• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
On the Vergeben/Hitagi claims, all I'm going to say is that the plot thickens.

Anyways getting back on topic, on a scale of 1 to 10, how certain do you guys think that the remaining new characters within the season pass are going to be third party characters?
A solid 10. It's going to happen.
Little Mac’s KO meter is easily the best meter for how simple and organic it is
Hard disagree. Mind explaining why?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
In terms of it all being third parties, I'm feeling like a 9.5 out of 10 here. I'm almost positive of this, but for all we know, Nintendo could surprise us, so I'm keeping the teeniest, tiniest bit of an open mind.

Robdelia

Smash Apprentice
Anything is possible. For all we know Joker could be the only third party pick and the rest could be four different versions of Mario doing the same pose.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Anything is possible. For all we know Joker could be the only third party pick and the rest could be four different versions of Mario doing the same pose.
We better get Dark Metal Vanish Cap Winged Angry Baby Mario Jr. or there will be some ****ing RIOTS, I tells ya what.

D

Deleted member

This just reeks of bull-crap and I'm 99% sure the community is going to get Grinch'd on Erdrick
Musou/Warriors rep here we go!

but seriously, if it turns out Fighters 2 and 3 aren't who people were heavily speculating them to be (2 being an SE rep and 3 being a Microsoft or Western rep), I'd be excited no doubt. That said, I still think a DQ character being in Smash is a safe bet considering its legacy and that it's on the Enix side of things rather than Square's if it matters. It just so happens that someone theorized Erdrick fits the Brave name and got a bunch of traction out of it.

on a scale of 1 to 10, how certain do you guys think that the remaining new characters within the season pass are going to be third party characters?

I'm not going full on 10 since 3 Houses can still bring a handful of content to Smash if they decide to add another Fire Emblem character, not to mention an Astral Chain character is also a possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Vergeben's claims for Erdrick are falling apart at the seams and Hitagi is desperately trying to stay relevant. Vergeben's very own logic of "They can make Erdrick a big deal at E3" flies directly in the face of "Nintendo rearranged the entire DLC schedule just to avoid showing him off at the Game Awards". Why couldn't they just show Erdrick off at the Game Awards and make him a big deal then?
This just reeks of bull-crap and I'm 99% sure the community is going to get Grinch'd on Erdrick
Interesting...
A solid 10. It's going to happen.

Hard disagree. Mind explaining why?
There’s not much you have to pay attention to when it comes to the meter because the bell rings when the KO meter is set. It goes with his boxer aesthetic very well and greatly balanced his character. Because it is only one move it doesn’t feel it complicates his character just gives him an interesting feature.

Of course you don’t have to agree. That’s the beauty of the internet.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'm like 75% sure at this point. A lineup consisting of a Square, Namco, Microsoft, Ubisoft and/or Koei characters feels right, especially since all those companies already have content in the game (or in the case of Microsoft, those data mined Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini spirits).

When it comes to Nintendo, I can't imagine them releasing anything first party unless it's cross promotional for a new game/remaster.
I'd say 9 out of 10 for me. Unless we go from the assumption that Spirits don't deconfirm characters, there are very few first party characters remaining, and honestly, I don't see any of these being a "head turner".

I think Square and Namco are likely, if only because they're the only ones with a single third party character (especially weird on Namco's part, since they're helping make the game). Then again, we might be surprised. Who knows.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the thing about Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini was a series category (like "Super Mario Series", "The Legend of Zelda Series") that appears as a "tag" for Spirits, right? A lot of people are saying that Spirits were datamined, but the only thing revealed in the infodump was the category name, wasn't it?

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the thing about Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini was a series category (like "Super Mario Series", "The Legend of Zelda Series") that appears as a "tag" for Spirits, right? A lot of people are saying that Spirits were datamined, but the only thing revealed in the infodump was the category name, wasn't it?
Sorry that was me being hasty, you're right. Obviously it could mean nothing, but it's interesting to see Rare games mentioned in Smash, especially since Perfect Dark had to be censored in Melee.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
8/10 on all characters being 3rd party. And that’s just because I have a feeling they’ll have some promotional material for a new game by Nintendo. (So, 4 3rd parties, 1 1st party).

On Verge: well at least it’s NEWS, even if it’s potentially bad news for me. Could it really have come to this point that I rather have bad news than no news ?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Sorry that was me being hasty, you're right. Obviously it could mean nothing, but it's interesting to see Rare games mentioned in Smash, especially since Perfect Dark had to be censored in Melee.
Yeah, I was very intrigued by that as a kid. Supposedly, Nintendo owns the japanese names for these two games... could mean something, could mean nothing. On one hand, it might be like the Perfect Dark situation in Melee.

Some people keep saying it was a mistake on Nintendo's part and they thought they owned the copyright, but I find it hard to believe that everyone in a development team of god knows how many people simply forgot they didn't own a trademark. That doesn't sound like something you "just forget".

In fact, do we know if these series categories were removed? They were datamined all the way back in launch, and since Nintendo has omitted other things in the code due to being aware of datamines, they would have removed it, right?

thisjustin2001

Smash Apprentice
there's no way that means nothing, imo

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
For third parties being the entire DLC I'm 9/10 about it.

As for the leaker drama, I just find it hilarious. Who would've thought that someone we knew was multiple people at once?

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
For third parties being the entire DLC I'm 9/10 about it.

As for the leaker drama, I just find it hilarious. Who would've thought that someone we knew was multiple people at once?
In the end, the real twist is that we were all Vergeben all along.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I mean
Oh no ... I'm having flashbacks to the Grinch leak when we found this out and the whole Social Thread was full of people calling each other various numbered. Vergebens...

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I mean

Oh no ... I'm having flashbacks to the Grinch leak when we found this out and the whole Social Thread was full of people calling each other various numbered. Vergebens...
this was a mistake and i regret everything

dezeray112

Smash Hero
To be honest, I'm not even 100% sure if Steve is going to be one of the DLC characters at all.

Anyways, lets imagine that Nintendo/Sakurai confirmed a second season pass (even though it is too soon to say), which characters would you like to see?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
To be honest, I'm not even 100% sure if Steve is going to be one of the DLC characters at all.

Anyways, lets imagine that Nintendo/Sakurai confirmed a second season pass (even though it is too soon to say), which characters would you like to see?
Banjo (if he doesn't make it in this round, which I'm cautiously hopeful for, but not expecting at all) and Geno. That's all I want. If we get AT promotions (highly doubtful, IMO), then Shadow the Hedgehog as a semi-clone.

They're the only three most wanteds I have at this point. I have other characters I like and support, but that is my personal never ever trifecta that I'd kill to see in Smash (or, in the case of Banjo and Geno, revived at all).

Robdelia

Smash Apprentice

Waluigi, Rex/Pyra, and Isaac. All three of those characters on a 2nd DLC pass would be great, and they either get in that way or on the next game. Waluigi is the next Ridley (fan-favorite character meme'd into the game, also purple), Rex/Pyra is the next Inkling if they don't get in Ult (popular character simply too recent to make the cut but one of the first revealed newcomers for next game), and Isaac has more going for him than Little Mac had in Brawl and K Rool in 4.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Vergeben was Xehanort?
See, why do people keep coming up with these "multiple people using one account" thing? Sometimes the easiest explanation is the best one. Maybe someone has finally killed both his Heartless and Nobody, so they went back to being the original Vergeben? Hell, maybe he became a leaker because there was some time travel involved?

...So. How many Smash games until they close this saga? I hope they're all for Nintendo systems...

Alright, in all seriosness, about a second fighter's pass... in my opinion it's possible, but unlikely. I mean, I'd love to, but Nintendo seems to either be going all in with downloadable content (Splatoon and such) or they support it for a few months and then let go. Plus, if Sakurai doesn't like this method... they might end it with just this one. If we did get another, I would very much like to see some first party characters who are now Spirits. Like, say, Dixie, Bandanna Dee and such... as unlikely as I think that is.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

If a second pass is confirmed then I hope there are assist trophy promotions. Waluigi/Ashley/Zero/Alucard are my top 4 AT that I want to see playable.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
See, why do people keep coming up with these "multiple people using one account" thing? Sometimes the easiest explanation is the best one. Maybe someone has finally killed both his Heartless and Nobody, so they went back to being the original Vergeben? Hell, maybe he became a leaker because there was some time travel involved?

...So. How many Smash games until they close this saga? I hope they're all for Nintendo systems...

Alright, in all seriosness, about a second fighter's pass... in my opinion it's possible, but unlikely. I mean, I'd love to, but Nintendo seems to either be going all in with downloadable content (Splatoon and such) or they support it for a few months and then let go. Plus, if Sakurai doesn't like this method... they might end it with just this one. If we did get another, I would very much like to see some first party characters who are now Spirits. Like, say, Dixie, Bandanna Dee and such... as unlikely as I think that is.
Yeah, I honestly think that, if we get more DLC, it'll be individual fighters, if anything at all. Given the fact that he verbalized that he dislikes season passes, I don't think he'll let Nintendo shoehorn another one into his plans.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Yet still mentioned in the credits lol
I think Square and Namco are likely, if only because they're the only ones with a single third party character (especially weird on Namco's part, since they're helping make the game). Then again, we might be surprised. Who knows.
Maybe Square doesn't care enough to give more content to Smash outside of Mario RPG references and Namco still doesn't have any viable representatives, Tekken included, like in Smash 4?
On Verge: well at least it’s NEWS, even if it’s potentially bad news for me. Could it really have come to this point that I rather have bad news than no news ?
It's like that quote of Grampa Simpson "Hot diggety! I don't care if it's bad news!"
In fact, do we know if these series categories were removed? They were datamined all the way back in launch, and since Nintendo has omitted other things in the code due to being aware of datamines, they would have removed it, right?
I hear they're part of the cartridge game so they essentially can't be removed.
The real Vergeben was the friendship we made along the way...
Characters that aren't eligible for this Fighter's Pass I guess? Is Rhythm Heaven one of those? Cause I'd like a character from that assuming they don't have a problem with inputting a rhythm-type mechanic.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I can say with some confidence that Erdrick is probably going to be a DLC newcomer.

After that? I'd be totally down for Resident Evil getting in with Leon or Jill. Throw them in with a moveset that requires you to manage ammo with their pistol, and have to reload once it's emptied, or even add in an herb move that can only be used once per stock to replenish health? Boom.

I'd also love to see Lloyd Irving, but I could absolutely see Heihachi get a second look, or the dark horse pick of Dark Souls.

Other than that, I really don't know.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Probably mentioned already, but all the speculation and talk of Erdrick and a Microsoft character will end up being funny if a Square-Enix character that is neither any of "The Seven Squares" (Erdrick, Geno, Sephiroth, Chrono, Sora, Slime, Luminary) gets in and there is no Microsoft character announced at all. I can already picture the reactions on this site and elsewhere.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Probably mentioned already, but all the speculation and talk of Erdrick and a Microsoft character will end up being funny if a Square-Enix character that is neither any of "The Seven Squares" (Erdrick, Geno, Sephiroth, Chrono, Sora, Slime, Luminary) gets in and there is no Microsoft character announced at all. I can already picture the reactions on this site and elsewhere.
Nintendo: Hey, if you ASSUMED there'd be a Microsoft character, that's your own fault! You also assumed there was gonna be a Persona 5 port, and look what happened!

I mean Microsoft x Nintendo stuff came out last year w/ Minecraft cross play, so maybe there could have been the opportunity for discussion while they were picking the Fighter's Pass characters? Tho I wonder, if it was Nintendo of Japan specifically that picked the characters...

Maybe Tomb Raider for Square character then I guess?

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Since Erdrick is most likely happening that would be our second JRPG rep in the DLC, anyone think this might put down the chances for another character like Lloyd Irving which a lot of people seem to be predicting?

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Having played "Yakuza 0", I wonder how people think of a "Yakuza" rep? Note that the series got a release on the Wii U that was Japan-only.

Nintendo: Hey, if you ASSUMED there'd be a Microsoft character, that's your own fault! You also assumed there was gonna be a Persona 5 port, and look what happened!

I mean Microsoft x Nintendo stuff came out last year w/ Minecraft cross play, so maybe there could have been the opportunity for discussion while they were picking the Fighter's Pass characters? Tho I wonder, if it was Nintendo of Japan specifically that picked the characters...

Maybe Tomb Raider for Square character then I guess?
Honestly, if there was one Square character that would garner similar reaction to Joker's initial reveal, which would require the character to be A.) new or recent, B.) hail from a international best-selling videogame made in Japan, C.) not considered or associated with Nintendo platforms, D.) had low chances of getting in prior to being revealed, E.) Sakurai holding the game in high regard or talking about the game (mentioning it in his Famitsu column), and F.) whose reveal shakes up speculation hard....

... That character would be NieR: Automata's 2B. Though Square-Enix producer Yosuke Saito, who produces both the Dragon Quest games and the Drakengard/Nier games, shot down the possibility back in a December video interview where he stated Nier wasn't invited for Smash.

Whether he is lying or not is not known (as he was never asked about a potential Dragon Quest character in the same interview), and he is a third-party figure to pay attention to since he would be involved with Erdrick's potential arrival in Smash due to his involvement in Dragon Quest.

Since Erdrick is most likely happening that would be our second JRPG rep in the DLC, anyone think this might put down the chances for another character like Lloyd Irving which a lot of people seem to be predicting?
Who knows? Maybe yes, maybe not.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I am not 100% sure that Erdrick and Steve are getting in. Vergeben and Hitagi might end up being completely wrong.

andree123

Smash Ace
Lloyd's chances of being part of the fighters pass will not be affected by Erdrick, because the Tales franchise is the only Namco franchise to be completely cut in smash ultimate which caused speculation that Tales series would return with a DLC fighter in smash ultimate.

Still expecting Lloyd to be teased in a August direct.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Lloyd's chances of being part of the fighters pass will not be affected by Erdrick, because the Tales franchise is the only Namco franchise to be completely cut in smash ultimate which caused speculation that Tales series would return with a DLC fighter in smash ultimate.

Still expecting Lloyd to be teased in a August direct.
I do think Lloyd has a good shot but overall I'm unsure on a Bandai Namco character making it into the pass and I have a gut feeling that 3 JRPg protags is too much but if he does get in I won't be surprised.

It's just leakers, which could be wrong, and a codename and some stats that could suit a whole bunch of characters.
I mean stuff outside of that.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
You're completely right but I think there is enough things currently to support their inclusion.
Like that one Minecraft Discord guy who was like "Steve aint gonna Smash" and then seemingly backpedalled his statements :o

yeah three JRPG protags would be quite disappointing to me, unless the two others happened to both be characters I really wanted...

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Just don't assume that any character is guaranteed to get in. We might get a Joker-esque surprise reveal.
I do think Lloyd has a good shot but overall I'm unsure on a Bandai Namco character making it into the pass and I have a gut feeling that 3 JRPg protags is too much but if he does get in I won't be surprised.
Assuming that the Mii Costume theory is real, then that means that Lloyd will probably be back as a Mii Fighter costume, disconfirming him.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128

Probably the characters that couldn't make it on the current fighters pass either because they came out after DLC was finalized or because the IP holders were never approached at the time. I'm getting the feeling that Dante is on that list but hopefully I'm wrong.

Also, I have no doubt there will be a second pass because it wouldn't make much sense to only stop at one pass only a year into Ultimate's lifespan (I think 4 only had 1 year of DLC because it was on a failed system and the Switch was coming out in a year anyways so no point working on a soon to be discontinued system)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
As said a few times. I still stand out on my predictions.

72: Erdrick - June/E3; Releases August
73: Banjo-Kazooie (Alternatively Crash Bandicoot) - June/E3; Releases August
74: Lloyd Irving - August/EVO; Releases December
75: Jill Valentine - December/VGA; Releases February 2020

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom