• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

If you get triggered by fictional characters looking attractive, then video games aren't for you.
I don't see anything overly American about not sexualizing minors, bud.

I have the perfect dril tweet for this but I'm trying to tone down my more asshole-y remarks **** me
New years resolution?

Last edited by a moderator:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Let's play a game. Sakurai makes an anime smash Bros. What would be the roster?
Rules:

1. Each anime has to have 3 reps
2. A total of 10 animes can be chosen
3. You can also add 5 unlockable characters from any of the 10 chosen anime.
I mean, there's pretty much no reason not to just Shounen Jump that ****.

Just Jump Force but, like...good.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Don't you know? If someone criticizes your favorite character, it's a personal attack against you! /s
The problem is a whole bunch of people who don’t like the characters take an exaggerated or obsessively hateful stance and also troll or harass fans. You yourself came into the Banjo-Kazooie thread just to annoy people or try and bring people’s hopes down as if you really cared about setting expectations (since you made it very clear you detest the characters not too long afterwards and even before then, and have bothered people who like a character you hate before as well). TheJWittz, however, is perfectly fine, and I find it funny Geno was brought up as an example when very few in the Geno thread were actually bothered.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Watch that its just an 30 minute Animal Crossing Direct.
I see this as an absolute win.

Content wise, I never enjoyed "here's who I don't want" material. Always invites a bitter time and that thumbnail wasn't pulling me in.

Otherwise, eh. I just didn't watch past the first couple of seconds.
It's a totally straightforward, here's a topic I found interesting and wanted to give my take on it. We do this all the time in the Smash fan base and there's nothing wrong with it (especially when a number of people also actively look to engage in cut discussions, so you know...). He didn't say things maliciously, didn't say these characters couldn't or even "shouldn't" be in Ultimate. Just that he didn't want them. It only invites a bitter time because people either can't be responsible adults about it, or can't take any negative stance on their favorite.

Even that isn't the most consistent thing (three months between Joker and Hero, five weeks between Hero and Banjo, two months between Banjo and Terry, presumably three months between Terry and Five). Though it has been more consistent than reveals, yes.

However, I wouldn't undersell the value of the reveal schedule either. Both are very important, otherwise Nintendo would've just said who is included up front. By keeping the character identities a secret, they're placing more value on the reveals.
I mean, I'm not underselling the value of reveals I don't think. I'm just saying a release schedule of a fair amount of consistency is probably more important than the reveal one since releases are more direct engagement that can keep players invested for longer while reveals are more general talking points. Speculation is good for the fan base of course and keeping engagement on that level is important too, but the reveals have been paced in a completely logical way up until basically this most recent dead silence for Fighter #5. That calendar fails to consider any other details of how post launch Smash has been handled, and honestly just comes off as far too simplistic a look at the state of things.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
It has it's fans. TBH, it isn't a bad game at all, they just set expectations for it horribly. They should not have announced it as a FE X SMT game when apparently, it was so early in development that they hadn't even gotten started with conceptual phases yet, and when they did, the crossover fell through and they changed the plan completely.
I wanna buy the game so bad but...but I gotta save moneyy for animal crossing

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I wanna buy the game so bad but...but I gotta save moneyy for animal crossing
I might get to it at some point, but I got too much on my plate right now. I've heard from my brother that it's pretty fun, though.

Moving on to another topic, I have a question for this thread:

I'm legitimately curious...How many of y'all actually play Smash as much as you speculate about it?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Are you seriously trying to defend censorship? It's the principle that's the issue. Japanese developers wanted to create a game that suited their vision, and westerners tarnished it. There is no excuse for this. If you get triggered by fictional characters looking attractive, then video games aren't for you.
I disagree. I don't think making minor aesthetic changes to a character's attire tarnishes a creator's vision any more than translating the language they speak so that other countries can understand them.

Sometimes things about a creative work have to be slightly altered in order for a wider audience to be able to accept or appreciate it. It can take many forms from turning a bra into something someone socially acceptable for someone to wear in public, to changing some wording to avoid using slurs, to giving a character an extra finger and not flattening him like a pancake.

But that's not to say that it can't be taken too far or be done poorly (I'm kinda sad I never got to play Manzai Birds), but in the end I think it's better that more people be able to enjoy a thing than not.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
In regards to TMS #FE censorship, this dude said it way better than I ever could.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I guess there are some valid points to be made about censorship altering a story's narrative, themes, and intent, but arguing from the perspective of cleavage and shading on parts of the party ain't it.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I might get to it at some point, but I got too much on my plate right now. I've heard from my brother that it's pretty fun, though.

I'm legitimately curious...How many of y'all actually play Smash as much as you speculate about it?
It's the only thing my cousin wants to play so I gotta do it.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I play exclusively single player in Smash 'cause I suck, lol. I do like playing it with my family every once and a while, though. Lately I've been trying to practice in hopes of trying online again.
I kinda feel bad because im way better than he is at the game and there's only so much I can hold back to make it believable that he won.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

I regularly play Smash every other day with my brother, usually around 1 hour gaming sessions.

I frequent the boards and this thread, but can’t say I’ve been doing much speculation lately. Mainly just talking about video games and ****posting, since it feels like I’ve already said everything I need to or someone else already has.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord

When I feel like playing Smash, I’ll usually play SSF2 instead of Ultimate since I’m better at it, keyboard controls feel more precise to me than controllers do, and it’s much more convenient to start up on a whim.

SSF2 doesn’t have quite as much speculation behind it, given that we already know who the next 6 characters are, so we’re just waiting for the patch that adds them all (which, in all likelihood, isn’t coming anytime soon.)

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I regularly play Smash every other day with my brother, usually around 1 hour gaming sessions.

I frequent the boards and this thread, but can’t say I’ve been doing much speculation lately. Mainly just talking about video games and ****posting, since it feels like I’ve already said everything I need to or someone else already has.
Yeah, I've kind of chilled on hardcore speculating as well, lol. I've mostly just been funposting and talking about video games, like you said. Once post-pass starts up I'll probably be willing to delve back in to Smash theories a bit.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I kinda feel bad because im way better than he is at the game and there's only so much I can hold back to make it believable that he won.
I also have that problem with my sister. I'm not good at the game by any means but my sister still doesn't know how to recover correctly. As in, double jump and Up Special toward the stage. The poor girl is also somewhat decent at Mario Kart 8, but consistently places 12th when I play because the AI rubber bands to me and I tend to be a mile ahead of the pack.

The last game we've both genuinely had fun playing together the whole way through was Rayman Origins because she could pop back in whenever she wanted and there weren't any B.S. collectables we cared to find (lookin' at you Yoshi's Wooly World).

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace

Pretty sure I've spent more time lurking on this forum than actually playing the game. Can't play Smash for longer than an hour without my eyes starting to hurt so I often take breakes where I speculate with friends or read what strangers on the internet have to say.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Pretty sure I've spent more time lurking on this forum than actually playing the game. Can't play Smash for longer than an hour without my eyes starting to hurt so I often take breakes where I speculate with friends or read what strangers on the internet have to say.
I mean, same. I easily spend more time on here than actually playing the game - I only really play online with others, and I tend to get too worked up over me doing badly there.

Also heey another German person in here

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'd call Tokyo Mirage Sessions a garbage fire that doesn't really get the appeal of Shin Megami Tensei, Persona, or Fire Emblem, but it gave us a character canonically named "TikiIsMyWaifu", so clearly they knew what they were doing.

Last edited:

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman

Been clearing my gigantic game backlog for now playing Halo: Reach, Mario+Rabbids and Etrian Mystery Dungeon, so it’s kinda hard to make time for multiplayer games. Still, I do hop into Smash once a week for some matches.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I'd call Tokyo Mirage Sessions a garbage fire that doesn't really get the appeal of Shin Megami Tensei, Persona, or Fire Emblem, but it gave us a character canonically named "TikiIsMyWaifu", so clearly they knew what they were doing.
and the fact Itsuki became a popular Uta-loid Song maker and Utaloid is a legit thing, I love it

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Look man I'm just not going to let them off the hook.
This was how they announced TMS man. We were SO close to greatness
It's what happens when you decide to announce something before the development team even decides how they are going to handle it. Like...why? If your development team hasn't decided what to do with the concept, you shouldn't raise people's expectations from the get-go. I'm very positive that had that one trailer never come out, people would've had a much different reception since they wouldn't have had "FE X Shin Megami Tensei" in mind.

Also, it's one thing to question censorship regarding story and gameplay, but "vagina model bones", something that has nothing to do with them, is just stupid to complain about.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
This post was warned for being spam.
E3CFD57C-1CD1-4B51-8192-92E2064567DB.png

GIVE YOUR ENERGY TO BASED DRAGONBORN FOR HIM TO DEFEAT THE VILLANIOUS KOS-MOS

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......

Here and there. About once a fortnight for an hour or so. My Smash moods tend to go up and down.
I've been more watching anime and reading books these days which is kinda what I want to do.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
View attachment 256927

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
ogNrt6xjoxcgp7z0v_1Zi1oMaZFLnP1GlBCxOVfgIs8xyKIv6cojhN6Eao2dlFHmnVeIBx1QU8wWRjakMrSCUJWTjalEi-...jpg

No thanks.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
View attachment 256927

Todd Howard doesn't deserve rights and neither do anime fans so this is a hard no

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom