• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
We'll see what page 1939 tells us (I don't know if that's the right page but damn we moved like 100+ pages in a span of 24 hours)
It's not that. But even if it was, I'm pretty sure it'd be easier to tell who was an ass about that, because almost everyone just talked about how Astral Chain got doomed.

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
So now that we know there will be a second pass with six characters, what are your initial predictions and hopes.

Predictions:
  • Ryu
  • Geno
  • Steve
  • Bandanna Waddle Dee
  • I dunno. Kiryu or somethin'
  • Still don't know. Um...Frogger. I guess.
Hopes (or in this case, characters I like before they'd announce them):
  • Amaterasu
  • Bandanna Waddle Dee
  • Firebrand
  • Lloyd
  • Jin (No not the one from Tekken)
  • Uh...I dunno. Freddy or something.
Clearly I have the greatest of tastes. (Though really I just can't think of 6 characters I'd actively want.)

Real Talk though: A Freddy Fazbear suit would be the funnies Mii Costume ever due to the implications.
Here's my prediction.
1. 2B
2. Nero/Dante
3. Phoenix Wright/Noctis
4. Tracer/Morrigan Aensland
5. Chun-Li/Sakura/Cammy
6. Master Chief/Sora

Sakurai mentioned on twitter that the 6th fighter will take a while so that's why I put those two as the sixth

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I said this before, but I would say any "promotion" from things like ATs/Spirits/Costumes incredibly unlikely at this point. If you're in the base game, you're out. So RIP to all those fans who wanted promotions.

Also, I'm curious to see if y'all think Cacomallow is still alive? To me, Byleth as FP 5 sealed the deal and killed any chance of Cacomallow being remotely true. The further along we go, the less likely those costumes get.
And yet yourself included your still thinking genos still has a shot

(Ofcoarse is till think he’s got a chance myself though)

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I outright laughed my ass off when Corrin was shown and when Shambhala started playing I chuckled so nah, I get ya.
"Man, there is so many Marths in this game. Marth, Red Marth, Scruffy Marth, Magic Marth, Girl Marth, Dragon Marth, Dad Marth and now Green Marth. Oh, Sakurai!" *cue canned laughter*

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
The implication that in some way Fire Emblem doesn't deserve it's success is irritating to me. This series clawed its way back from near death and has been selling great for years now, how in the world does it not deserve it? sure there's pedigree to DK and Metroid, but none of them have seen as meteoric a rise as Fire Emblem has as a series.
Many franchises overcame hardships to be where they are now, this doesn't make Fire Emblem any more special from the rest. Xenoblade had to be campaigned by fans to be released for the West and it's now a popular IP that sells millions.

Speaking of Xenoblade, funnily enough this is the second time where a Xenoblade character got ignored as DLC in favor of a Fire Emblem character. The first time was back in Smash 4 when Sakurai wanted a character from a new Nintendo game and FE: Fates and Xenoblade Chronicles X released in a short interval between each other, Sakurai chose Corrin in the end. The second time is here when Rex was given a participation trophy in the form of a Mii costume for being late for Smash while Byleth was planned a year in advance. Just a funny coincidence I noticed.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think Byleth opened the door to pretty much everyone, even those who already have roles in Smash.
Don't we say the like about everyone? lol

Clearly we don't know what "everyone" truly means.

Sothis is my new favorite FE character for this line alone:
That whole scene is comedy gold.
Byleth: *becomes female*
Sothis: "Clever!"

Like. What? lol

Yeah that's pretty dumb. Why would they add a secondary anime character before Goku?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Since we can now have characters from series already in smash I'm going to write a wishlist for Fighter pass 2 with this in mind:

1: Sora, my most wanted
2: Grovyle, To have some kind of Pokemon spin off representation
3: Reiji, a Character similar to Pacman in smash due to being the protagonist of a Namco crossover series this making it easy for him to encompass more recent Namco IP's like how Pacman encompasses retro IP's, plus an out there pick.
4: Layton, my other most wanted
5: Mighty, Because Sonic mania made him relevant again and it's an easy non echo/clone due to sharing similar body structure to Sonic and frankly it would be funny to have him in because nobody expects it. On top of all of this I just want more Sonic content in the game, i feel like the series is underutilized
6: Rex, let the boy be in already.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think Byleth opened the door to pretty much everyone, even those who already have roles in Smash.

For now, I still think characters have a chance to be promoted. Nothing in this pass would've suggested otherwise since everything was finalized before Ultimate even launched. The second pass didn't exist yet, and Byleth would've been the last character.
What do you mean "Even those who already have roles in Smash" literally no characters who already had roles got anything beyond a mii costume at best

Droodle

Smash Lord

(Ofcoarse is till think he’s got a chance myself though)
No, no. I want Geno to get in don't get me wrong; but I don't really think he's all that likely. Other then a missing costume he really doesn't have much backing him up.

But then again, I want like 30 different characters in (including Byleth) so if Geno doesn't get in; I wouldn't be too upset.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Really wish in Fighter Pass 2 they add echoes instead of just more mii costumes.

Also really hope Fighter Pass 2 adds the following things that I've posted about wanting before:

1) Boss Rush
2) Co-Op World of Light
3) Smash Run with multiple stages.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Really wish in Fighter Pass 2 they add echoes instead of just more mii costumes.

Also really hope Fighter Pass 2 adds the following things that I've posted about wanting before:

1) Boss Rush
2) Co-Op World of Light
The issue with that is that echoes are a lot more labor intensive than costumes. You don't balance costumes or give them classic mode routes.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

1) Boss Rush
2) Co-Op World of Light
I thought world of light already had coop?

D

Deleted member

How is she like Impa? Impa reoccurs a lot, sometimes as an old lady, while Rosalina is only in three mainline games, two of them being secrets, and only one of them being playable. SMG1 was her only major role aside from her secret playable appearance in 3D World. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, and Toad/the colored Toads are normally the only reoccurring characters aside from Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings sometimes appearing in the 2D platformers. The rest of her appearances are the sports, kart and party games; which, while yes are very important for the Mario franchise, they may as well count other spinoffs if they count those, especially Zelda with it being another of their top franchises. Heck, if Hyrule Warriors doesn’t count, I don’t see anyone going against the idea of Impa using a huge sword in Smash.

Maybe a better comparison would’ve been Daisy? She’s only in one mainline game.

I’m not complaining about Sakurai not adding more Zelda characters, I’m just tired of people trying to downplay them with these arguments that can be used for other series’ characters in similar situations, and honestly I’m tired of any argument for why a videogame character likely can’t be in a videogame crossover as if we’re all in Sakurai’s mind. I don’t think the characters are likely, either, but it’s like everyone just downplays them and tries to hammer in a potential “why” whenever they’re mentioned, a “why” that fits others already in Smash.
And here is my problem with your original argument, like it or not every franchise manages their characters differently in regards to prominence, playable appearances, roles and so on.

I said the closest to Impa due to their appearances since introduction but is also a faulty comparison, just as the comparison to Skull Kid to Rosalina due to Rosa being used way more.

This perception along with other factors like timing can make some characters like Skull Kid or Midna being passed on.

I like a lot of the Zelda characters and would love if some get in the game, but I can see why some are passed on. You're free to support them, but frankly faulty comparisons really don't help your argument.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
What do you mean "Even those who already have roles in Smash" literally no characters who already had roles got anything beyond a mii costume at best
Like I keep saying, every DLC character we've gotten so far was decided before Ultimate was even released.

The second pass didn't even exist yet, so how could Sakurai have said, "Let's not make X an AT/Spirit because we're adding them in the second pass." DLC Spirits are a little harder to predict because we don't know when the characters in the second pass were finalized, but seeing how virtually every new first-party game that has a realistic shot of getting a character already has Spirits, I think it's worth keeping them in the running for now.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
>Byleth's first alt color is Dimitri
>Byleth's first stage transition is Dimitri
>Byleth's first weapon shown off is Dimitri's
>Byleth uses Dimitri's spear for 4 attacks as opposed to Edelgard's 3 and Claude's 2.
>Byleth shows up on the banner gently caressing Dimitri's spear.

DIMITRI WIN.
And still, no one is next to Daisy, bumping hips. *Shantae for Smash intensifies*
So now that we know there will be a second pass with six characters, what are your initial predictions and hopes.

Predictions:
  • Ryu
  • Geno
  • Steve
  • Bandanna Waddle Dee
  • Amaterasu
  • Bandanna Waddle Dee
  • Firebrand
  • Lloyd
Clearly I have the greatest of tastes. (Though really I just can't think of 6 characters I'd actively want.)

Real Talk though: A Freddy Fazbear suit would be the funnies Mii Costume ever due to the implications.
Predictions:
Ryu
Dante
Sora
Sakura
Travis
Geno

Hopes:
Amaterasu
Elma
Sora
Sakura
Kat (Gravity Rush)
KOS-MOS

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So, an announcement at E3, huh?

Alongside other games also with an announcement, yeah?

imagu.gif

Let's go boys.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
And still, no one is next to Daisy, bumping hips. *Shantae for Smash intensifies*

Predictions:
Ryu
Dante
Sora
Sakura
Travis
Geno

Hopes:
Amaterasu
Elma
Sora
Sakura
Kat (Gravity Rush)
KOS-MOS
Ooh! I should have put Elma on my favored characters list instead of one of my throwaway picks.

Byleth didn't open the door to ****
Eh. First parties seem a bit more likely as dumb as that sounds.

Rikarte

Smash Ace

Predictions:
  • Ryu
  • Geno
  • Steve
  • Bandanna Waddle Dee
  • Amaterasu
  • Bandanna Waddle Dee
  • Firebrand
  • Lloyd

Tried to make a realistic wishlist:
  1. 2B (modern gaming icon, similar to Joker; could bring the missing SE costumes with her)
  2. Monster Hunter (Byleth proves that already represented franchises have a chance and MH has a suspiciously low amount of content in this game)
  3. Ryu Hayabusa (Tecmo rep - company played a huge role in making Three Houses)
  4. Reimu (we just got another indie costume so we might actually get a full character one day and I REALLY WANT HER OKAY)
  5. Crash (one of the few western characters that actually made a huge splash in Japan)
  6. Sora (very highly requested, would be an absolutely crazy way to finish off the DLC period of this game)

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
The only thing Byleth explicitly opened was Nintendo characters. Stuff like spirits and ATs are up in the air. But as one of the many people who thought the whole pass was gonna be third-party, I think it's not fair to shot them down after this.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Ok guys, I think that's it:

Ultimate Roster2.png

- If the Mii Costumes are real, then Geno and Doomguy are almost certain.
- A Gen 8 Pokémon is a given.
- Rex just didn't make it the first time because of timing issues now absent.
- KOS-MOS is Nanco's character.
- Tracer is a hype character. Other possible hype characters are: Crash, Spyro and Lara Croft.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So I'm dumb and didn't see the "December 31 2021" deadline for Season 2. Two years from now. The pace will probably be really slow. My guess is we'll get three of these at most before 2020 ends. On average, that's one every 4 months instead of the average 2 we got in the first season. Meaning... yeah, there's a small chance the first one might be revealed before E3 for a May launch, but I wouldn't count on it.

Also, all base roster amiibo are officially out, so all that's left are the 11 DLC amiibo. Probably with a few Player 2 ones here and there.

For the curious, a perfectly average launch order from February 2020 to December 2021 would be:
  1. May 2020
  2. September 2020
  3. January 2021
  4. April 2021
  5. August 2021
  6. December 2021
Could have messed up something somewhere, but this is what we're looking at, on average.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ok guys, I think that's it:

View attachment 258087

- If the Mii Costumes are real, then Geno and Doomguy are almost certain.
- A Gen 8 Pokémon is a given.
- Rex just didn't make it the first time because of timing issues now absent.
- KOS-MOS is Nanco's character.
- Tracer is a hype character. Other possible hype characters are: Crash, Spyro and Lara Croft.
oh **** the madman actually put baboom in

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Is it really an immature thing to be disappointed in the reveal/not care about Three Houses? I feel like it's a stereotype that this community has been peddling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom