• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
If this was asked a while back, apologies. What fighter do you think is going to be the first in the Second Pass that will get people to invest in it?

I honestly have no clue who it could be. The optimist in me wants to see a high fan (Smash) request/demand to be first (Geno, Waluigi or Lloyd Irving), but it will more than likely be someone that turns heads like Joker did (Crash, Earthworm Jim or Sora)

EDIT: Mobile Game Character would be quite a head turner (Katalina or Euden) Lets get crazy!

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Listen man, constantly replying to these fan-rosters with just numbers and zero clarification doesn't make for good conversation. It kinda just feels like meaningless spam.
This so much. Ratings are meaningless without context.

A giant analysis isn't necessary, but basic reasoning makes for a real conversation. At that point, ratings say nothing and aren't worth taking into account. There's a reason why reviews are only easy to take seriously if they explain the issue or why they like something. Scores say little on their own.

Even with giant scores, how people interpret the data is what makes the rating itself useful in a conversation.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Like it was said above, I feel like Spirits will be a big clue. I don't necessarily think that any character who already has a Spirit is off the table. But a game or series that has a good number of Spirits already probably won't. Each new fighter comes with their own special Spirit Board with many new Spirits. Theoretically someone like Geno could still fill up his board with a bunch of SMRPG characters. But someone like Spring Man sadly wouldn't since a ton of ARMS fighters are already Spirits. There wouldn't be much new to pull from.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78344301

Looks like we have a VERY important rumor brewing.

This could be our first lead toward FP6 guys!!!
Forget everything you think you know about Smash speculation, because one of the most ambitious threads of 2020 has just been released, and it's going to change everything. Introducing Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion. Posting in the Newcomer thread is the most immersive experience you'll ever find on Smashboards, and it can only really be compared with the biggest forum activities. The thread is totally free.

It has all the features you'd expect from a brand new thread: fighter pass predictions, custom fanmade movesets, antagonistic users, fandom wars, and hundreds of characters to discuss and speculate about.

I never expected to get this level of posting out of a children's party game. Look how crazy the level of details is on these posts about why these fighters will make it in!

The Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion Thread is getting big real fast, so get in early. Starting now will give you a huge head start. There's also an upcoming Fighter 6 reveal with crazy flame wars!

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Forget everything you think you know about Smash speculation, because one of the most ambitious threads of 2020 has just been released, and it's going to change everything. Introducing Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion. Posting in the Newcomer thread is the most immersive experience you'll ever find on Smashboards, and it can only really be compared with the biggest forum activities. The thread is totally free.

It has all the features you'd expect from a brand new thread: fighter pass predictions, custom fanmade movesets, antagonistic users, fandom wars, and hundreds of characters to discuss and speculate about.

I never expected to get this level of posting out of a children's party game. Look how crazy the level of details is on these posts about why these fighters will make it in!

The Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion Thread is getting big real fast, so get in early. Starting now will give you a huge head start. There's also an upcoming Fighter 6 reveal with crazy flame wars!
Thats great and all, but did you know that you should forget everything you think you know about mobile games, because one of the most ambitious RPG projects of 2019 has just been released, and it's going to change everything!!! Introducing Lego City: Shadow Legends. Playing Lego City is the most immersive experience you'll ever find on a smartphone, and it can only really be compared with the biggest PC and Console titles. The game is totally free!!!!!

It has all the features you'd expect from a brand new RPG title: amazing storyline, awesome 3D graphics, giant boss fights, PVP battles, and hundreds of vehicles to collect and customize!!!!

I never expected to get this level of performance out of a mobile game. Look how crazy the level of details is on these workers!!

Lego City is getting big real fast, so get in early. Starting now will give you a huge head start. There's also an upcoming Special Launch Tournament with crazy prizes!!!

(Delete this plz mods)

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion

Are you baboom?

Because you win. and baboom always win.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
A giant analysis isn't necessary, but basic reasoning makes for a real conversation. At that point, ratings say nothing and aren't worth taking into account. There's a reason why reviews are only easy to take seriously if they explain the issue or why they like something. Scores say little on their own.
I'm not a reviewer, and nobody is asking you to take my scores into account.

The people posting their passes were literally asking what people thought of them. I expressed my thoughts as a number. If someone wants to know more, they ask. Almost nobody does. So they didn't care, and explaining my reasoning would have wasted everyone's time.

I'm having fun with it, if someone finds it annoying(or they're just salty about the score I gave them), they're free to put me on ignore.

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
User was warned for this post
I'm not a reviewer, and nobody is asking you to take my scores into account.

The people posting their passes were literally asking what people thought of them. I expressed my thoughts as a number. If someone wants to know more, they ask. Almost nobody does. So they didn't care, and explaining my reasoning would have wasted everyone's time.

I'm having fun with it, if someone finds it annoying(or they're just salty about the score I gave them), they're free to put me on ignore.
0/10

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
In the end, Ridley was pretty much the only character that had constant vocal support until the very end.

K. Rool had to wait until Diddy got in to take off, Geno was popular during the Brawl era but more or less disappeared for Smash 4 until Sakurai basically bailed him out, and Banjo & Kazooie were just LOL until Phil Spencer gave his blessings on Twitter.
Banjo support is interesting to look back on because, you can easily pin point key moments in his build up to release. From him being one of the most wanted characters for Melee, wishful thinking in Brawl, something that people need to let go off pre DLC for Smash 4, then once Phil tweeted that around the time the Fighters pass started, the hype began to build again. Then once we got titles like Rocket League and Fortnite which had cross play with Switch and Xbox, Banjo support reached an all time high because it was at that point now or never.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I need to do a proper review of the DLC, so...

Without further ado!

Piranha Plant - A super fun surprise character(who is neither a troll nor a joke pick. Troll picks don't exist, and joke characters are a specifically weak character that's intended to be crap tier. Jigglypuff and Pichu were designed that way, but the former was better than intended, till Brawl hilariously enough, and the latter was buffed in Ultimate to no longer be a Joke character at all. Not even a Lethal Joke character)

Joker - First one that I didn't really much know of among the DLC. Still, a really neat addition and I loved the overall boost mechanic he has with Arsena. Costumes are neat too.

Hero - Though I'd have liked Slime more, it's still a great character design. I was pleasantly surprised to see Luminary as the core face(only partially surprised. I was sure it'd be someone more Western known for the face, but I had a feeling alts were a thing too, and there's no way Erdrick would miss that bus).

Banjo & Kazooie - I admit I didn't really care much or want them, but they are a great choice anyway. The only one with no major mechanics overall, but they did a great job with how faithful they are to the moveset. It's only the stage that I don't like much, but to be fair, none of the DLC stages so far did much for me anyway. I get dizzy during it.

Terry - Easily my favorite. I admit I didn't use him constantly in the SNK crossovers/Fatal Fury games, but he's the only one I have any real experience with among them besides PP respectively. Also, great music options. Neat Mii costumes too.

Byleth - A really interesting choice and finally we get the Weapon Triangle. But more importantly, the Whip Sword is really cool. Among the 3H characters, this one I liked the idea of from the speculation here. Keep in mind I don't play a lot of FE, and only actually own the GameCube games along with a demo for... Awakening I think? Regardless, neat choice. It also proves that 1st parties were not off the table.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
>Geno's mii costume is still missing.
>People think he'll get in, in order to celebrate the relationship between Square Enix and Nintendo.
>No credible rumours for Sora.

C'mon we all know that Neku is clearly the best pick. He has the power of the hardcore KH fanbase backing him up, is a far more recent example of Square and Nintendo working together, is more relevant, and has loads of moveset potential.
5977089-neku_sakuraba_by_koncho.png

Neku with upgraded Geno mii costume has my vote. I"m only half joking, but Neku please.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So...what your telling me is...
View attachment 259011
SHE IS COMING BACK INTO SPECULATION!? What a wild ride.
Oh, is that Katalina?
I like her for no particular reason.

... other than she was directly involved in the rumors of Erdrick. :D

Would it be boring if her sword attacks were all thrusts? She seems like the fencer type.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

>People think he'll get in, in order to celebrate the relationship between Square Enix and Nintendo.
>No credible rumours for Sora.

C'mon we all know that Neku is clearly the best pick. He has the power of the hardcore KH fanbase backing him up, is a far more recent example of Square and Nintendo working together, is more relevant, and has loads of moveset potential.View attachment 259012
Neku with upgraded Geno mii costume has my vote. I"m only half joking, but Neku please.
Just make a Square-Enix pass tbh they have enough good characters to make it work from Geno to Sora to 2B, etc. etc. for example:

FP2 #1: Geno (Super Mario RPG)
FP2 #2: Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
FP2 #3: 2B (Nier: Automata)
FP2 #4: Neku (The World ends with You)
FP2 #5: Chrono (Chrono Trigger)
FP2 #6: Agnes (Bravely Default)

Square has so many good characters and franchises to pull from to the point we're still missing some big names like Sephiroth, A Mana character and others. Capcom and Square both have excellent catalogs of characters to choose from they could just have their own passes and I'd be down for it.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
At this point, the only Mii characters we're still missing from Smash 4 are:
Geno
Chocobo
-
Monster Hunter
Rathalos
-
Heihachi
Loyd
Gil

Seems like if any one character in those groupings got in as a PC, the others in it's group would return in the same pass.

Alternatively, they could just be dropped in suddenly for no reason. Like Altair and Rabbids.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I don't know why we are still speculating. Google already tells us what Fighter Pass 2 + Bonus characters are going to be.

chrome_2020-01-21_00-53-43.png

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Hmm... So Geno having his Mii costume missing bodes well for him. But Chocobo's costume missing might lower Geno's chances, since it can just be Square being... square. Although maybe Chocobo could return, and bring a few more costumes too (White Mage, Black Mage, Ninja, and Warrior) if Geno becomes a full character.

Geno at least has Sakurai's blessing. Not sure on Nintendo's or Square's. I'm sure Sakurai will do as much as he can to get him in.

I don't know why we are still speculating. Google already tells us what Fighter Pass 2 + Bonus characters are going to be.

View attachment 259017
That's some top tier material character picks.
Can't wait to play as Doomguy, Ryu Hayabusa, and a team of 4 Zeldas. <3

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
If this was asked a while back, apologies. What fighter do you think is going to be the first in the Second Pass that will get people to invest in it?

I honestly have no clue who it could be. The optimist in me wants to see a high fan (Smash) request/demand to be first (Geno, Waluigi or Lloyd Irving), but it will more than likely be someone that turns heads like Joker did (Crash, Earthworm Jim or Sora)
As with Fighter Pass 1, I think they're going to put the most marketable (i.e., not necessarily the most fan requested) characters first. With Sora, I think they get both, having had a very recent popular game, as well as always being on the top of fan polls. I think Crash would be a runner-up. If they were to completely mirror Vol 1, which they surely won't, one possibility would be: Sora (Surprise character), Lloyd (big JRPG franchise), Crash (Western mascot character), Hayabusa/Heihachi (retro/fighting game characters), Gen 8 Pokemon (Nintendo). I definitely don't think that will be the case, they will try different stuff, but Vol 1 at least provides a framework to jump off from, particularly including the most marketable characters first, starting broad, having fan requested characters, and narrowing in on retro and promotional picks.

I admit I didn't really care much or want them, but they are a great choice anyway. The only one with no major mechanics overall, but they did a great job with how faithful they are to the moveset. It's only the stage that I don't like much, but to be fair, none of the DLC stages so far did much for me anyway. I get dizzy during it.
I like how they put them in a way I would have envisioned them for Smash 64--not too many special gimmicks. Just Breegull Blaster and Wonderwing probably wouldn't have worked back then, and they feel like great inclusions from at least a fans perspective. I think they still did a good job with their stage, making the stage not spin with hazards off--though, I would have much preferred had they had Grunty's Lair in the background for hazards off, as it's more iconic and visually striking. It would have also gotten rid of that ledge competitive players don't like, though it'd still be banned as there's always a reason. :p

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Anyhow here's my prediction based on the first pass
1: An iconic modern character
2: A character from a franchise with a ludicrous amount of legacy
3: A dead character long forgotten by the mainstream
4: A classic character who's still around, albeit less big than before
5: A promotional first party
6: ****ing uhhhh Enlightened One Byleth

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I like how they put them in a way I would have envisioned them for Smash 64--not too many special gimmicks. Just Breegull Blaster and Wonderwing probably wouldn't have worked back then, and they feel like great inclusions from at least a fans perspective. I think they still did a good job with their stage, making the stage not spin with hazards off--though, I would have much preferred had they had Grunty's Lair in the background for hazards off, as it's more iconic and visually striking. It would have also gotten rid of that ledge competitive players don't like, though it'd still be banned as there's always a reason. :p
Or Melee. Neither game focuses heavily on mechanic-based characters. There's slight bits in Smash 64, with Yoshi's Jump, Ness' PSI stuff referencing his teammates instead of himself(and PK Thunder is a pretty gimmicky move), Luigi's Taunt, DK able to carry Barrels/Boxes and move during it, Jigglypuff flying off the screen if it loses its shield, and I think that might be it for anything like that? They also were very non-traditional abilities.

Melee was fairly simple too. You could argue Counter as is, but it's just what Reflectors are at that point, but for non-projectiles. However, you had two characters with Ice Climbers, transformaitons with Zelda, and hurting yourself with Pichu.

Of course, some of these are more like moveset gimmicks while others are passive abilities. They're awesome nonetheless.

On another note, didn't B&K come out after Smash 64?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Here’s a question.

Which character could possibly bring the least amount of salt and disappointment, for FP2#6?
Probably Master Chief.

Outside of the typical "Damn, it's not my character," I think most people are aware of him to the extent that they can understand why he was chosen and not be too "Seriously? Him of all characters?" considering the magnitude of his notoriety.

It won't be "hype" for a lot of people in the same way the more "out there" and "niche" picks are, but it'll be the safest pick to reduce anger/resentment I feel.

Of course, I don't give a damn about him and personally I'd prefer Doom Slayer if we were to have a dude in a suit of armor shoot guns and punch people

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Anyhow here's my prediction based on the first pass
1: An iconic modern character
2: A character from a franchise with a ludicrous amount of legacy
3: A dead character long forgotten by the mainstream
4: A classic character who's still around, albeit less big than before
5: A promotional first party
6: ****ing uhhhh Enlightened One Byleth
This looks like a fun template.
  1. 2B (Drakengard / NieR) or Kiryu (Yakuza)
  2. Doomguy (Doom)
  3. Isaac (Golden Sun) or Geno (Super Mario RPG)
  4. This one was too tough for me. Master Chief (Halo) maybe? They debuted over 15 years ago but I don't see people talk about Halo that much anymore even as new games keep getting released. Last time I heard any mainstream Halo discussion was Halo Reach. Basically I'm thinking in Terry terms, where they USED to be huge, and still are for that generation, but whose series has become more subdued in popularity over time.
  5. Cinderace (Pokémon Sword and Shield)
  6. ****ing uhhhh Enlightened One Byleth

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Here’s a question.

Which character could possibly bring the least amount of salt and disappointment, for FP2#6?
Hmm...probably Sora.

Even for people who don't like him or KH, it has to be hard to argue against his level of iconicness and popularity.

Literally none.
He didn't say no salt or disappointment, he said least. That's gotta be someone.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I love speculation season. It’s always so fun so see and hear everyone’s predictions.

It’s hard to just choose 6, so here are the top 10 I think have the best chances of making it in and I’ll put *’s next to the ones I think will/have been chosen.

1. Rex & Pyra*
2. Gen VIII. Pokémon*
3. Monster Hunter*
4. Heihachi*
5. KOS-MOS
6. Paper Mario*
7. Euden
8. Sora*
9. Travis Touchdown
10. Tales Of Rep

I really want Sora. I’ve wanted him since Brawl. I think he’d be a perfect fit for Smash.

Give me your speculation and predictions and let’s discuss!

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Or Melee. Neither game focuses heavily on mechanic-based characters. There's slight bits in Smash 64, with Yoshi's Jump, Ness' PSI stuff referencing his teammates instead of himself(and PK Thunder is a pretty gimmicky move), Luigi's Taunt, DK able to carry Barrels/Boxes and move during it, Jigglypuff flying off the screen if it loses its shield, and I think that might be it for anything like that? They also were very non-traditional abilities.

Melee was fairly simple too. You could argue Counter as is, but it's just what Reflectors are at that point, but for non-projectiles. However, you had two characters with Ice Climbers, transformaitons with Zelda, and hurting yourself with Pichu.

Of course, some of these are more like moveset gimmicks while others are passive abilities. They're awesome nonetheless.

On another note, didn't B&K come out after Smash 64?
Banjo-Kazooie came out the year before Smash 64, so while it was still in development. That's why me, and I guess a lot of kids that generation, were wondering why they didn't have one of the big, newest "Nintendo" characters in there. It's why in my head, Banjo & Kazooie and Smash were always intertwined.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Here’s a question.

Anju's Grandmother

But seriously, anything that people expect. Those names that people continue to repeat, doomguy, dante, ecc... people are already prepared for them to join the roster because of the constant noise of the fans, so it wouldn't be a surprise if one of them would get in.
On the other hand, a certain amount of salt will always exist for the simple reason that the majority will not get their favorite character in and only some lucky fans will get what they want.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Banjo-Kazooie came out the year before Smash 64, so while it was still in development. That's why me, and I guess a lot of kids that generation, were wondering why they didn't have one of the big, newest "Nintendo" characters in there. It's why in my head, Banjo & Kazooie and Smash were always intertwined.
Strange. Definitely fit the timing overall, though maybe he didn't have enough time to play through the game to really get any options? Every character was not from a 64 game first. I don't know the development schedule enough to say much, though.

That said, I need to continue working on an N64 Fighter roster as is. Of course, the duo are on there, among tons of others.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Good answers all around.
Personally, I think Rex/Pyra probably.

It’s unique enough to barely be given a pass for using swords (since the swords are characters)

Popular game on switch.

Underrepresented franchise.

1st party.

Character thought to be impossible due to Sakurai’s statement.

I know next to nothing about XC2, but I think it ticks a lot of boxes. Probably would get some Back(s)lash from people who want a western character, but that’s it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom