• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Atthis point im half expecting FP5 to pop upin the middle of the night like Jokers release date.

Mega Man X has always been somewhat of a pipe dream for me, so the day he could be actual, legitimate option for Smash Bros excites me to no end.
My personal pipe dream is to have Megaman EXE playable.
Imagine his gimmick being a combination of Hero's spell list with Clouds limit gauge to mimic with Battle chip custom gauge in his old game. It would be great.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Anything new in my absence or is discussion still the same?
BRO YOU WEREN'T EVEN GONE

IT'S BEEN HALF A DAY

ITS A SUNDAY

What are you expecting, Sakurai himself to come in and post "By the way the final character is The Game Guy, who is the green square from Atari Adventure"? My god man there's been barely a page since you last posted!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Still can't believe I fell for the Grinch leak though! It had Banjo & Kazooie in it, how could it be wrong? I'm so fed up right now guys!
The Grinch Leak is fake? But we just found out who Eric Bricard works for!

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Anyone think a January direct may be possible this week?
Anything's possible. I got a gut feeling that it could happen, but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.

D

Deleted member

I don’t know for sure if the Direct will be this week, but I feel positive about it being this month.

Nothing awful if I end up wrong doh.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Anyone think a January direct may be possible this week?
I'm thinking this week is the most likely. It may happen next week, but I doubt we'll have to wait till February.

While Smash unrelated, Tansut? (the leaker who leaked Cloud back in Smash 4, and also stated Erdrick was in Smash) stated back in October that TWEWY related content (games etc) are happening in the future and that it will be on the Switch, but not limited to it.

I didn't really believe it at first, but yesterday the TWEWY Final Remix site underwent maintenance for some reason. Obviously it could mean nothing, but the last time it happened was before Final Remix got announced.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm definitely banking this week. If not next week for sure.

The only question is whether tomorrow, Wednesday or Thursday.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I swear some people on this thread sound like a bunch of impatient children repeatedly shouting "are we there yet" in the back seat of the car as the mom driving the car begins to loose her patience and threatens to go back home if they don't stop asking. I'm the mother and I swear to god I will tell Sakurai (who happens to be my dad btw) to cancel FP5 if I have to read another post asking if there's been any news about FP5.

In other news, I've been playing a bit of Astral Chain after getting it for Christmas and I think the Howard twins might be my new most wanted first party. There's a lot of fun moveset potential with the Legion mechanic and I think it'd work differently enough to not be redundant of Arsene. We haven't gotten any spirits of AC yet soooooooo they're still on the table and I'd be super happy to have them in

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
ya know, Instead of complaining about the lack of Smash news, have y'all ever considered actually playing Smash?

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I think the Direct HAS to be this week at the very latest please please please?

Hopefully this hypothetical Direct also has a lot of good reveals or footage. Either announce things that will come out this year or show us things you announced years ago, both are good.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think the Direct HAS to be this week at the very latest please please please?

Hopefully this hypothetical Direct also has a lot of good reveals or footage. Either announce things that will come out this year or show us things you announced years ago, both are good.
Watch we do get an direct but FP5 isn't shown.

The salt man. I can only imagine.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I read an article from IGN earlier today about upcoming releases in the industry, and Spring-Summer for the Switch is currently pretty barren.

A Direct could easily fix that.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I dont blame people for not playing the game in a while because there's barely any single player content and most people dont want to play online
TBH I love Ultimate's single player. Classic mode and WoL are amazingly fun to play through, but that's just me. Heck, I just have fun treating Smash as an arcade experience and just fight CPUs for an hour or two here and there.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
It always breaks my heart to have some fun rounds against some friends offline or against the CPU and then boot up the online and have a lagfest for the majority of times.

So glad that arenas exist. Not perfect but at least worlds better than quickplay.

MooMew64

It always breaks my heart to have some fun rounds against some friends offline or against the CPU and then boot up the online and have a lagfest for the majority of times.

So glad that arenas exist. Not perfect but at least worlds better than quickplay.
TBH if I ever play online again I'm pretty sure it will be exclusively in Arenas. Quick Play is really bad, and TBH I don't wanna play with a backwards point-and-score system that doesn't even let you choose the mode you're playing or match people of similar skill levels well.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
TBH I love Ultimate's single player. Classic mode and WoL are amazingly fun to play through, but that's just me. Heck, I just have fun treating Smash as an arcade experience and just fight CPUs for an hour or two here and there.
Eh, could've lived without WoL.

Melee Adventure mode remade and modernized is still my pipe dream for any Smash game. I wanna go to Bionis world and smash Mechon ffs.

SKX31

Smash Master
I dont blame people for not playing the game in a while because there's barely any single player content and most people dont want to play online
You want some additional single player fun?

Spirits. You have to limit yourself though (No One Punch Mac or Slow Super Armor / Armor Knight) so these are my favs:

Trade off Suicide: You want trade off spirits (Support spirits Garon, Majora's Mask and / or Kazuya Miller) and stack them with either Master Core (Primary who's also a trade off) or someone who benefits from high self damage like Enhanched Rodin or Enhanced Andross' spirit. You'll start with 60 up to 120 % on yourself (if you tack all three on Master Core) but buffs to everything. If you play as Joker you get instant Arsene and as Terry (with the aformentioned Master Core build) instant Go attacks. However, Little Mac doesn't get instant KO punch, nor does Cloud get Limit. Anything sneeze on you though and you're flyin'. Hilarious when against multiple enemies.

Crits everywhere: Enhanched Lyn + Mythra. I'm not completely sure if additive (and thus stacks the crit chance to 24 %), but I love using this with Hero. So he can crit around 33 % of the time with his Smashes. The Spirit crits are only +30 % damage instead of +100 % (double) damage, but the big thing is that you're critting more.

Soy Sauce: Geese. When you enter Critical Health (80 % normally, 1/4 in Stamina) he supercharges your Final Smash meter. If you use them quickly it guarantees double if not triple Final Smashes. His charging is only for a short while once activated. Three support slots, so get intentionally to 80 % but don't die.

I'm lucky to have my Switch practically hooked to a proper router, and although my quickplay online's been smooth I've also had really bad matches every so often.

I feel you.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'm kinda surprised they didn't bring Smash Run back. It basically took all the enjoyable parts of Subspace and put it in a small, contained arena where you could just wallop on baddies for a bit.

MooMew64

Eh, could've lived without WoL.

Melee Adventure mode remade and modernized is still my pipe dream for any Smash game. I wanna go to Bionis world and smash Mechon ffs.
I like WoL 'cause it gives me RPG mechanics to play with with a skill tree and Spirit team building shenanigans. Melee Adventure mode would've been cool, though.

My dream is SSE2, but lol that's never happening again.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
The best part of Smash Run was being able to fight Nintendo enemies as Nintendo characters. That IS why we play crossovers, no? Being able to set specific conditions (ie end minigame, enemy types, etc) would've made it even better.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
I'm lucky to have my Switch practically hooked to a proper router, and although my quickplay online's been smooth I've also had really bad matches every so often.

I feel you.
Not sure if it was my region (nothern Germany) but even with the ethernet adapter and proper port forwarding, the times I had a decent experience in quickplay was miniscule. Playing with up to a full second of input delay and constant freezing is just frustrating. Again, arena is decent. Somewhat noticeable lag but perfectly playable, so it shouldn't be my internet connection that was at fault (considering that I had a ping of 20-40 to most EU servers on PC).

Maybe I'm was just really unlucky and chose poor timeframes to play. Wasn't able to play online the last few months anyway, as my current apartment has no wired internet connection and playing over satellite wifi is not something I wanna impose on others.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Sakurai got way too salty about SSE clips being posted online.

And people were crying during speculation of Ultimate to not upload anything at all like ProsafiaGaming wasn't about to leak all of those cutscenes Day -1 before it was even officially out.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I like WoL 'cause it gives me RPG mechanics to play with with a skill tree and Spirit team building shenanigans. Melee Adventure mode would've been cool, though.

I think the biggest with a sse2 is the fact that there are a ton more series in smash now than there were back then so it would be harder to see these characters from drastically different settings interacting compared to the predominantly cartoony characters of brawl.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think the biggest with a sse2 is the fact that there are a ton more series in smash now than there were back then so it would be harder to see these characters from drastically different settings interacting compared to the predominantly cartoony characters of brawl.
Counterpoint:

All of the scenes with Snake are the best ones

KatKit

Smash Lord
Alright, I've chosen the winners from the game I made the other day. Thanks for playing! This is a long list, but I will try my hardest to make it work. Give me a week or two (this is enough characters for another fighting game!), and I'll post all of the movesets at once, but if y'all want, I can do it little by little. Chances are, the Smash reveal will come out before I'm finished, so my hard work is going to get buried under the hype, but I'll manage lol. Anyways, here are the characters I've chosen:

Don-chan, Metal Slug, 1-3 League of Legend characters, 2-4 Pokemon that were mentioned, Pitfall Harry, Hamtaro, Duna Nichs, Axel Stone and/or Blaze Fielding, Vincent Brooks (Catherine), Ragna the Bloodedge, Kunio, Akari/Ryota Hayami, Baba is You, Michael Wilson (Metal Wolf Chaos), Professor Layton, Miku Hatsune, Tony Hawk, Mike Tyson, Frogger, Sergeant Cortez, Alley Cat, Lemmings, Duster (Mother 3), Morshu, Classic Ganon, a Fire Emblem character that uses a gun, Officer Howard (Astral Chain), York (Deadly Premonition), and Space Invader.

Chances are, I'm going to post one for Sora, Travis Touchdown, Raiden, Adol, Phoenix Wright, and Arle anyway, so don't worry about them. Other characters like Mona and Bill Rizer are super cool concepts I'll probably revisit somewhere down the line.

I'm going to provide as many visual references as possible. I'm going to make every character unique (both amongst themselves and the existing roster), and introduce several new concepts that haven't been explored in Smash yet. Even though this is all hypothetical, I'm going to make it balanced and explain how it'd work as if it were real. It'll be a learning experience and an opportunity to hype up several underrated and/or unorthodox characters within the fandom. I'm not super familiar with every single character listed above, but trust me when I say that I do my research. I mean... I did it with Circus Charlie.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom