• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Anyway, calling it, the DMC twitter gave us the actual Direct date of January 16th so we're getting **** all tomorrow in terms of announcements but rather the day after

Also doesn't GG Strive get a new trailer then? Sol Win
Sol always wins.
Also the new trailer is for this weekend, I guess it will show Faust in action and tease another character (Millia please)

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
***** don't ****in' @ me. I only thought to record the very end for some buds on Snapchat, but I screamed enough during the trailer to wake up my parents (I was home for the holidays), so don't worry about me hamming it up for the video. That's 100% genuine.

I was v hype and v high pitched because of that.
This is one of the most wholesome reaction videos to Smash stuff I've seen in a while lol. Your excitement just comes off so well in the video.

D

Deleted member

Also in terms of Hero and Banjo reveal reactions, my reactions were fairly underwhelming.

Screenshot_20200113-173614_Opera.jpg

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Other M is in my opinion a good game but a bad Metroid game.
I don't think that taking a more narrative approach was bad per se, if we talk about Nintendo IPs Metroid is one of the best options to try that. But the execution was mediocre at best. Specially Samus' portrayal.

I think it's possible for Metroid to blend strong narrative with it's characteristic design and gameplay.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Thank god I've been finding more things to do to pass the time from watching Ace Attorney, reading, playing MediEvil (PS4), Luigi's Mansion 3 and Smash Ultimate and starting to get back to working at my house as well as bonding with my dogs. Kinda also in the mood to watching more movies I haven't watched for a while or haven't long ago notably Rampage, Kong: Skull Island, Joker (2019) and Grizzly (1976).

There's more to life then just Smash.
Ironic to see you say that when you're usually the first person in this thread to ask if we have any updates on Smash every single day.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
This is one of the most wholesome reaction videos to Smash stuff I've seen in a while lol. Your excitement just comes off so well in the video.
I was really hyped. Persona 5 is special to me since it's the last game I played before starting college, and it was a nice way to end a major chapter in my life. High School was rough for me, but playing through P5 gave me hope that College could be better.

It's also my hardest push to finish a game, as I spent 17 hours straight at the end of the game to beat it. I thought the final dungeon was the final dungeon, and then the final dungeon went into the final final dungeon, and then that dungeon went into the final final final dungeon, and then the boss took a solid 30 minutes to beat. Looking back, I wouldn't have done anything differently as the feeling of beating the game after all that work, and the way the music hit was so good.

Three Houses on the other hand...

MeguminDespair2.png

Anyone who was there during that time knows how hard I binged that game. Definitely not the highest point in my life.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Ironic to see you say that when you're usually the first person in this thread to ask if we have any updates on Smash every single day.
I'm attempting to finally change that though as one of my New Years resolutions is to better myself as a person.

Plus I'm just starting to lose interest who FP5 is really tbh.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
On the note of things that are less likely to be nothing noteworthy after all, we got a better look at the Joker Frompersonafive costume for TMS#FE.

Considering that this wasn't meant to be revealed yet, I could see this being shown off in a Direct this week.
The sad thing is that I'm shallow enough that a costume of a character I like being in this game makes me want it more.

If I ever get around to TMS, guess I know what costume I'm wearin'. :drshrug:

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
Other M is in my opinion a good game but a bad Metroid game.
I don't think that taking a more narrative approach was bad per se, if we talk about Nintendo IPs Metroid is one of the best options to try that. But the execution was mediocre at best. Specially Samus' portrayal.

I think it's possible for Metroid to blend strong narrative with it's characteristic design and gameplay.
Yeah, I agree with you. I can accept a more "fragile" Samus in that specific scenario, because of THE BABY loss, but some parts were bad written. Her reaction to Ridley was too extreme, for a woman who already killed him like 6/7 times.
Also, i can accept that Adam was like a father for her, but this was only during her years in the Galactic Federation. It seems like they forgot that the Chozos raised her in the first place!

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Other M was just a ****show all around tbh.

Lockdown and Ridley's Themes were good though

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Three Houses on the other hand...

Anyone who was there during that time knows how hard I binged that game. Definitely not the highest point in my life.
Man that game is huge. I keep thinking I've reached the final pre-timeskip month, but nope. Not yet. Today I saw the attract mode cutscene since it took me a bit to get situated. Now I'm just like "Whelp. Geralt's gonna die after this mission...He's still alive? Huh." *gets the next debriefing* "Oh so he's gonna die at the end of this month. Gotcha."

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
But dammit I liked it I like the music and I like Elma okay ;_;
only thing I know about XCX Is New LA and how stupid its themes are
That sounds like you need some of the better music for reference. (Links only for mobile convenience)

. . .And now I'm reminded of how ****ty it is that this game has no music in Ultimate (yet).
Also, I'm like 90% sure the day theme was inspired by The Red Hot Chili Peppers "Give it Away" so I like that one too. Actually I think the day theme is way better.
New LA day theme is great! Fight me!

I think Xenoblade X's biggest problem is that they didn't let you pilot the mech until like, halfway through the story if I recall correctly. It was such a huge part of the advertising and then you have to play hours to get it.
On the contrary, I think it was a great pace. It lets us explore on foot for a while before expending the world not once but twice. I would change nothing!

Robin: "Ehhh Fire Emblem." In hindsight though having played the games I would have been ecstatic.
After seeing reactions on Robin, I think I was one of the few people wanting him. I guessed him the second I saw Chrom on the floor. I was really hoping we would get our first Fire Emblem mage.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Also in terms of Hero and Banjo reveal reactions, my reactions were fairly underwhelming.

View attachment 257152
If anything, this response is far more powerful since you were absolutely overwhelmed and overjoyed by what you just witnessed, you could barely muster up the energy to produce something other than the standard "hyped" reaction through text.

I was quite moved by that, sir.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yeah, I agree with you. I can accept a more "fragile" Samus in that specific scenario, because of THE BABY loss, but some parts were bad written. Her reaction to Ridley was too extreme, for a woman who already killed him like 6/7 times.
Also, i can accept that Adam was like a father for her, but this was only during her years in the Galactic Federation. It seems like they forgot that the Chozos raised her in the first place!
Tbf you cannot 'get over' PTSD so Samus breaking down then and there makes sense from a medical standpoint, it's just that Sakamoto couldn't even keep the story in line with the manga he wrote and used for the story

D

Deleted member

If anything, this response is far more powerful since you were absolutely overwhelmed and overjoyed by what you just witnessed, you could barely muster up the energy to produce something other than the standard "hyped" reaction through text.

I was quite moved by that, sir.
Yeah that was the joke. I was ****ing ecstatic beyond words. I wish I recorded it, but I was visiting my mom's and would feel awkward shouting about a video game there. The historical summary will have to suffice for now.

I try to rewatch, but nothing can replicate how I reacted.

I called my brother, started incoherently typing on Smashboards, started shouting at my brother when he picked up, toned it down because my mom told me to stop swearing, ignored Breath of the Wild 2 completely, rewatched the trailer again, rewatched Dragon Quest's trailer again, immediately looked up the renders, and started watching reaction videos.

This was too real. It's not only just Banjo Kazooie. They also got Banjo Tooie! Grenade eggs, using Kazooie as a makeshift rifle, and Banjo slamming Kazooie into the ground like a club is Banjo Tooie! I can't believe it!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
On the contrary, I think it was a great pace. It lets us explore on foot for a while before expending the world not once but twice. I would change nothing!
Except you can't fly anywhere because everything in the sky is an endgame enemy.

That was another thing that needed some tuning. I got used to everything being able to one-shot me, but it gets ridiculous when story quest objectives are too close to high level enemies. Heck, Hope Springs Eternal is available at level 16 or something but if you take it then it stops you from progressing in the story until you either grind up to be able to deal with level 40 enemies or swim around the entire continent of Sylvalum and Metal Gear your way to the camp in Cauldros. I would have been so upset if I hadn't waited until I hit Cauldros naturally before picking it up.

The noob trap in Sylvalum is pretty funny though.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Except you can't fly anywhere because everything in the sky is an endgame enemy.

That was another thing that needed some tuning. I got used to everything being able to one-shot me, but it gets ridiculous when story quest objectives are too close to high level enemies. Heck, Hope Springs Eternal is available at level 16 or something but if you take it then it stops you from progressing in the story until you either grind up to be able to deal with level 40 enemies or swim around the entire continent of Sylvalum and Metal Gear your way to the camp in Cauldros. I would have been so upset if I hadn't waited until I hit Cauldros naturally before picking it up.

The noob trap in Sylvalum is pretty funny though.
Ooh I wonder what that anemone thing is - wait why’s the music all ominous it can’t be that baOH MY GOD!!!!

*DEAD*

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So one of the wii u game rumors is more or less soft confirmed as Pikmin 3. The other one is suppose to be a 6/10 game according to the reviewer.

I looked on their site and the 1st party games that were scored 6.0-6.9 by them were:

Mario Vs Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars
Mario Party 10
Earthbound Beginnings

The ones listed at Meta Critic is:

Game & Wario
Dr. Luigi
Wii Party U
Mario & Sonic Rio
Mario Party 10
Fatal Frame: Maiden of Water
Wii Sports Club
Star Fox Zero
Alright but who's the monster that gave Earthbound Beginnings a 6/10

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
You missed it so bad some wannabe clout chasers tried talking about it in the Dante thread to claim they called Dante right after the entire thread decided to dismiss it as V's VA would know **** all.

Seriously though like 5 people including a wannabe clout chaser posted about it since it was first discussed there
that’s....my god that’s so saddening. Their source of pride would be a retconned lie.

I’m fairly impressed that passed so quickly. I expected far more speculation talk, but you guys got through it pretty quick. Nipped it in the bud. Not the Smash Boards I remember at all. Good on you!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'll hold you to that.
Tbh that was bad wording on my part. I wouldn't say I lost interest who the character is its just discussion over FP5 has been run to the ground and barely anything left to discuss so I just want to get to post-Pass DLC so we have something new to speculate.

Still though I hold on with my New Years resolution and there being more to life then this.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So one of the wii u game rumors is more or less soft confirmed as Pikmin 3. The other one is suppose to be a 6/10 game according to the reviewer.

I looked on their site and the 1st party games that were scored 6.0-6.9 by them were:

Mario Vs Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars
Mario Party 10
Earthbound Beginnings

The ones listed at Meta Critic is:

Game & Wario
Dr. Luigi
Wii Party U
Mario & Sonic Rio
Mario Party 10
Fatal Frame: Maiden of Water
Wii Sports Club
Star Fox Zero
Of all the ones listed only Star Fox Zero and Fatal Frame make sense to me. That said, they could remake Wii Sports again and sell it all in the one go like they should have done in the first place instead of using the famously fickle casual audience as guinea pigs for new pricing plans. (see also Wii Fit U)

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Mahashiro Sakurei on Twitter (the fake one.) Has said that the Direct would be announced tomorrow morning and it would show the 5th fighter and something about Pikmin 3 Pikmin 3 Deluxe, Prime Trilogy HD, Odyssey 2, a new Paper Mario game and a 2D Metroid game.
What do you guys think of this?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Nin_SmashBros/status/1216846151871336448
I think it would be really funny if, of all people, Anti-hiro Sakurai ended up accurately calling the Direct announcement date and the contents of said Direct.

You wanna talk about good trailers;

The artstyle is spot-on, Doc Louis's coaching in the background is perfect, it's the definition of "hype."
And I had no interest in this character back when everyone was speculating his arrival, yet I've rewatched his more than any of my favorite newcomer's trailers.
One of the best trailers for Smash 4, and just one of the best Smash trailers in general.

Assuming Sakurai and the development team have a higher budget going forward, I'd love to see another trailer like this for one of Ultimate's DLC characters

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I say if there's nothing by this time tomorrow, there'll be nothing this week.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Alright but who's the monster that gave Earthbound Beginnings a 6/19
I'm not sure the game holds up too well in today's standards. IIRC it does the thing lots of old RPGs do where they want you to go somewhere specific but don't even hint at where that is.

Tbh that was bad wording on my part. I wouldn't say I lost interest who the character is its just discussion over FP5 has been run to the ground and barely anything left to discuss so I just want to get to post-Pass DLC so we have something new to speculate.

Still though I hold on with my New Years resolution and there being more to life then this.
Keep in mind there still won't be much to speculate about. We just won't have all of those disconfirmations.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Well at least a lot of you can that you aren't as impatient as the Playstation fandom right now, who right now is wondering when we are gonna get a proper reveal for the PS5 and just got the news that Sony is skipping E3 2020 entirely.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom