• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
God watching reactions to Cloud was terrible. Yeah I don't even recognize the iconic intro song to the game but I'm going to freak out and scream like a chimp all the same like I'm the biggest FFVII fan in existence.
RIP Etika.

The people with Galaxy Brains were the ones that figured it was Banjo before the jiggy flew by.

They conveniently had all three of the playable Rare characters sitting together...
Yeah, but they were also all DK characters, so the more logical assumption is that it's a new DK character.

Alright but who's the monster that gave Earthbound Beginnings a 6/10
Real talk: Mother 1 has a LOT of issues.

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215
Actually yes, but not because of that statement. As far as I'm concerned Fire Emblem: Three Houses is the only Nintendo game they would be able to pull characters from (as characters like Bandanna Waddle Dee aren't exactly in the public eye at the moment). Considering how much the majority of Super Smash Bros. fans hate how many Fire Emblem characters there are I don't think Byleth or Edelgaurd would be a good DLC pick.

Though I would like to see Byleth and/or the three lords in a Smash game at some point.
I feel like the backlash to Corrin (and FE characters as a whole) really hurts a 3H rep's chances. It's a shame because 3H's really deserves a rep compared to Fates which is just an okay FE game imo. I still hope nintendo rep DLC will happen. It would be great to get a pass that gives older requested nintendo characters and some newer ones.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
It's weird that Smash speculation has reached the point where people can legitimately believe that there's no more first-party reps coming.

Remember when Sonic in Brawl was the most mind-blowing, "I thought it would never happen" kinda ****? Now third-parties are just the norm. They're what we expect at this point.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Well at the time your only evidence was a character and Reggie's nonstatement. Now there really aren't any more 1st party candidates so uh...have fun being right I guess.
Shuntaro Furukawa's view on Smash and Sakurai's desire to make more collaborations pointed out to the third-party approach as well.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It's weird that Smash speculation has reached the point where people can legitimately believe that there's no more first-party reps coming.

Remember when Sonic in Brawl was the most mind-blowing, "I thought it would never happen" kinda ****? Now third-parties are just the norm. They're what we expect at this point.
I don't like this, as you can clearly tell.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Especially since we still had people who wanted to get rid of all of the 3rd party characters in the last speculation cycle.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You guys realize that licensing costs happen regardless of the form they come in, right?

They had to license Resident Evil just for spirits. Everything, if it comes from somebody else, has to be licensed.

Also, this stuff about “costs of licensing being an issue” ima need some proof of that being a problem before I take that as a serious reason to assume it will affect character selection.

Droodle

Smash Lord
One of the big reasons I'm reluctant to buy a new first party rep is because I don't think we're going to get any promotions at all, including fan-favorites like Geno, Isaac, Waluigi, Rex/Pyra, Bandana Dee, etc.

The reason is simply promoting one of these to a newcomer would give a TON of characters/fanbases false hope. Think Wolf in Smash 4 but worse. I don't think Nintendo will want to bother with that, and it's much safer to stick to new 3rd party franchises for the next set of DLC characters.

D

Deleted member

It got us BK and Persona. I hope it doesn't stop here.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Theres still room for first party characters but they will probably be the minority for the DLC overall. I still hope Akira Howard gets in.
Also, all the people that seem like they are actually physically dying for a Direct should check their backlogs to pass time. Right now Im playing Yakuza 0 and im liking it a lot.

Edit I literally just saw the Astral Chain spirit tweet well ****

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
In any case, Akira would've been a neat addition, but also RIP to what would've been some supporting content in an aesthetic not really represented by any other series so far.

Of course someone named N3ON would've jumped at all that cyberpunk.

But the series seems to have been a commercial success, so the door is at least open going forward, which is more than you can say about a lot of Platinum IP. :/

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
well that was unexpected.
R.I.P Astral Chain

ngl this is making me a bit nervous for the future. If they deconfirmed Astral Chain and something as big as Resident Evil, other popular games and series may get Thanos snapped as well. At the very least, it's nice to see these games represented in the game at all.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
You know at this point I want to know who is gonna be the first one after FP5 more then who is FP5 itself as that one should give us a good idea of what direction they are going with the rest of them, just like Joker and the current pass.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that Akira could get in Smash 6 if Astral Chain becomes as big as Splatoon is.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
A post on Gamefaqs lamented DLC Spirits from unrepped franchises not having any new music added with them. And now it makes me sad we won't get music from Astral Chain, Resident Evil, Daemon, and Astral Chain.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Y i k e s, I was really thinking Astral Chain had the best chance of any first party to hit playable status.

That brings the “new Nintendo games without spirits” down to Three Houses, Luigi’s Mansion 3, and Ring Fit Adventure, so that’s... something.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
A post on Gamefaqs lamented DLC Spirits from unrepped franchises not having any new music added with them. And now it makes me sad we won't get music from Astral Chain, Resident Evil, Daemon, and Astral Chain.
You said Astral Chain twice there friendo

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Astral Chain is getting spirits because 2B is the Platinum representative, right? Right?

NGL I can really, really emphasize with Resident Evil fans who were snubbed by the spirits.
At this current point in time, there's no such thing as a Platinum representative considering they own no publicly revealed IPs at this moment.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think that Akira could get in Smash 6 if Astral Chain becomes as big as Splatoon is.
Oh definitely. Even if it doesn't, the character's unique visual design and abilities could give them a spot anyway.

A post on Gamefaqs lamented DLC Spirits from unrepped franchises not having any new music added with them. And now it makes me sad we won't get music from ...Daemon...
Oh yeah. That game exists. Is it's music better than it's artstyle?

D

Deleted member

Bold I played the game to completion from launch until a little over two weeks.

No ****in' way was any let's play as fast as I was.
Christ. You could have made a quick buck uploading **** to YouTube like those guys who keep reuploading God Shattering Star

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
If Astral Chain gets a sequel, the director as said he wants to do a trilogy of Astral Chain and which is more then possible as the game's story does end with enough loose ends to continue into a sequel and according to Platinum has sold better then they expected. Then yeah Officer Howard is an easily bet for the base roster of the next game.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
WHAT THEY WERE MY MOST WANTED FIRST PARTY HOW COULD NINTENDO DO THIS TO ME IM SO HECKIN ANGRY RIGHT NOW

AAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHHHH

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Soooooo....no Nintendo Direct this week probably.

Surely Lady Fate doesn't want me to see the reveal first hand becuase I might be impressed or disappointed.

Sorry for the Astral Chain fans...

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Imagine not having Ring Fit Adventurer as your most wanted first party.

This post was made by the Fitness gang.
The funny part is that I can totally see Ring Fit Adventurer being the "out of left field wtf" character for the base roster of the next game (ala Wii Fit Trainer).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Splatoon has really ****ed up peoples' perception of both what a successful new IP is, and what the barometer for entry is, huh? Splatoon has sold like 15 million units with only two titles - it's more successful than most series on the roster.

I mean, ARMS would've been included on the roster, and that one game sold less than half of what one Splatoon title sold, which itself was still over double that of what Xenoblade sold when Shulk got in. (yada yada sales don't equal inclusion, which is true, but it's a rough metric for audience size, which matters)

And by Smash 6, two games after the likes of Xenoblade got in, the bar is going to be that much lower. No IP needs to perform even near what Splatoon did. Splatoon is an aberration, the success of which even caught Nintendo by surprise.

If Astral Chain can get a sequel, it'll probably get in based on the virtue of simply being a current IP with multiple titles.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
I don't have to imagine. It's a reality.

They wouldn't make it DLC but I will welcome it's addition into the next Smash game when it rolls around.
Sir...

Peak fitness is a pathway to many abilities some would consider to be unnatural.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Imagine not having Ring Fit Adventurer as your most wanted first party.

This post was made by the Fitness gang.
Largely unrelated to Smash, but the speedrunning community for that game is getting off the ground. Someone beat the full campaign in at little over 18 hours on the lowest difficulty. The same runner tried again at the hardest difficulty only to give up 11 hours in from exhaustion.

I'm interested to see how it develops since running that game is more of an extreme marathon than a speedrun. Stuff like caloric intake and hydration (with specific brands), go-to exercises, tips for performance, etc. would be really interesting to see as a part of the strats for the run.

D

Deleted member

Largely unrelated to Smash, but the speedrunning community for that game is getting off the ground. Someone beat the full campaign in at little over 18 hours on the lowest difficulty. The same runner tried again at the hardest difficulty only to give up 11 hours in from exhaustion.

I'm interested to see how it develops since running that game is more of an extreme marathon than a speedrun. Stuff like caloric intake and hydration (with specific brands), go-to exercises, tips for performance, etc. would be really interesting to see as a part of the strats for the run.
Games Done Quick doing this game would be amazing if they can crunch the time down.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
honestly, I wouldn't mind too much if DLC went exclusively the third party route from here on out

don't get me wrong, I'd love some first parties, but there's so many more possibilities with third parties in comparison

It may just be me, but there's only so many potential Nintendo candidates left before first party additions would get a little... stale.

When you open the floodgates and bring in other companies however, the sky's the limit

Never in a million years did I think we'd see the likes of Joker, Banjo, and Terry, but dang man, there's so much more where that came from. Why stop now?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom