• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Oh hey we're finally getting more information on SMTV. Only took 3 years...

Sure can't wait for that, Bayonetta 3, and FP5 to totally be shown off in an early January direct that will abolsutely, without a doubt happen. *eye twitch*

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
People are complaining about SMTV, Bayo 3, and Fighter #5 taking forever?

Pikmin 4 would like a word.
Pikmin 4 hasn't ever been formally announced though. It's never had a trailer or press release, they just said they were "working on it" in the most non-committed way ever outside of regular channels of announcements. The rest have a little bit more of an expectation since they've been formally revealed at the very least.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Pikmin 4 hasn't ever been formally announced though. It's never had a trailer or press release, they just said they were "working on it" in the most non-committed way ever outside of regular channels of announcements. The rest have a little bit more of an expectation since they've been formally revealed at the very least.
Miyamoto said Pikmin 4 was in development and very close to completion. That was in 2015.

Later, he assured fans that Pikmin 4 was still in the works. That was in 2017.

Even if it hasn't been officially revealed, Pikmin isn't a very complicated game. It shouldn't rival BotW in development time unless they're extremely understaffed, tried something completely new that requires more time, or scrapped the game and started over without saying anything.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So according to the latest front page article Richter and Dark Samus amiibo don't have compatibility in the 6 1.0 version. That more or less means another patch is due on the 17th at the latest.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
"Go work on Pikmin 4"

"I'm workin on it, let me do the stupid video to tell everyone on YouTube to remove all videos of rom hacks, off the internet! I'll send in detectives, I'll send in police, I'll send everyone in my power!"

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Miyamoto said Pikmin 4 was in development and very close to completion. That was in 2015.

Later, he assured fans that Pikmin 4 was still in the works. That was in 2017.

Even if it hasn't been officially revealed, Pikmin isn't a very complicated game. It shouldn't rival BotW in development time unless they're extremely understaffed, tried something completely new that requires more time, or scrapped the game and started over without saying anything.
Yeah, but, again, I think there's considerably more weight put on something that is formally announced versus informally discussed as in the works. The fact that they've never announced it is the sort of thing that has always taught me not to have confidence in the title (especially since it's one of Miyamoto's babies and he isn't going to just release a new Pikmin without some big changes and developments). Announcements communicate confidence, informal discussion communicates an interest at best. Nintendo almost only announces things when they're ready or when its a much bigger deal to announce they're working on it (Metroid Prime 4 is a clear example). But Pikmin couldn't even clear the announcement stage, so I just wouldn't hold my breath until they're comfortable enough for it to reappear (especially in the wake of Hey Pikmin bombing since I'm sure that didn't help any confidence in the project).

andree123

Smash Ace
Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Oh hey we're finally getting more information on SMTV. Only took 3 years...

Sure can't wait for that, Bayonetta 3, and FP5 to totally be shown off in an early January direct that will abolsutely, without a doubt happen. *eye twitch*
Took me a while to figure out you weren't saying Super Mario TV

toonito

Smash Ace
Source?
EDIT: Never mind here it is (just for you guys if you can't find the source for this.)
https://smashboards.com/threads/predicting-updates-with-amiibo.496615/
Okay, Doc, if we’re going by the two-week gap you’ve provided, than we should see Fighter #5 by January 3rd at the earliest if releasing before like most of the DLC characters, but then there’s Joker, who released after an amiibo wave, so if that was the case, that adds January 31st at the latest. With this in mind, I got myself a little pumped now. We need a new Direct soon, dang it!
combining this info with my current amended amiibo theory which is a DLC character comes out the same month as an Amiibo wave (can be before the Amiibo wave like Banjo and Terry or after the wave like Joker and Hero) FP5 quite possibly will come out before the month's over. Not set in stone but January is looking pretty good for FP5.
basically we have from January 3rd-January 31st for FP5 if the amiibo updates and the amended amiibo theory hold true

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
As a huge Pikmin fan, I must say that remember: Pikmin 3 went through the exact same thing and we eventually got it! It's Miyamoto's passion project rather than a high demand system seller, so the unpredictability makes a little more sense.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I gotta say, an adventure game or visual novel character would probably be one of the least interesting additions they could add. Yes, you can turn any character into a fighter... but that doesn’t mean you should. You can’t lawyer people into pulp, and a lawyer doesn’t fight in any particular way. The same is true for most protagonists in story heavy adventure games. You’d have to dig so deep for a moveset that it’d practically just be a collection of “remember this moment?” clips.

It’s probably the one genre I think lacks potential for movesets. You can’t translate the charm of a writing-reliant genre into a Smash moveset, a game whose crossover elements are entirely based around gameplay. Smash barely HAS writing; you never hear a Snake codec or Palutena’s Guidance unless someone goes out of their way and even longer stunts like IF YOU WANTED TO KNOW HOW TO TALK TO A LADY ASK YOUR MUM are out of place with how wordy they are.

It’s like why you’d never see a Tokimeki Memorial character despite being a super influential series that inspired Persona 3-4-5 and Fire Emblem Awakening-Fates-Three Houses’ social elements that made them hits, the original mix of dating sim and traditional games gameplay that was programmed and written by Iga of Symphony of the Night fame. This is me establishing that it’s a legit game worthy of recognition in at least some form. Yes, there’s legacy, there’s popularity but if Sakurai’s comments mean anything (like his comments about Terry or Heihachi) then gameplay potential is key. I don’t think VNs offer gameplay potential to justify a fighter. (Yes, this is acknowledging that even games like Animal Crossing and Duck Hunt can have fighters)
I guess as the Shiori Fujisaki guy, I should address this.

While it is true that most characters in visual novels are not conventional fighters, that doesn't mean they would transform into boring movesets that do little more than superficially reference the original game. Villager, Isabelle, Duck Hunt, R.O.B, and Wii Fit Trainer all take characters from non-violent source material and make them into some of the most unique fighters on the roster, without having a moveset that was designed by a memberberry. A character doesn't need to have every move be a reference to their source material to be a strong character, they simply have to have some sort of thematic glue holding the moveset together. If that glue is "Lawyer who fights by tripping over himself and essentially getting lucky in the middle of the battle until he can get enough clues to yell at the opponent with energy beams" and all moves in the set follow this idea, then I think that's a successful adaptation.

Likewise, I do believe you could translate the gameplay of a visual novel to a platform fighter. Yes, there's really no way to simulate reading large amounts of text in a platform fighter. However, saying a visual novel character can't work because you can't translate this specific mechanic of their genre is analogous to saying a JRPG character can't work because you can't translate turn-based combat directly to Smash or saying a traditional fighting game character can't work because there's no way to translate traditionally blocking directly to Smash. Even if you can't get every 1-to-1 mechanic from the genre working in Smash, you can work within the character's moveset to translate the general feeling of playing their source material.

Using Shiori Fujisaki as an example, I agree there's no way to accurately translate the dating portions of Tokimemo (when you go to the zoo and answer questions about whether or not you liked the Street Fighter movie and all that). However, that's only one mechanic that makes up Tokimemo's gameplay. As such, you could instead focus on building up a character's stats, similar to how you have to have certain stat requirements to meet girls and get their endings. As such, Shiori could be a very weak character statistically, with her specials permanently boosting stats for a stock and servings as keep-away tools to ensure she can get off these buffs. As such, Shiori's general gameplay would mostly be based around playing keep-away and spacing yourself in such a way that you can buff yourself until your stats are strong enough to fight directly. This matches the general gameplay of Tokimeki Memorial, where the challenge is managing your limited time and resources to ensure that both your character's stats and the girl's affection are high enough to get the particular ending.

I can't speak too much on Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton, seeing how I've only played the former series. However, I'm sure there's supporters in the thread who could better explain how the gameplay of those games could translate to Smash.

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I guess as the Shiori Fujisaki guy, I should address this.

While it is true that most characters in visual novels are not conventional fighters, that doesn't mean they would transform into boring movesets that do little more than superficially reference the original game. Villager, Isabelle, Duck Hunt, R.O.B, and Wii Fit Trainer all take characters from non-violent source material and make them into some of the most unique fighters on the roster, without having a moveset that was designed by a memberberry. A character doesn't need to have every move be a reference to their source material to be a strong character, they simply have to have some sort of thematic glue holding the moveset together. If that glue is "Lawyer who fights by tripping over himself and essentially getting lucky in the middle of the battle until he can get enough clues to yell at the opponent with energy beams" and all moves in the set follow this idea, then I think that's a successful adaptation.

Likewise, I do believe you could translate the gameplay of a visual novel to a platform fighter. Yes, there's really no way to simulate reading large amounts of text in a platform fighter. However, saying a visual novel character can't work because you can't translate this specific mechanic of their genre is analogous to saying a JRPG character can't work because you can't translate turn-based combat directly to Smash or saying a traditional fighting game character can't work because there's no way to translate traditionally blocking directly to Smash. Even if you can't get every 1-to-1 mechanic from the genre working in Smash, you can work within the character's moveset to translate the general feeling of playing their source material.

Using Shiori Fujisaki as an example, I agree there's no way to accurately translate the dating portions of Tokimemo (when you go to the zoo and answer questions about whether or not you liked the Street Fighter movie and all that). However, that's only one mechanic that makes up Tokimemo's gameplay. As such, you could instead focus on building up a character's stats, similar to how you have to have certain stat requirements to meet girls and get their endings. As such, Shiori could be a very weak character statistically, with her specials permanently boosting stats for a stock and servings as keep-away tools to ensure she can get off these buffs. As such, Shiori's general gameplay would mostly be based around playing keep-away and spacing yourself in such a way that you can buff yourself until your stats are strong enough to fight directly. This matches the general gameplay of Tokimeki Memorial, where the challenge is managing your limited time and resources to ensure that both your character's stats and the girl's affection are high enough to get the particular ending.

I can't speak too much on Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton, seeing how I've only played the former series. However, I'm sure there's supporters in the thread who could better explain how the gameplay of those games could translate to Smash.
Thematic glue like how Sakurai designed Zero Suit, Snake, Ike from this doc for some game dev conference or something to that extent http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/07/11/gdc-2008-translation/ it’s a key aspect of how Sakurai designs characters and why there movesets work and are not just some scrimped up mess which only pays homage to the source material instead of Smash itself. Although conceptual names and general design glue aren’t exactly the same the design glue usually is relative to the conceptual name he gives characters so I thought I’d mention this anyway

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Umm, the UMVC3 team already created a moveset that lawyers people into a pulp:

Both his appearances in UMVC3 and PXZ2 add magical / special effects to the stuff that he usually does. I imagine most VN / Adventure game characters working in a similar fashion.
That moveset is lame.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wonder what all will be in what is looking more and more like a January Smash Direct (besides Fighter 5)
Animal Crossing New Horizons will be the headliner I'd say.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Wonder what all will be in what is looking more and more like a January Smash Direct (besides Fighter 5)
A smash direct? It’s unlikely that we are gonna get a smash dedicated presentation. One fighter doesn’t seem enough for its own direct. Probably announced in a general one then release with a showcase video shortly after

Eldrake

Smash Lord
A smash direct? It’s unlikely that we are gonna get a smash dedicated presentation. One fighter doesn’t seem enough for its own direct. Probably announced in a general one then release with a showcase video shortly after
I could see a Smash direct happening if there's a bonus DLC character (in the same vein as Piranha Plant) and they want to reveal one of the upcoming DLC fighters, but I think we will just get FP5 with maybe a small chance of a post-FP character announcement.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Salutations, everyone! I live (for what I assume is most people here) in the future of 2020.

It's not that great. We still don't know who FP5 is.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I was saying it under the assumption that they would also tease one or two of the post pass characters

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I was saying it under the assumption that they would also tease one or two of the post pass characters
Judging by the fact that we know very little about 2020 I think that makes a general direct more likely and we would probably receive just the one in a general one

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
There is no way we are getting a Smash dedicated direct when we only know of three first party games set to release in 2020, two of which (TMS and ACNH) will be out by the end of March. At best we will get a Sakurai presentation for fighter 5 right after the direct is done airing.

D

Deleted member

You know it is likely that a direct is likely in January imo

and from what the smt Twitter said Seems SMT V wil finally get its spotlight again in over 3 years of waiting. likely in a direct...

Only to be overshadowed by halo the master chief
switch port lol

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Screw it, here's some predictions I have from the top of my head for the possible January direct

Opens with a trailer for Bayonetta 3, we get out first look at gameplay, story details, and Bayonetta's deign set to release in July.
Next up is footage for Rune Factory 5 and the NA release date for Rune Factory 4 Special.
New details on Animal Crossing New Horizons that only takes up a couple minutes.
Surprise AAA third party port that catches everyone off guard, that it could run on the Switch.
Fighter 5 happens next and has nothing to said with what I just said above and Sakurai presentation on fighter 5 right after the direct.
Xenoblade Chronicles Definition Edition details which reveals they are indeed restoring the Bionis Shoulder, tweaks they made to the gameplay, and new story content that takes place during and after the original game. Revealed for a June release.
Wii U port up next being either Pikmin 3 or 3D World.
Quick third party montage which reveals the release date for The Outer Worlds, Doom Eternal, and even some more classic Star Wars games like Battlefront 2 2005 and KOTOR1 are getting Switch ports in the vein of Jedi Outcast.
SMTV trailer with a 2020 date
Direct ends with a BOTW2 trailer confirming a 2020 date

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Screw it, here's some predictions I have from the top of my head for the possible January direct

Opens with a trailer for Bayonetta 3, we get out first look at gameplay, story details, and Bayonetta's deign set to release in July.
Next up is footage for Rune Factory 5 and the NA release date for Rune Factory 4 Special.
New details on Animal Crossing New Horizons that only takes up a couple minutes.
Surprise AAA third party port that catches everyone off guard, that it could run on the Switch.
Fighter 5 happens next and has nothing to said with what I just said above and Sakurai presentation on fighter 5 right after the direct.
Xenoblade Chronicles Definition Edition details which reveals they are indeed restoring the Bionis Shoulder, tweaks they made to the gameplay, and new story content that takes place during and after the original game. Revealed for a June release.
Wii U port up next being either Pikmin 3 or 3D World.
Quick third party montage which reveals the release date for The Outer Worlds, Doom Eternal, and even some more classic Star Wars games like Battlefront 2 2005 and KOTOR1 are getting Switch ports in the vein of Jedi Outcast.
SMTV trailer with a 2020 date
Direct ends with a BOTW2 trailer confirming a 2020 date
[cries in Xenoblade X and Fatal Frame V]

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
[cries in Xenoblade X and Fatal Frame V]
Didn't Monolith Soft come out and say a Xenoblade Chronicles X port was too expensive for them to do? I mean, I'd love it on Switch since that would then mean the entire Xenoblade Chronicles series would be playable on the best console at that point... but I'm not holding my breath after reading those quotes (and also I expect it might be a ways away even if they do make a port given the focus will likely be Definitive Edition for the foreseeable future).

D

Deleted member

Morning everyone.

We're in January already people. Hope we finally get our final fighter this month, and then we'll see what Sakurai has in store.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
What does everyone here think about Amiibo Theory?

Imo, it has proven to be infallible so far.

https://smashboards.com/threads/predicting-updates-with-amiibo.496615/

And taking this into consideration, I definitely think a early January reveal could happen.
Amiibo Theory is unironically, the only fan theory that's been proven true over the course of Smash Ultimate's speculation (well that and Box Theory but yeah).

And well, Color Theory only by a technicality that the characters that were selected were each given a different color, not because Sakurai was picking characters to suit each color lmao.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Amiibo Theory is unironically, the only fan theory that's been proven true over the course of Smash Ultimate's speculation (well that and Box Theory but yeah).

And well, Color Theory only by a technicality that the characters that were selected were each given a different color, not because Sakurai was picking characters to suit each color lmao.
And just because you said it, it might get broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom