• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Because Heaven forbid a popular first party franchise be represented.

Not like Nintendo's two biggest cash cows, Mario and Pokemon have a lot of fighters, even some you could consider unnecessary :ultincineroar::ultpiranha:
Pretty much. I love Geno as much as the next guy, but he's another Mario character at the end of the day.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I kinda wonder whether that bit with Sakurai talking about how big of an effort they made to not have the character leak was also recorded 2 months ago, if it was then he must have been incredibly confident in their ability to keep it under wraps.
There's also how Terry only leaked because of Nintendo ****ing up themselves, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we ended up not getting anymore leaks, especially as development has clearly slown down

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So, now for the real important questions.

When do we think is the general Direct going to happen, and when will they announce FP6? Before, at, or after E3?

Mr. Game + Watch

Smash Apprentice
I know my post got lost in the thread but let me clarify what I was trying to say because dumb me forgot to look over it to make sure I typed everything correctly so here is the correct edited version
Here is my take took this idea from aaronitmar but it is a little different from what he said. I wish they would have showed another character or something (sorta what aaronitmar said). While I think fire emblem shouldn’t have gotten another character I was also kind not as mad as I thought I would be. Also cup head costume is pretty cool. I think it is fine that people show that they didn’t like it by disliking it but they should not be disliking the other fire emblem dlc trailer for three houses. Also y do some of u act like the smash fan base is just some super toxic fan base all fan bases have the bad parts in them.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
So... I'm starting to see memes about the Cuphead costume being Sans 2.0, mainly in regards to stealing the thunder from a playable character.

Is that really the case, or is it just a minority view?

When do we think is the general Direct going to happen, and when will they announce FP6? Before, at, or after E3?
Likely February, we'll see a general Direct with the Fighter 6 announcement.

Last edited:

whitesnake

Smash Apprentice
Why not just rename the game Mario Smash and get rid of all the other characters? 90s platformer mascots galore...
That would be a lot more logical since Mario is 100x more popular than any FE character and has been nintentdo’s flagship mascot for several decades

PhantomShab

Smash Lord

Not like Nintendo's two biggest cash cows, Mario and Pokemon have a lot of fighters, even some you could consider unnecessary :ultincineroar::ultpiranha:

I don't mean to be so sassy, but I still just genuinely don't understand why people hate Fire Emblem so much when these other two very popular series also have over-representation.
I think Plant and Pokemon shilling is lame too. Sassyness wasted I guess.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

I don't mean to be so sassy, but I still just genuinely don't understand why people hate Fire Emblem so much when these other two very popular series also have over-representation.
I mean, Mario is practically the video game franchise, and Pokémon is a worldwide phenomenon that streches far beyond video games (most profitable media franchise in the world I think?), there is no such thing as over-representation when it comes to those two, because they're just that much bigger than the rest. I like Fire Emblem, but let's not pretend it even begins to compare to those two, the only other franchise that's even close to doing so is Zelda.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

At E3, again, dev time has clearly slowed down as the estimated time of the final pass character's release is about 10 months more than the estimated time to finish the first past

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I was saving this for another post, but let me just bring this up: back when the first pass was announced, did anyone think the DLC would only be finished a month before the deadline? Because these six guys are schedule to be done before December next year, and if history repeats itself, then expect them to move at the pace of a tortoise.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

only gonna be using fair, bair, fsmash, and side b
hey ****ers worlds best dimitri main here

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
So... I'm starting to see memes about the Cuphead costume being Sans 2.0, mainly in regards to stealing the thunder from a playable character.

Likely February, we'll see a general Direct with the Fighter 6 announcement.
It's probably a minority view....

but at least in my case I'm definitely more excited for the Cuphead mii costume and the Garrag Mach Monastery stage than I am for Byleth themselves.

D

Deleted member

I mention Rosalina because she only has one or two major appearances, only three if you count her appearance in SMG2, and more if you count the spinoffs, which then we could count Hyrule Warriors for Skull Kid and others.

I can understand why Sakurai focuses on the triforce-wielders, but it is a bit annoying how people ignore that Zelda has a rotating cast as well and downplay people’s wants while ignoring other series in similar situations. I don’t even care how many characters FE or any other series gets; heck, I’m asking for Geno and Gengar, and I’m patient, I just don’t get why fans downplay Zelda characters.
I understand wanting certain characters but a lot of these comparisons seem really reaching especially since the way series manage characters is quite different from one another. Rosalina sucks as an example as the closest character to her in prominence within Zelda would be most likely Impa.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
>Byleth's first alt color is Dimitri
>Byleth's first stage transition is Dimitri
>Byleth's first weapon shown off is Dimitri's
>Byleth uses Dimitri's spear for 4 attacks as opposed to Edelgard's 3 and Claude's 2.
>Byleth shows up on the banner gently caressing Dimitri's spear.
DIMITRI WIN.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So now that we know there will be a second pass with six characters, what are your initial predictions and hopes.

Predictions:
  • Ryu
  • Geno
  • Steve
  • Bandanna Waddle Dee
  • I dunno. Kiryu or somethin'
  • Still don't know. Um...Frogger. I guess.
Hopes (or in this case, characters I like before they'd announce them):
  • Amaterasu
  • Bandanna Waddle Dee
  • Firebrand
  • Lloyd
  • Jin (No not the one from Tekken)
  • Uh...I dunno. Freddy or something.
Clearly I have the greatest of tastes. (Though really I just can't think of 6 characters I'd actively want.)

Real Talk though: A Freddy Fazbear suit would be the funnies Mii Costume ever due to the implications.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
I mean, Mario is practically the video game franchise, and Pokémon is a worldwide phenomenon that streches far beyond video games (most profitable media franchise in the world I think?), there is no such thing as over-representation when it comes to those two, because they're just that much bigger than the rest. I like Fire Emblem, but let's not pretend it even begins to compare to those two, the only other franchise that's even close to doing so is Zelda.
that's because there's only one good Zelda game

But honestly I'd arguing that there isn't exactly a revolving cast of main characters in Zelda, it's always focused on the big three, and Shiek is about the only exception.

Saelind Genesis

Smash Apprentice
I kinda wonder whether that bit with Sakurai talking about how big of an effort they made to not have the character leak was also recorded 2 months ago, if it was then he must have been incredibly confident in their ability to keep it under wraps.
Why wouldn't he be? This was not E3 or a Direct. Not even a third party character. Not a lot of people should have been involved in it

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
So now that we know there will be a second pass with six characters, what are your initial predictions and hopes.

Predictions:
  • Ryu
  • Geno
  • Steve
  • Bandanna Waddle Dee
  • Amaterasu
  • Bandanna Waddle Dee
  • Firebrand
  • Lloyd
Clearly I have the greatest of tastes. (Though really I just can't think of 6 characters I'd actively want.)

Real Talk though: A Freddy Fazbear suit would be the funnies Mii Costume ever due to the implications.
Mojang already said no to Steve being in Smash, if we get another Microsoft rep it will most likely be Master Chief

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think among the 6 we will see is Rex and Gen 8 Starter Pokemon.
I'm unsure about Rex, it's odd that Byleth was added when Rex was otherwise dubbed too recent, but he does still have a pretty decent chance.

I doubt we'll see a Gen 8 Pokémon though, that so many people are predicting it now feels kinda reactionary to Byleth's reveal. I think the timing of the Sw/Sh, Resident Evil and Astral Chain Spirit Boards are a pretty strong indication that they probably haven't been picked for FP2, just like how being a base game Spirit was an indication that the character wasn't going to be in FP1.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Here's an analogy: FE is the employee that keeps getting promoted much more often, when it has many co-workers that perform at the same level and are perfectly qualified to receive promotions themselves: Kirby, DK, Xenoblade (more or less). Metroid, up until recently. Now it's alright.

Mario, Zelda (and Pokemon) are just higher level employees based on their performances within the company, so they have higher "salaries".

It's not a genuine hatred of the employee. It's a resentment of the way one always gets the bonus when they all, frankly, perform around the same level. It's not that that one employee isn't deserving, it's that others are as well, so just focusing on one speaks to a perceived inequality among what are, roughly, equals.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Rex is absolutely more dead than he already was. The Mii costume was an active choice post XC2's launch and they just threw it in with the Fighter's Pass that had Byleth from a game a year and a half later on.

Rex is the only character I feel completely confident in saying is 100% dead for Ultimate now.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

Minority view from a vocal minority that has made it their mission to make everyone believe the narrative is 'Fiah Umbum bad, swerd bad, SAKURAI IS BIG MEANIE".

Most people are actually happy or at least neutral, lol.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

Predictions:
  • Ryu
  • Geno
  • Steve
  • Bandanna Waddle Dee
  • Amaterasu
  • Bandanna Waddle Dee
  • Firebrand
  • Lloyd

1.- Heihachi Mishima (absent Mii costumes)
2.- Ezio Auditore da Firenze (Altair copyright shenanigans)
3.- Sora (hype inducement)
4.- Geno (assuming the two SMRPG costumes don't have any effect on his chances)
5.- Cinderace/Intelleon/Rillaboom (assuming the schedule didn't screw them over like Rex)
6.- Dante (because yes)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Rex is absolutely more dead than he already was. The Mii costume was an active choice post XC2's launch and they just threw it in with the Fighter's Pass that had Byleth from a game a year and a half later on.

Rex is the only character I feel completely confident in saying is 100% dead for Ultimate now.
I'm inclined to agree. It was probably a choice of one or the other.
EDIT: And perhaps a third with Pokémon, but I don't think it stood a chance considering Incineroar had just been revealed.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

E3 seems like the safest bet... Nintendo does things at their own pace regardless of other events... except for E3. My bet is that we'll get the first two reveals for S2 there.

>Byleth's first alt color is Dimitri
>Byleth's first stage transition is Dimitri
>Byleth's first weapon shown off is Dimitri's
>Byleth uses Dimitri's spear for 4 attacks as opposed to Edelgard's 3 and Claude's 2.
>Byleth shows up on the banner gently caressing Dimitri's spear.
I swear I read your post as "Dimitri's first Dimitri is Dimitri".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom