• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I can't really rate the DLC characters. I love all of 'em, and none of their reveals disappointed me.

Joker and Byleth were the highlights for me, though.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The contents of the second pass are still up in the air. So without dipping into Spirits, fan-favorites, third-parties, and whatnot, all we can say for sure after today is that:

1. We're getting six more characters.
2. First-parties are on the table.

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
My only issue with Blyleth is that he/she was probably a character nintendo could develop quickly using the other FE assets. I'm sure Blyleth's animations are pretty much the same between Link/Pit/ and the FE characters with a few tweaks.

Id just rather see a character thats not pieced together from everyone else.
Gonna need a source on that one.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
sakurai said the future DLC would be "fan favorites" right?

I don't think it's too out there to expect some Spirit promotions if not ATs as a LOT of Fan Favorites are Spirits
He never said DLC post pass 1 would be fan favorites, he just said it gave him the ability to add more favorites in a very general sense.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Traditional heavies aren't filled to the brim with disjoints, Ridley's the only one and he's a huge ****** so he suffers typical Heavy problems which Byleth won't due to their body size and shape. That being said we don't even know their weight so that doesn't help either
I suppose that's true.

"Meet Byleth, our newest heav-"
*Female Byleth appears in the doorway.*
"-vily resistant to being launched type of fighters."
*Female Byleth gives the "I'm watching you" gesture and then leaves."
My only issue with Blyleth is that he/she was probably a character nintendo could develop quickly using the other FE assets. I'm sure Blyleth's animations are pretty much the same between Link/Pit/ and the FE characters with a few tweaks.

Id just rather see a character thats not pieced together from everyone else.

I figured the last character would be a female, Im just surprised that it was an alt, and fire emblem as well.
I'm pretty sure we'll get 1 more female character for the second pass as well.
Wat? They have tons of unique animations. Even if they did reuse certain animations it wouldn't make them the cheap ones; Joker does this as well.
EDIT: I don't mean to imply that Joker is cheap either. Just that he does the same thing.

Last edited:

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Guys, we are at page 1985. This means we will be getting Bruce Springsteen, Madonna, (way before Nirvana) U2, and Blondie (whose music was still on MTV).

The band Bowling for Soup predicted this around 2004 with their song, "1985".

Boom. Fighters 6-9 leaked.

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
honestly would've rather had a 3rd party character

new fire emblem character = new smash game rule is still intact (probably other than og 12 and new pokemon one of the safer fan rules for smash)

congrats to byleth fans

ranking the fighter pass 1 in terms of happiness

terry > hero > joker > banjo = byleth

Sysreq

Smash Ace
So, now that most fan theories have been shown to be pointless and wrong, isn't speculation pretty much just saying what characters you want in the game?

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
So now that we all know the characters of our first pass. How would you rate it and the characters?
:ultjoker: 8/10 - Love Persona and SMT, he was really out of left field and his moveset takes an interesting route with Arsene

:ulthero: 5/10 - Only played one DQ game, didn't feel too much hype for him, but still an okay pick. I like the fact that he uses magic

:ultbanjokazooie: 10/10 - My most wanted character ever from my favorite N64 game, now my permanent main

:ult_terry: 6/10 - Only really know him from MUGEN, but still a really cool addition. The input commands are a neat feature

(Byleth) 3/10 - I'm just gonna say it, I'm not a huge Fire Emblem fan. Congrats to everyone who wanted him/her, but I'm not hyped for them at all. My opinion can change depending on if they're fun to play when released, and one thing I'm thankful for is that they at least have other weapons besides swords, but that's about the only positive I have for them atm

Overall I'm very satisfied with the pass though

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I can't wait to play on Garech mach, that stage looks incredible.

So, now that most fan theories have been shown to be pointless and wrong, isn't speculation pretty much just saying what characters you want in the game?
At least until we notice any silly pattern halfway through season 2.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
By the way, I find it weird that we will get 6 characters in basically 2 years, where we just got 5 in one year. Maybe the development team is working on other thing (Game modes? Echo fighters?)

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I am certain once Byleth is released people are going to be more receptive to the character after playing them.
I thought the same. I mean, it's what happened with characters like Hero and Terry.

By the way, I find it weird that we will get 6 characters in basically 2 years, where we just got 5 in one year. Maybe the development team is working on other thing (Game modes? Echo fighters?)
I think it's just that from now on the development team is smaller.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
the game modes thing could be interesting... what if... World of Light downloadable extension???

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
what if the absolute mad lad Sakurai does go to 100 characters AND new game modes on top of it??

lads... imma be 37 when this is all finished...

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Realistically it's probably that the development team is slowly splitting off to work on other projects or that season 2 has a lower budget than season 1 both due to the games age.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Likely a smaller team for S2 and/or Sakurai is possibly in pre-production for his next project and doesn't have the same amount of time to commit as he did with S1.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm assuming the development team is slowly getting disbanded as more staff are moving on to work on other projects. By the time the last fighter releases Smash Ultimate would be 3 years old then.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Im really vibin with Travis right now.
The question is, does Sakurai likes No More Heroes?
If so, I think he's in.

Krankees

Smash Ace
I have to wonder what everyone is going to do for the next 3 or so months until FP6 is revealed lol
Plenty of games are coming out in the span of the next few months. Kakarot is coming tonight and P5R is finally getting released to west in two months. FF7 Remake just looks beautiful.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Inkling not getting a male amiibo makes sense because there's already Splatoon series male amiibos. And since female Byleth is getting so much spotlight, I'd say it's pretty likely she'll get an amiibo.
I hope so..
Looking at the footage again, it looks like you might actually be right! She seems to hold her arm lower than the male variant, and raise it again when she does any of her idle poses. I thought it was just them being out of sync but to my knowledge male Byleth never actually lowered his arm like the female variant. I wonder if that means small changes are going to start being allowed so long as they don't change any hitboxes.

EDIT: If they do, I hope Bowser Jr. gets this treatment later on; The Koopalings kinda stop him from showing all of the facets of his personality.
Yeah, she only goes into the over shoulder pose male has briefly after movement and then snaps into her unique pose.

Last edited:

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
No, All I'm saying is that Doomguy is going to be in Smash. That's my fan theory backed up by 4,000 of my posts on Smashboards and 70 Blocked Content videos.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I have to wonder what everyone is going to do for the next 3 or so months until FP6 is revealed lol
School, work, and other games like I am getting TMS tomorrow, then March has Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Doom Eternal, and Persona 5 The Royal, and April has FF7 Remake to keep more then occupied.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's pretty much always been that way. Say what you want and make a case for why it's possible.

I can't wait to play on Garech mach, that stage looks incredible.
While I do think it's the most boring of the DLC stages, I have to admit; Fire Emblem: Three Houses's artstyle was really done justice here. The background is beautiful. I wonder if they actually used the original map as a base for the stage. I'd imagine that if they did they altered it severely considering they didn't reuse any of the character models.

FF7 Remake just looks beautiful.
I wants it! Why it not on Switch?!?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Smaller team is one thing as other people said, but it also needs to be noted that the December 31, 2021 date is just the latest the content will all be available, it might very well be earlier. Like, it's such a standard placeholder date, all it really tells us is that development will likely go on well into 2021, but I doubt it'll be the full 2 years.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Going by one game I month I've a few things to look forward to. FF7 Remake, Animal Crossing. Non gaming things like Re;Zero Season 2, No Time to Die and more.

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Gonna need a source on that one.
You can tell just by looking at them. Like I said they aren't exactly the same, but I can tell how they've been modified slightly like in the hands area. In Nintendo's defense I guess there is only so many ways you can pull a bow string. Wouldn't make much sense to start from scratch.

blybowdraw.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom