• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That as well.

I talked about it with a friend of mine and the only ones we came up with first-party-wise that Nintendo has been marketing or potentially plan on marketing are as follows:
Gooigi (Echo Fighter material tbh)
Sylux (Potentially for Prime 4 if it comes out before 2021)
Fiora (Already mentioned but for Definitive Edition and general Xeno series marketing)
Octoling (Echo Fighter material as well)
Euden (Dragalia Lost has done well and it also doesn't suffer from being too new of an IP like Astral Chain did)

So yeah not really a huge list, we also don't see a Zelda character but who really knows what'll happen?
Clearly I need to play Luigi's Mansion 3 because this thing seems to have become more than a meme pick and I cannot understand the appeal. We could also see a The Legend of Zelda character if The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild's sequel has a new significant character that actually does stuff. It can't be Zelda though. You'd have to have some major sweet talking to sell a character that's already in the game twice.

EDIT: Also, Euden would probably garner a similar nuclear reaction as Byleth did for being an "anime swordsman" and a "worthless mobile rep". Also people would probably assume Fire Emblem but since they'd be factually wrong I doubt it'd stick.

I don't know, he's pretty muscular.
It was my first thought (which probably says a lot about me), but after seeing how wrong I was I said it anyway as a joke.

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
This is how I expect Wave 2 to have:

- At least one of the big requested characters(Sora, Geno, Master Chief, Doom Guy)
- One or two niche/lesser known/written off characters in the roster(Reimu, KOS-MOS, Monokuma, those kinds of characters)
- A known gaming icon that felt like they should have been in the game to begin with due to their name(Hayabusa, Crash, etc etc)
- A character whose popularity is more regional ala Hero and Terry levels.
- Maybe at least one First party rep.

Any other ideas on what could be possible or expected for Wave 2 DLC? Or did I get all the ones down?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
-I can feel an echo getting thrown into the 6 mix.

-If Altair and Rabbids write off Ubi, wouldn't the new Megamen hit Capcom's likeliness?
An echo I don't think so. I believe that was just a clone rebranding by Sakurai to add more characters in the base game. As for the Ubisoft and Capcom tidbit, I agree it's not a strong point and it's possible we might get someone like Rayman. I think the difference is that the most prominent Ubisoft IPs (Rayman, Rabbids, Assassin's Creed) are represented in Smash while Capcom still has many viable IPs that could get in even without the Mega Man mii costumes and also bring their own content. Maybe I was too hasty in writing off Ubisoft, but with the Altair and Rabbids Mii costumes the only viable option they have left is a Rayman promotion.

Last edited:

Slick Guy

Smash Cadet
This is how I expect Wave 2 to have:

- At least one of the big requested characters(Sora, Geno, Master Chief, Doom Guy)
- One or two niche/lesser known/written off characters in the roster(Reimu, KOS-MOS, Monokuma, those kinds of characters)
- A known gaming icon that felt like they should have been in the game to begin with due to their name(Hayabusa, Crash, etc etc)
- A character whose popularity is more regional ala Hero and Terry levels.
- Maybe at least one First party rep.

Any other ideas on what could be possible or expected for Wave 2 DLC? Or did I get all the ones down?
-I have this feeling that at least one character will actually be a villain.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
The reveal they had slated today was for the 'Free Style Mode'. The twitter even said that the reveal each of the dates posted was for the Devil may Cry game; the game itself; not for other games. Everyone who took that as a clue for Smash news tricked themselves. I saw that repeated here multiple times leading up to the announcement and mentioned myself several times that they were omitting the part where the tweet was referring to its own series and not another.
Yes, that was super obvious. Ignoring the date coincidence on the announcements, I still feel like they've been dangling Dante on a string in front of our faces more than anyone else. Like, not stupid "hints" from game trailers with a shape vaguely resembling the smash logo, but actual statements from real life people being wishy-washy about talking about Dante in Smash and releasing DMC games on Switch. It just seemed like the tweet/date coincidence was just too good to be true to not be another inch added to the already very long dangling string. I know I'm reading too deeply into it, but I still feel like Dante is a shoe-in for FP6-11.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
-If Altair and Rabbids write off Ubi, wouldn't the new Megamen hit Capcom's likeliness?
Not really. The Megaman costumes would imply that there won't be a new Megaman rep. Multiple series from the same company having mii costumes would imply that the company themselves won't have a new rep.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
To tie into Wunderwaft Wunderwaft and BernkastelWitch BernkastelWitch 's posts: someone talked about the possibility of next season having a few Echoes or maybe extra modes, due to the average amount of time between characters being twice as long as season one. What are the chances for Echoes in everyone's opinion? This goes for both Echoes of Season 2 DLC characters and Echoes of characters already in the game.

I know I'd love Amitie as an Echo of Arle if she got in or maybe that Octoling promotion...

Last edited:

Slick Guy

Smash Cadet
An echo I don't think so. I believe that was just a clone rebranding by Sakurai to add more characters in the base game. As for the Ubisoft and Capcom tidbit, I agree it's not a strong point and it's possible we might get someone like Rayman. I think the difference is that the most prominent Ubisoft IPs (Rayman, Rabbids, Assassin's Creed) are represented in Smash while Capcom still has many viable IPs that could get in even withought the Mega Man mii costumes and bring their own content. Maybe I was too hasty in writing off Ubisoft, but with the Altair and Rabbids Mii costumes the only viable option they have left is a Rayman promotion.

-Ubisoft also has some other notible names like Jade (Beyond G&E) and Prince of Persia

D

Deleted member

I’ve made my first predictions for how the 2nd pass will go out.
ED5C16C9-FD94-4A5F-BCED-288EEC716B50.jpeg

Since smash doesn’t end on high notes I decided to put reimu at the end

what do you guys think?

Slick Guy

Smash Cadet
To tie into Wunderwaft Wunderwaft and BernkastelWitch BernkastelWitch 's posts: someone talked about the possibility of next season having a few Echoes or maybe extra modes, due to the average amount of time between characters being twice as long as season one. What are the chances for Echoes in everyone's opinion? This goes for both Echoes of Season 2 DLC characters and Echoes of characters already in the game.

I know I'd love Amitie as an Echo of Arle if she got in or maybe that Octoling promotion...

-Being realistic, FP2 is gonna have a lot of big names, but it can't be all big names. I'm calling 1 Echo.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
What I do wonder is if we can cross Assassin's Creed off entirely from the speculation scene to the Altair costume. I always noticed Ezio is a lot more recognizable than Altair and yet all we got is a costume for Altair and most people who did discuss an AC character in Smash always picked Ezio over Altair or others.

It may be me overthinking but given the rotating protagonists in Assassin's Creed, it's a bit harder to rule it out.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I loved FE3H, and I'm happy with Byleth; but there is still a part of me that is slightly salty at the fact that Fire Emblem came out so late and still got a DLC character while both ARMS and Xenoblade got shafted.

I can understand ARMS, because while it sold a ton; its popularity was shortlived.

But Xenoblade? Sakurai even made it a point to say Rex was too new during his Mii reveal. And yet Byleth gets in despite being 1 1/2 years newer then him. I feel bad for XC fans who pretty much got lied to and got shafted THRICE. First it was Corrin being chosen over Elma, then Rex not getting into the base game, and then Byleth chosen over Rex as DLC.

I guess promos could still happen in the second fighters pass; but I really doubt it. The only shot of Xenoblade getting another character is if they include something like Lora and Jin, or Xenoblade DE ends up getting Fiora in Smash, both of which are still very unlikely.

Anyways my predictions are:
6. Dante (Feb direct)
7. Lloyd/Yuri (E3 reveal)
8. Ryu Haybusa (September)
9. Falcom rep (2020)
10. Sora/Master Chief/Steve (2020)
11. First party rep

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I’ve made my first predictions for how the 2nd pass will go out.View attachment 258339

what do you guys think?
I’d think it would be a pretty good pass, at least for me.

Namco seems like an omission to me though, especially with the costumes returning under crash for some reason.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I feel that lately people uses "generic" for anything they don't like lol
Absolutely. Like when you're calling someone like Chrom a generic character, who not only has a pretty damn established and full personality but also displays said personality in Smash better than many other characters, something's up.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I’ve made my first predictions for how the 2nd pass will go out.View attachment 258339

what do you guys think?
I HIGHLY doubt that we'd only get third-parties considering we didn't the last pass.

Also... Reimu?

Last edited:

Slick Guy

Smash Cadet

what do you guys think?

-Chief would be a big name to pull people back from Byleth.
-I can't see 2B and Dante together. I can see we got 1 as a fighter, and the other as an Outfit.
-I think we are getting either Waluigi or Genos to finally put one of those fandoms to bed.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
-Being realistic, FP2 is gonna have a lot of big names, but it can't be all big names. I'm calling 1 Echo.
I thought they had said Echoes would not be a thing with Ultimate DLC, only unique characters? Unless you mean an echo released along with a new full-fledged DLC character.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400

what do you guys think?
Out of all renders of Dante you went with the one from Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite? :laugh:

Master Chief is a good one. I wouldn't mind 2B or Dante.

I really don't care about Crash but besides that, looks pretty solid to me.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
MY predictions are

1) I have no clue who this character is
2) I've heard of them, but having them here isn't a big deal
3) This is a pretty cool character, Wouldn't have expected them, but I got nothing against them
4) Character from a game that's not even out yet (or just came out)
5) I actually wanted this character!
6) I actively dislike this character

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
I’ve made my first predictions for how the 2nd pass will go out.

what do you guys think?
While I disagree with your characterization of Reimu as low hype, I think this line up is pretty reasonable. Maybe replace Sol or Crash with Hyabusa, and I'm a little unsure of Master Chief but other than that it seems about right.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
With Sans and Cuphead being the only 2 Indie Mii Costumes to come with a music track, what other Indie game characters would you love to see get the same treatment next?

It's probably obvious that Hollow Knight will eventually get the same Mii Costume treatment at some point, but I would be the happiest boy if we get Jacket from Hotline Miami as a Mii Costume with Hydrogen as the additional soundtrack.

Gunvolt and Copen. Gunvolt with Eternal Blue, and Copen with Igniter (Luminous Avenger iX ver.)

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

I hope Echo fighters never happen in DLC but if they have to exist, I hope they are semi clones like Ken and not glorified skins.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I feel like a Gen 8 Pokemon is a good 50/50 chance of happening. SwSh spirit board is a little discouraging to me, but I'm still hopeful.

Dante feels like an inevitably to me. Not my thing, but I'll be happy for the fans.

I don't think we'll see anymore FE, but hey, I'd take it. I don't give a dang about "rep ratios", just gimme fun characters.

Last edited:

Slick Guy

Smash Cadet
I thought they had said Echoes would not be a thing with Ultimate DLC, only unique characters? Unless you mean an echo released along with a new full-fledged DLC character.

-If they said that then I missed it, but with 6 slots like that, the only things I am predicting is 1 villain and 1 Echo. I joked with my friends and said that since we didn't get a big on stage reveal for Fighter 5, it was gonna ruffle feathers and they weren't confident with it. FP2 will have at least 1 character that repeats this.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I REALLY don't see Reimu happening honestly.

A character from an indie game who's only lived off of officially sanctioned fangames for over a decade doesn't seem like a super marketable choice honestly.

Last edited:

Slick Guy

Smash Cadet
MY predictions are

1) I have no clue who this character is
2) I've heard of them, but having them here isn't a big deal
3) This is a pretty cool character, Wouldn't have expected them, but I got nothing against them
4) Character from a game that's not even out yet (or just came out)
5) I actually wanted this character!
6) I actively dislike this character

-Out here with the 1000 IQ predicting characters based on reactions. I like this one

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

what do you guys think?
Master Chief is okay but I'd prefer Doom Guy
2B is meh
Sol Badguy looks cool but have no idea what he does.
Crash Bandicoot is good pick
Dante is okay but there is no one else comparable to prefer over him
Reimu is lame-u

Slick Guy

Smash Cadet

A character from an indie game who's only lived off of officially sanctioned fangames for over a decade doesn't seem like a super marketable choice honestly.

-Every set of smash DLC has to have a curveball. Terry wasn't high profile and Byleth is definitely not looking "marketable" atm. Sakurai just needs to think of a moveset for her and he'll do it like the madman he is.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
I think it's hilarious how the most unique FE newcomer got FAR more hate than the clone of a semi-clone added before it - who not only had already crossed the "too many Fire Emblem repz" line, but also got a better reception than the (also unique) FE character before him. All this talk about "too much FE" or "anime swordfighter" became empty after I realized that.

GuiltyGyarados

Banned via Administration
Absolutely. Like when you're calling someone like Chrom a generic character, who not only has a pretty damn established and full personality but also displays said personality in Smash better than many other characters, something's up.
I'm sure the guy who literally started the Chrom thread has a perfectly unbiased opinion on the subject.

D

Deleted member

It’s more important that the character is fun to play as not just recognizability

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I can't think of many Indie characters who can possibly make it in other than Reimu. Maybe Quote but Niantic is... Eh. All the other choices have gotten the Spirit treatment, Assist Trophy treatment, or Miss costumed.

And Touhou is still one of the biggest indie/doujin series around to the point it needs its own con in Japan to hold onto stuff.

And given how Smash is pretty much a celebration of gaming, a playable Indie rep would cover a niche there. Unless Sakurai thinks Mii Costumes and spirits are enough to cover it, then I feel like Reimu is a bit more likely than we think given how her competition is in the game as something other than a spirit yet she's still living.

I could be wrong but I did put her in the "Unexpected/Niche/Regional/Whatever" category for me there given how she gets written off a lot despite most possible indie choices getting Axed.

Slick Guy

Smash Cadet
Huh?

What are you talking about Three Houses has been crazy successful and they've been pushing it like crazy, Byleth is absolutely marketable.

-I'm just referring to his reception as a fighter and the hate he's brought. There's no arguing the commercial success of 3 houses. (Petra is best girl and I'm glad she's on the stage)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom