one-offs are Assist Trophy material at best, which as a huge Midna fan, makes me pretty sad. But within these parameters, I think my want for Ganon is pretty reasonable.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
In a way this reminds me that I want a character that does Lucha Libre.
Takes me back to when Hawlucha was the favourite. Poor thing didn't even make it into Pokken

KatKit

Smash Lord
I plan on posting two Streets of Rage movesets eventually. I think it's fitting because Streets of Rage (and beat 'em ups as a whole) is all about teaming up with someone else to take on the world.

But first, I'm going to highlight Blaze Fielding. Homegirl was not only the inspiration for other characters in her series:

But she's also the inspiration for characters outside of it:

She's even the reason behind CEO/DJ/hip hop producer/NBA Street Vol. 2 character Just Blaze's stage name. Now excuse me while I fangirl over her for a sec. Feel free to ignore this part because it's an unimportant tangent, ahaha.

Anyways... aside from looking and fighting cool, having a dope backstory, and being one of the original videogame Kick Chicks along with Chun-li, another thing that makes Blaze interesting is that she's hella multi-cultural. She's a British judo/sambo practitioner that wears large hoop earrings and is a Lambada instructor. OMG, she is just so awesome and strong and diverse/non-stereotypical. She was so ahead of her time. Speaking of which, so was Streets of Rage's music...

And here's one of the hypest stage 1 themes ever FOR NO REASON. I literally just want to listen to this while I type.

Okay, let's do this!

One fun thing about beat 'em ups is that you can button mash. I've conceptualized a way to translate that into Smash. Link's forward smash attack has a follow-up swing by pressing the attack button shortly after the first swing. Similarly, sword dance is a special move with follow-ups that change depending on the directional input. With this in mind, picture a standard jab combo. Let's say it's a punch, a headbutt, then a kick. It's the same sequence each time, but what if you can select the order of said sequence? Well, each of Blaze's smash attacks are different moves in her standard jab combo sequence and they can be chained together in a number of different ways. Blaze has fast yet weak smash attacks with multiple follow-up attacks that vary depending on directional input. Simply put, a smash attack version of sword dance, except you can start with any part of the dance that you want to. Blaze's smash attacks, while weak, can chain into special moves, other smash attacks, and even her jab attack. Moreover, if timed properly, you can iniate the combo after landing her forward aerial attack. It's simple. It's flashy. It's combo-heavy. Most importantly, it involves button mashing! It allows everyone to experiment with crazy combos. If that's not your thing, you can always perform her reliable jab combo with the press of a button. A mechanic unique to Blaze is that she also has the series' first grab cancel. Holding the shield button during a grab/grab attack causes Blaze to jump away from the opponent after grabbing them. Grab canceling deals no damage, but it can be useful.

Additionally, most of Blaze's tilt attacks act as her Smash attacks. They're stronger and generally have more reach, but slower. They're decent on their own, but could be used as combo finishers. It is possible to cancel her slow yet powerful tilt attacks into her special moves, but doing so comes at a price. I will explain this in detail later on.

Overall, Blaze is a balanced brawler with a lot of speedy yet weak attacks, similar to how she is portrayed in her home series. Although she doesn't have a lot of range, she can be very lethal up close, in the air, and has powerful grabs.

Jab Combo (6 hits)

Blaze does not have a rapid jab combo (i.e. holding down the attack button), each hit must be pressed manually for a total of 6 hits. Simply pressing the jab button 6 times causes Blaze to do the following combo sequence: Double Punch, Strong Punch, Double Kick, High Kick. If it fully lands, the standard 6-hit combo deals 18% damage. Alternatively, various attacks in the combo can be performed independently and rearranged in any order you implement them. Now, let's break it down piece by piece.

Neutral Attack (Jab): Double Punch
The first two punches in the sequence are Blaze's jab; let's refer to this as "double punch". It's two quick chops that deals little knockback, but has decent hitstun the first time that it's used in a combo. It's perfect for starting combos or being used in the middle of them. Its weakness is its poor range.

Forward Smash: Strong Punch

The third punch in the sequence is also Blaze's forward smash attack. Let's refer to this as "strong punch". Strong punch has more range than double punch and deals more damage and knockback. Press the attack button to perform a double punch after initiating strong punch, or press attack and the directional buttons to perform any of the remaining follow-ups. Ending a combo with strong punch launches enemies forward, particularly at higher percentages.

Down Smash: Double Kick (First time I spliced a gif!)

Double kick first hits low, so it can reach crouching opponents, and enemies hanging on the ledge. The second kick launches enemies at an upward angle, particularly at high percentages.

Up Smash: High Kick

It hits above Blaze and it kills at higher percentages. Although it isn't a very reliable combo starter like the other attacks, it's a good combo ender, and decent mix-up tool at lower percentages because it launches opponents straight upward. When that happens, try to jump in the air and continue your assault from there.

Whether you're mashing buttons or discovering various ways to effectively chain together each of these attacks, the freedom and simplicity of performing them is what I like about beat 'ems up, and what helps set them apart from traditional fighting games.

The Streets of Rage cast use whatever tools at their disposal to dish out much needed vigilante justice, and Blaze is good with a knife, which is why our girl shanks opponents with a couple of her powerful tilt attacks!

Up Tilt:

Blaze moves forward a little before slashing upwards. A good anti-air attack, out of shield option, kill move, and combo finisher, but it can leave her vulnerable. You can negate this vulnerability by canceling into any of her special moves, which can also be used to further extend combos and/or get Blaze out of a bad situation, but doing so deals 3% damage to Blaze. While self-harming, special moves quickly activated after a tilt attack briefly have i-frames on startup activation (i.e. meaning Blaze is invulnerable for a split second). A neat easter egg is that Blaze drops the knife if you cancel this tilt with a special move. You'd never guess where I got the self-damaging yet powerful/invulnerable special move idea from. ;)

Forward Tilt:
Blaze slashes twice with a knife. Has decent range and is a disjoint attack. A little slow, but the second swing hits above her. Great for poking and it causes a lot of shield damage. Similar to up tilt, canceling this attack with a special move causes Blaze to drop the knife.

Down Tilt:

Low sweeping kick that first hits in front of Blaze, then hits behind her. Causes enemies behind Blaze that get hit with the attack to trip.

Neutral Special: Kikou Shou
Blaze projects a powerful burst of energy which is stronger the closer the opponent is to the attack. Causes knockback and KOs enemies at higher percentages. It can be absorbed, but it can not be reflected. Up close it deals a whopping 15% damage, but from a distance, it deals 8%. It can be used to extend combos. As mentioned above, you can use this and other special moves quickly after using tilt attacks to interrupt them. Doing so briefly gives you i-frames on start-up, but you damage yourself in the process. Fun fact: Blaze had this technique before Chun-li.

Side Special: Vertical Slash
Blaze performs a forward somersault, leaps into the air, bashes opponents with her energy fists. It is also a meteor attack and it doubles as a horizontal recovery. During the somersault animation of the move, Blaze dodges projectiles.

Down Special: Subliming Double Slash

Two-part attack that changes depending on if you're on the ground or in midair. Press once to perform a flashkick-like somersault. Press again to perform a sliding attack. When performed in the air, Blaze does a dropkick instead of a sliding kick.

Up Special: Ummm... Rooster Uppercut?

No joke, Blaze got a new unnamed attack in Streets of Rage 4 that looks like Tostada's version of Rooster Uppercut from Guacamelee lol. Here's an example. So, basically she kicks upwards at an angle. It can be chained into itself, similar to Bayonetta's up special, expect using it a second time puts Blaze into free fall.

Final Smash: Squad Drive-by
Blaze summons her friend on the police force who drives up and fires a bazooka which causes a huge explosion.

Forward Aerial: Dat Dropkick Though
An angular dropkick with good range and a lingering hitbox. If timed properly, you can land on the ground and continue the assault with your jab/smash combos! This is Blaze's best aerial attack and her only one that can be used as a combo starter.

Up Throw:
As a judo practitioner, all of Blaze's throws are quite strong, including this one. Hold down the shield to flip away backwards instead of hitting the opponent. Doing so a variety of uses, one of which is to avoid harming a nearby partner in a team battle!

Back Throw:
Sorry, I had to use Axel for this because... reasons. Let's just say that the internet was a mistake. D: Anyway, cool flippy suplex. Hold the shield button to flip behind opponents without harming them. You cannot grab opponents immediately after flipping behind them; there's a cooldown period to avoid chain grab shenanigans.

Idle Animation:

Dash Attack:

Insert sword wielder joke here.

Welp, that's it. This is probably the most effort I've ever put into a moveset. It's a long read and IDK if anyone will bother with all of it, but I think it was worth it because someone requested a SoR moveset and Blaze means a lot to me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I plan on posting two Streets of Rage movesets eventually. I think it's fitting because Streets of Rage (and beat 'em ups as a whole) is all about teaming up with someone else to take on the world.

But first, I'm going to highlight Blaze Fielding. Homegirl was not only the inspiration for other characters in her series:

But she's also the inspiration for characters outside of it:

She's even the reason behind hip-hop DJ/producer Just Blaze's name. Now excuse me while I fangirl over her for a sec. Feel free to ignore this part because it's an unimportant tangent, ahaha.

Anyways... aside from looking and fighting cool, having a dope backstory, and being one of the original videogame Kick Chicks along with Chun-li, another thing that makes Blaze interesting is that she's hella multi-cultural. She's a British judo/sambo practitioner that wears large hoop earrings and is a Lambada instructor. OMG, she is just so awesome and strong and diverse/non-stereotypical. She was so ahead of her time. Speaking of which, so was Streets of Rage's music...

And here's one of the hypest stage 1 themes ever FOR NO REASON. I literally just want to listen to this while I type.

Okay, let's do this!

One fun thing about beat 'em ups is that you can button mash. I've conceptualized a way to translate that into Smash. Link's forward smash attack has a follow-up swing by pressing the attack button shortly after the first swing. Similarly, sword dance is a special move with follow-ups that change depending on the directional input. With this in mind, picture a standard jab combo. Let's say it's a punch, a headbutt, then a kick. It's the same sequence each time, but what if you can select the order of said sequence? Well, each of Blaze's smash attacks are different moves in her standard jab combo sequence and they can be chained together in a number of different ways. Blaze has fast yet weak smash attacks with multiple follow-up attacks that vary depending on directional input. Simply put, a smash attack version of sword dance. Blaze's smash attacks, while weak, can chain into special moves, other smash attacks, and even her jab attack. Moreover, if timed properly, you can iniate the combo after landing her forward aerial attack. It's simple. It's flashy. It's combo-heavy. Most importantly, it involves button mashing! It allows everyone to experiment with crazy combos. If that's not your thing, you can always perform her reliable jab combo with the press of a button. A mechanic unique to Blaze is that she also has the series' first grab cancel. Holding the shield button during a grab/grab attack causes Blaze to jump away from the opponent after grabbing them. Grab canceling deals no damage, but it can be useful.

Additionally, most of Blaze's tilt attacks act as her Smash attacks. They're stronger and generally have more reach, but slower. They're decent on their own, but could be used as combo finishers. It is possible to cancel her slow yet powerful tilt attacks into her special moves, but doing so comes at a price. I will explain this in detail later on.

Overall, Blaze is a balanced brawler with a lot of speedy yet weak attacks, similar to how she is portrayed in her home series. Although she doesn't have a lot of range, she can be very lethal up close, in the air, and has powerful grabs.

Jab Combo (6 hits)

Blaze does not have a rapid jab combo (i.e. holding down the attack button), each hit must be pressed manually for a total of 6 hits. Simply pressing the jab button 6 times causes Blaze to do the following combo sequence: Double Punch, Strong Punch, Double Kick, High Kick. If it fully lands, the standard 6-hit combo deals 18% damage. Alternatively, various attacks in the combo can be performed independently. Now, let's break it down piece by piece.

Neutral Attack (Jab): Double Punch

The first two punches in the sequence are Blaze's jab; let's refer to this as "double punch". It's two quick chops that deals little knockback, but has decent hitstun the first time that it's used in a combo. It's perfect for starting combos or being used in the middle of them. Its weakness is its poor range.

Forward Smash: Strong Punch

The third punch in the sequence is also Blaze's forward smash attack. Let's refer to this as "strong punch". Strong punch has more range than double punch and deals more damage and knockback. Press the attack button to perform a double punch after initiating strong punch. Ending a combo with strong punch launches enemies forward, particularly at higher percentages.

Down Smash: Double Kick (First time I spliced a gif!)

Double kick first hits low, so it can reach crouching opponents, and enemies hanging on the ledge. The second kick launches enemies at an upward angle, particularly at high percentages.

Up Smash: High Kick

It hits above Blaze and it kills at higher percentages. Although it isn't a very reliable combo starter like the other attacks, it's a good combo ender, and decent mix-up tool at lower percentages because it launches opponents upward. When that happens, try to jump in the air and continue your assault from there.

Whether you're mashing buttons or discovering various ways to effectively chain together each of these attacks, the freedom and simplicity of performing them is what I like about beat 'ems up, and what helps set them apart from traditional fighting games.

The Streets of Rage cast use whatever tools at their disposal to dish out much needed vigilante justice, and Blaze is good with a knife, which is why our girl shanks opponents with a couple of her powerful tilt attacks!

Up Tilt:

Blaze moves forward a little before slashing upwards. A good anti-air attack, out of shield option, kill move, and combo finisher, but it can leave her vulnerable. You can negate this vulnerability by canceling into any of her special moves, which can also be used to further extend combos and/or get Blaze out of a bad situation, but doing so deals 3% damage to Blaze. While self-harming, special moves quickly activated after a tilt attack briefly have i-frames on startup activation (i.e. meaning Blaze is invulnerable for a split second). A neat easter egg is that Blaze drops the knife if you cancel this tilt with a special move. You'd never guess where I got the self-damaging yet powerful/invulnerable special move idea from. ;)

Forward Tilt:

Blaze slashes twice with a knife. Has decent range and is a disjoint attack. A little slow, but the second swing hits above her. Great for poking and it causes a lot of shield damage. Similar to up tilt, canceling this attack with a special move causes Blaze to drop the knife.

Down Tilt:

Low sweeping kick that first hits in front of Blaze, then hits behind her. Causes enemies behind Blaze that get hit with the attack to trip.

Neutral Special: Kikou Shou

Blaze projects a powerful burst of energy which is stronger the closer the opponent is to the attack. Causes knockback and KOs enemies at higher percentages. It can be absorbed, but it can not be reflected. Up close it deals a whopping 15% damage, but from a distance, it deals 8%. It can be used to extend combos. As mentioned above, you can use this and other special moves quickly after using tilt attacks to interrupt them. Doing so briefly gives you i-frames on start-up, but you damage yourself in the process. Fun fact: Blaze had this technique before Chun-li.

Side Special: Vertical Slash

Blaze performs a forward somersault, leaps into the air, bashes opponents with her energy fists. It is also a meteor attack and it doubles as a horizontal recovery. During the somersault animation of the move, Blaze dodges projectiles.

Down Special: Subliming Double Slash

Two-part attack that changes depending on if you're in the ground or in midair. Press once to perform a flashkick-like somersault. Press again to perform a sliding attack. When performed in the air, Blaze does a dropkick instead of a sliding kick.

Up Special: Ummm... Rooster Uppercut?

No joke, Blaze got a new unnamed attack in Streets of Rage 4 that looks like Tostada's version of Rooster Uppercut from Guacamelee lol. Here's an example. So, basically she kicks upwards at an angle. It can be chained into itself, similar to Bayonetta's up special, expect using it a second tone puts Blaze into free fall.

Final Smash: Squad Drive-by

Blaze summons her friends on the police force who drive up and fire a bazooka such causes a huge explosion.

Forward Aerial: Dat Dropkick Though

An angular dropkick with good range and a lingering hitbox. If timed properly, you can land on the ground and continue the assault with your jab/smash combos! This is Blaze's best aerial attack and her only one that can be used as a combo starter.

Up Throw:

As a judo practitioner, all of Blaze's throws are quite strong, including this one. Hold down the shield to flip away backwards instead of hitting the opponent. Doing so a variety of uses, one of which is to avoid harming a nearby partner in a team battle!

Back Throw:

Sorry, I had to Axel for this because... reasons. Let's just say that the internet was a mistake. D: Anyway, cool flippy suplex. Hold the shield button to flip behind opponents without harming them. You cannot grab opponents immediately after flipping behind them; there's a cooldown period to avoid chain grab shenanigans.

Idle Animation:

Dash Attack:

Insert sword wielder joke here.

Welp, that's it. This is probably the most effort I've ever put into a moveset. It's a long read and IDK if anyone will bother with all of it, but I think it was worth it because someone requested a SoR moveset and Blaze means a lot to me.
All of this is greatly amusing to see. Not the biggest Streets of Rage fan (never even played like, ever), but this couks be a great looking moveset if you ask me.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Neat ideas for Blaze's moveset. Though I think the Knife Uppercut might work better as an Up-smash because of how flashy it is.

Great idea for the Final Smash though.

I'm glad SoR brought back Adam. Even if he took a few pages out of Terry's playbook, it's still cool to see.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
To be fair, I've yet to see Smash fanbase not being divided on a RPG character's moveset.

People complained about how Joker and Hero plays to hell and back, yet they're both very fun to me. I wouldn't mind what other people say too much.
The criticisms of Joker and Hero's movesets were not so much about how it was to play them, but more so about how it was to play against them. Arsene can be super oppressive to play against, and it obviously took some time for people to adapt to Hero's 20+ special moves (plus he has a ton of stuff that'd be controversial in any competitive game). Then you also have to factor in that most people who play the game are around the intermediate level and either can't or don't want to adapt to their opposition, so it's just easier for them to blame the characters.

It doesn't really have much to do with their origins, but rather the characters' implementation. People were pretty hyped for Robin and Shulk's movesets back when they were revealed, and Cloud only got stick because he was way overpowered.

Yeah, the anti-circlejerk is getting pretty exhausting, especially since the actual circlejerk isn't even that prevalent on this site. There was that initial negative reaction during the reveal, but since then there have only been a few people who have kept moaning about it, yet the Byleth defense force has just kept on going and going, at this point it's just preaching to the choir. I'm not on the side that hates Byleth, I've gotten over the fact that it wasn't Edelgard, but I don't care for him either, and from the point of view of someone that's stuck in the middle, both sides contribute just as little to actually constructive discussions as the other.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sadly it's just a pipe dream. Everyone else won't budge, and everyone in the roster is criticized once. No character is perfect when it comes to reception.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
No character is perfect when it comes to reception.
Except Banjo.

I kid, I kid. I actually dislike a few of his move choices (forward air should be Pack Whack for visual flavor, for instance), but more than that I dislike how half-hearted his unique mechanic is. 5 Gold Feathers seems like an arbitrary way to acknowledge his collectathon origins. If they expanded on it it'd make him much more interesting, especially since lots of people think he's a bit underbaked as well.
  • Up B in mid-air is a Flight Pad, which uses one Red Feather. You can Up B multiple times while in mid-air, but each time it uses a Red Feather, of which he only has 15 total. (Grounded Up-Bs are still Shock Spring Pad jumps, and you get a vastly weakened Shock Spring Jump if you're out of Red Feathers and in mid-air)
  • Side B after using a Flight Pad is a Beak Bomber, essentially a weaker Wonder Wing that uses a Red Feather
  • Shield + B is Egg Change which affects Neutral B. He can switch between regular eggs (50), fire eggs (20) and ice eggs (10). Fire eggs burn while ice eggs can freeze, obviously.
  • His collectibles can all appear from containers if items are turned on. When collected by someone other than Banjo, Eggs heal, red feathers increase mobility temporarily and golden feathers grant short invincibility
He's easily my favorite character pick so far but that doesn't stop me from thinking he could be improved.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Dunno if this has been discussed yet, but don't get your hopes up for a midnight/wee hours of the morning release for Byleth. The Japanese presentation dated them for the 29th, meaning that if they released them right at midnight, they'd get here 7AM PST/10 AM EST or so. Even then, I'm going to wager it won't be a midnight release for them, so probably expect afternoon/evening.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Dunno if this has been discussed yet, but don't get your hopes up for a midnight/wee hours of the morning release for Byleth. The Japanese presentation dated them for the 29th, meaning that if they released them right at midnight, they'd get here 7AM PST/10 AM EST or so. Even then, I'm going to wager it won't be a midnight release for them, so probably expect afternoon/evening.
Better than what I expected, which was like... 9PM/12AM.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130

I like BotW Zelda (because she actually does stuff and feels more like her own character, with her own interests)

However, I wouldn't really care for her being added for Smash - we've got three versions of Link and two of Zelda, so I wouldn't be that hyped to get another variation on the Triforce trio. The only exception perhaps would be Ganon who, while not my ideal Zelda pick, would certainly look and play entirely differently from Dorf and the rest of the Zelda cast

While it's been a long time since we got our last Zelda character in Smash, I wouldn't want another one just for the sake of it if there was little difference between them and existing fighters

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Better than what I expected, which was like... 9PM/12AM.
9 PM is still a possibility, but I don't think Byleth'll seep into the 29th range for America.

That's also not considering UK time, I believe they're also listed for the 29th. Don't even know what time would constitute for you guys vs. Japan because it's 5 AM and I don't feel like timezone math, lol

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

As much as I adore BotW Zelda, I'd rather see her as a literal outfit for Ultimate Zelda (infact, character costume DLC has been a big want of mine for a while..)
Impa, Pig Ganon, or even Tingle would be a better Zelda rep choice.

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
BOTW 2 Zelda in Smash ? I have to say, if we HAVE to get another Zelda as a newcomer, I would much prefer a completly different archetype, like a Music Based moveset with SS Zelda (Which is always what I wished Sheik would have instead of being a Smash OC), or the Phantom Armor with Spirit Zelda, it would offer something really new while sticking to that dumb rule of "Triforce Users only" (Which I don't believe, but let's humor it since the conversation is about that)
But if we really have to get Triforce Users ... We could at least get the different characters that had them, like Yuga for the ToP, or Midna and Tetra for the ToW, it would offer some variety in this ... Sad Zelda roster ...

In anyways, being an active member of the Zelda fanbase in Smash, people seem pretty open to a lot of different characters, even if they have their favorite, you're gonna see things like Toad Vs Waluigi Vs Geno way more often than Midna Vs Skull Kid Vs Impa, Zelda fans are pretty inclusive in general

D

Deleted member

Except Banjo.

I kid, I kid. I actually dislike a few of his move choices (forward air should be Pack Whack for visual flavor, for instance), but more than that I dislike how half-hearted his unique mechanic is. 5 Gold Feathers seems like an arbitrary way to acknowledge his collectathon origins. If they expanded on it it'd make him much more interesting, especially since lots of people think he's a bit underbaked as well.
  • Up B in mid-air is a Flight Pad, which uses one Red Feather. You can Up B multiple times while in mid-air, but each time it uses a Red Feather, of which he only has 15 total. (Grounded Up-Bs are still Shock Spring Pad jumps, and you get a vastly weakened Shock Spring Jump if you're out of Red Feathers and in mid-air)
  • Side B after using a Flight Pad is a Beak Bomber, essentially a weaker Wonder Wing that uses a Red Feather
  • Shield + B is Egg Change which affects Neutral B. He can switch between regular eggs (50), fire eggs (20) and ice eggs (10). Fire eggs burn while ice eggs can freeze, obviously.
  • His collectibles can all appear from containers if items are turned on. When collected by someone other than Banjo, Eggs heal, red feathers increase mobility temporarily and golden feathers grant short invincibility
He's easily my favorite character pick so far but that doesn't stop me from thinking he could be improved.
Exactly, exactly.

All the characters aren't exactly gonna be as well-received as sacred cows, because that's kind of reality in that nobody is perfect. Cloud gets bashed, Joker gets bashed, and practically everyone gets bashed in some way. Then again, this isn't exactly a "perfect game" for everyone.

Point is, nobody should expect a perfect pleasing response from everyone even if they have been requested for many years.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I probably won't be able to play them on Tuesday anyway since I work the night shift, so no biggie.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Hmm.....nah, too.....complex. I like the simple moveset.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
Except Banjo.

Honestly I kinda feel the same way about Joker.
He was one of my most wanted and I was delighted when he was announced, but since he was released i couldn't shake the feeling that i was underwhelmed by his moveset.
It also stings that he is the only newcomer in the Fighter Pass with a counter as a Down B when he had a ton potential.
I feel being able to control when to summon Arsene and having anything else as a Down B would have a big enough improvement for my appreciation.
I still like Joker as a character, but like you said that doesn't mean i'm 100% fine with how he was implemented.

I think that when Sakurai talks about having a low budget he mainly refers to how he can't go crazy with movesets or stage design or how he can't get to many music pieces for the content in the DLC packs (then again the Fighter Pass characters still have more content than Ryu and Cloud DLCs from Sm4sh as well being more balanced, so I guess I guess it could have been worse).

NixF

Smash Cadet
I did some timezone math based on the following facts from Byleth's presentation:
  • It should be 29th for both Japan and UK.
  • It should be 28th for US (for both EST and PST).

Here's the earliest possible time for release (link for image: https://i.ibb.co/cJhPtXP/start.png)

And here's the latest possible time for release (link for image again: https://i.ibb.co/vhc4WG9/end.png)

So we're looking here at a 4-hours release window.
Starting from 4 PM PST/7 PM EST to 8 PM PST/11 PM EST.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom