• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droodle

Smash Lord

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Didn't really think the twins were likely at all. So I'm not surprised by this at all. Hopefully this isn't hinting at a delayed direct.

Also this goes to show that Spirits from things like FE3H can still come out of nowhere, even if it doesn't make sense.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord

OOF....ouch, that hurt. Akira was one of my front runners for post-pass. This one stings a little bit.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
IS THIS HOW RESIDENT EVIL STANS FELT?

I NEVER WANTED TO FEEL THIS PAIN

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Keep in mind there still won't be much to speculate about. We just won't have all of those disconfirmations.
That's true still though I just rather this cycle be over with and we get to the next one.
Aw man gotta admit the game sounds intrigued I plan to grab it at some point. I would had welcomed Akira into the game. There goes his/her chances...:(

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Well this definitely confirmation for me that all DLC characters will be new 3rd party franchises.

The only pluasible 1st party character left is Fire Emblem 3H rep, but as we seen just right now a spirit event for it can come at any moment.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Getting an Astral Chain character was a long shot for this title; I'm just happy the game is being acknowledged in Ultimate.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Astral Chain may have a Spirit Event, but I'm gonna go against the expectation it sets and predict that Three Houses won't get a spirit event, instead getting post-pass DLC characters; I'm banking on all 3 of the main protags in a special FE-themed DLC pack, but they might end up only choosing just the two or one most popular characters of the group.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Well this definitely confirmation for me that all DLC characters will be new 3rd party franchises.

The only pluasible 1st party character left is Fire Emblem 3H rep, but as we seen just right now a spirit event for it can come at any moment.
I highly doubt that because it would mean that it will become impossible to rerelease Ultimate on any future console.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
PLEASE let Three Houses be the next one.

Can we go one reveal cycle without Fire Emblem getting special treatment? ONE CYCLE?

Droodle

Smash Lord
Honestly speaking I think an FE3H event will be seen REALLY soon.

My prediction is that they'll likely do Fighter Pass 2, and add a bonus Byleth costume (kind of like Rex in FP 1). Byleth makes a ton of sense as a mii costume they'd use to add as an incentive, they can also throw in a couple bonus tracks with him too. Then they'll announce the FE3H event on the direct/stream.

Honestly think that is the most likely scenario for FE3H.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

Huh, so recent game spirits can come late to the party. While TH is still in the air, it sometimes feels like Nintendo keeps telling me to expect nothing but third-parties with stuff like this.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I highly doubt that because it would mean that the next Smash game would have to cut the roster down.
With the amount characters already in the base game, it's going to happen regardless. It's pretty clear Sakurai is using the DLC period to make Smash Ultimate the ultimate crossover game period as he won't have a chance to do it next game.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
OOOH THAT STINGS....Hopefully Astral Chain 2 sells well like the first one and they get in the next Smash, though who knows how long this DLC cycle will go.

PLEASE let Three Houses be the next one.

Can we go one reveal cycle without Fire Emblem getting special treatment? ONE CYCLE?
they're gonna add five fire emblem characters in one pass

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Bruh why take so long to do the Astral Chain spirits lmao
This probably hard to believe due how unimportancely and lowly Spirits are viewed around here

Buuuut, the Spirit team has to specifically get the rights of the characters

Then specifically has to get the okay form the dev, and see if there being represented properly

They have to program it

Then release it

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Probably hind sight bias, but it does make sense.
  • Pokémon Sword and and Pokémon Shield were critically panned.
  • Astral Chain was new.
  • Fire Emblem characters make Super Smash Bros. fans angry more than any other series.

I highly doubt that because it would mean that the next Smash game would have to cut the roster down.
They're already going to have to do that. The only uncertainty is the extent it will need to do so.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Huh. I always thought Astral Chain would be a great candidate for a Fighter, and now it’s out.

While one could argue that it’s good for Three Houses because it hasn’t had one yet, the fact of the matter is that this spirit event isn’t tied to a release of a game, coming several months afterward.

Obviously folks know how I feel about spirits, and that I don’t think upgrades are happening. Three Houses is essentially the last “new” title with a feasible chance of a playable character (as in, we’re not going to see Link’s Awakening Link either, and I find a small chance of an Animal Crossing pick). If we get a Three Houses Pack, things wouldn’t be looking all that great for “new” first parties.

If Spirits count in the all-valued gaming crossover tally, then it wouldn’t make sense to argue you’re expanding the crossover with upgrades. If most high-quality first party titles are spirited, that makes thing difficult for them, in my humble opinion.

I could be proven wrong, but I keep finding fewer reasons to believe I will be.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think that they would want to be bogged down with too many licensing agreements, and this would cause them to favor characters from companies who already have characters in the game already. It would only be a problem if they decide to rerelease Ultimate on the next Nintendo console.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Bruh why take so long to do the Astral Chain spirits lmao
The Spirit's themselves might just be PNGs, but they have to make a corresponding Spirit battle to go with them which takes a little bit of work to actually develop. Spirit battles are probably on the backburner compared to DLC characters which is why it probably takes them awhile to get out.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
This probably hard to believe due how unimportancely and lowly Spirits are viewed around here

Then specifically has to get the okay form the dev, and see if there being represented properly

They have to program it

Then release it
Okay but they could also have done that around when Astral Chain released too.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Astral Chain is getting spirits because 2B is the Platinum representative, right? Right?

NGL I can really, really emphasize with Resident Evil fans who were snubbed by the spirits.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Honestly speaking I think an FE3H event will be seen REALLY soon.

My prediction is that they'll likely do Fighter Pass 2, and add a bonus Byleth costume (kind of like Rex in FP 1). Byleth makes a ton of sense as a mii costume they'd use to add as an incentive, they can also throw in a couple bonus tracks with him too. Then they'll announce the FE3H event on the direct/stream.

Honestly think that is the most likely scenario for FE3H.
I think AC, TH and the next Animal Crossing game might be our first party Nintendo events for this year, like we got Zelda, Toy-Con and Peachette Spirits this year.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It's a shame, though at least it gives me some motivation to play Astral Chain. I got the game, and I've been meaning to play it, though I'm not sure how well the idea of a puppet fighter works in an action game. (I wasn't a fan of V's playstyle in DMC5 - it felt too "hands-off", for the lack of a better word)

I do wish that Nintendo would do more with the Platinum-developed franchises that they own, whether it's in Smash or otherwise. Between the Wonderful 101 and this, it seems like there's a lot of potential for an interesting Smash character that's being missed out on.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that DLC Spirits are the only Spirits that actually deconfirm, especially if they are not tied to a release of a character from their game or franchise.

D

Deleted member

Never expected Astral Chain, but I'm surprised it took this long to get spirits. I would have assumed we wouldn't get them period. Guess that means Three Houses spirits could come out any point then.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't think that they would want to be bogged down with too many licensing agreements, and this would cause them to favor characters from companies who already have characters in the game already. It would only be a problem if they decide to rerelease Ultimate on the next Nintendo console.
That'd be a solid theory if not for the fact that the number of parties involved is expanding at an exponential rate. Even for Spirits.

They have to program it

Then release it
Yes but even with additional parties, they've been able to time the event around release before, so obviously they have foresight. And it's not like Platinum is a tough company to work with, especially when they've been able to time spirits from the likes of Square and TPC.

It is interesting. One theory, Schnee117 Schnee117 , is that an Astral Chain character was on a list of potential characters, but didn't make the cut. So they just opted for Spirits. Of course that's nothing but guesswork.

D

Deleted member

RIP the Astral Chain Gang. You will be missed.

I guess it's safe to assume a shadowdrop for FP5 won't be happening this week with this and the Amiibo lineup dropping in a few days. A reveal could still probably happen, but right now, the signs are pointing against a shadowdrop this week.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
That'd be a solid theory if not for the fact that the number of parties involved is expanding at an exponential rate. Even for Spirits.

Yes but even with additional parties, they've been able to time the event around release before, so obviously they have foresight. And it's not like Platinum is a tough company to work with, especially when they've been able to time spirits from the likes of Square and TPC.

It is interesting. One theory, Schnee117 Schnee117 , is that an Astral Chain character was on a list of potential characters, but didn't make the cut. So they just opted for Spirits. Of course that's nothing but guesswork.
So far, only two new companies were added: Microsoft and SNK. Sakurai might go the route of favoring companies who already have characters. The only way he can avoid this problem is to add some first party characters as DLC, which are easier to implement because he won't have to accept lengthy and costly licensing agreements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom