• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polan

Smash Lord
i knew my suspicions about three houses not getting a spirit event were correct. i'm baffled at the nerds acting like sakurai murdered their families though. there's 6 more characters coming. no need to get mad.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
And final note: It says Super Smash Brothers Ultimate X Altair, not Super Smash Brothers X Assassin's Creed. Just saying.
Only in America

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
So now that we all know the characters of our first pass. How would you rate it and the characters?
:ultjoker: - 5/10: Was certainly an unexpected pick and opened a lot of doors (both good and bad) but I have no attachment to Persona so I can't exactly say I was jovial. But an interesting opener for the pass.

:ulthero: - 7/10: I have little attachment to his series of origin but I love his spell mechanics and how it helps differentiate him. Plus Dragon Quest has a storied history with Nintendo so he's more than earned the spot!

:ultbanjokazooie: - 10/10: By far my favorite addition to the pass, the duo is back and brimming with personality and charm! Despite his somewhat simplistic moveset his moves are very inspired, the stage and remixes are fantastic, and it just feels so good to see a pair of former Nintendo characters come home! A great victory!

:ult_terry: - 7.5/10: I knew little to nothing about SNK until Smash speculation (it isn't very popular here in the States, and it usually overshadowed by Street Fighter and Tekken), but it was nice to receive the history lesson from Sakurai, and I feel that Terry brought some interesting mechanics to the fighter's pass. Plus all of his content was made with a lot of passion, we have him to thank for all of this!

Byleth - 2/10: ....ugh, this was the kind of character I was fearing. I like classic FE but I have little care for the modern games, and the constant red carpet treatment they get. Though I do like how all of the house leaders were integrated into the moveset, Sakurai never fails to be creative.

Overall score: 6/10

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Only in America
Ahhh, okay. Guess we ain't getting Ezio then :(

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So now that we all know the characters of our first pass. How would you rate it and the characters?
:ultjoker:9/10 What a nice surprise this one was. Never played Persona 5, but his moveset won me over easily
:ulthero:6/10 Pretty fun to fool around with. That being said, his playstyle isn't that practical enough for me
:ultbanjokazooie:5/10 Eh... got no real ties with Banjo and his moveset is a little basic for my tastes. Happy for his fans tho. Was personally on the Steve train when it came to Microsoft representation. Here's hoping next pass.
:ult_terry:9/10 Just an overall blast to play. Also, 50 SONGS!
bye.png
10/10 YEEEEEAAAAAAHHHH! One of my most wanted fighters, and looks to have a super fun moveset

Joker, Terry and Byleth pretty much made this pass for me

Hero and Banjo I could take or leave

but yeah, overall I'd say the 25 bucks was more than worth it

Overall: 8/10

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Sakurai: "We are proud to announce Panda as our next DLC fighter!"
Gentlepanda Gentlepanda gonna **** us up

What I want to know about the new DLC after Byleth is how the balance will be, outside of Joker who has a high skill ceiling to the point only top players seem to be finding good success with him. Hero's a mixed bag despite the toddlers claiming otherwise, Banjo was mid as seen day 1 and Terry, I have no clue what people think of Terry but I don't see him too much so that's another mid at best. Byleth's speed and frame data look ****ing bad though lmao

Night Gale

Smash Ace
I am certain once Byleth is released people are going to be more receptive to the character after playing them.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I have really hard time believing this since Erdrick was leaked for like 6 months before his reveal. He was Ken levels of bad secret keeping
But if you push Hero into the next pass you don't get to capitalize on DQ11 as much. Could be relevant.

Only in America
I wish it was only in America, but due to proximity, sometimes your unnecessary censorship leaks upstairs and confuses me during presentations.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Terry 5/10: I get that Terry is an iconic fighting game character but I have no attachment to King of Fighters. To me he pretty much just seems like Ryu with a "get rewarded for getting outplayed gimmick" and broken english.
That's not really how it works in practice. Sure his super moves are powerful and can turn a match around, but they are high risk and only available when you're at your weakest. It's more of a trade off than a pure boost like Limit and the Rebel Gague.

Gentlepanda Gentlepanda gonna **** us up

What I want to know about the new DLC after Byleth is how the balance will be, outside of Joker who has a high skill ceiling to the point only top players seem to be finding good success with him. Hero's a mixed bag despite the toddlers claiming otherwise, Banjo was mid as seen day 1 and Terry, I have no clue what people think of Terry but I don't see him too much so that's another mid at best. Byleth's speed and frame data look ****ing bad though lmao
It kinda looks like he acts like a traditional heavy. If that's the case then he'll be banished to the bottom tier almost instantly.

D

Deleted member

Good morning Smashboards.

Still the same Lesley Black Velvet in a new body.

Missed me?

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
This appauling and asinine thinking that there are more 'deserving' characters than EVERYONE in FE or my favorite 'Marth number 1,0002938189199191' is making me sick and slunped. This blatant hate for Fire Emblem as a whole is just.....why tho. They don't 'deserve' popularity? Is that it? Even I Saw Byleth joining in at some point.

You know what the best part is? It wouldn't matter if Byleth was on the 2nd fighter's pass, or 3rd or 4th or 5th. The very existence of a another Fire Emblem character will just emit just a big a backlash as now.

Last edited:

andree123

Smash Ace
:ultjoker: 8/10 - Wow, I expected one of Sakurai's favorite games to have a representation with a playable fighter, good job Sakurai. I haven't played that much of him.
:ulthero: 7/10 - Eh, very gimmicky but it was fun at some parts. Just like Joker, I haven't played that much of him.
:ultbanjokazooie: 10/10 - I predicted him to be one of the fighters to be in smash because of a glitch theory and I was right, they worked well and good.

Byleth 7/10 - Way too early to be a fighters pass character, but this is weird that Sakurai gotten access to a early version of FETH just like how he gotten access to a early version of BOTW, that may be the reason why Xenoblade 2 wasn't delayed at all. I don't have the game and the DLC yet but I'll try him/her soon.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Tin foil hat theory time.

I hope Sakurai using BotW as an example and specifically mentioning BotW Zelda's inability to fight again leads to something interesting in FP2.

If Zelda's somehow playable in BotW 2 (which I'm really hoping she is) maybe we'll finally get a new LoZ character.
Let it be Impa.

D

Deleted member

Welcome back. Disappeared and reappeared in a day's time.
Y'know, I was not gonna go back to Smashboards should FP5 be male, but now that Byleth here, and comes with the female alt, I decided I'm...coming back.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I LOVE FIRE EMBLEM!!

There, it had to be said.

Banjo and Byleth are the best of this fighter pass. And this is coming from a HUGE Rare fan, if the username didn't suggest this already.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That's not really how it works in practice. Sure his super moves are powerful and can turn a match around, but they are high risk and only available when you're at your weakest. It's more of a trade off than a pure boost like Limit and the Rebel Gague.

It kinda looks like he acts like a traditional heavy. If that's the case then he'll be banished to the bottom tier almost instantly.
Traditional heavies aren't filled to the brim with disjoints, Ridley's the only one and he's a huge ****** so he suffers typical Heavy problems which Byleth won't due to their body size and shape. That being said we don't even know their weight so that doesn't help either

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Couldn't watch it live, but congrats to Byleth supporters! Not yet played FE 3 houses but they look unique and I am absolutely gushing at the Cuphead Mii Costume.

On another note, to those of you mocking anyone feeling disappointed or strawmaning the Geno thread/other fanbases, can you maybe take the victory with a bit more class please? One or two people throwing a tantrum isn't "the Geno/Smash fanbase in a nutshell" and this circle jerk is lowkey childish.

Anyway, while I've no attachment to FE 3 Houses, it's nice to see 1st Parties back on the table:4diddy:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Well, here are my thoughts on the pass. Probably gonna have a lot of people disagree, but whatever. It's my opinion and I'll own it.

:ultjoker: 6/10 - Ehh...he's okay. Persona 5 is cool and all, but I didn't really want him in Smash. Moveset is unique-ish. Not perfect, but not something I'd complain about.
:ulthero: 8/10 - No attachment to the series, but I'm happy we got a DQ character. Kinda wish there was more to make him unique though. He relies too much on that one move.
:ultbanjokazooie: 6/10 - Never really wanted him in Smash, and I still think he was overrated as heck. Still, I guess it's cool Sakurai acknowledged the fans.
:ult_terry:4/10 - Don't really know much about this guy or his franchise, but I think there were better options for a fighting game character. His moveset isn't all that unique either compared to what we could've gotten instead.
Byleth 5/10 - Didn't want another FE character, like, at all. It's a win because first-parties are confirmed, but any Nintendo character could've done that for me.

Overall, I don't feel very strongly about this pass one way or the other. Didn't outright hate any of the characters, but I didn't love any of them either.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
sakurai said the future DLC would be "fan favorites" right?

I don't think it's too out there to expect some Spirit promotions if not ATs as a LOT of Fan Favorites are Spirits

D

Deleted member

I don't think it's too out there to expect some Spirit promotions if not ATs as a LOT of Fan Favorites are Spirits
If anything, they'll already take top contenders like Geno, Shantae, etc.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So uh... I realized something weird. When Sakurai talks about how he's "personally sorry for not revealing the contents for FP2"... the subtitles say "Please only purchase if you're OK with that", but the voice over says "I hope you'll understand and purchase it anyway". What's up with that one? Can someone who knows japanese translate Sakurai's original sentence?

Just think it's... weird that this contradiction happened, is all.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I'm hyped for Byleth. Didn't play 3H but their moveset looks dope.

If I had to rate the FP:
Joker - 8/10
- Not very good as him, but I like Persona and he feels pretty fun to play. The music is great too.

Hero - 5/10
- No attachment to Dragon Quest, not the biggest fan of Akira Toriyama's style, the music is meh. I only really like the novelty of the command menu and the wonky bull**** it can do.

Banjo+Kazooie - 8/10
- Really liked these games as a kid and they've been adapted well in Smash. The music is great, and they have a neat kit, but he's not super fun to play as for me.

Terry - 6/10
- Only vaguely knew about him before his Smash debut. Can't play him for **** but hitting his Super moves or whatever they're called feels really good. And at least I've played other fighting games so I can do inputs lmao.

Byleth - tentative 9/10
- Haven't played 3H but have played other FE games. Their moveset looks really cool and I know the music is good too. Can't say for sure if they'll be a full 9/10 but looking positive.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
My only issue with Blyleth is that he/she was probably a character nintendo could develop quickly using the other FE assets. I'm sure Blyleth's animations are pretty much the same between Link/Pit/ and the FE characters with a few tweaks.

Id just rather see a character thats not pieced together from everyone else.

Y'know, I was not gonna go back to Smashboards should FP5 be male, but now that Byleth here, and comes with the female alt, I decided I'm...coming back.
I figured the last character would be a female, Im just surprised that it was an alt, and fire emblem as well.
I'm pretty sure we'll get 1 more female character for the second pass as well.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
So uh... I realized something weird. When Sakurai talks about how he's "personally sorry for not revealing the contents for FP2"... the subtitles say "Please only purchase if you're OK with that", but the voice over says "I hope you'll understand and purchase it anyway". What's up with that one? Can someone who knows japanese translate Sakurai's original sentence?

Just think it's... weird that this contradiction happened, is all.
American capitalism baybeeee. Knowing Sakurai he doesn't like not showing the content in advance and considering we'll have to wait nearly 2 years from now to complete this I agree

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
How is Dante not a shoe-in at this point? What other developer has played this game of "hehe i dunnooo you'll have to ask Nintendo~~" for this long? They've teased and teased, no way their announcement on Twitter wasn't some sort of freak coincidence. Then the teasing of asking Nintendo for DMC games for Switch, immediately followed by said games' announcement?

Also speculating a new Pokemon, if not Rillaboom for rounding out the starter types, then whomever wins the popularity contest this time around.

If Rex/Pyra, Rex/Mythra, or just Rex alone were in existence when decisions for this round of DLC were made, then they're almost a shoe-in as well.

Question remains on who I think the other three would be. I'd like to have Master Chief on the table, but have more doubts about him than the aforementioned characters.
Dante, 2B and Phoenix are the three I know will get in the second pass. Rex, I would be surprised if they didnt add him either

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

He did not say that. he said that DLC would be an "opportunity to delight the fans".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom