• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Strange. Definitely fit the timing overall, though maybe he didn't have enough time to play through the game to really get any options? Every character was not from a 64 game first. I don't know the development schedule enough to say much, though.
I mean...there's the REALLY simple explanation that...he wasn't a Nintendo character. And we didn't get 3rd(or even 2nd) party reps back then.

Good answers all around.
Personally, I think Rex/Pyra probably.

It’s unique enough to barely be given a pass for using swords (since the swords are characters)

Popular game on switch.

Underrepresented franchise.

1st party.

Character thought to be impossible due to Sakurai’s statement.

I know next to nothing about XC2, but I think it ticks a lot of boxes. Probably would get some Back(s)lash from people who want a western character, but that’s it.
I'm gonna disagree. I think some of those boxes would generate salt at this point, not alleviate it. You're talking about another JRPG protag, from a mediocre entry in an already represented series, that some will see as a shill pick.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Banjo-Kazooie came out the year before Smash 64, so while it was still in development. That's why me, and I guess a lot of kids that generation, were wondering why they didn't have one of the big, newest "Nintendo" characters in there. It's why in my head, Banjo & Kazooie and Smash were always intertwined.
Because then they'd be shill picks. ;)

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Good answers all around.
Personally, I think Rex/Pyra probably.

It’s unique enough to barely be given a pass for using swords (since the swords are characters)

Popular game on switch.

Underrepresented franchise.

1st party.

Character thought to be impossible due to Sakurai’s statement.

I know next to nothing about XC2, but I think it ticks a lot of boxes. Probably would get some Back(s)lash from people who want a western character, but that’s it.
Oh Lord no, do you know the amount of people out there who hate:

1. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
2. Anime
3. Rex
4. Pyra's design
5. Swords in general

I'm fine with his inclusion, and might even argue he deserves it, but not for a single second do I think a sizeable chunk of people will not get really pissed at his inclusion.

Last edited:

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Here’s a question.

Which character could possibly bring the least amount of salt and disappointment, for FP2#6?
I'd say Sora too.
He's one of the most popular picks and he seems to have a cool moveset involving slashes and quick magics.
Sure, some people would hate him, but negative reactions might be overwhelmed by the positive ones.

Renmazuo

Smash Cadet
I'm gonna disagree. I think some of those boxes would generate salt at this point, not alleviate it. You're talking about another JRPG protag, from a mediocre entry in an already represented series, that some will see as a shill pick.
What would he be shilling?

2. Anime
3. Rex
4. Pyra's design
5. Swords in general

I'm fine with his inclusion, and might even argue he deserves it, but not for a single second do I think a sizeable chunk of people will not get really pissed at his inclusion.
I don't think he'll make at this point but I'm willing to bet anything his reveal video won't get 80K dislikes.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I mean...there's the REALLY simple explanation that...he wasn't a Nintendo character. And we didn't get 3rd(or even 2nd) party reps back then.

I mean, Pokemon. :rotfl: But I'd rather not debate the definition of 2nd party. For me, looking back now as an adult, if they had enough time (which given how long game development is, I don't think they did), the other reason for not including them would be the reason Sakurai gave for not including their trophies in Melee, which he considered--it was hard to communicate with Rare, in Europe, at the time. Still in 2019, he says he was curious how things would work out working with Kirkhope overseas on one music track, but was happy with the results. To me, it's nothing against Western characters, and more to do with the geographic logistics.

Because then they'd be shill picks. ;)
Touché. As a kid, that would have been the furthest from my mind. Puts things in perspective.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......

2. Anime
3. Rex
4. Pyra's design
5. Swords in general

I'm fine with his inclusion, and might even argue he deserves it, but not for a single second do I think people will get really pissed at his inclusion.
Honestly the hate if he got in would be huge. It would piss me off so much to see that much hate for a series that has been overdue for a second rep.
I'm one of the people who would try and counter all five of those points.

1. My main incentive to buy a Switch was this game. The game itself has some of the best fight animation I've seen and one of the most interesting worlds created. I'll make the rest of the essay another time.

2. Anime reps are anime reps. If a character I like or looks fun to play I'm all for.

3. I'll admit that Rex wasn't a great protagonist and in my opinion the likes of Nia, Zeke and Lora were far, far more interesting characters than Rex.

4. I personally would change Pyra's design. It's not the breasts but her design feels off. And her English VA like Rex's were just meh for a performance.

5. A puppeteer meets Pokemon style swordsmans would be amazing and fun moveset.

I think Xenoblade definitely has a chance for FP2 but I'm leaning towards Fiora now logic be damned.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That's not how licensing works. Nintendo actually owned Rareware and their IP's. Sakurai already barely got the game out in time, so it's far more realistic than he couldn't really put together a unique fighter without more time. They fit the timing window, but he lacked actual time to capitalize on that. Even the last 4 characters had to be based upon previous ones to make work. It's funny that 14/15 NPC's were outright clones with very slight changes too. The assets being reused was clear as day, but more importantly, it shows how little time he had to get the game out(and it was known the game had less time in the oven than others. Its only competition for that was Melee, which couldn't be delayed either due to being needed to sell the GameCube).

Pokemon is the only one who comes close to that among Smash(though to be fair, I could be misremembering other "2nd" party characters. I don't remember which series is owned by a 3rd party developer that Nintendo has zero IP ownage of. I know Bayonetta doesn't really count as 2nd party, as they don't directly own the IP so much as specific Nintendo uses of it. You could still argue it as 2nd party with that explanation, though, and that's fair to look at it that way), and Gamefreak are actually 3rd party developers not owned by Nintendo. Nintendo only partially owns the Pokemon IP. Even then, Second Party does not exist. It's never been a real thing. It's even less of a notable term than 4th party, which has a non-confusing meaning to people. It's just a different word for "non-game 3rd parties", and 4th party could be different depending the media context. For instance, a crossover only including live action characters could treat a video game character as a 4th party selection. Etc.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I don't think he'll make at this point but I'm willing to bet anything his reveal video won't get 80K dislikes.
Well, that should be obvious. That's a pretty high bar to surpass. The request wasn't to find the characters that wouldn't surpass Byleth's dislike rate, because that'd be most characters. I'm just saying Rex isn't going to be even near the least controversial character.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
But Darth, it's only a shill pick if I don't like it! Otherwise, the character got in based on their own merits and nothing else!

SKX31

Smash Master
Strange. Definitely fit the timing overall, though maybe he didn't have enough time to play through the game to really get any options? Every character was not from a 64 game first. I don't know the development schedule enough to say much, though.

That said, I need to continue working on an N64 Fighter roster as is. Of course, the duo are on there, among tons of others.
I find it likely that Smash 64's dev period was kinda crunched. And B-K weren't high on the priority list: Bowser and Dedede were scrapped, with Mewtwo and Marth as the other considered characters.

As for Melee... nope. Not just the massive development crunch there (only 7 unique newcomers that time, 3 of which being scrapped 64 characters) but Rare was actively looking for a buyout at the time. The Perfect Dark team had left Rare around or even before Melee's development, and they knew it was only a matter of time.

Renmazuo

Smash Cadet
I'm just poking fun at how shill pick is only ever used when the character is disliked, though I do fear XBD will add bonus content to go "Hey guys it's Shoutychild Divingsuit from XB2!", So he'd shill that
He'd shill a game in which he doesn't even appear other than potentially a cameo fanservice appearance that nobody knows will happen for sure?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly, in 64 days I was just wondering how I was supposed to unlock Charizard. No way they'd put in jigglypuff and not Charizard!

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I find it likely that Smash 64's dev period was kinda crunched. And B-K weren't high on the priority list: Bowser and Dedede were scrapped, with Mewtwo and Marth as the other considered characters.

As for Melee... nope. Not just the massive development crunch there (only 7 unique newcomers that time, 3 of which being scrapped 64 characters) but Rare was actively looking for a buyout at the time. The Perfect Dark team had left Rare around or even before Melee's development, and they knew it was only a matter of time.
I think I covered the first paragraph in my previous post, though not as well as you did. Time constraints were pretty much it. I didn't think of that in my first reply, heh.

And yeah, Melee there was no real chance. The buyout factor killed any chance of that, since at that point, Rare was no longer under Nintendo. Owning them back then was nice, but now they were a company being bought out/being negotiated for. This is also why some properties related to DK were unusable in general.

Dutch Raikuna

Man can we all switch topic to talking about how we all got first into Smash Bros? Would enjoy some good stories.

It's been about 15 years since I discovered Smash Bros at 8 years old. I'm old now.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Man can we all switch topic to talking about how we all got first into Smash Bros? Would enjoy some good stories.

It's been about 15 years since I discovered Smash Bros at 8 years old. I'm old now.
I simply saw the first game at a friend's 64. Before I had a 64. I bought it in due time, and loved it since. Melee I got with my first Gamecube. Brawl was the first game I preordered, and even played in the tourney. Twas great. 4 I preordered both versions too, and was in that tourney as well(for the Wii U version). Ultimate I preordered and enjoyed a lot since. Pichu being back is sweeeeet.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

I read a magazine, saw like 5 pages om Brawl and got interested cause I saw that blue chuckle**** Sonic. I also saw a line saying Samus' rival Ridley was a boss, thinking Ridley was probably a blue person who looks like Iron Man as Shadow was my only source for a rival in video games back then

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I mean. It's true tho, remember people dismissing Hero entirely solely for a shill pick because a port got stuck in development hell?
I mean, some people argued that Erdrick, protagonist of a 30+ year old game, would be a shill pick, so that's accurate.
I think at most. Making Luminary the default skin was the only promotional part of the character.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I think at most. Making Luminary the default skin was the only promotional part of the character.
Impossible! Everything from that character was solely to promote the port! This is an insult to Smash's legacy. There shall be riots! No longer shall us Smash fans allow this disgrace to walk the Earth and sully our pure Nintendo game! We shall go to war with Sakurai himse-Oh my goood Banjo's in thank you Sakurai I'll never ask for anything again! Now where are the first parties you miserable ****?

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

I was really young when Melee came out, so I have no memory of first playing smash, it’s just kind of always been there in my life.

According to my brothers I called the game “Dr. Mario”, I for some reason thought he was the coolest when I was 4 years old.

Dutch Raikuna

To throw how I discovered it quickly.

In 2005 when I was 8 years old I started getting Nintendo Magazines. I remember seeing about Smash Bros. My mind was blown at the concept.
Ended up first really playing at an Irish speaking kid's house on the west coast of Ireland. I was amazed. Got Melee for Christmas and spent too many hours on it.

Brawl E3 2006 trailer is probably my favorite video game trailer of all time. And again blown. However when the game came out I was in hospital for a kidney infection so had to wait a while.
Smash 4 got announced the week before I left secondary school. Luckily I had Project X Zone as my crossover game to tie me over (I'll tell that story on the NXC Reps thread soon).
Smash Ultimate I shouted my house in excitement.

I'm probably not the only one but I like to look back on seeing the Smash games over the years as a marker for my overall growth into video games.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

My dad brought home Melee and I saw that elfin dude from Zelda and orange Halo, and little ***** ass kid me thought "yeah, I guess this is a good game".

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I got into Smash because of this classic

Imagine being 8/9 years old and seeing that. It's enough to get any kid excited.

SKX31

Smash Master

Before I start, thought from your description that you're from Iceland. Turns out I'm wrong probably.

While I knew of the N64 I didn't know of Smash fully until the GCN launched and Melee was one of the launch titles. Me and my older brother got it on the spot. A lot of kids my generation got Melee - one of my earliest Smash memories was Mewtwo's unlock method since it was a major source of talk. Oh, and 11 year old me and my circle being on par with lvl 4 CPUs when we started.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr

I was one of the few kids of my generation who didn't like pokèmon (anime and games), and Smash (64) was that game where you could punch Pikachu in the face.
Yes, that was the reason why I started to be interested in Smash.

I really got interested more seriously in it around when Melee came out though, and for more than 10 years I played weekly with my friends.
Now we don't play it anymore (except for some rare cases), but not because of me. I would still play it, it's my friends who got bored (and a couple of them now live far from where I live so we meet rarely).

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Here’s a question.

Which character could possibly bring the least amount of salt and disappointment, for FP2#6?
Kratos?

I think a Sony owned character getting in would blindside everyone so badly that there isn't even enough time to bring out the salt.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Nintendo actually owned Rareware and their IP's.
That's...not true. Nintendo owned a minority stake in Rare, which is why when Microsoft bought a controlling majority, Rare, and it's IPs, went to Microsoft.

Again, what would Rex be shilling? A 3 year old game that no longer gets DLC?
It's still for sale isn't it?

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That and the little bit in the trailer where it goes Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition. It was pretty funny just because the crazy title made it not so subtle lol.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095

Smash 64 was one of the games on the N64 for as long as I can remember and I always enjoyed playing it at my nan's house after school when I was younger. Melee was also around the same time so I was enjoying both games but it's safe to say Melee had a bigger impact on me; Marth and Roy of course introduced me to Fire Emblem, but there was also discovering at a friend of my dad's place that Mewtwo and Mr. Game & Watch were playable - characters I had no idea were in the game at all. I remember asking how to unlock both of them and safe to say was so happy to finally unlock both of them.

I discovered Brawl when I saw the first E3 trailer being played at a Toys R Us that I often frequented and was so excited to see the new characters, especially Pit and Wario. Surprisingly I missed seeing Snake - and it probably wasn't until 2007 that I started heavily following the Brawl Dojo. Ah those were the days. To go back to the days of early primary school with no real characters I was particularly gunning for and just enjoying the ride and seeing each new Dojo post. Safe to say with Sonic's reveal I was BEYOND ECSTATIC since I didn't expect Sonic to join Brawl.

To think that it's now been 21 years and this game has always been part of my love of video games. It introduced me to new franchises across Nintendo and other companies too - from Fire Emblem to Metal Gear, Golden Sun to Bayonetta. Many characters I've grown to want over the years of speculating like Ridley and King K. Rool made it in; the crazy dream wants of Joker, Cloud Strife and Banjo-Kazooie... And these crazy battles aren't going to be stopping any time soon. There's plenty of characters I'd still love to see be able to join Smash Bros; Phoenix Wright and Dante, Kazuma Kiryu and Reimu, but we now have well over 80+ characters. It's been quite the ride. Here's to many more battles in the future!

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Smash 64 & Melee did have 2nd Party reps through the following series: Kirby (HAL), Pokémon (Game Freak), EarthBound (Itoi/HAL/Creatures), & Fire Emblem (Intelligent Systems).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom