• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
If we did get the Dragonborn I’d would be cool if we could get other races and genders as alts besides the generic default Nord dude. Would make them more visually interesting to me at least.

I really like Morrowind so I’d like to play as a Dark Elf alt.
My personal hope is that they'll pull a Hero and make four alts based off of the different races. So for instance, a Nord, an Elf, an Argonian, and a Khajit with each getting another color alongside them.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
It's actually surprising to me that the conversation turned to the Dragonborn, considering how long I've spent wishing people would realize that Bethesda has characters other than Doomguy...like their own in-house one. I always thought it would be amazing, and he'd fit so well in the game (big dragon boss, iconic helmet and signature move for Kirby, potential for multiple race/gender options as costumes), but I never really thought it was close to likely since nobody was talking about it.

...and then we get people on the "Ugh, he's just American :ulthero:, hard pass" train. Kinda feels like the standard "I don't know this character so I'm not going to put any thought into how they could work." Or even better: "Bethesda has been scummy since they screwed Fallout, so they don't deserve to be recognized as a developer." Ok, but people are still begging for more music from the Squuenixes despite the things that have been said about that composer?
But yeah Todd, get your *** together before TES6, we don't want this **** in our single-player epics.

I will say there's a lot going for the Dragonborn even if I never thought it was likely in the first place, if you think about it. Yeah, there's a lot against him as well. But I also think it's one of those characters who if they got added, even if most people are thinking it won't happen to begin with, there'll be loads of people then saying how it was such an obvious choice we should have seen coming.

I know we're all praying that we'll be blessed by Sakurai with our choice in Smash, and this one's mine.

And if you can't picture him as anything more than someone who's already in, we've got lots of ideas for costumes and movesets in the thread if anyone wants to come by... please, we need the traffic...

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Gonna take advantage of the wording here and assume that anime adaptations, including ones based on video games, are allowed...
  1. Sailor Moon
    • Sailor Moon
    • Sailor Venus
    • Tuxedo Mask
  2. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
    • Jonathan Joestar
    • Jotaro Kujo
    • DIO
    • Joseph Joestar (unlockable)
    • Josuke Higashikata (unlockable)
  3. Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
    • Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
    • Don Patch
    • Gasser
    • Captain Battleship (unlockable)
  4. Kill la Kill
    • Ryuko Matoi
    • Satsuki Kiryuin
    • Mako
  5. One-Punch Man
    • Genos
    • Speed-o'-Sound Sonic
    • Bang
  6. Space Dandy
    • Dandy
    • QT
    • Meow
  7. Lupin III
    • Arsene Lupin III
    • Daisuke Jigen
    • Goemon Ishikawa XIII
    • Fujiko Mine (unlockable)
  8. Cowboy Bebop
    • Spike Spiegel
    • Jet Black
    • Faye Valentine
  9. Vampire Hunter D
    • D
    • Meier Link
    • Leila
  10. Ace Attorney
    • Phoenix Wright
    • Maya Fey
    • Miles Edgeworth
    • Godot (unlockable)
You forgot an anime.

DragonBall-
1). Goku
2). Vegeta
3). Freiza
4). Piccolo

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
1st Third Party- Dante
2nd Third Party- Blaze the Cat
Promotional Character- Edelgard
GTPWTW- Sora
Big Surprise- Yuzuriha (Under Night in Birth)

Naruto:
Naruto
Sasuke
Hinata
Madara (Unlock)

Bleach:
Ichigo
Rukia
Yoruichi
Aizen (unlock)

One Piece:
Luffy
Zoro
Carrot
Blackbeard (unlock)

Fairy Tail:
Natsu
Erza
Gray
Zeref (unlock)

Black Clover:
Asta
Noelle Silva
Yuno

Shaman King:
Yoh Asakura
Ren Tao
Horohoro (Trey)
Hao Asakura (unlock)

Ronin Warriors:
Ryo Sanada
Sage Date
Lady Kayura

Fullmetal Alchemist:
Edward Elric
Roy Mustang
Riza Hawkeye

My Hero Academia
Izuku Midoriya
Bakugou Katsuki
Uraraka Ochaco

Fire force:
Shinra Kusakabe
Maki Oze
Tamaki Kotatsu
Ronin Warriors? I will follow you into the depths of hell if you ask me. I loved that show

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Here's a little customization game we can play. Make your ideal pass using one character from each of the five lists.

1st Third-party
Rayman
Professor Layton
Dante
Phoenix Wright
Steve

2nd Third-party
Reimu
KOS-MOS
Arle Nadja
Lloyd Irving
2nd Sonic the Hedgehog character

"Promotional" Character
Three Houses rep (Your choice)
Astral Chain rep (Your choice)
Ring Fit Adventurer
Gooigi
Sword and Shield rep (Your choice)

Give the People What They Want
Geno
Master Chief
Sora
Waluigi
Issac

The Big Surprise
Any character who you want but don't expect.
Steve
Second Sonic character: Dr. Eggman
Sword and Shield rep: Falinks
Geno
Chase

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
Three Houses is incredibly likely for post pass, but not this one. It's looking to be nothing but third party and Sakurai said he wanted to add as many "new worlds" as possible.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
You guys kept saying this when around the 2rd Fighter was annoced

Then the 3rd and 4th

Now are you guys doing it again with 5th
However, you seem to forget that trends can easily be broken. It's pretty much certain that FP5 is third party, but post pass we have no clue about what characters could be added.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
feth won 2 awards at tga
I know that. What I meant with my previous post is that if the next batch of Smash DLC is first-party, the only people who wouldn't buy it are a few people who talk about their obsessions with expanding the crossover online, not your average player. And tournament players certainly can't boycott it, since they have to learn the matchup/ensure anyone can play as their main on their Switch.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
feth won 2 awards at tga
You are forgetting that any FE character for FP5 has the word of Reggie himself working against any of them.

“These are characters you will not anticipate being in Super Smash Bros.”

Historically, it has been par for the course in Smash speculation to expect a Fire Emblem character, and people thought it would happen before Joker got revealed, and the precedent was set.

Do you really think another Fire Emblem character would fall under the category he was talking about?

D

Deleted member

I know that. What I meant with my previous post is that if the next batch of Smash DLC is first-party, the only people who wouldn't buy it are a few people who talk about their obsessions with expanding the crossover online, not your average player. And tournament players certainly can't boycott it, since they have to learn the matchup/ensure anyone can play as their main on their Switch.
People will buy whoever sakurai puts in
EF235563-8F1C-4685-AFA6-9675F5F845FE.jpeg

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Sure, the trend of 3rd party DLC could be broken after the Fighter Pass.

But it’s not just Fighter Pass precedent we’re looking at. The only first party newbie in Wii U DLC was Corrin. Otherwise we’re looking at...7 (like 8) 3rd party newbies with 1 first party who was specifically chosen because they were from a new game.

Could that change? Sure. But DLC isn’t the same thing as base game. You can add 3rd string characters in base because you’re directly appealing to fans of first party picks. With DLC, the goal is generate attention for Smash and increase sales, and in this case bring in more “game worlds”. Thus far, we’ve been shown that “game worlds” probably means 3rd parties or at least series entirely new to Smash.

I wouldn’t count them out, in terms of first parties, and it’s not as if it’s set in stone. But I can’t really agree that suddenly “everything is back on the table!” When precedent says otherwise.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
This man knows
MOST RELIABLE LEAKER potentially REVEALS FP5? (NOT CLICKBAIT)
I'm ok with most of Nintendo's D listers but no way in hell am I paying money for Rex Xenoblade

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Byleth isn't a clear cut choice even strictly within Three Houses.
True, but why show favoritism towards one house and risk alienating fans of the other two when you can choose the safe route and pick the avatar character to be in Smash?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
True, but why show favoritism towards one house and risk alienating fans of the other two when you can choose the safe route and pick the avatar character to be in Smash?
They showed Edelgard favouritism for the entire marketing campaign, Claude and Dimitri don't even have a shred of the marketing Edelgard got so it isn't alienating at all

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
glad to see speculation still hinges on an offhand PR comment made at an unaffiliated games show over a year ago

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Because Byleth is extremely ****ing boring with zero personality and they evidently don't care about "alienating fans of the other two" (most wouldn't be alienated anyway unless they take games too ****ing seriously) when they pick starter Pokemon.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Because Byleth is extremely ****ing boring with zero personality and they evidently don't care about "alienating fans of the other two" (most wouldn't be alienated anyway unless they take games too ****ing seriously) when they pick starter Pokemon.
Okay but Byleth's Whipsword would make for a hella cool moveset and you can't deny that.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
the goal is generate attention for Smash and increase sales
After the game's already broken sales records for both the series and its genre, there could be a different goal in mind for post-pass DLC. I don't see a 3H rep attracting more sales anyway, not because OMG FE IS WORSE THAN SATAN, but because Smash is partially responsible for its mainstream status, thus making a huge demographic overlap possible.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Okay but Byleth's Whipsword would make for a hella cool moveset and you can't deny that.
whipsword: i sleep
dimitri being a ****ing animal and crushing skulls with his bare hands and screaming with every smash attack: i WAKE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom