• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Although hasn't there always been an direct in February? Amiibo theory ended up proving true as it always had so we shouldn't rule out this possibility just yet.

Also I thought the December 31st, 2021 date was a place holder or something?

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Although hasn't there always been an direct in February? Amiibo theory ended up proving true as it always had so we shouldn't rule out this possibility just yet.

Also I thought the December 31st, 2021 date was a place holder or something?
For the last 2 years yes. I don't really expect them to wait until March with this, small stuff seems to be leaking out every week at this point and they have announced almost NOTHING concrete for 2020, its actually pretty ridiculous at this point. Animal Crossing seems like a perfect canidate to get it's own mini-direct before release as well, given that they've had one before already for Welcome Amiibo and it really seems like there is alot we don't know about it yet.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I saw this a few days ago, this template looks real fun because of how specific it is.

As for me, the choices I'd go for are:

6) Adol Christin (Ys)
7) Paper Mario
8) 2B (NieR: Automata)
9) Reimu Hakurei (Touhou)
10) Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
11) Master Chief (Halo)
6) Mike Jones (Stat Tropics)
7) Bonk
8) Crono
9) Bald Bull (Punch Out/Arm Wrestling)
10) Vaati (Zelda)
11) Tamogatchi

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
6. Isaac from Golden Sun (I'm counting him as unrepresented because he's doesn't have any playable reps)
7. Scorpion from Mortal Kombat
8. Geno from Super Mario RPG
9. Lara Croft from Tomb Raider (definitely not unknown, but hardly ever talked about)
10. Rex and Pyra/Mythra from Xenoblade Chronicles 2
11. Crash Bandicoot (2 months ago, I would have put Rayman, but I've really warmed up to the idea of Crash being the next big, "Banjo-level" addition)

As I'm looking at this, I really would be super content with this. I would be completely satisfied.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I saw this a few days ago, this template looks real fun because of how specific it is.

As for me, the choices I'd go for are:

6) Adol Christin (Ys)
7) Paper Mario
8) 2B (NieR: Automata)
9) Reimu Hakurei (Touhou)
10) Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
11) Master Chief (Halo)
1) Maxwell? I don't quite get this one.
2) Bandana Dee
3) Steve (for a friend offline)
4) Grovyle
5) Megaman X
6) a non-Video Game character.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
And reminder again December 31st, 2021 is a placeholder as nessdeltarune00 pointed out. Not said character will be announced for February as he/she could still be for March or E3 but just bringing it up again.

D

Deleted member

I’m only expecting 6 to be at e3 at the earliest
And hopefully for me it would tie in with the master chief collection for chief if it’s announced in the next direct just like :ulthero:with dq11s

Last edited by a moderator:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Guys I have made a discovery with the river city spirit event
So after completing it I’ve noticed the spirits were supposed to come after byleth is released. They are numbers 1394-1397 while the Lappy spirit before this was 1379. But here’s the catch after counting the three houses spirits plus the 2 byleth fighter spirits it would be a total of 1390 all together minus the river city spirits but since the total would be 1390 & the river city series spirits starts at 1394, 3 of those three houses spirits must be enhanceable

and those three must be the house lords

meaning we’re getting their timeskip appearances once they enhance
we already knew this from the press kit

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
December 31st is just a placeholder date. I highly doubt that we will have to wait until E3 to get the first character of FP2 anyways.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
December 31st is just a placeholder date. I highly doubt that we will have to wait until E3 to get the first character of FP2 anyways.
February is still possible but at this point I'm expecting March at the earliest. Still a good chance though we might have to wait until E3.

If lucky maybe we'll get an Joker like tease back in 2018's VGA in March.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Sakurai said it will take some time until Fighter 6 gets revealed anyways.

But at least I won’t have to wait two years until Fighter Pass 2 is complete.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Regardless when FP6 gets revealed whether February, March or E3 lets just enjoy the fact we have a THE ultimate Smash game with not only everyone back from previous installments but so far a total roster of 80 (82) playable characters!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think that Sakurai would want an extended "dead period" where there's nothing going on except Spirit events because that would lead to people getting bored and dropping Ultimate leading to decreased sales for Fighter Pass 2.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
I don't know, E3 seems like an awfully long time away from making the second fighters pass available for purchase. I feel like they might want to announce the next character a bit faster than that to push sales.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't think that Sakurai would want an extended "dead period" where there's nothing going on except Spirit events because that would lead to people getting bored and dropping Ultimate leading to decreased sales for Fighter Pass 2.
So, are we going to ignore the wait between Joker and Hero or...?

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't know, E3 seems like an awfully long time away from making the second fighters pass available for purchase. I feel like they might want to announce the next character a bit faster than that to push sales.
I'm inclined to agree with you. It doesn't make sense financially to hold off the reveal of the first Fighter Pass 2 character until E3.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Regardless when FP6 gets revealed whether February, March or E3 lets just enjoy the fact we have a THE ultimate Smash game with not only everyone back from previous installments but so far a total roster of 80 (82) playable characters!
I'd be the first to admit, there are so many things I wish could be done with Smash Ultimate more. More functions for stage builder, having up to like five stages for stage morph and more.

However I also realise that it is one of the biggest achievements in gaming history for the simple reason of getting all these characters. If you include alts and stuff we'll have about 100 characters and technically about 330 stages if you include other forms. That's insane.

As for people thinking about FP2, I'm thinking maybe a tease in the next Direct. I'm hoping his team can think of something during the down periods but who knows.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Piranha Plant and Joker himself both dropped in that timeframe, along with the inclusion of many new features (most notably Stage Builder).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
To be fair, Sakurai wasn't really planning on revealing Joker so early at the Game Awards initially. He'd probably would have been revealed at that one Direct where they showed off his backside in a dark background...

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'd be the first to admit, there are so many things I wish could be done with Smash Ultimate more. More functions for stage builder, having up to like five stages for stage morph and more.
That'd be great but it is understandable why as Sakurai brought every character back from previous installments. Although I don't know why more modes and such couldn't continued to be added through updates like how Home Run Contest was. I'd love to see the return of Break the Targets, Board the Platforms, All-Star Mode and Boss Rush (With additional bosses as well).

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
That'd be great but it is understandable why as Sakurai brought every character back from previous installments. Although I don't know why more modes and such couldn't continued to be added through updates like how Home Run Contest was. I'd love to see the return of Break the Targets, Board the Platforms, All-Star Mode and Boss Rush (With additional bosses as well).
We have six more update patches to go. Some more modes might be added.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Then again though like all of us Sakurai is human and for him to go this far is more then enough giving his fans notably us what we've wanted all these years so its better we got this game as a whole then nothing. Why we should respect Sakurai for what he's done for all of us giving us such an amazing franchise and game like this. ^_^

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'm not sure if that's a really applicable comparison since we did get a new mode and two character releases during that time period while we won't get any new modes and characters if we assume E3 will be the first reveal of FP2. The wait between Joker and Hero was during the first six months of the game's life, which made the wait slightly more bearable because people were getting their hands on Ultimate for the first time and discovering new things. A year after the game's release and a lot of people are bound to lose interest. You don't announce a season pass and leave it's contents mysterious for six months, most people besides the hardcore fans will forget about Smash if nothing new is revealed until E3.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm not sure if that's a really applicable comparison since we did get a new mode and two character releases during that time period while we won't get any new modes and characters if we assume E3 will be the first reveal of FP2. The wait between Joker and Hero was during the first six months of the game's life, which made the wait slightly more bearable because people were getting their hands on Ultimate for the first time and discovering new things. A year after the game's release and a lot of people are bound to lose interest. You don't announce a season pass and leave it's contents mysterious for six months, most people besides the hardcore fans will forget about Smash if nothing new is revealed until E3.
That's why I think that we will get a new character revealed in either February or March.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'm gonna be bold and say spring reveal, summer release for the next Fighter. It would be strange to have Fighter's Pass: Volume 2 up for half a year with literally no idea what's in it. I'd imagine it will be similar to Joker and Terry, where we get a shadow drop as a preview and actually see gameplay at a later date. In particular, I think we'll see the reveal during a spring direct, followed by gameplay and a release date reveal at E3.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Regarding the long wait times between reveals, I'd say for myself that leaving fans in the open dead air is never a good idea. I'd say guve it until February or March for it to stay healthy.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
"Dimitri - Five Years Later (Fire Emblem)"

From now on that's the official name for Dimitri

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm not saying we'll get complete radio silence until E3.

It's just we can absolutely get long waits between reveals and I think a lot of people jump the gun with a February reveal.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'm not saying we'll get complete radio silence until E3.

It's just we can absolutely get long waits between reveals and I think a lot of people jump the gun with a February reveal.
Ahh sorry if I misunderstood your original post then. I agree that long waits can happen, but Nintendo still has to sell their second fighters pass. The more they prolong the wait for the reveal the more potential pass sales they could lose. Even a teaser is enough, it worked with Joker.

UnknownTemptation

Smash Rookie
I just wanna see an update to the Classic Mode Mural with the DLC added on there when the pass is done. That picture is epic. Sakurai KNOWS he couldn’t make us wait 6 months...just for
Character 6. Character 7 by May or June E3 Reveal?
That makes more sense. A possible late Summer release for them. Fighter 8 would come in the Fall only to potentially repeat the cycle again for next year with those final 3. With that 12/31/21
ending date for Pass 2. Just makes me wonder if we’re likely just gonna get 3 Fighters this year.
3 fighters next year. I think we’ll get Character 6
in about 2 months released. Meaning Between Fighters 6 and 7. The wait times will likely be almost the same as it was for Pass 1.
I also find it extremely likely that this next one will be potential Joker level or someone Major that’s different and probably 3rd Party again.
I do somewhat believe the mix of 1st and 3rd for this pass but it’s hard to tell atm. When Byleth shows up. Hopefully we could potentially get even a little more info and if not then the February Direct would be the way to go for that reveal. March is also another possibility as well for the Direct. While many leaks have been shot down while we still have those handful of leaks that have yet to be disproven.
Such as that Ryu Hayabusa/Reimu/Crash situation and I genuinely WOULD be happy if those 3 were coming. At least to me they make a lot of sense for Smash but I could be entirely wrong. There’s always many others out there too that fit right in as well.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Nintendo will eventually put a Direct to start spring season. They do it on the month before the next season
Spring- February
Summer- June
Fall- September
Winter- November

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo will eventually put a Direct to start spring season. They do it on the month before the next season
Spring- February
Summer- June
Fall- September
Winter- November
We didn't get a general direct in Winter last year or the year before that, but it is possible we get another Smash focused presentation in November

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I think people are holding that December 2021 date as too much of a definite. It's a placeholder like on Amazon. Sakurai and team managed 5 characters over the course of a year and ahead of schedule by a month (Feb 29th), what proof do we have that suddenly it's gonna take 2 years for 6? I think we're getting an announcement before E3.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
You can say this is Joker's situation atm.

It's very easy to say he's OP but only 2 people so far have shown actual promise with the character.
No offense, but I'm not going to take the opinion of someone with a Joker avatar on whether Joker is OP or not.

As for a character that's not fun, you can say that for basically any character.

I've heard people say it's not fun to go against Ness, Lucas, Ganon, Bayonetta, Zelda, etc.
I wasn't talking about being fun to play against. Obviously it's never fun to play against someone with a massive skill gap.

I'm talking about overly complicated characters aren't fun for lower skill players to play AS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom