• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I'm just going to say this one more time.

Please, for the love of god, stop labeling everything in speculation as a "fan rule".

It may depend on who is saying it and how it's being articulated, but I have not once said that "Spirits disconfirm" is a "fan rule". It is a conclusion I have come to based on what I've seen as evidence from precedent. It is literally the definition of an informed opinion or speculation...otherwise known as what this forum was made for.

If you want to just cast things you don't agree with as a "fan rule" then go ahead and continue to do so. But it really has gotten old fast, because it just seems as though that's how it's being used. I don't think anybody here seriously thinks it's a rule that has to guide all of speculation.

If you ask me, it shouldn't be ignored or totally believed. I could just as easily say, "Popularity gets a character in? Fan rule! We get characters that aren't the definition of popular all the time!"

You want to talk about shutting down conversation? "Fan rule!" will do it.
This

It gets so frustrating when all of my arguments against Spirits gets met witht the “fanrule” card.

Ironically, it only renforces my beliefs about Spirits, because it shows that the Pro Spirit camp has no arguments for my points.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Care to explain why that is conveniently the only potential ones that are missing Spirits? Last person I asked this completely dodged this question,
Because they were planned to be in since before release? Again, what is so hard to understand about this. Piranah Plant didn't have a base game spirit because they were planned as DLC. Three Houses didn't have an event because they were planned as DLC. Base-game spirits were there because they weren't planned as DLC, and they originally planned to do only the 5 pass characters. They've decided to do more, so those characters are back on the table.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice

Please, for the love of god, stop labeling everything in speculation as a "fan rule".

It may depend on who is saying it and how it's being articulated, but I have not once said that "Spirits disconfirm" is a "fan rule". It is a conclusion I have come to based on what I've seen as evidence from precedent. It is literally the definition of an informed opinion or speculation...otherwise known as what this forum was made for.

If you want to just cast things you don't agree with as a "fan rule" then go ahead and continue to do so. But it really has gotten old fast, because it just seems as though that's how it's being used. I don't think anybody here seriously thinks it's a rule that has to guide all of speculation.

If you ask me, it shouldn't be ignored or totally believed. I could just as easily say, "Popularity gets a character in? Fan rule! We get characters that aren't the definition of popular all the time!"

To be honest, the "spirits deconfirm" argument is used basically everywhere and in a lot of cases, people are using it as a rule. "They can't be in because they're a spirit" is a comment I've read almost everywhere whenever someone hopes or speculates about a specific spirit character being DLC. There's a big difference between someone here saying "I don't think spirit upgrades are likely" and some other guy saying "spirits deconfirm, your character is not being added." In the latter, they are very much using it as a rule, while the former is completely sensible speculation (even if I don't agree with it of course).

So it's understandable that some people are a bit quick to mention the fanrule aspect of things considering the widespread use of the spirits deconfirm argument in the Smash community. And I surely never viewed your take on spirits being the same as just someone using it as a fanrule.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

I do agree that people tend to throw the term "fan rule" way to willy nilly.

Like you say you'd like to see some new gaming genre's represented in Smash and people somehow assuming that you're making up a "fan rule" rather than just something you'd personally like to see.

Like of course I know "genre rep" isn't a "rule" and I never claimed it to be, we got a bunch of JRPG characters as DLC for Smash after all and I'm sure we'll be seeing more of those in the next pass too.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out...

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
This is likely coming from a biased standpoint, but I can’t imagine a scenario where Spike Chunsoft is directly involved like that, and Monokuma isn’t chosen. (Just my opinion though)

Especially since Sakurai loves the Danganronpa series.
There's no rule that a company can't have more than one character per pass. I'd even argue Dangropa/PMD would be one of the more likely combos, because the latter is partially Nintendo.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
This

It gets so frustrating when all of my arguments against Spirits gets met witht the “fanrule” card.

Ironically, it only renforces my beliefs about Spirits, because it shows that the Pro Spirit camp has no arguments for my points.
The argument is that it's a fictitious rule currently. Sakurai does not operate under the assumptions of fans. Sakurai has historically gone back on his word and changed his mind many times. You honestly think a rule that's made up by fans is not going to be broken? Even if he did create spirits in mind to help flesh out representation. He can easily decide to go back on whatever character he wants - Ridley is too big. Villager has no moveset potential. Bayonetta has guns. He is a man that can and will change his mind, IF, he actually decided to make spirits in place of fighters - WHICH we do not know that was his intentions. He certainly didn't intend to make 2 rounds of DLC based on what he's said in presentations.

How many times do speculators have to be wrong before we stop acting like we know everything. A healthy bit of skepticism is good. But taking a hard stance on anything is dumb.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
It's time for a Scoliosis Jones prediction/desired choice DLC Season 2! Credit to @N3ON for creating the image for me, I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

View attachment 259541

This is definitely mixed between desires and thoughts on what we could see. I'll go over each of the picks and point out some runners-up/other ideas I thought about:
Dante- Self-explanatory. He's a highly popular video game character that can start things off strong, and is arguably one of the more notable Capcom characters absent from Ultimate currently. He's capable of the style-switching gameplay mechanic, as well as activating Devil Trigger...with his personality, he's definitely one of my favorite potential picks.

2B- I'll admit it...I haven't played Nier Automata yet, but once I finish Half-Life 2 it's my next game. 2B is essentially a gaming icon of the modern era. There's plenty for her to bring to Smash aside from the booty, and I frankly love her design. While her home game isn't on Switch, that hasn't really played as much of a role in terms of ruling out characters.

Crash- If I were in charge, I'd place Crash, a total gaming icon and classic mascot, in the middle to really spice things up. While 2B is a modern icon, and Dante has been proven to be somewhat of an "evergreen" icon, Crash is a true megaton pick. Fans of all ages would likely freak, and the matchup of Mario vs. Sonic vs. Crash in the same game would finally become a reality.

Travis Touchdown- Another character whose home game I never played (I may have an interest in playing No More Heroes at some point), but based on Sakurai's relationship with Suda I have to wonder if he's in the cards. As a "smaller" 3rd party, I think he's definitely in the running.

Lloyd Irving- Tales of Symphonia is one of my favorite games. I have nostalgia for playing through it, and the combat of Tales is something that I feel would translate well to Smash. Being the "Tales" pick of Sakurai, I can totally see him happening.

Sora- While Smash has never been one for finales, I think Sora would be an even larger megaton pick than Crash. If this is to be the final set of characters, I struggle to think of any particular character that would make a bigger splash. The gameplay of Kingdom Hearts is likely a good fit for Smash, as is the music (like, I'd **** myself if this was put into Smash).

I am aware that there may not be a "surprise" factor, as I wasn't exactly sure who to add. This is a mix of desire and expectation, though. Not 100% both, nor is it 100% going to happen!

Runners-up:

Heihachi- I think there's something to be said about the matchup of Mario v Ryu v Terry v Heihachi or Jin, but I have to wonder if making Heihachi more true to Tekken is what holds Sakurai back from implementing him. Otherwise, I'm a supporter.

A Nintendo character- While I don't think upgrades are going to happen, I think there's a possibility of a Nintendo pick. Thing is...I have no idea who to pick besides maybe Euden from Dragalia Lost. From what I've seen, he'd be pretty cool!

Phoenix Wright- As I see Spirits as non-eligible, I feel that Phoenix Wright would be a potential choice if Sakurai went for the more "Nintendo" pick. Ace Attorney is another series in my list of "games to play" especially since i picked up the physical games in the series.

Dark Souls- After some thinking, I get the feeling that Dark Souls could end up being Mii Fighter costumes. However, I do think a reverse meter mechanic regarding stamina could work for this particular character.

Bethesda- I thought about Bethesda games, but it would appear they're all rated around the "adult" range in Japan. We've yet to see something with that sort of rating make it into Smash, and with Doom Slayer getting the shaft, I have to wonder if anything else is coming from them to begin with.

Tracer- I absolutely love the idea of Tracer in Smash, and I think she'd work great in Smash. Honestly, she might make a good "didn't expect that!" pick. But I feel as though if Activision/Blizzard were going to discuss a pick, they'd opt for Crash just based on his standing as a character in the industry.

Gordon Freeman- To be honest, I have no idea if Valve would ever be contacted. But having just recently started Half-Life 2, Gordon seems like the type of character that, like Tracer, would be a "didn't expect that one!" pick. Granted...I'm not exactly sure how he'd play, or what he'd really do to stand out.

There are other choices I thought about, but these are just a few!
What do you think?
I think we'll see at least one of these guys make it in.

The closest thing to a pattern we've seen in this games DLC is that they are games Sakurai himself is a fan of (Banjo being the big exception) so i think that'll continue here, and I'm pretty sure he's a fan of some of these.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

The closest thing to a pattern we've seen in this games DLC is that they are games Sakurai himself is a fan of (Banjo being the big exception) so i think that'll continue here, and I'm pretty sure he's a fan of some of these.
Crash is the only character I'm confident in making into this Pass.

The rest could be anyone really.

LipeCau

Smash Cadet
For FP1 I was always on the side of no spirit upgrades, and I'm still on the side of no assist trophies upgrade because that was kinda always the point of them.
As for FPv2, I think that base game spirits are ok to upgrade because of basically 3 things:
1. Lucas was upgraded from trophy to spirit in Smash 4;
2. There are a lot of spirits in the base game that would be way too obvious to become characters if omitted;
3. Geno. He's basically the last "impossible" character that's been always asked for, his costume is still nowhere to be seen and his spirit battle is very weird. We could've got a Mii battle with costume and Beware of the Forest's Mushrooms, instead we got Sheik and a random Mario song. I honestly think he's coming *at least* as an upgraded costume with his music track as a bonus (like Sans and Cuphead).

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

The only problem is that there's a seemingly endless number of games people say Sakurai is a fan of. It's one of the most popular arguments to make a character seem likely.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I think there's a world of difference between a Base game spirit and DLC spirit on the subject of Fighters pass vol 2. I think base game spirits (and Assists for that matter) do have a shot for Vol 2 because things obviously can change as the game ages. However, What I will say hurts the chances is the fact that they will come with a spirit board and most 1st party characters already have their series represented plentifully. It's not a death knell, but it is a hindrance. Using Ayumi Tachibana as an Example (mainly because she's a rather non-controversial pick) you can easily make her a DLC character. She has a remake coming out and you can easily make a Spirit board with the new art. Regardless, I do think assists would be promoted first because several of those have more star power than the character stuck as spirit exclusive barring Dixie and maybe Bandanna dee depending on your stance (Not mine).

To be honest, the "spirits deconfirm" argument is used basically everywhere and in a lot of cases, people are using it as a rule. "They can't be in because they're a spirit" is a comment I've read almost everywhere whenever someone hopes or speculates about a specific spirit character being DLC. There's a big difference between someone here saying "I don't think spirit upgrades are likely" and some other guy saying "spirits deconfirm, your character is not being added." In the latter, they are very much using it as a rule, while the former is completely sensible speculation (even if I don't agree with it of course).

So it's understandable that some people are a bit quick to mention the fanrule aspect of things considering the widespread use of the spirits deconfirm argument in the Smash community. And I surely never viewed your take on spirits being the same as just someone using it as a fanrule.
There's a reason I try to word my words carefully when discussing characters. I never have said "We aren't getting western characters" and have always used some variant of "It's my belief we won't get many, if any, western characters". If you're presenting something as a defacto statement, then you're not putting it forth as speculation, you're presenting it as fact. THis is what gets the "fan rule" sentiment.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I think there's a world of difference between a Base game spirit and DLC spirit on the subject of Fighters pass vol 2. I think base game spirits (and Assists for that matter) do have a shot for Vol 2 because things obviously can change as the game ages. However, What I will say hurts the chances is the fact that they will come with a spirit board and most 1st party characters already have their series represented plentifully. It's not a death knell, but it is a hindrance. Using Ayumi Tachibana as an Example (mainly because she's a rather non-controversial pick) you can easily make her a DLC character. She has a remake coming out and you can easily make a Spirit board with the new art. Regardless, I do think assists would be promoted first because several of those have more star power than the character stuck as spirit exclusive barring Dixie and maybe Bandanna dee depending on your stance (Not mine).

There's a reason I try to word my words carefully when discussing characters. I never have said "We aren't getting western characters" and have always used some variant of "It's my belief we won't get many, if any, western characters". If you're presenting something as a defacto statement, then you're not putting it forth as speculation, you're presenting it as fact. THis is what gets the "fan rule" sentiment.
Pretty much my thoughts on possible spirits/AT upgrades. I feel like calling them "impossible" is shortsighted, but I think they're all incredibly unlikely and I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get any.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
If anything, Crash is most likely an E3 pick to be paired with another Japanese pick. Worked with last year's.
Crash feels more like a solo reveal. He alone would cause massive hype for Nintendo at E3

D

Deleted member

Crash feels more like a solo reveal. He alone would cause massive hype for Nintendo at E3
Just for clarity, how popular is he in Japan?

he's a worldwide game icon

Yeah but...Nintendo loves their surprise picks. Trust me, one ain't enough.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Not a perfect illustration, but his game debuted at 5th with 30K copies sold when it the Trilogy came out. It's decent, but nothing world shattering in the way of the JP sales.

I think the biggest hurdle is how he's represented in Japan to be more cutesy compared to the "cool" everywhere else.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I recall his first game on the Playstation sold as many as any Mario games IIRC. Somewhere around those lines at least.

D

Deleted member

Not a perfect illustration, but his game debuted at 5th with 30K copies sold when it the Trilogy came out. It's decent, but nothing world shattering in the way of the JP sales.

I think the biggest hurdle is how he's represented in Japan to be more cutesy compared to the "cool" everywhere else.

It's up to Sakurai to decide...I guess?

But yeah. Best way to please everyone is the double reveal. Let both sides have their fun.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

I think a solo reveal could go well...Terry (and especially Byleth) didn’t go too well compared to someone like Joker, but Crash is a bigger star in comparison

...ew

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Crash topped in polls in japans smash 64 voting poll

Even beating sonic and megaman

I think hes ugliest mascot character in existence but I wont be surprised if he gets in

D

Deleted member

I think a solo reveal could go well...Terry (and especially Byleth) didn’t go too well compared to someone like Joker, but Crash is a bigger star in comparison
It's really up to Nintendo to call the shots. But my feeling is that it would be a double reveal. One ain't enough because it's ****ing E3.

I think hes ugliest mascot character in existence but I wont be surprised if he gets in
I admire your bravery.

Woah, over my blue bois? Even BK? I was today years old when I knew of it.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

After getting:ultsonic:and:ultmegaman:followed by:ultkrool::ultridley:and:ultbanjokazooie:I would say Crash is almost certainly guarantee. I'll be surprised if he doesn't.

D

Deleted member

After getting:ultsonic:and:ultmegaman:followed by:ultkrool::ultridley:and:ultbanjokazooie:I would say Crash is almost certainly guarantee. I'll be surprised if he doesn't.
Pretty much.

Post-BK, Western characters are free game. Plus he resonates with the younger and older audiences. I'd say he's a pick that's gonna make everyone happy.

Can't wait for KirbyGCN17 (aka The Store)'s video when it happens; it'll be a rave party.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
It's really up to Nintendo to call the shots. But my feeling is that it would be a double reveal. One ain't enough because it's ****ing E3.

I admire your bravery.

Woah, over my blue bois? Even BK? I was today years old when I knew of it.
E3 is kinda starting to feels downgraded as time goes by unfortunately. Other than Sony, I don’t really know why
Weirdly I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t get in, but I still want him

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Lol he’s basically the opposite of American Kirby Is Hardcore

I call it, Japanese Crash Bandicoot Is Kawaii

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I like Crash but I'm not sure I understand how those characters lead to him being guaranteed.
As Shwampy said.

He topped Sonic and Mega Man in Japan's Smash 64 polls and he's still top in other polls today making at least the top 5. Honestly I feel not having Crash in Smash will feel very incomplete given his legendary gaming status.

D

Deleted member

E3 is kinda starting to feels downgraded as time goes by unfortunately. Other than Sony, I don’t really know why
WhY iS nInTeNdO aLwAyS wInNiNg EvErYtHiNg????

As Shwampy said.

He topped Sonic and Mega Man in Japan's Smash 64 polls and he's still top in other polls today making at least the top 5. Honestly I feel not having Crash in Smash will feel very incomplete given his legendary gaming status.
Uhhhmmm....I'd say the same.

D

Deleted member

It's time for a Scoliosis Jones prediction/desired choice DLC Season 2! Credit to @N3ON for creating the image for me, I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

View attachment 259541

This is definitely mixed between desires and thoughts on what we could see. I'll go over each of the picks and point out some runners-up/other ideas I thought about:
Dante- Self-explanatory. He's a highly popular video game character that can start things off strong, and is arguably one of the more notable Capcom characters absent from Ultimate currently. He's capable of the style-switching gameplay mechanic, as well as activating Devil Trigger...with his personality, he's definitely one of my favorite potential picks.

2B- I'll admit it...I haven't played Nier Automata yet, but once I finish Half-Life 2 it's my next game. 2B is essentially a gaming icon of the modern era. There's plenty for her to bring to Smash aside from the booty, and I frankly love her design. While her home game isn't on Switch, that hasn't really played as much of a role in terms of ruling out characters.

Crash- If I were in charge, I'd place Crash, a total gaming icon and classic mascot, in the middle to really spice things up. While 2B is a modern icon, and Dante has been proven to be somewhat of an "evergreen" icon, Crash is a true megaton pick. Fans of all ages would likely freak, and the matchup of Mario vs. Sonic vs. Crash in the same game would finally become a reality.

Travis Touchdown- Another character whose home game I never played (I may have an interest in playing No More Heroes at some point), but based on Sakurai's relationship with Suda I have to wonder if he's in the cards. As a "smaller" 3rd party, I think he's definitely in the running.

Lloyd Irving- Tales of Symphonia is one of my favorite games. I have nostalgia for playing through it, and the combat of Tales is something that I feel would translate well to Smash. Being the "Tales" pick of Sakurai, I can totally see him happening.

Sora- While Smash has never been one for finales, I think Sora would be an even larger megaton pick than Crash. If this is to be the final set of characters, I struggle to think of any particular character that would make a bigger splash. The gameplay of Kingdom Hearts is likely a good fit for Smash, as is the music (like, I'd **** myself if this was put into Smash).

I am aware that there may not be a "surprise" factor, as I wasn't exactly sure who to add. This is a mix of desire and expectation, though. Not 100% both, nor is it 100% going to happen!

Runners-up:

Heihachi- I think there's something to be said about the matchup of Mario v Ryu v Terry v Heihachi or Jin, but I have to wonder if making Heihachi more true to Tekken is what holds Sakurai back from implementing him. Otherwise, I'm a supporter.

A Nintendo character- While I don't think upgrades are going to happen, I think there's a possibility of a Nintendo pick. Thing is...I have no idea who to pick besides maybe Euden from Dragalia Lost. From what I've seen, he'd be pretty cool!

Phoenix Wright- As I see Spirits as non-eligible, I feel that Phoenix Wright would be a potential choice if Sakurai went for the more "Nintendo" pick. Ace Attorney is another series in my list of "games to play" especially since i picked up the physical games in the series.

Dark Souls- After some thinking, I get the feeling that Dark Souls could end up being Mii Fighter costumes. However, I do think a reverse meter mechanic regarding stamina could work for this particular character.

Bethesda- I thought about Bethesda games, but it would appear they're all rated around the "adult" range in Japan. We've yet to see something with that sort of rating make it into Smash, and with Doom Slayer getting the shaft, I have to wonder if anything else is coming from them to begin with.

Tracer- I absolutely love the idea of Tracer in Smash, and I think she'd work great in Smash. Honestly, she might make a good "didn't expect that!" pick. But I feel as though if Activision/Blizzard were going to discuss a pick, they'd opt for Crash just based on his standing as a character in the industry.

Gordon Freeman- To be honest, I have no idea if Valve would ever be contacted. But having just recently started Half-Life 2, Gordon seems like the type of character that, like Tracer, would be a "didn't expect that one!" pick. Granted...I'm not exactly sure how he'd play, or what he'd really do to stand out.

There are other choices I thought about, but these are just a few!
What do you think?
This is great!
Seems like crash is in everyone’s minds right now

also I think you should consider Master chief as another runner up

Krankees

Smash Ace
Crash has been nowhere near as in demand as last three. Like Crash has been a popular pick in the last few months or so.
Back in smash 4, I've always heard demand on the internet for :ultbanjokazooie::ultridley::ultkrool:. Never heard demand for crash until recently.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Demand or not I can still honestly imagine Sakurai choosing Crash as among the six due to not only being an video game icon but obviously being fun to play since as he stated "Its more important for a character to be fun".

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Demand or not I can still honestly imagine Sakurai choosing Crash as among the six due to not only being an video game icon but obviously being fun to play since as he stated "Its more important for a character to be fun".
Also there is a decent chance that the selection process for FP2 where Nintendo purposes a fighter to Sakurai then Sakurai decides if he can make it work or not. So that is another hurdle that Crash might have to go through.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ed_dlc_fighters_for_super_smash_bros_ultimate

Also I wonder what weird purposes for characters Nintendo had for Sakurai that Sakurai had to reject for one reason or another?

Same but with Doom Slayer. In my words and experience at least.
Same here, I am a Doom Slayer supporting, but he only started gaining traction in like the last year or so.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
The argument is that it's a fictitious rule currently. Sakurai does not operate under the assumptions of fans. Sakurai has historically gone back on his word and changed his mind many times. You honestly think a rule that's made up by fans is not going to be broken? Even if he did create spirits in mind to help flesh out representation. He can easily decide to go back on whatever character he wants - Ridley is too big. Villager has no moveset potential. Bayonetta has guns. He is a man that can and will change his mind, IF, he actually decided to make spirits in place of fighters - WHICH we do not know that was his intentions. He certainly didn't intend to make 2 rounds of DLC based on what he's said in presentations.

How many times do speculators have to be wrong before we stop acting like we know everything. A healthy bit of skepticism is good. But taking a hard stance on anything is dumb.
Its either the “fanrule” card, or the “B-BUT SAKURAI CAN CHANGE HIS MIND” card.

Thanks for giving the most predictable answer possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom