• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Smaller team is one thing as other people said, but it also needs to be noted that the December 31, 2021 date is just the latest the content will all be available, it might very well be earlier. Like, it's such a standard placeholder date, all it really tells us is that development will likely go on well into 2021, but I doubt it'll be the full 2 years.
Yeah, I assume 2 is just the actual.amount of development time rounded up.

Then again, 2.4 can be rounded to 2.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah, I assume 2 is just the actual.amount of development time rounded up.

Then again, 2.4 can be rounded to 2.
I mean after all, Byleth's coming at the end of January and the original end date was Feb 29, 2020. They're ahead of schedule (didn't they say something about a surplus too?)

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Smash bros reusing animations is nothing new

The cameo 3 houses characters in the BG reuse animation from the cameo characters in the Persona 5 and KoF stage

ZelDan

Smash Master
not going to bother with number ratings but this basically sums up my feelings:

Joker, Hero, Banjo, Terry = "Meh"

Byleth = "........I'm okay with this"

So overall I'd say Byleth is probably my favorite FP character. Not because they themselves are super hype or exciting necessarily (would have preferred Edelgard), but they basically win by default since Three Houses is the only game I played represented in the pass game BEFORE it's character got revealed, unlike Banjo & Kazooie, and I actually finished and loved said game, Unlike DQVIII (game isn't bad, I just got stuck on a boss, started other games and never really went back to it). never touched a Persona or SNK game (outside of shortly messing around with a Metal slug arcade cabinet once or twice in the past).

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
There has never been more backlash towards a Smash Bros. character in history.
This is genuinely concerning. Byleth's inclusion may have drastically changed the community permanently.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Smash bros reusing animations is nothing new

The cameo 3 houses characters in the BG reuse animation from the cameo characters in the Persona 5 and KoF stage
I'm fine with this as long as none of them use the idle animation of that creepy slasher film character.

This is genuinely concerning. Byleth's inclusion may have drastically changed the community permanently.
We'll get over it. We always do.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Going by one game I month I've a few things to look forward to. FF7 Remake, Animal Crossing. Non gaming things like Re;Zero Season 2, No Time to Die and more.
So excited for the new Animal Crossing.

i should shut my mouth tho unless we want villager part 3 in smash

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It won't because the complaints aren't new. We already did this song and dance with Corrin (and Bayo), who I do think were worse, reception-wise. I mean, there were two of them, and neither really hit the mark with the fanbase, they actually ended the DLC so expectations were dashed, and peoples' hopes were really really really high (some with good reason - ie. the ballot, and some for bad - ie. thinking Cloud was the "appetizer").

Hell I think even ROB had it worse than this. The closing character always gets a ton of ****. This alarmism will die down quickly because hope is still alive.

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597
You can tell just by looking at them. Like I said they aren't exactly the same, but I can tell how they've been modified slightly like in the hands area. In Nintendo's defense I guess there is only so many ways you can pull a bow string. Wouldn't make much sense to start from scratch.

View attachment 258152
Everyone is so critical about Byleth but no one cared about Banjo having variants of Ridley's Bair, Mario's Fair, Duck Hunt's Upair, Ivysaur's Nair, etc...

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Not really sure why people are acting like Byleth has tons of reused animations. Most of their attacks are literally taken from Three Houses.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You can tell just by looking at them. Like I said they aren't exactly the same, but I can tell how they've been modified slightly like in the hands area. In Nintendo's defense I guess there is only so many ways you can pull a bow string. Wouldn't make much sense to start from scratch.

View attachment 258152
That's one move. Every DLC character has shared at least 1 move. Joker shares a lot of moves with other fighters, Hero shares moves with other fighters, Banjo does it and Terry does it. Your theory on Byleth basically being resource fodder relies on the idea that it only applied to Byleth
Lmaoooo Corrin was waaay worse dude. 3H being a ****ing outstanding game has helped Byleth's reputation, maybe it's because there's at least 6 characters left but this isn't nearly as bad as Corrin's reactions were

D

Deleted member

I got back from work, so I'll ask if there's any Virgin Corrin vs Chad Byleth memes going around now.

Also, 6 Fighter Packs for Vol 2 aye? We're going to be in for quite the year now.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Oh my gosh.

Are people starting to use Pokemon dexxit arguments like "Reused animations" to complain about Byleth?

I...That's it. We've done it: We've achieved peak toxic fandom. Nothing can top this. I'm honestly amazed.

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
I got back from work, so I'll ask if there's any Virgin Corrin vs Chad Byleth memes going around now.

Also, 6 Fighter Packs for Vol 2 aye? We're going to be in for quite the year now.
2 years. DLC could stretch to 12/2021. I reckon itll be 3 fighters this year and next or 2this year and 4 next year

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Remember back when Brawls complete roster was revealed and people hated Wolf because he was "another Fox-Clone"
(and because some thought that Star Fox didn't deserve more characters then Donkey Kong) ?
Then he got cut from Smash 4 and people demanded him as DLC (with many seeing him as a "shoo-in").

Those where the days.

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Honestly, since Byleth is in the game....

I kinda want Lu Bu to be the Koei rep for Smash and have his trailer challenge Byleth, Edelgard, Claude, and Dimitri. Because Three Houses is basically Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Dynasty Warriors is basically a more over the top version of Three Kingdoms.

100% impossible choice but would be memed to hell and back if it happened.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Remember back when Brawls complete roster was revealed and people hated Wolf because he was "another Fox-Clone"
(and because some thought that Stat Fox didn't deserve more characters then Donkey Kong) ?
Then he got cut from Smash 4 and people demanded him as DLC (with many seeing him as a "shoo-in").

Those where the days.
There will be people upset if Corrin gets cut in the next game, mark my words.

Saelind Genesis

Smash Apprentice
I was upset at Byleth in the game for like 3.2 seconds.

Already excited for them.

Still a stupid ass ****ing name tho

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Good morning Smashboards.

Still the same Lesley Black Velvet in a new body.

Missed me?
welcome back

sakurai said the future DLC would be "fan favorites" right?

I don't think it's too out there to expect some Spirit promotions if not ATs as a LOT of Fan Favorites are Spirits
would be nice.. but where the hell did you hear that?

as I the 6 next characters being just fan favourites dunno how i would feel about that :S sometimes the smash fanbase can have a lot of bandwagonig...and when i just see the characters with the most amount of votes in a list, i feel the FP would look sightly dry :S

While characters like doomguy excite me (mostly because doom is an incredible fun game, doom 2016 is an incredible fun game, etc), characters like hayabusa, dante or geno don't do much for me.

While Doomguy and dante you can make cases about not only popularity, but relevancy, history and plenty of other stuff... other characters only have popularity, and sometimes it comes from echo chambering and bandwagoning, Though i have 0 problem with that, but a fighter pass just about it? dunno if it excites me.

That being said, i'm partidary that at least one of teh slots gets filled with a character that only has popularity, kinda like banjo. there is a certain good feel when a lot of people feel happy.

Byleth have been a mixed bag, for one part, I totally adore Three houses and the game deserved this kind of content even if a lot of people is salting hard. is not FE3h fault that corrin and roy managed to become mainstays by mere chance. (i don't count Lucina and chrom cause echoes). On the other hand, byleth singlehandly disconfirm hard one of my most wanted newcomers (Edelgard) and from a game where i loved 3 of it's 4 protagonist ... is a little dissapointing that the guy/gal i just meh is the guy/gal in...

Is not like byleth is a terrible character... is just that Edelgard, Claude and Dimitri were so friggin interesting. Still, overall happy, and Garreg Mach is pure bliss, even if doesn't look like the most legal stage out there.

Still whateves, I guess we aren't getting echo characters, but i guess i can still support Edelgard as a posible Byleth echo... i mean.. people are suporting Celica as a robin echo, so is not that absurd. (obviously i'm not expecting much about that)

I think that it would be great if teh pass is a mixed bag of nostalgia, new blood, hardcore favourites and even new demographics, but overall to get a diverse feel on it.

And i think thats how sakurai also feels, so i think that he may have pushed for at least another big fan favorite on the pass.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Oh my gosh.

Are people starting to use Pokemon dexxit arguments like "Reused animations" to complain about Byleth?

I...That's it. We've done it: We've achieved peak toxic fandom. Nothing can top this. I'm honestly amazed.
Eh.... There's a huge difference between those scenarios, Game Freak claimed they had to redo every animation which wasn't the case whereas this claim is that Byleth only got in due to being able to reuse animations of other characters which is only being argued by 1 person who's seemingly unaware this is the case for every character.

Also Grinch was worse than this

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
(and because some thought that Stat Fox didn't deserve more characters then Donkey Kong) ?

Those where the days.
That was back when Sakurai had Star Fox bias. And Kirby bias. But then he dropped those to get Kid Icarus bias, and even apparently Xenoblade bias. Neither of those lasted long though before the FE bias we know and love took over.

Because that's totally how biases work and not antithetical to the idea of what a bias is.

Good times.

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice
:ultjoker: 8/10- Came with a great stage and music selection. Opened my mind to the possibilities to that they can do and ultimately set the standard. Pretty fun character to boot as well. Not much to be said as nothing was particularity bad while everything about the pack was above average.

:ulthero: 6/10 - While the character is overall well done and true to the series, I'm not a fan of random elements to the extent that Hero presents. Anything that lowers the skill ceiling makes games less enjoyable in my eyes(You can probably guess at this point who's getting the high rating). The music could have been better and while the stage is visually appealing in the background, there's very little going for it.

:ultbanjokazooie: 7/10 - What do you get when you mix a fantastic stage, awesome music selection, and a fan favorite with a nostalgic return? You get Banjo of course. It's a bit disappointing then that I don't find the character as fun to play as I wished. He has always been a fan favorite for me as a kid and seeing spiral mountain again with most of it's iconic tracks brought back memories. I just wish his gameplay loop was a bit more entertaining personally. The most exciting thing about the character is Wonder Wing, but it's unfortunately a move designed to be used in sparse moments. So you get exciting moments every once in awhile followed by dragged out zoning and poking. Don't get me wrong, he has his moments and it's for someone, but not me.

:ult_terry: 10/10 - Oh my lord what can I say about Terry? Probably that he made the entire fighters pass for me! Everything about this pack just oozes personality, flair, and a love for a franchise I find to be infectious. Certainly biased due to enjoying fighting games, but I love the gameplay mechanics Terry has (Feels like they learned from the designs of Ryu and Ken) that leave a lot of room for improvement. It adds to the enjoyment of the character as you find more and more ways to approach different matchups. The stages and music are above and beyond in terms of respect to SNK as a whole and overall quality. If I had one complaint is that I wish there was a alternate skin such as Mark of the Wolves. Other than that, there's no flaws that I can find.

Byleth 5/10 - (First impressions. It'll change when the character comes out). I've watched the trailer and breakdown numerous times. However, as much as I try to let the initial letdown fade over time, I can't help but feel unimpressed from what I saw. The design of the moves felt very basic and struck as something I've seen before. There are some neat tid bits like the small aoe on the down b or the additional power of a charged neutral b, but nothing really that made me go "Oh that's a game changer.". The stage itself is very nice with an level of care that I appreciate much like most of the stages in the pack. Can't comment on the music yet.

Overall: 7.2/10

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
That was back when Sakurai had Star Fox bias. And Kirby bias. But then he dropped those to get Kid Icarus bias, and even apparently Xenoblade bias. Neither of those lasted long though before the FE bias we know and love took over.

Because that's totally how biases work and not antithetical to the idea of what a bias is.

Good times.
I love how people accuse Sakurai of being bias towards his favorite series, when reality they are also being bias about a character who didn't make that is from one of their favorite series.

There is no winning here, no matter who directs a future Smash game will have some biases towards certain franchises and we all will have to accept that.

MooMew64

Eh.... There's a huge difference between those scenarios, Game Freak claimed they had to redo every animation which wasn't the case whereas this claim is that Byleth only got in due to being able to reuse animations of other characters which is only being argued by 1 person who's seemingly unaware this is the case for every character.

Also Grinch was worse than this
Mmmm yeah Grinch was worse now that I think about it lol.

Well, at least on here. Social media has been a mess today, but then again it always is. :p

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It doesn't seem anywhere near as bad as the backlash against Wolf/ROB in Brawl, Dark Pit in Smash 4, or Corrin in Smash 4's DLC. (or Bayonetta in the competitive scene - people were being booed just for using her) Then again, I've been avoiding Twitter and Reddit, so maybe it's worse there.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I love how people accuse Sakurai of being bias towards his favorite series, when reality they are also being bias about a character who didn't make that is from one of their favorite series.

There is no winning here, no matter who directs a future Smash game will have some biases towards certain franchises and we all will have to accept that.
The only bias claims that don't go away are for Zelda and FE it seems, Sakurai MUST hate Zelda for not getting an extra character yet as soon as FE gets a new song or a character highlight on the Smash blog, people throw a fit

cosmicB

Smash Ace
ngl, I'm super happy with Byleth. Only other characters I could think of that would fit my playstyle more would be 2B, Dante, Lloyd and possibly Travis. And I'm sure at least one of those is still coming.

MooMew64

It doesn't seem anywhere near as bad as the backlash against Wolf/ROB in Brawl, Dark Pit in Smash 4, or Corrin in Smash 4's DLC. (or Bayonetta in the competitive scene - people were being booed just for using her) Then again, I've been avoiding Twitter and Reddit, so maybe it's worse there.
Dunno about Reddit but Twitter has been pretty ugly on the Smash side of things. Looooooots of bitter people on both sides.

Fire Emblem fans are happy though, lol.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Good times.
...when did he ever have a Starfox bias?

Kid icarus, he gave that cast life instead of just being a generic 80's game, I think he deserves that much content.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
To be fair, Dark Pit sucks. :p:p:teeth::p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom