• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
So, like PAC-MAN?
No? Maybe you haven't played Pac-Man World 2, or something, but the guy has had tons of moveset potential. That said, I don't really like his moveset at all.

these are your opinions and they don't add anything to your argument.
Besides sales figures, all we are talking about is opinions. That's all you CAN talk about when it comes to speculation.

I have to bow out into the world that makes sense now. I hope you all enjoy your Professor Layton Mii Costume, because I'm afraid that's all you're going to get.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
While my only experience with Layton was his crossover with Phoenix, I'd love to see what Sakurai and team would be able to pull with him. If anything, I've learned from Smash and MvC that characters who aren't fighters actually make for really interesting fighters in these games. And his cartoony look could translate well to Ultimate.

... that, and I admit I love the fact that people ragequit particularly hard against characters like this. It's really funny to watch. Look up Lythero's UMvC3 videos if you don't believe me.

EDIT: I'm rewatching one of his ragequit compilations now. Seeing people disconnect during Phoenix Wright level 3 is oddly like watching someone break down in the Ace Attorney games.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I hope you all enjoy your Professor Layton Mii Costume, because I'm afraid that's all you're going to get.
You say that like its a bad thing.
I'll happily take a Mii fighter costume for Layton. At least the franchise would finally have its foot set through the door.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
lmao at thinking a Mii Costume for Layton is a bad thing when he's the first mii I made in both 4 and Ultimate

Something is better than nothing. If we got a Resident Evil or DMC rep and Phoenix as a Mii I would be over the ****ing moon because at least they'd be in somehow. I fully intend on buying the Mega Man.EXE Mii again as soon as it comes out.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Did I say it was?
You worded it in a way that makes it sound like we need to be upset if Layton made it in as a Mii Fighter costume.

As someone who doesn't really view things like Assist Trophies, Spirits and Mii costumes as Sakurai getting at fans in a malicious way (as some fans seem to treat them). I'd be hyped to see a Mii Fighter costume for the Prof, especially since I enjoy using my Layton Mii in his Top Hat and business suit outfit, so having a more accurate outfit to use is something I'd be very happy to see. Even if we didn't get the genuine article as a full playable character this time in this game.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Learn how words work.
okay
You worded it in a way that makes it sound like we need to be upset if Layton made it in as a Mii Fighter costume.

As someone who doesn't really view things like Assist Trophies, Spirits and Mii costumes as Sakurai getting at fans in a malicious way (as some fans seem to treat them). I'd be hyped to see a Mii Fighter costume for the Prof, especially since I enjoy using my Layton Mii in his Top Hat and business suit outfit, so having a more accurate outfit to use, is something I'd be very happy to see. Even if we didn't get the genuine article as a full playable character in this game.
It helps that he's one of the few characters whose art style really matches the Mii style. He feels accurate, even if a sword fighting style isn't the best way to represent him.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
okay

It helps that he's one of the few characters whose art style really matches the Mii style. He feels accurate, even if a sword fighting style isn't the best way to represent him.
Yeah his head and facial shape is simplistic enough to where it works for a Mii Fighter costume without looking too awkward. The only really odd thing would be the larger head. The only thing at that, would be the moveset as I doubt Sakurai would represent Layton mainly with a sword weapon and take some more advantage of the other elements present in the series such as the puzzles and gadgets he's built. But still, I suppose it will do for this game if Sakurai has other priorities for playable characters for the DLC period.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Yeah, I think this is a point for his and Phoenix' uniqueness as characters. Of course, characters like MH, Dante and the Resident Evil characters wouldn't be translated 100% well as Mii Costumes, but it would still capture a very small part of their fighting style (MH's large bladed weapons, Dante's Rebellion sword and RE firearms). But I think the professor and our lawyer boy are whacky enough so that the three current Mii playstyles don't have much in common with their potential movesets.

So even if they end up as costumes, I think this contrast would actually be a testament to their support being noticed by Sakurai and the team.

...and to clarify once more, no, I'm not saying MH, DMC or RE characters are defined only by swords and guns.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I think this is a point for his and Phoenix' uniqueness as characters. Of course, characters like MH, Dante and the Resident Evil characters wouldn't be translated 100% well as Mii Costumes, but it would still capture a very small part of their fighting style (MH's large bladed weapons, Dante's Rebellion sword and RE firearms). But I think the professor and our lawyer boy are whacky enough so that the three current Mii playstyles don't have much in common with their potential movesets.

So even if they end up as costumes, I think this contrast would actually be a testament to their support being noticed by Sakurai and the team.

...and to clarify once more, no, I'm not saying MH, DMC or RE characters are defined only by swords and guns.
RE characters as mii gunners are gunna look weird with a buster.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Imagine a mii holding a m1911 pistol lol.
Well, we already gave Kirby a gun, might as well go all the way
*Realistic Gun item confirmed! Carrying the legacy that the Ray Gun couldn't. (Besides the realistic sounding bang in the original Smash 64)

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Not as surreal as Kirby with a gun, tbh.

Probably could pass.
It's not the first time
Oh god, remember the times people modded Yoshi, Kirby and Pikachu into Unreal Tournament and GTA games.

Maybe Vice City was where Yoshi originally commited tax fraud all along.

EDIT: Also, wasn't the original Zapper acessory for the SNES changed because it looked "too much like a real gun"? I remember seeing this somewhere...

Last edited:

Robdelia

Smash Apprentice
The next character is just a sentient, floating glock with googly eyes. Calling it now.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
What if we ended up getting Banjo & Kazooie and Conker?
Or better yet, Banjo & Kazooie and Tiptup the turtle.
I can't even begin to express how incredible you are for even suggesting that.

(Tiptup main in DKR 4lyfe.)

thisjustin2001

Smash Apprentice
No? Maybe you haven't played Pac-Man World 2, or something, but the guy has had tons of moveset potential. That said, I don't really like his moveset.
I'm with you there. My hype was through the roof when I saw Pac-Man was in Smash, and I was especially hyped when he looked the way he did in Pac-Man World 2. I was hoping his moveset was gonna be a mix of moves/references to the original Pac-Man arcade game, and his moves from Pac-Man World 2. If Pac-Man used stuff like the pac-dot chain, the rolling dash and the butt bounce, that would've been so great. Instead, they decided to make his moveset built around his appearance in Pac-Land which in my opinion, is way less interesting than World 2. Actually, most of Pac-Man's representation in Smash as a whole was built around Pac-Land, and really, who even cares or played that game? That was a massive disappointment to me.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm with you there. My hype was through the roof when I saw Pac-Man was in Smash, and I was especially hyped when he looked the way he did in Pac-Man World 2. I was hoping his moveset was gonna be a mix of moves/references to the original Pac-Man arcade game, and his moves from Pac-Man World 2. If Pac-Man used stuff like the pac-dot chain, the rolling dash and the butt bounce, that would've been so great. Instead, they decided to make his moveset built around his appearance in Pac-Land which in my opinion, is way less interesting than World 2. Actually, most of Pac-Man's representation in Smash as a whole was built around Pac-Land, and really, who even cares or played that game? That was a massive disappointment to me.
I like how Pac-Man is currently but I also would've liked Pac-Man World 2 stuff.

Sadly I think Namco ignores the World games because they weren't made by them, at least that's what people have said. This also means we'll never get the cool World music in Smash unless what Namco thought regarding games never really mattered and Sakurai just wanted to make him the Arcade God (which is cool too but why no Pac-Man World 2 music at least :( ).

Last edited:

thisjustin2001

Smash Apprentice
You guys, guess what? It's less than four weeks until we see the next newcomer for the Fighter Pass! I think this e3 will be one for the books as far as Nintendo's concerned.

Robdelia

Smash Apprentice
I like how Pac-Man is currently but I also would've liked Pac-Man World 2 stuff.

Sadly I think Namco ignores the World games because they weren't made by them, at least that's what people have said. This also means we'll never get the cool World music in Smash unless what Namco thought regarding games never really mattered and Sakurai just wanted to make him the Arcade God (which is cool too but why no Pac-Man World 2 music at least :( ).
I'm saying this as someone who has 0 connection to Pacman World (the whole series, not just 2) but it really doesn't seem like there's much to draw from. His up air is the bicycle kick from World 2 and his idle stance (hands on his "hips") looks to be the same from World as well, so there's that. Really the only thing I could see being changed is maybe make his down air the butt bounce? Rev Roll would be a cool side B but his current side B is too iconic to be changed imo. You could argue that they could change his jumping animation but I feel like his current one is pretty good as is.
That being said no Pacman World 1/2/3 songs is a travesty on par with the appalling lack of Wario World music in Smash

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm saying this as someone who has 0 connection to Pacman World (the whole series, not just 2) but it really doesn't seem like there's much to draw from. His up air is the bicycle kick from World 2 and his idle stance (hands on his "hips") looks to be the same from World as well, so there's that. Really the only thing I could see being changed is maybe make his down air the butt bounce? Rev Roll would be a cool side B but his current side B is too iconic to be changed imo. You could argue that they could change his jumping animation but I feel like his current one is pretty good as is.
That being said no Pacman World 1/2/3 songs is a travesty on par with the appalling lack of Wario World music in Smash
I never played Pac-Man World. But I did play Pac-Man 2, and that has some nice ideas for potential stuff. Like the Hang Glider for an Up B. It's not much, but this is honestly one potentially fun option.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I never played Pac-Man World. But I did play Pac-Man 2, and that has some nice ideas for potential stuff. Like the Hang Glider for an Up B. It's not much, but this is honestly one potentially fun option.

Hmmm, I like things like the Hydrant and Trampoline, but I agree that World stuff could have helped. While I like Arcade God Pac, I think Pac-Man deserves to have a moveset that represents multiple iterations of his character, much like Mario.

I think his Smash attacks would be a good place to start. Instead of the ghosts, maybe side smash could be Rev Roll, down smash being the Butt Bounce and up smash could be a variation of Pellet Shoot.

Robdelia

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm, I like things like the Hydrant and Trampoline, but I agree that World stuff could have helped. While I like Arcade God Pac, I think Pac-Man deserves to have a moveset that represents multiple iterations of his character, much like Mario.

I think his Smash attacks would be a good place to start. Instead of the ghosts, maybe side smash could be Rev Roll, down smash being the Butt Bounce and up smash could be a variation of Pellet Shoot.
I like those ideas but I also really like the ghosts being smash attacks. It's hard to say with Pac cause the weirder parts of his kit like fire hydrant and trampoline are so much fun to use that yeah, there's alternatives, but I'd be sad to see it go. Kinda like how I wish they'd redesign Bowser to feel more like... Bowser instead of the weird hulking beast that Sakurai wants Bowser to be, except that Bowser's current moveset is really good.
The real galaxy brain idea, though, is to redesign Pac Man with those ideas listed above, and then introduce Mrs. Pac Man as an echo that has his moveset before it was changed.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I like Pac Man exactly how he is. Then again, I’ve only played Pac-Man and Miss Pac-Man.

I love the ghost being part of his moveset. As well as the fruit he collects.

D

Deleted member

Regarding Pac-Man, I really love how he currently is, not only is he a character a like but he also fits my playstyle perfectly. Though, it feels like they couldn't decide if they wanted to go full on with the Namco arcade game representation or just be a bit more grounded with Pac-Land influence. Personally I think the former could have been a lot of fun, drawing references from Namco's huge arcade catalog. Though being relegated to a taunt is still neat, I think if they decided to take it further it could have been really interesting.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I like those ideas but I also really like the ghosts being smash attacks. It's hard to say with Pac cause the weirder parts of his kit like fire hydrant and trampoline are so much fun to use that yeah, there's alternatives, but I'd be sad to see it go. Kinda like how I wish they'd redesign Bowser to feel more like... Bowser instead of the weird hulking beast that Sakurai wants Bowser to be, except that Bowser's current moveset is really good.
The real galaxy brain idea, though, is to redesign Pac Man with those ideas listed above, and then introduce Mrs. Pac Man as an echo that has his moveset before it was changed.
I like Pac Man exactly how he is. Then again, I’ve only played Pac-Man and Miss Pac-Man.

I love the ghost being part of his moveset. As well as the fruit he collects.
Regarding Pac-Man, I really love how he currently is, not only is he a character a like but he also fits my playstyle perfectly. Though, it feels like they couldn't decide if they wanted to go full on with the Namco arcade game representation or just be a bit more grounded with Pac-Land influence. Personally I think the former could have been a lot of fun, drawing references from Namco's huge arcade catalog. Though being relegated to a taunt is still neat, I think if they decided to take it further it could have been really interesting.
Yeah, I get that. I have a similar feel for Samus and Ganondorf. I think they both need reworks. Ganondorf is more notorious and talked about because he got his original moveset from a character in another game, but Samus's normals have little to do with her games - especially the pre-Smash 64 ones, when she was added. Then again, there are people who like their current playstyles, so... how do you solve that?

Ah, I specifically said that about the ghosts because I think the moves I suggested either have a "charging" motion and thus fit as smash attacks or in Butt Bounce's case, has a similar "hits on all sides" effect to other down smashes. While I think the ghosts are a nice touch, I'd like to see something else since they are already an Assist Trophy (even though the functions are different).

Robdelia

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I get that. I have a similar feel for Samus and Ganondorf. I think they both need reworks. Ganondorf is more notorious and talked about because he got his original moveset from a character in another game, but Samus's normals have little to do with her games - especially the pre-Smash 64 ones, when she was added. Then again, there are people who like their current playstyles, so... how do you solve that?

Ah, I specifically said that about the ghosts because I think the moves I suggested either have a "charging" motion and thus fit as smash attacks or in Butt Bounce's case, has a similar "hits on all sides" effect to other down smashes. While I think the ghosts are a nice touch, I'd like to see something else since they are already an Assist Trophy (even though the functions are different).
Samus IMO needs her fire blast attacks replaced with ice blasts (like how D Samus has electricity blasts) and neutral b changed to a beam like Thoron. Other than that she's set imo.
Ganondorf is a bit weird cause he's honestly the best he's ever been with his sword now. Maybe change his recovery to his silly float he had in OoT, and give him a cape reflector? I know people like the idea of him having his dead man's volley energy ball from OoT, but on the other hand Ganondorf with a projectile sounds terrifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom