• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKX31

Smash Master
I gotta say, an adventure game or visual novel character would probably be one of the least interesting additions they could add. Yes, you can turn any character into a fighter... but that doesn’t mean you should. You can’t lawyer people into pulp, and a lawyer doesn’t fight in any particular way. The same is true for most protagonists in story heavy adventure games. You’d have to dig so deep for a moveset that it’d practically just be a collection of “remember this moment?” clips.

It’s probably the one genre I think lacks potential for movesets. You can’t translate the charm of a writing-reliant genre into a Smash moveset, a game whose crossover elements are entirely based around gameplay. Smash barely HAS writing; you never hear a Snake codec or Palutena’s Guidance unless someone goes out of their way and even longer stunts like IF YOU WANTED TO KNOW HOW TO TALK TO A LADY ASK YOUR MUM are out of place with how wordy they are.

It’s like why you’d never see a Tokimeki Memorial character despite being a super influential series that inspired Persona 3-4-5 and Fire Emblem Awakening-Fates-Three Houses’ social elements that made them hits, the original mix of dating sim and traditional games gameplay that was programmed and written by Iga of Symphony of the Night fame. This is me establishing that it’s a legit game worthy of recognition in at least some form. Yes, there’s legacy, there’s popularity but if Sakurai’s comments mean anything (like his comments about Terry or Heihachi) then gameplay potential is key. I don’t think VNs offer gameplay potential to justify a fighter. (Yes, this is acknowledging that even games like Animal Crossing and Duck Hunt can have fighters)
Umm, the UMVC3 team already created a moveset that lawyers people into a pulp:

Both his appearances in UMVC3 and PXZ2 add magical / special effects to the stuff that he usually does. I imagine most VN / Adventure game characters working in a similar fashion.

And trust me, if Phoenix gets in he better get to do it against Yoshi in the trailer.

Also:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Yeah, I'm not going to get behind Jon or GameXplain as having specifically much more information than most people. Like, yes, Jon may have known something at one point and pushed specifically Epic Yarn on 3DS because of it. But Jon has been very forthcoming for some time since and I can't also name an instance where his "off the wall prediction" specifically came true or otherwise. They constantly have to reaffirm that they don't know anything that special, and I find it disturbing that people will not trust that word. They're basically just another YouTube news channel. Yes, they do have a good relationship with Nintendo because of how they've conducted themselves for some time, but the only reason they're ever going to know much of anything special in advance is almost certainly going to be the standard "pre-release insider/outlet coverage" that happens with all similarly "in Nintendo's good favor" organizations. Which means, they might know something a couple of weeks early at best, but beyond that we shouldn't really expect them to have that much special even if they do have industry contacts.

They would like to keep those industry contacts I imagine, so digging up additional information to become some sort of soothsayer channel also just isn't in their best interest when they do perfectly fine without such things.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Aces maybe, but the rest is clearly Jon joking about Ridley (which is also not really relevant since these comments were made in March 2018 and Ridley wasn't revealed until June 2018 and it's not like Jon seriously vouched for that).

I.D.

Smash Lord
It's honestly amazing just how far plausible deniability can take you. Nintendo could drop Kosmos tomorrow and people would argue it doesn't count because he was talking about the game awards.

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
You could maybe make a case for Jon knowing about Ridley and Mario Tennis but even if you assume they did, that isn’t cause to doubt them when they say they don’t know anything or are just speculating. Having inside info in the past and having inside info now are two different things.

How many times will he have to say it before the message sinks in? Will people finally stop if/when the next fighter isn’t KOS-MOS? And will there still be people childishly suggesting that he brought it on himself?

I.D.

Smash Lord
You could maybe make a case for Jon knowing about Ridley and Mario Tennis but even if you assume they did
What the hell do you mean with "even if you assume they did"? How the hell can you look at those posts and argue Jon wasn't in the know?

that isn’t cause to doubt them when they say they don’t know anything or are just speculating. Having inside info in the past and having inside info now are two different things.
That is fine. I have no issue with people who say we should respect Jon's wishes, even if I do think that it is pretty convenient that you get to leak info to acquire e-fame and then complain about how unfair it is that people bring it up later.

I have issue with people trying to rewrite history and claiming that Jon has never leaked anything, and that his leaker reputation is something that spontaneously generated out of thin air.

Last edited:

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
What the hell do you mean with "even if you assume they did"? How the hell can you look at those posts and argue Jon wasn't in the know?
I wasn't suggesting that he was or wasn't in the know. I was saying to assume they were, for argument's sake, because it's not important to the present and doesn't suggest that he has insider info at this time. I currently see no reason to doubt his word.

If you were wondering, I absolutely do think Jon knew about Aces. Ridley is a bit more up in the air- I don't remember the context of those posts. A lot of resetERA was buzzing about the possibility of him happening, and many members were "Ridley-fying" their avatars in excitement.
That is fine. I have no issue with people who say we should respect Jon's wishes, even if I do think that it is pretty convenient that you get to leak info to acquire e-fame and then complain about how unfair it is that people bring it up later.
How accurate is that, though? How much e-fame has he acquired through (dubious) leaks? Especially the cheeky resetERA posts- how many viewers could that have earned them? I'm gonna be honest and say that I don't watch a lot of GX but I thought people just enjoyed their content. I only ever see a small subset of Smash fans positioning them as leakers.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
>It‘s another ****ing Smashboards thinking Jon / Gamexplain are leakers / have insider info because this site doesn't understand that getting review copies / getting media coverage doesn't means you work with them / they secretly give them **** to leak & just because you predicted something one thing correctly, doesn’t mean you are insider / leaker episode

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Watch this argument come full circle by KOSMOS being FP 5

The thing about Jon knowing info is that he knows people are aware of it and has joked about it to make people believe whatever he's saying, he can just, y'know, make wrong predictions on purpose
I mean... he has. His entire VGA powerpoint ended up being burned to the ground by not getting a single guess right.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Jon and Gamexplain haven't really guessed anything notable right since the FF predictions, especially if we talk about Smash. Hell, their VGA prediction video was completely off-base as they were big in pushing the idea of FP5 being revealed there among other things, yet none of that panned out and they were just as disappointed as the rest of the fans (and sleep-deprived in the case of Jon as he stayed up until 5 AM for it). Whether they knew something or not in the past doesn't mean they absolutely have information in the present, they haven't said anything of interest in a long time nor have they expressed any interest in leaking something in the future. Latching on to every word they say is not healthy, and considering fans have gotten Jon to actively root against a character he wants because people won't leave him alone should show that it's going too far with this.

D

Deleted member

Time to worship your feet, oh great leaker.

Anyway for some reason the idea of Terra Branford seems likely to me, maybe it's cause I have a thing for characters with install supers and ****
If it ain't an FF 7 character, I imagine Terra's the next FF character due to legacy.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Actual real leak: My source, who has TOTALLY (and I swear upon my mum's name that I am 100% truthful about this) successfully called Nintendo making at least one video game in the last decade, has stated that there will be some kind of a direct at some point in the next decade.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
can't believe sakurai didn't announce a new smash character after terry for the rest of the decade

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
I actually dreamed about a Direct last night.

The whole thing was around 3 hours long yet the only things I can remember were the BotW champions in goddamn Mario Odyssey, SNES Romhacks being sold by Nintendo officially, shovelware being proudly displayed and FP5 being Quote from Cave Story who, dissapointed me because I wanted Hollow Knight. And apparently I didn't catch it live cause I also recall seeing a Gamexplain video in my sub feed with some new Rayman render in thumbnail and I tried blocking my view with my own hand to remain unspoiled.

Then I woke up and didn't really know how to feel about it.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I really can't bring myself to care about who FP5 could be anymore and I think that's really sad. Taking at least Verge to be right, a bunch of characters I'd like are out, and assuming it's all third party, then the remaining characters I'd like are also out. I don't want to be apathetic until I get a glimpse, but like the longer the wait the less I care. Hopefully the actual character is worth it, but I just want the pass to end already.

On the subject of FF, I still think Kefka would be the best bet and would be at least somewhat disappointed with Terra. If we have to get a SNES-era Protagonist from FF, I hope for Team FFV as Hero style alts of each other (Bartz, Lenna, Faris, Galuf, I have no idea how Krile would be implemented since she smol) would be absolute hype, considering Final Fantasy V is my favorite of the SNES trilogy. I think Squeenix should focus on other franchises before we resort to double dipping with FF, but considering the low amount of content I wouldn't be that confused if they went back.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
See, this is good and all, but I don't believe leaks unless I see Ken giving a thumbs up in the same screen.

Also, I'm not lying when I say this - I physically cannot pause this video. It won't let me.
The only music he brings is this:

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
I can't believe Saber is getting into Smash to promote the new Cooking Mama game! :p

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
One thing I'd like to know is that if we had an infinite budge meaning infinite newcomers, who would people here add? Only rule is only 5 new franchises, but those can have as many newcomers as you want
italics are characters added that I don't immensely care about personally and are added either for a sense of completion or for fans)
Fawful, Mario Kart Lakitu, Birdo, Toad, Waluigi, Geno
Revali, BoTW Guardian, Ravio, Skull Kid, Midna, Mipha, Sidon, Impa, Ganon, Unique Ganon
DK. Jr, Dixie, Funky
Sylux

Kamek, Boshi
Bandana Dee, Marx, Magalor, Galacta Knight, some random enemy, Adeline, Dark Matter
Krystal, Peppy, Slippy

Typhlosion, Heracross, Scizor, Ampharos, Grovyle, Sceptile, Roserade, Dusknoir, Weavile, Meowstic, Heliolisk, Decidueye, Lurantis, Mimikyu, Lycanroc, Blacephalon, Cursola, Sirfech'd, Dragonite, Raichu, Blastoise, Feraligatr, Blaziken, Deoxys, Infernape, Cynthia, Empoleon, Darkrai, Serperior, Dewott, Zoroark, Delphox, Chesnaught, Hawlucha, Zygarde, Primarina, Tapu Koko, Poipole, Melmetal, Rillaboom, Cindersance, Intelleon, Obstagoon, Toxtricity, Snom, Dracovish, Zacian (I wonder what my favorite series might be?)
Ninten, Kumatora, Porky
(delibrate nothing)
Polar Bear
Stahl, Alm, Celica, Byleth, Cladue, Lyn, Hector, Edlegard, Dimitri
Viridi, Medusa
Ashley, Captain Syrup
Colonel, Raiden, Revolving Ocelot, The Big Boss
Alph, Bulborb

Tails, Eggman, Knuckles, Shadow (with TWO Spindashes and a spring), Shadow (without TWO spindashes and a spring),
K.K Slider, Benjamin, Digby, Tom Nook
Wood Man >:] ,X, Zero, Chill Penguin, Sigma, Dr. Wily, Proto Man, Volnutt, .exe
Doc Lois, King Hippo
Rex, Elma
Mii Mage, Mii Sportsman, Matt
Chun Li, Akuma, Guile
Terra, Sepiroth, Noctis, Chobocobo
Jeanne, Masked Lumen

Octoling, Squid Sisters, Off the Hook
Alucard, Dracula, Trevor
Jack Frost, Yu, P3 Protag, Morgana
Slime, Eric, Sylvando
Mumbo Jumbo, Gruntilda, Conker
Kyo, Iori, Geese, Nakoru, Mai, K', Marco

1. UNDERTALE (Frisk, Sans, Jevil, Mettaton, Papyrus, Ralsei, Asriel, Toriel, Undyne, Asgore, Susie, Kris, Lancer)
2. Scribblenauts (just Maxwell)
3. Ace Attourney (Phoenix, Edgeworth, Von Karma, Maya, Oldbag)
4. Some popular series with lots of fans (main characters)

5. Steven Universe (Steven, Peridot, Bismuth, Spinel, Sardonyx, Garnet, Amythyst, Pearl, Connie, Stevonnie, Lapis, Jasper, Bluebird, White Diamond, Topaz, Rose Quartz, Pink Diamond, Snowflake Obsidian

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
italics are characters added that I don't immensely care about personally and are added either for a sense of completion or for fans)
Fawful, Mario Kart Lakitu, Birdo, Toad, Waluigi, Geno
Revali, BoTW Guardian, Ravio, Skull Kid, Midna, Mipha, Sidon, Impa, Ganon, Unique Ganon
DK. Jr, Dixie, Funky
Sylux

Kamek, Boshi
Bandana Dee, Marx, Magalor, Galacta Knight, some random enemy, Adeline, Dark Matter
Krystal, Peppy, Slippy

Typhlosion, Heracross, Scizor, Ampharos, Grovyle, Sceptile, Roserade, Dusknoir, Weavile, Meowstic, Heliolisk, Decidueye, Lurantis, Mimikyu, Lycanroc, Blacephalon, Cursola, Sirfech'd, Dragonite, Raichu, Blastoise, Feraligatr, Blaziken, Deoxys, Infernape, Cynthia, Empoleon, Darkrai, Serperior, Dewott, Zoroark, Delphox, Chesnaught, Hawlucha, Zygarde, Primarina, Tapu Koko, Poipole, Melmetal, Rillaboom, Cindersance, Intelleon, Obstagoon, Toxtricity, Snom, Dracovish, Zacian (I wonder what my favorite series might be?)
Ninten, Kumatora, Porky
(delibrate nothing)
Polar Bear
Stahl, Alm, Celica, Byleth, Cladue, Lyn, Hector, Edlegard, Dimitri
Viridi, Medusa
Ashley, Captain Syrup
Colonel, Raiden, Revolving Ocelot, The Big Boss
Alph, Bulborb

Tails, Eggman, Knuckles, Shadow (with TWO Spindashes and a spring), Shadow (without TWO spindashes and a spring),
K.K Slider, Benjamin, Digby, Tom Nook
Wood Man >:] ,X, Zero, Chill Penguin, Sigma, Dr. Wily, Proto Man, Volnutt, .exe
Doc Lois, King Hippo
Rex, Elma
Mii Mage, Mii Sportsman, Matt
Chun Li, Akuma, Guile
Terra, Sepiroth, Noctis, Chobocobo
Jeanne, Masked Lumen

Octoling, Squid Sisters, Off the Hook
Alucard, Dracula, Trevor
Jack Frost, Yu, P3 Protag, Morgana
Slime, Eric, Sylvando
Mumbo Jumbo, Gruntilda, Conker
Kyo, Iori, Geese, Nakoru, Mai, K', Marco

1. UNDERTALE (Frisk, Sans, Jevil, Mettaton, Papyrus, Ralsei, Asriel, Toriel, Undyne, Asgore, Susie, Kris, Lancer)
2. Scribblenauts (just Maxwell)
3. Ace Attourney (Phoenix, Edgeworth, Von Karma, Maya, Oldbag)
4. Some popular series with lots of fans (main characters)

5. Steven Universe (Steven, Peridot, Bismuth, Spinel, Sardonyx, Garnet, Amythyst, Pearl, Connie, Stevonnie, Lapis, Jasper, Bluebird, White Diamond, Topaz, Rose Quartz, Pink Diamond, Snowflake Obsidian
why tf we back in September

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Aces maybe, but the rest is clearly Jon joking about Ridley (which is also not really relevant since these comments were made in March 2018 and Ridley wasn't revealed until June 2018 and it's not like Jon seriously vouched for that).
Worth noting is that these teases were before Ultimate was even announced (except the last one). Jon and Nibbel (another ResetEra moderator) had apparently heard that the game was going to be announced alongside Inkling and Ridley, so they began the teasing prematurely. It's not really that unbelievable that they'd know either, it really wasn't a well kept secret (Ridley, no cuts, ICs and Snake were leaked many times on all sorts of different sites), and the only reason there was any doubt was because it was Ridley specifically.

I don't think there's any doubt that Jon has the contacts to know more than your average person, but at the same time I don't think his word is worth reading into too much these days, it's a long time since he's hinted at things in such an upfront manner. In general it seems like not a lot of people are in the know about Smash DLC, you had the E3 pair that was leaked (likely because they featured at such a media big event), but nobody even had a sniff of Joker, and Terry's name was only leaked once Nintendo themselves had already spilled the SNK beans. Everything Smash-related that Jon has talked about since those Ridley hints has sounded like good old regular speculation to me.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Actual real leak: My source, who has TOTALLY (and I swear upon my mum's name that I am 100% truthful about this) successfully called Nintendo making at least one video game in the last decade, has stated that there will be some kind of a direct at some point in the next decade.
She could technically be wrong if, for Nintendo’s next presentations, they decide to rebrand their presentations to have a different name (like how they rebranded the indie presentations to ”Indie World.”)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
For a while, Jon was absolutely being cheeky about unrevealed games and new info. There was Epic Yarn, MM2, and a few others. It also can't be a coincidence that one of Gamexplain's final videos before E3 featured Ridley and Daisy possibly getting in Smash.

That being said, I think he's realized why he should probably avoid being so obvious with his "predictions". If there is something that he knows ahead of time, I don't think he'll spill it to us.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Should've excluded Steven for pretty much all of the list, and then at the end, after the last character have gone ". . . and Steven!".

So is Rose Quartz Pink Diamond's echo or what :4pacman:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom