• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Idk man people were screaming that I'm mean because I say Papagenos does clickbait and that I shouldn't be mean cause he's chill while he has a ****ing meltdown over Byleth screaming at every tiny thing that happens
Unfortunately, I normally defend Papa as a person from you because at least he doesn't get salty

But the salt was real. I ate a burger at Texas Roadhouse tonight that was less salty.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
So knowing that Smash is frontloaded, will #6 or #7 be the one to set hype levels far too high for anybody else to compare? I think it'll be a bit of both. Maybe #8, as well.

Then, inevitably, people will convince themselves that #11 is going to be the day Smash ends with a bang... and it will, it will, not live up to those unrealistic expectations.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Oh no, god forbid people don't like a character being in the game. Seriously, I get that people are acting pretty silly over this, but getting legitimately mad that people are dissappointed is just as bad. Im seeing people who are actually complaining that people are disliking the video, they pushed a button, christ.
There's a difference between disliking a character or being disappointed and actually having a ****in' Ace Attorney breakdown like some people have.

You wanna dislike the video and go on with your day? Fine.

You wanna voice your disappointment? Also fine. I'm actually kind of disappointed myself that Byleth got in while Astral Chain got Spirit'd so I get it.

This?

Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 9.42.27 PM.png

This ain't okay.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Thoughts on entire first Fighters Pass.
I adore it, every character is great, even if they aren't all my first picks..but anyway, individually.
Joker - 10/10
I absolutely love Persona with Persona 5 as my fav. He has a fun moveset, cool stage, awesome Final Smash, and great musical selections..even if my fav P5 song, Life Will Change, didn't make it.
Hero - 7/10
Cool that he has 4 different characters in one via alts and a nice amount of music. A legendary series that definitely earned its place. Just not crazy about no female alts..
Banjo & Kazooie - 8/10
I loved Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie as a kid and miss playing them. They were lovingly brought back to Nintendo with style.
Terry Bogard - 8/10
SNK makes great games and I love fighters. Terry isn't near my fav, but he was brought into the game very well.
Byleth - 10/10
I love Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Byleth is my fav in it..I can't help it..I love my lil head-in-the-clouds professor..Her moveset looks really fun and they finally incorporated the weapon triangle..and I don't care if we have 'too many' FE characters.
Well, if the choose edelgard... weren't smash fans clamoring how smash needed "more villians"? there, if you choose black eagles you have your protagonist, and if you choose opther house you have your villian >:3.

and i unironically love lorenz ._. enjoyed a lot his dinamics with claude, how he realizes what a jerk he was at the beginning and i really enjoyed his vulnerable side with the manuela's supports...

The moment i realized i was enjoying characters like Lorenz and Raphael i realized how much i liked this game.
You're not wrong.
I'm not very far in Golden Deer yet, only went through Black Eagles thus far..though I suspect I'll be fine with Lorenz eventually since I honestly feel like Three Houses has no bad characters.
I think they must have been trying to be predictive with the cameos, and he's a kind-of Virion who's behind Claude in apparent heirarchy. Same way the Black Eagles were all the waifu picks (and not the absurdly-relatable Bernadetta), or the Blue Lions had Dedue and Ingrid instead of Sylvain and Felix.

It's probably locked in at this point and I do wish they had more cameos, but I guess getting that Spirit art can be a mess internally.
Yeah..I'm kind of disappointed at the lack of Bernadetta..at least as a Spirit since her cameo could be ignored as her just being in her room..even if I'd have loved to see her cowering with the book over her head out in the open.
So, with all the Ubisoft Mii Costumes, is Rayman soft confirmed?
Unlikely at best, honestly..I think Ubisoft just doesn't want to say no to having content in Smash Bros.
Call me contrary, but I actually really like Lorenz. Sure he thinks a bit highly of himself, and he deflects compliments like nobody's business ("It is a noble's duty to blahdebladeblah"), but you can tell he genuinely cares for the people around him, and his support line with Marriane is my favorite so far.

He's leagues better than little miss "DON'T TREAT ME LIKE A CHILD!!!" *proceeds to act like a child and be super nasty to everyone because of her almost completely unfounded insecurities*.

You can nuke things twice from four tiles away. Nobody thinks you're incapable of handling yourself!!!
This is also true..I love Lysithea..but she is an insecure brat.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So knowing that Smash is frontloaded, will #6 or #7 be the one to set hype levels far too high for anybody else to compare? I think it'll be a bit of both. Maybe #8, as well.

Then, inevitably, people will convince themselves that #11 is going to be the day Smash ends with a bang... and it will, it will, not live up to those unrealistic expectations.
6 is obviously the one that's gonna set the bar too high, it's most likely going to be revealed at E3 and is the first in season 2, it's seems logical too me.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Why can't people just be happy that we got another character in general? I mean, we already have too many, so any character we get is just icing on the cake.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Oh no, god forbid people don't like a character being in the game. Seriously, I get that people are acting pretty silly over this, but getting legitimately mad that people are dissappointed is just as bad. Im seeing people who are actually complaining that people are disliking the video, they pushed a button, christ.
Only times I have problems with the disappointment is when people are being ***** about it (like lashing out at people on Twitter). Then again, for some, getting pissed about Fire Emblem due to oversaturation comes off as hypocritical to me when they are asking for new Mario or Pokemon characters.

Idk man people were screaming that I'm mean because I say Papagenos does clickbait and that I shouldn't be mean cause he's chill while he has a ****ing meltdown over Byleth screaming at every tiny thing that happens
For once I actually agree with you (somewhat) in regards to PapaGenos (though he's still better than the other people who report on leak stuff, but that's a low bar when the others consist of LaxChris and Blocked Content). I expected him to be disappointed, but I didn't expect him to lose his **** and go on an angry rant like that.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Oh 6 is gonna be a big gun to sell Pass 2 on like how Joker was, I saw some dumb ****s saying Byleth is a terrible way to sell Pass 2 but that isn't Byleth's job, that's the character AFTER Byleth who's supposed to do that

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Oh 6 is gonna be a big gun to sell Pass 2 on like how Joker was, I saw some dumb ****s saying Byleth is a terrible way to sell Pass 2 but that isn't Byleth's job, that's the character AFTER Byleth who's supposed to do that
We've been played, Byleth just gets released again as Fighter 6 to build hype.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I watched a couple of reactions videos... dunno why i lso watched papageno's.. maybe because someone pointed it out here. but daaaamn, it was painful.

I watched Zero's and alpharad's but those don't count since they liked three houses character, but i also watched leffen's, Maxmilian dood and Papa's genos...

Max certainly didn't wanted the character and was expecting dante, yet his video was actually quite funny, Leffen didn't wanted teh character and though he was low tier (which probably is and had a funny face all teh video but it was somehwat entretaining and we are talking about leffen)...

But papagenos was a true whinefest

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
random thought, fighter pass 2 is going all the way to December 2021 huh?

that's approximately 23 months from now

in comparison 23 months ago was around February 2018, literally the month before Ultimate was even revealed to the public in march 2018

so yeah, hope y'all are ready for a loooooonnnng bumpy trip

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
What if they changed Assassin's Creed to Altair in occident because the word "Assassin" doesn't fit with the age rating of the game? I know, it's stupid, but maybe...

D

Deleted member

papagenos highkey be whining about fire emblem while sakurai is trying to make a nice heartfelt "thank you for supporting the pass" message

"smash is so much more than a fighting game"
"YEAH IT'S A FIRE EMBLEM GAME"
"it's a celebration of gaming"
"A CELEBRATION OF FIRE EMBLEM"

like honestly it's okay if you Did Not Vibe with byleth that's okay. that's a valid opinion. this pass had 4 big hitter third parties and ended off with an fe character it's alright to be disappointed by it.

just don't be so ****in rude and disrespectful when you voice your displeasure

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What if they changed Assassin's Creed to Altair in occident because the word "Assassin" doesn't fit with the age rating of the game? I know, it's stupid, but maybe...
It was only changed in America, likely due to America assassinating that Iranian general, Altair's from the middle east iirc so Nintendo thought there may have been a problem

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't understand why these Ubisoft Miis, especially the Rabbids, are showing up now if Rayman's still in the pipeline.

I understand not all companies have their Miis release simultaneously (though usually that's because there's more than one wave's worth), but the Rabbids releasing now is like the KoF and SamSho costumes not releasing with Terry. It doesn't make sense to me.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
I saw PapaGenos reaction and he acts nowhere near as mad as people here are making it out to be. I have to commend him for being honest and not putting on a fake hype reaction like most other youtubers would. Not like anything he said was wrong anyway lol.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The first fighter in Volume 2 will definitely tell us a lot about what to expect for that season. I have a feeling it will be similar to volume 1, if a little lower key. Dante and 2B are two characters who may be able to open the pass, which is something I still can't believe I'm saying.

If I have a single dream pick, it's Travis Touchdown. More than anyone, he's my longtime fan want pick. I finally understand the Geno and Isaac fans when I think about him.

Also, yeah, papagenos's Ace Attorney breakdown is uh....it's something all right. Oof. Yikes.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Oh man, that's harsh. It's just a new character, we have 6 more coming.
Right? Myself and a few others tried to steer the convo to other topics like potential picks for the full Mii Costumes or the new fighters but ****, you wouldn't get that idea from there. Lots of "This is the worst pick possible" and other awful bull**** flying around.

The place I was at is a bit more Geno focused, so that probably explains it, but like, good lord, have some self awareness here.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
papagenos highkey be whining about fire emblem while sakurai is trying to make a nice heartfelt "thank you for supporting the pass" message

"smash is so much more than a fighting game"
"YEAH IT'S A FIRE EMBLEM GAME"
"it's a celebration of gaming"
"A CELEBRATION OF FIRE EMBLEM"

like honestly it's okay if you Did Not Vibe with byleth that's okay. that's a valid opinion. this pass had 4 big hitter third parties and ended off with an fe character it's alright to be disappointed by it.

just don't be so ****in rude and disrespectful when you voice your displeasure
I think the issue is that we have EIGHT Fire Emblem characters while Zelda has three Links, Zelda, Shiek, and Ganondorf.

Honestly, I agree with PapaGenos when he said that this should have just been Monster Hunter's moveset.

D

Deleted member

I watched a couple of reactions videos... dunno why i lso watched papageno's.. maybe because someone pointed it out here. but daaaamn, it was painful.

I watched Zero's and alpharad's but those don't count since they liked three houses character, but i also watched leffen's, Maxmilian dood and Papa's genos...

Max certainly didn't wanted the character and was expecting dante, yet his video was actually quite funny, Leffen didn't wanted teh character and though he was low tier (which probably is and had a funny face all teh video but it was somehwat entretaining and we are talking about leffen)...

But papagenos was a true whinefest
Watch ESAM's reaction. Him and MVD dug Byleth without actually playing Three Houses.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Unfortunately, I normally defend Papa as a person from you because at least he doesn't get salty

But the salt was real. I ate a burger at Texas Roadhouse tonight that was less salty.
The salt that Papageno had rivals that salt I put into my popcorn when I had when I went to go see Weathering With You last night.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The salt that Papageno had rivals that salt I put into my popcorn when I had when I went to go see Weathering With You last night.
That's nothing to that time as a kid where I literally ate salt out of the salt shaker.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I think the issue is that we have EIGHT Fire Emblem characters while Zelda has three Links, Zelda, Shiek, and Ganondorf.

Honestly, I agree with PapaGenos when he said that this should have just been Monster Hunter's moveset.
> Ignoring the large representation that Legend of Zelda has with items, stages, music and assist trophies
Just because you don't care about those things doesn't mean that they're not important

Fire Emblem has 4 Marths, so it's disingenuous to say "wow LoZ only has 4 unique characters while FE has 8!" since Fire Emblem only has 5 unique characters (Marth, Ike, Robin, Corrin, and now Byleth) itself.

The two really aren't that far apart, and LoZ certainly beats out Fire Emblem in overall representation. This is a false dilemma.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It was only changed in America, likely due to America assassinating that Iranian general, Altair's from the middle east iirc so Nintendo thought there may have been a problem
It was obviously because Assassin has the word Ass in it twice, which isn't for good boys and girls.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion

I'm all for a new zelda character, and giving ganondorf a new and cool neutral B, but throwing **** at fire emblem won't magically create a zelda character.

BTW, vote for Kass, Kass is the Zelda newcomer we really need. (Mipha and urbosa are also accepted though)

I do agree that monster hunter would rock the moveset pretty well though but hey

Is not like they are the only ones doing weapons from monsters :4pacman:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I don't think Rayman will make it. My theory is that Ubisoft was trying to push for Rayman playable as a dlc (they did encourage people to vote for Rayman in the ballot, so I'm sure Ubisoft still wanted him in there). For some reason, Nintendo don't want him, but after some discussion they agree to add some mii costumes. The problem is that Rayman as a mii would feel really off (how do you even make a mii of someone that don't have arms?), so in the they put other Ubisoft franchises. That's just a theory, but I just don't see Rayman happening and I could imagine that Ubisoft wanted something so it just end up like that.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
The thing with Fire Emblem is that its second to only Pokemon in terms of sheer amount of vible easy to make Smash characters. Like last I check the number of name units and villains is around the 500 to 600 mark.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Normally, Papagenos is pretty chill, but there's seriously no way to defend his reaction to Byleth. Dude barely gave Byleth any chance because it disrupted the narrative that the final character was going to be something amazing, when all past precedent instead had the opposite happening. It wasn't that he disliked the moveset, seeing how he tried to pin it off to a completely separate character that better fit his definition of .

I'm gonna give the benefit of the doubt and hope this is a one time thing, because that was pretty ****ty to see.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
The first fighter in Volume 2 will definitely tell us a lot about what to expect for that season. I have a feeling it will be similar to volume 1, if a little lower key. Dante and 2B are two characters who may be able to open the pass, which is something I still can't believe I'm saying.

If I have a single dream pick, it's Travis Touchdown. More than anyone, he's my longtime fan want pick. I finally understand the Geno and Isaac fans when I think about him.

Also, yeah, papagenos's Ace Attorney breakdown is uh....it's something all right. Oof. Yikes.
Yeah. I like Papa but that was way too much and I'd personally be pretty embarrassed to put out a video like that. Even my two least wanted characters wouldn't draw that side out of me. I get being bummed over a character, I was pretty bummed over Terry at first, but holy ****. The video was 40 mins of whining after like 10 seconds of being excited. I'm not asking for fake excitement, but at least don't write the character off after only the trailer and don't be a **** about it when they move on to Mii Costumes and ****.

That's nothing to that time as a kid where I literally ate salt out of the salt shaker.
Mate, I did the same thing but with ketchup.

..... I dont know why I shared that.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Also worth noting is that this place is incredibly sensitive to any negativity against the roster. A little gets interpreted as a lot, so something primarily negative probably gets interpreted as, idk, vitriolic or a tantrum or something, even if the person seems pretty composed. Not that I can say I watched any of these recent videos, I'm speaking more in generalities and only going by past experience.

I'm aware people here probably disagree with this.

Oddball

Smash Lord
With all the characters they've put into the game, they can't all be winners. You're going to find some you don't like. Anyone that thought they'd love every single character on the fighter's pass was just fooling themselves.

Byleth is a big "meh" for me. I don't care for the guy. I don't care for Fire Emblem in general, but getting a Fire Emblem character isn't the worst thing in the world. It's maybe disappointing at best, but you can't win them all.

There's some great mii costumes coming up though. Those look pretty awesome... although I don't know why Cuphead gets a full mask and the rabbids just get costume hoods. That's kind of a weird choice.

Plus, hey... SIX MORE CHARACTERS! We all still have hope that our favorites might still make it. That's not even counting the mii costumes that are coming out with them. Who knows who else we'll see.

I'm still holding out hope for Captain N the Game Master.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Normally, Papagenos is pretty chill, but there's seriously no way to defend his reaction to Byleth. Dude barely gave Byleth any chance because it disrupted the narrative that the final character was going to be something amazing, when all past precedent instead had the opposite happening. It wasn't that he disliked the moveset, seeing how he tried to pin it off to a completely separate character that better fit his definition of .

I'm gonna give the benefit of the doubt and hope this is a one time thing, because that was pretty ****ty to see.
They say you learn a lot about a person when they don't get what they want.

I'd say his reaction is very telling of who he actually is behind that Youtube persona, and I certainly wouldn't be surprised if we see this side of him again sometime.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

I'd say his reaction is very telling of who he actually is behind that Youtube persona, and I certainly wouldn't be surprised if we see this side of him again sometime.
I try not to judge people based on the lowest moment I see them at, because if I do that then I'd like literally no people on the planet, but yeah, it was real ugly to see that come out. If that becomes the tone of his channel I'd probably be done with his vids, which sucks because his stuff is good for when I'm sick of speculation and just want to take a week off of this crap and catch up later. Like even if you don't like the character at least give it a little chance. Otherwise I could get the same content from some randos reddit account with 15 posts all time

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Also worth noting is that this place is incredibly sensitive to any negativity against the roster. A little gets interpreted as a lot, so something primarily negative probably gets interpreted as, idk, vitriolic or a tantrum or something, even if the person seems pretty composed. Not that I can say I watched any of these recent videos, I'm speaking more in generalities and only going by past experience.

I'm aware people here probably disagree with this.
Maybe I'm just a bigot, but I'm pretty incapable of vibing in a conversation when someone goes, "**** Fire Emblem." Doubly so when they never tried it.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I hope we get a new Fire Emblem announced before S2 is over just to see how the Smash community will react, because while Fire Emblem fandom will be excited as **** especially if its a Genealogy of the Holy War remake, the Smash fandom will be full of dread, fear, hatred, and most of all salt.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

I hate to say it, but you're probably right. It's kinda strange that someone who was previously a bit of a unifying figure would be the type to start getting the gasoline once things don't go his way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom