• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I like to play random characters offline, and I drew three Fire Emblem characters in a row.
I feel the Byleth haters' pain.
But to be fair, Chrom is one of my secondary mains, so I liked drawing him.
Ugh... Y'know what game really needs an HD remake? Fire Emblem Awakening. Give THAT game the home console remake.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Say, that pic of the day is awfully similar to the opening of 3H... Could this be a hint that a 3H character is DLC?
No, because it would have made more sense to use Simon Belmont instead of Ganondorf.

So insignificant compared to my omnipotence
Though such impertinence is rare so have my condolence
This is all pretend, friend; now watch as I ascend and transcend
Taking on forms you can not comprehend
In the end, I know everything, so let me help ya think
About how many times you died by Link
Talkin' smack about my boy Pit
When you're the one who always gets their butt kicked
Despite all of that power, you still need to be stronger
I'd bash ya with this staff except your nose is longer
Let's try to process your success
You can't even beat a princess, and I'm a Goddess
Now, reflect as you kneel to the ill mirror shield I wield on the battlefield
Bow, as I strut with these miracle, lyrical skills and that sex appeal
It's no big deal
To watch you squeal
Beneath these heels
Before you're sealed
And I'm no cook, but you're mistaken
It took no effort to fry your bacon
With regards to relevancy, I have no fear
Because it's funny how all of you remain bottom tier
We were originally going to go back and forth with this but she f***ing merked him so I gave up.

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
That literally never works for game balance.

Anyone that plays at a competitive level is going to be good enough to master any character. So if you make one character stronger, everyone is going to play it, no matter how difficult it is.

All you accomplish is making a character that's not fun for lower skill players.
You can say this is Joker's situation atm.

It's very easy to say he's OP but only 2 people so far have shown actual promise with the character.

As for a character that's not fun, you can say that for basically any character.

I've heard people say it's not fun to go against Ness, Lucas, Ganon, Bayonetta, Zelda, etc.

"Not fun for other players" isn't a valid reason anymore imo, seeing how it's applicable to any character, and can be used by anyone to justify why they hate a certain character.

It's more how someone plays a certain character, than the actual character itself.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Funny how Heihachi (or rather a Tekken character) is believed to be difficulty to bring to Smash because 3D Fighting game mechanics, but nobody says this about Soul Calibur, a game that relies on 3D movement a lot more than Tekken where the characters can barely jump lol Siegfried and Nightmare for Smash BTW
SoulCalibur has swords.

That’s pretty much why.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I saw this a few days ago, this template looks real fun because of how specific it is.

As for me, the choices I'd go for are:

6) Adol Christin (Ys)
7) Paper Mario
8) 2B (NieR: Automata)
9) Reimu Hakurei (Touhou)
10) Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
11) Master Chief (Halo)
6.) Andy (Advance Wars)
7.) Kyo Kusanagi
8.) 2B
9.) Lara Croft
10.) Rex/Pyra
11.) Crash

RetroBro

Smash Ace
If the majority liked it then Byleth's reception was mostly positive. We're using objectivity as we have actual data beyond loud people making a post or two. So yes, objectively speaking, Byleth's reaction was mostly positive as seen with the data backing it up.

Nah they'll just show off a Joker or something unexpectedly pleasant and rake the money in
Joker wasn't that explosively popular. It was just unexpected.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Finished up my predictions for this fighters pass. I'm confident on about 2 of these. 50/50 on Lloyd/Heihachi and Phoenix/Dante right now and Zed is basically a wild hail mary with a little evidence behind him.
Totally sold on this Pass. Its got Crash and Phoenix.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I saw this a few days ago, this template looks real fun because of how specific it is.

6) Adol Christin (Ys)
7) Paper Mario
11) Master Chief (Halo)
6) NiGHTS (NiGHTS)
7) Dante (Devil May Cry)
8) Master Chief (Halo)
9) Nightmare (Soul Calibur)
10) Ghirahim (The Legend of Zelda)
11) Kratos (God of War)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Finished up my predictions for this fighters pass. I'm confident on about 2 of these. 50/50 on Lloyd/Heihachi and Phoenix/Dante right now and Zed is basically a wild hail mary with a little evidence behind him.

View attachment 259437
League of Legends?

That's a first. Always expected the MMO/MOBA rep to be either a WoW or RuneScape character.

D

Deleted member

Guys I have made a discovery with the river city spirit event
So after completing it I’ve noticed the spirits were supposed to come after byleth is released. They are numbers 1394-1397 while the Lappy spirit before this was 1379. But here’s the catch after counting the three houses spirits plus the 2 byleth fighter spirits it would be a total of 1390 all together minus the river city spirits but since the total would be 1390 & the river city series spirits starts at 1394, 3 of those three houses spirits must be enhanceable

and those three must be the house lords

meaning we’re getting their timeskip appearances once they enhance

D

Deleted member

So after completing it I’ve noticed the spirits were supposed to come after byleth is released. They are numbers 1394-1397 while the Lappy spirit before this was 1379. But here’s the catch after counting the three houses spirits plus the 2 byleth fighter spirits it would be a total of 1390 all together minus the river city spirits but since the total would be 1390 & the river city series spirits starts at 1394, 3 of those three houses spirits must be enhanceable

Oh well, spoilers were never Sakurai's thing anyway.

D

Deleted member

We knew those designes since Three Houses came out through official trailers so not sure how they are spoilers.
My bad...nvm.

Got me thinking...are we getting another magic datamine once we get Byleth's pack downloaded? I got this hunch.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Got me thinking...are we getting another magic datamine once we get Byleth's pack downloaded? I got this hunch.
My sources tell me thata file named fighter_param.baboom found in the update.

Jury is still out on who that might be.

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
My bad...nvm.

Tbh no. Last datamine which indicated something major was brave and that was over a year ago. They’ve learned how to cover their tracks and for good reason. One will not be happening anytime soon. WOL spots while although somewhat major still was a long time ago.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

6) Adol Christin (Ys)
7) Paper Mario
11) Master Chief (Halo)
6) Amaterasu
7) Lycanroc (Hey, never said it had to be realistic)
8) Doom Marine
9) Shiori Fujisaki
10) Bandana Waddle Dee
11) Crash Bandicoot

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

View attachment 259437
I know this is your own personal list and all, but....

>People actually think that Gen 8 is a lock after the Spirit event, despite Three Houses not getting one.

Lol.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master

I mean their timeskip designs are cool af, being in the game as spirits was the least they could do

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Joker wasn't that explosively popular. It was just unexpected.
I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree there, as people lost their minds for Joker.

Like, there was nothing but positivity for Joker. The only people who were mad were the people who are obsessed with Sakurai only catering to western IPs and go ballistic whenever they see the dreaded word "anime". However, it was a rare time where the positivity was so loud that the noise coming from the vocal minority got drowned out.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It's worth noting that even though Jack and Brave were datamined, the community who does those sorts of things didn't want to release that info at all until someone shared a screencap they shouldn't have.

It's very unlikely we'll have another datamine. They've started scrubbing the files like they did with Plant. Our last significant datamines were like...a year ago. In the immortal and oft-twisted words of Grant Kirkhope, don't hold your breath.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Even then we're probably getting an Nintendo Direct either next week or sometime in February which is when the next character probably might be revealed.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Even then we're probably getting an Nintendo Direct either next week or sometime in February which is when the next character probably might be revealed.
I doubt we'll be getting one next week; directs are typically in the first half of a month

February sounds realistic, and a reveal is possible (though I'm highly doubtful it'll be more than a Joker-style tease with no gameplay footage), but if there isn't any smash in the direct it's no tragedy as we so recently got news

MooMew64

Like, I know a lot of people here are hoping for this, but I just don't see it.

We have Sakurai's words of it going to be "some time" before the next reveal, and there's pretty much 0 indication for a Direct any time soon. Nintendo's been dropping news via press releases, Twitter, and other outlets right now, which isn't something they usually do if they're saving info for an imminent presentation. TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if we're waiting until March again this year, and even then I'd say FP6 is a 50/50.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

6) Adol Christin (Ys)
7) Paper Mario
11) Master Chief (Halo)
6. Anyone (Rhythm Heaven)
7. Steve (Minecraft) (is this cheating? Would usually put RH rep as my most wanted, but I have put Steve down as my top want on stuff like polls and questionnaires and stuff due to being the more realizable one. It kinda flip flops between the two)
8. Jill (Resident Evil) (for you, staindgrey staindgrey )
9. Farmer (Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons)
10. Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles)
11. Master Chief (Halo)

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

We have Sakurai's words of it going to be "some time" before the next reveal, and there's pretty much 0 indication for a Direct any time soon. Nintendo's been dropping news via press releases, Twitter, and other outlets right now, which isn't something they usually do if they're saving info for an imminent presentation. TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if we're waiting until March again this year, and even then I'd say FP6 is a 50/50.
I thought that too tbh but some had pointed out Sakurai mentioned the Byleth representation he posted was posted by in November. Keep that in mind.

Not saying I'm right but the possibility we could see something in February at least.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I thought that too tbh but some had pointed out Sakurai mentioned the Byleth representation he posted was posted by in November. Keep that in mind.

Not saying I'm right but the possibility we could see something in February at least.
The "some time" comment was on his Twitter the day of the Byleth presentation.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Ok, so a New Capcom rep is a pretty popular pick.

Whats your Top 5 most wanted Capcom characters for next pass?
(Rule time, to make things interesting, they can’t be from Megaman or Street Fighter)

5) Cody / Guy / Haggar / Maki (Final Fight)
4) Morrigan (Dark Stalkers)
3) Dante (DMC)
2) Viewtiful Joe
1) Nathan “Radd” Spencer (Bionic Commando)

Bonus! A new Mii fighter costume for each.

Brawler: Frank West
Gunner: Chris Redfield
Swordsman: Strider Hiryu
1. Phoenix Wright
2. Jill Valentine/Leon Kennedy
3. Morrigan
4. Monster Hunter
5. Amaterasu

Chun-Li would be there too if I could pick from Street Fighter.

Last edited:

MooMew64

Sakurai was acknowledging that it was filmed in November because he knew it would be aired later. Why would he say something that wouldn't be applicable to when people would actually watch the presentation? I can't really find a good argument against that myself, which is why I personally am tempering expectations for Smash news any time soon, especially given this cycle is lasting two years.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
The "some time" comment was on his Twitter the day of the Byleth presentation.
Yeah I have the feeling that Sakurai won't do pre-announcements and teasers anymore and will do reveals when the character is near release like Byleth. So March/April maybe.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Real talk, not expecting fighter 6 til E3 at the earliest

We've still got pretty much 2 years before the deadline

and this is only for 6 characters

Two years ago, we still didn't know that Ultimate was even a thing

They need to space these things out as consistently as possible

Last edited:

MooMew64

I'm thinking nothing until E3 as well, and then after that the reveals start picking up a bit. I'm thinking:

-After Byleth is a big news gap.

-June brings FP6 at E3, releases same day.

-September brings FP7

-January/February brings FP8

-Next year's E3 has FP9 and 10

-September announces final fighter with a release in November, Sakurai thanks everyone for three years of support and announces Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is now complete. The game will continue to receive balance patches and bug fixes for a short while, just like Splatoon 2.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

2 years ago, we still didn't know that Ultimate was even a thing

There is somewhat of a misconception spreading about that deadline, so I may as well clear it up right now.

This is what it said on the Japanese website.

“In accordance with the Specified Commercial Transactions Act, the distribution date will be specified as Dec 31 2021 on the product sales page of the Nintendo eShop, but the specific distribution date is undecided.”

This means that it very likely was just a placeholder until they decide on a deadline. Needless to say, its not guaranteed, but I do think a reveal in February could be more likely to happen taking this into account.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I remember seeing something about the deadline being a legally-required thing and Sakurai or whoever likely just choosing an extreme date, but idk. I forgot exactly what was said. (edit: nvm I was ninja’d)

Even if it truly will be December next year when the last fighter releases, they can still reveal one character before E3 and pace them out.

They did this last year and had a direct in February, didn’t they? Although I don’t remember how much news they gave out pre-Direct.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

It makes me feel like they only did the spirit event before Byleths release to give players something to do while they make because of the long wait.

MooMew64

They did this last year and had a direct in February, didn’t they? Although I don’t remember how much news they gave out pre-Direct.
They dropped some release dates, but nothing major. We've been getting big news this month along with minor news, which is what leads me to doubt there's a big General Direct coming anytime soon.

March is what makes the most sense for them to do, as it gives their releases a last second push (namely Animal Crossing) and then let's them set up the spring and summer lineup while we close out winter.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Sakurai was acknowledging that it was filmed in November because he knew it would be aired later. Why would he say something that wouldn't be applicable to when people would actually watch the presentation? I can't really find a good argument against that myself, which is why I personally am tempering expectations for Smash news any time soon, especially given this cycle is lasting two years.
Fair point. In that case guess until E3 it is.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

6) Adol Christin (Ys)
7) Paper Mario
11) Master Chief (Halo)
Here's mine:
6. Amaterasu (Okami, a female rep to start things off.)
7. Bandanna Dee (Kirby, my most wanted.)
8. Poochy (Yoshi, for my friend
Zinith.)
9. CD-i Ganon (Zelda, no one talks about him.)
10. Shake King (Wario, he's so underrated.)
11. Heavy (Team Fortress, A Valve rep would be cool.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom