• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Well, another one down, so long without something tangible in speculation or new spirits. My condolences to the fans.
3 Houses stuff will happen for sure, fighter is possible but at least spirits, I can't see Ultimate closing without something related to Eldegard's crew.
Talking about event spirits... I know it's not the correct thread but... The Daemon ex Machina ones are still unavaliable for the ones we missed them?

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
  • Pokémon Sword and and Pokémon Shield were critically panned.

Yeah sure, whatever you say. (BTW, the Metascore is still in the 80s to this day, while the User Score grew much more negative to a 4.5.)

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
It is interesting. One theory, Schnee117 Schnee117 , is that an Astral Chain character was on a list of potential characters, but didn't make the cut. So they just opted for Spirits. Of course that's nothing but guesswork.
Honestly I could buy that. Maybe the Legion stuff was a big hurdle they couldn't figure out for whatever reason.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeah sure, whatever you say. (BTW, the Metascore is still in the 80s to this day, while the User Score grew much more negative to a 4.5.)
You know what I mean. A lot of people were pissed at the games.

Why? Sakurai hasn't deconfirmed every new 1st party series yet.
True but I no longer think there are any more realistic third party options.

Last edited:

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
Me, sitting in the corner holding all of my Ace Attorney and Three Houses babies protecting them from spirit board events
B2BEAD29-1AD9-4D4A-9375-85900F116288.jpeg

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Also they're not gonna know how the critic reception is gonna be ahead of time.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Astral Chain may have a Spirit Event, but I'm gonna go against the expectation it sets and predict that Three Houses won't get a spirit event, instead getting post-pass DLC characters; I'm banking on all 3 of the main protags in a special FE-themed DLC pack.
That sounds horrible.

Either way, I feel bad for Astral Chain, but I'm honestly not surprised that this happened. And if anything it helps tell us a bit as to how future DLC characters are gonna shape up. We may get a Three Houses costume for post pass DLC if they decide to reuse the pass format, but I'm expecting a Three Houses spirit event soon enough. Likely candidates are falling left and right.

I also had another game idea.
Say Sakurai decides to add Geralt and states that 4th parties are now okay BUT said character has to have at least one of their games on a Nintendo system. Barring grey area characters like Geralt himself, Sora-related Disney characters, and stretch characters like Miku (they're already discussed a ton), who do you think would be likely choices?

One of mine has to be Charlie Brown/Snoopy. While they aren't known for games, they do have a couple of games on Nintendo systems. The two characters are iconic, had a 50-year comic run (and reruns of the comics and specials are still around to this day), and Peanuts is a western property that is extremely popular in Japan. If 4th parties were somehow on the table I could actually see it happening.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
You know what I mean.

True but I no longer think there are any more realistic third party options.
Yeah. If you take Vergeben's word, there are no realistic third party options left for FP5. It leaves just a bunch of obscure, unrealistic characters and any Spirit/AT promotions.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
You know, I've sticked to the idea that every single DLC character is gonna be third-party, and I still will. Everytime I give Nintendo and Sakurai a chance to break my expectations, they tell me to keep them as they are.

Remember when we all thought that Nintendo chosing the characters meant only ads for the new games? I do, and look at where we are now.

Remember when people thought Joker wasn't enough evidence to think that this line-up would be only third-parties? Now we're four out of five characters from the same pass and none of them belong to Nintendo.

Kept checking interviews and stuff that could show us speculators the kind of approach they're having with these new characters and they all point out to making that copyright notice at the bottom bigger and bigger.

Honestly, the only way to change such views on speculation is for Nintendo to actually show their own guys are fair game. And after so many times going through this, I really don't see it happening.

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
RIP to Astral Chain. Had some of the coolest moveset potential for a newcomer imo.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
That sounds horrible.

Either way, I feel bad for Astral Chain, but I'm honestly not surprised that this happened. And if anything it helps tell us a bit as to how future DLC characters are gonna shape up. We may get a Three Houses costume for post pass DLC if they decide to reuse the pass format, but I'm expecting a Three Houses spirit event soon enough. Likely candidates are falling left and right.

I also had another game idea.
Say Sakurai decides to add Geralt and states that 4th parties are now okay BUT said character has to have at least one of their games on a Nintendo system. Barring grey area characters like Geralt himself, Sora-related Disney characters, and stretch characters like Miku (they're already discussed a ton), who do you think would be likely choices?

One of mine has to be Charlie Brown/Snoopy. While they aren't known for games, they do have a couple of games on Nintendo systems. The two characters are iconic, had a 50-year comic run (and reruns of the comics and specials are still around to this day), and Peanuts is a western property that is extremely popular in Japan. If 4th parties were somehow on the table I could actually see it happening.
You said no Disney characters, but... my choice would honestly be Mickey or Scrooge, with their movesets based on Magical Quest and Ducktales, respectively.

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215
I really hope this doesn't mean fighter pass 2 is gonna be all third parties again. Really want some new switch first party characters as well as some older nintendo characters that still need to be added.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
At least we still have Gooigi and Ring Fit Adventure Dude/Dudette for "new" first party reps if TH ends up getting the spirit treatment.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I really hope this doesn't mean fighter pass 2 is gonna be all third parties again. Really want some new switch first party characters as well as some older nintendo characters that still need to be added.
I think that it would be a good financial decision to include some first party characters.

Last edited:

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
I would've thought people would want a 3H spirit event, considering how much people complained about FE's lack of character content? :thinkingemoji:

D

Deleted member

He's technically right if you believe Vergeben is right when it comes to his list of deconfirmed characters.
World's bigger than me. I can totally believe FP 5 is some third party I never considered or heard of...

Or Phoenix.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I had a list of 10 characters I'd expect to see the most in the post-pass Season, ignoring anybody who is still alive for FP5. Akira just went off the list, and Bandana Dee gets to get back on there.

Shame too, the kid looked like they had potential. I guess Joker's gonna be the only Akira representation-- oh wait, he's Ren. Two Howards blew their big chance now.

In all seriousness, I expect all third party characters to be new to the series and first party characters to be promotions from base game. There were a few exceptions before, to the latter, but now that's what I think is gonna happen.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
AH ****. THAT'S ALL MY FIRST PARTY WANTS SPIRITED AWAY...

all except... HIM.
Dimitri Fire Emblem announced on 4/20, mark my words.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So far, only two new companies were added: Microsoft and SNK. Sakurai might go the route of favoring companies who already have characters. The only way he can avoid this problem is to add some first party characters as DLC, which are easier to implement because he won't have to accept lengthy and costly licensing agreements.
Atlus co-owns Joker, Armor Project and Bird Studio co-own some part of Dragon Quest (even if they don't show up in the title credits), and other entities such as Yacht Club, Koei-Tecmo, WayForward, Marvelous, Toby Fox have joined since last time (afaik), and that's just off the top of my head.

A copyright is a copyright, and the implementation, whether character or not, legally, is secondary. All those companies are involved.

To that end, Platinum IP is already in the game. Much as they co-own Astral Chain with Nintendo, they also co-own the Wonderful 101 with Nintendo, and that already has content. They'd be new to the credits on the title screen, but not new to the actual game. They're already in the extended credits.

But even if it weren't, there's clearly no reluctance on Nintendo's end to include additional parties.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Sees Akira deconfirmed:

One of my most wanted is out.

Edit: Was trying to find the moment where Volgin says Damn and hits an oil can but this will do. I'm slightly annoyed but that's the way it is. Got people talking again which is good.

Last edited:

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
You know, I've sticked to the idea that every single DLC character is gonna be third-party, and I still will. Everytime I give Nintendo and Sakurai a chance to break my expectations, they tell me to keep them as they are.

Remember when we all thought that Nintendo chosing the characters meant only ads for the new games? I do, and look at where we are now.

Remember when people thought Joker wasn't enough evidence to think that this line-up would be only third-parties? Now we're four out of five characters from the same pass and none of them belong to Nintendo.

Kept checking interviews and stuff that could show us speculators the kind of approach they're having with these new characters and they all point out to making that copyright notice at the bottom bigger and bigger.

Honestly, the only way to change such views on speculation is for Nintendo to actually show their own guys are fair game. And after so many times going through this, I really don't see it happening.
Exactly all of this, thank you

>Tfw y'all yelled at nessdeltarune00 nessdeltarune00 and me for really doubting 1st party, despite the fact the Smash team keeps reaffirming our doubts

anigif_sub-buzz-3488-1573153299-1.gif

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You wanna edit that post real quick?
Actually yes, but not because of that statement. As far as I'm concerned Fire Emblem: Three Houses is the only Nintendo game they would be able to pull characters from (as characters like Bandanna Waddle Dee aren't exactly in the public eye at the moment). Considering how much the majority of Super Smash Bros. fans hate how many Fire Emblem characters there are I don't think Byleth or Edelgaurd would be a good DLC pick.

Though I would like to see Byleth and/or the three lords in a Smash game at some point.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Honestly I could buy that. Maybe the Legion stuff was a big hurdle they couldn't figure out for whatever reason.
Even if that theory were true, there's no guarantee they'd have even made it to the stage where a moveset gets drafted. It could've just been a long list of possible candidates like the one Sakurai was seemingly presented by Nintendo, of which he culled together the five FP characters.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Them failing to implement the legion sounds highly doubtful as Joker is essentially how I'd imagine the Legion would exactly function implemented into Smash. Either that or Rosalina and Luma style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom