• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Isn’t Joker’s gun technically an airsoft gun?
It's either that or a replica firearm

Anyone who tries to use "family unfriendlyness" as a reason why a character won't be in Smash is a moron.

P5's plot is kicked off by **** ffs
Let's also not forget that the first couple trailers for Smash have the Mario bros getting brutally murdered.

If Sakurai is told he can add a character from Jojo into Smash you bet your *** he'd do it.

It's honestly the next threshold to break. But it seems so so unlikely due to how much bigger anime is compared to Smash. It would need to be a higher up that's a Smash fan to break that barrier.
Then again, I'm pretty sure characters from anime could be the theme for an entirely separate platform fighter (provided Bamco doesn't make garbage like Jump Force again, pretty sure that only became one of their top sellers because of all the Shonen Jump characters in there)

Let's be real here we aren't really progressing with this guy and we aren't convinced by him. Let's just move on.
Yeah, speculation is a lot more fun than listening to someone complain about M rated characters in Smash when we crossed that bridged a decade ago (and every video game character has a place, regardless of if their games are kid friendly or not)

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
every video game character has a place
You don't seriously believe that.

Let's also not forget that the first couple trailers for Smash have the Mario bros getting brutally murdered.
It wasn't that brutal.

It really, really wasn't.

"Murdered" is stretching it, too. They were "KOed" at worst, because that's how Smash works.

Last edited:

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
The latest touhou fighting game Antinomy of Common Flowers is getting ported to the switch. Given Touhou's massive popularity in Japan and the growing western fanbase, there really is no reason to count out Reimu Hakurei from making to Ultimate as a playable character and future Smash titles. Plus due to Touhou's long history and many consider Touhou to be the most iconic indie video game series ever made, it is extremely likely that they would be the indie rep in the future. I understand that Shantae and a few other indie titles may be more popular in the western gaming scene and since some are already spirits, it may be more likely for her and a few others to be added before Reimu. Still the chances of Touhou getting a playable character will be very high now, the only thing that would prevent her is ZUN not allowing it. Although the most likely candidate is Reimu, its possible that Marisa, the 2nd most popular touhou character, may also get added in the next smash title as a playable character assuming Reimu gets in and support for more Touhou in smash is still strong. I just don't see western indie games like Undertale, Minecraft, Cuphead, Meat Boy, and some others to getting a playable character before Touhou. The popularity of Touhou in Japan alone is so large that at least one character definitely deserves a spot on the roster before western indie games get considered. Do you agree that Reimu is a near guarantee for a playable character in the future now that an official Touhou game will be on a nintendo console?

Reimu getting 50th spot in the video is a strong start. It is still surprising that for video game series with a fandom that is well known in the gaming industry for their music, fanart, fanmade games, animation, their own convention, and dedicated fans she didn't get more votes overall. But we all have our own preferences and i respect 100% respect that.
As for other possible characters, rather see more characters from japanese video games than characters from video games made in the western countries. If games from western countries do get considered, then they, imo, should get at least assist trophies or mii costumes instead of playable characters.

Since Visual Novels are considered a game genre, do you guys think its possible some characters from very popular visual novels or series that began as visual novel (Example: Fate and Melty Blood) can be considered to be represented in the future? If so any particular ones that deserve to be the main visual novel rep?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...Dude, Luigi was outright killed. He literally got his soul stolen. That's pretty much the definition of dead. His soul was not put back either.

Mario was implied to be brutally murdered by Ridley. MegaMan was directly killed by the dragon. No implications in that case.

They were intended directly to be violent and horrific. Just not with any blood/gore which would go too far.

Vrbtm

...Dude, Luigi was outright killed. He literally got his soul stolen. That's pretty much the definition of dead. His soul was not put back either.

Mario was implied to be brutally murdered by Ridley. MegaMan was directly killed by the dragon. No implications in that case.

They were intended directly to be violent and horrific. Just not with any blood/gore which would go too far.
I'm sorry, I just can't take that seriously. Absolutely wild, a kid's imagination is.

Have your fun, I guess.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The latest touhou fighting game Antinomy of Common Flowers is getting ported to the switch. Given Touhou's massive popularity in Japan and the growing western fanbase, there really is no reason to count out Reimu Hakurei from making to Ultimate as a playable character and future Smash titles. Plus due to Touhou's long history and many consider Touhou to be the most iconic indie video game series ever made, it is extremely likely that they would be the indie rep in the future. I understand that Shantae and a few other indie titles may be more popular in the western gaming scene and since some are already spirits, it may be more likely for her and a few others to be added before Reimu. Still the chances of Touhou getting a playable character will be very high now, the only thing that would prevent her is ZUN not allowing it. Although the most likely candidate is Reimu, its possible that Marisa, the 2nd most popular touhou character, may also get added in the next smash title as a playable character assuming Reimu gets in and support for more Touhou in smash is still strong. I just don't see western indie games like Undertale, Minecraft, Cuphead, Meat Boy, and some others to getting a playable character before Touhou. The popularity of Touhou in Japan alone is so large that at least one character definitely deserves a spot on the roster before western indie games get considered. Do you agree that Reimu is a near guarantee for a playable character in the future now that an official Touhou game will be on a nintendo console?

Reimu getting 50th spot in the video is a strong start. It is still surprising that for video game series with a fandom that is well known in the gaming industry for their music, fanart, fanmade games, animation, their own convention, and dedicated fans she didn't get more votes overall. But we all have our own preferences and i respect 100% respect that.
As for other possible characters, rather see more characters from japanese video games than characters from video games made in the western countries. If games from western countries do get considered, then they, imo, should get at least assist trophies or mii costumes instead of playable characters.

Since Visual Novels are considered a game genre, do you guys think its possible some characters from very popular visual novels or series that began as visual novel (Example: Fate and Melty Blood) can be considered to be represented in the future? If so any particular ones that deserve to be the main visual novel rep?
I think they're very possible to be represented.

If that ever turns out to be the case, I can see either Saber from F/SN or Phoenix Wright from AA making it and representing the genre.

D

Deleted member

Can't comment on Tohou as I'm quite ignorant of it aside from being an indie success.

Fate is a curious example as the first iteration of the VN is an eroge, so dunno how that reputation can affect the franchise. Although it has outgrown the eroge part a bit from my knowledge, as I believe it is a relatively successful franchise recently due the mobile game.

Doubt that there's specifically a spot for a VN rep, but I can see VN characters joining the roster with no issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I'm sorry, I just can't take that seriously. Absolutely wild, a kid's imagination is.
King DeDeDe got smacked right on the back of his head by K Rool before going off screen. For all we know, he died from serious head trauma afterwards.

As Isabelle got her letter, Pete left the room, never to be seen again. He could be dead for all we know.

Little Mac and Ken got thrown into LED screens and seemingly evaporated through thin air. They're actually dead.

Smash is no joke. People ****ing die man.

Vrbtm

King DeDeDe got smacked right on the back of his head by K Rool before going off screen. For all we know, he died from serious head trauma afterwards.

As Isabelle got her letter, Pete left the room, never to be seen again. He could be dead for all we know.

Little Mac and Ken got thrown into LED screens and seemingly evaporated through thin air. They're actually dead.

We've just been playing as everyone's ghosts the entire time.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Eh, King Dedede might've actually been killed. Rest, not really among your examples.

Regardless, Luigi was directly killed by Death(when Death grabs your soul, you're objectively dead. It's how it works. That's not disputable). MegaMan literally got a tail through his body, and was never seen again. Pretty much treated as dead. And then Mario got apparently killed by Ridley, who swung his hat around. This is the only one not as clear. It's like King Dedede, implied to be killed.

Regardless, it's notable the trailers have different content ratings due to not being SSB cutscenes. They're meant to be way more violent/horrifying and depict extreme acts of violence or literal cases of death to show off the uniqueness of the characters. Castlevania is full of monsters who gladly will kill in canon(besides, you know, Death). Ridley has murdered Samus' parents in canon(as the Manga is officially canon), and the actual deaths of MegaMan and apparently Mario have some similarities to the Manga panels, which further leads to them being fully killed as the intention of that scene. Plus, it helps Ridley's trailer was designed like a horror movie as is. And that very often has a ton of deaths, offscreen or otherwise.

Vrbtm

Regardless, Luigi was directly killed by Death(when Death grabs your soul, you're objectively dead. It's how it works. That's not disputable). MegaMan literally got a tail through his body, and was never seen again. Pretty much treated as dead. And then Mario got apparently killed by Ridley, who swung his hat around. This is the only one not as clear. It's like King Dedede, implied to be killed.
Point being that these are all the most unbrutal and most family friendly ways to "kill" a character imaginable, and are horrible points to make if you're trying to argue that Smash is this epic mature game for adults that should have all these M-rated characters, because look at this BRUTAL MASSACRE WHERE MARIO LITERALLY GETS HIS HEAD RIPPED IN HALF OH MY GOD.

Come on now.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

Don’t forget Dedede got the ever loving **** smacked out of him. Probably suffered severe claw gashes along his face not to mention severe blunt force trauma both the body and the head due to crashing afterwards. And due to the remoteness of the jungle, I doubt anyone was able to help the mortally injured penguin (Cranky ain’t gonna do it, that’s for sure).

And Little Mac and Ken both suffered grave bodily harm while being launched into the display screen which not only propably impaled them with razor sharp debris from the crash but third degree burns due to electronics malfunctioning. Not to mention that they were also probably electrocuted as well due to circuitry.

The only trailer that result in a character getting brutally killed or horribly maimed was Isabelle’s. Unless you count the crushing depression that the oppressed Tom Nook suffered after his dreams of branching out into Smash was snuffed out. And then tasked with managing some town while it’s mayor and assistant is away. Horribly tragic.

Smash ain’t not joke.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Dedede is likely fine tbh. He's survived far worst plus he's fought Kirby a few times whose taken on planetary and beyond level threats.

Last edited:

Vrbtm

Dedede is likely fine tbh. He's survived far worst plus dude can tangle with Kirby who faces planetary and solar system threats all the time.
No they're all dead. Everyone's dead. Smash is the most epic and brutal game in existence. Also add Doom Slayer please Sakurai thank you.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Can't comment on Tohou as I'm quite ignorant of it aside from being an indie success.

Fate is a curious example as the first iteration of the VN is an eroge, so dunno how that reputation can affect the franchise. Although it has outgrown the eroge part a bit from my knowledge, as I believe it is a relatively successful franchise recently due the mobile game.

Doubt that there's specifically a spot for a VN rep, but I can see VN characters joining the roster with no issue.
Yeah and besides, as mentioned earlier, Nintendo doesn't seem to have any problems with cheesecake on their platform (hell, if they're willing to hire hentai artists for character design, I don't think they have a problem with seeing how much **** Smash can get away with and still keep an E10 rating)

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Don’t forget Dedede got the ever loving **** smacked out of him. Probably suffered severe claw gashes along his face not to mention severe blunt force trauma both the body and the head due to crashing afterwards. And due to the remoteness of the jungle, I doubt anyone was able to help the mortally injured penguin (Cranky ain’t gonna do it, that’s for sure).

And Little Mac and Ken both suffered grave bodily hard while being launched into the display screen which not only propably impaled them with razor sharp debris from the crash but third degree burns due to electronics malfunctioning. Not to mention that they were also probably electrocuted as well due to circuitry.

Smash ain’t not joke.
I'm only going for obvious cases where they were killed, not potential ones here.

Cause it's pretty damn obvious what the intention of those trailers were. Choose a few characters to outright kill(in what is as brutal as possible to show off the characterization well).

I'm iffy on if King Dedede was killed or not, as said before. Little Mac and Ken seem fine to me within the narrative.

And no, obviously mocking me when I noticed some obvious in-trailer deaths won't work. Yes, some died. At least 2, possibly 4. Ken/Little Mac are the only stretches here. :/

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I'm only going for obvious cases where they were killed, not potential ones here.

Cause it's pretty damn obvious what the intention of those trailers were. Choose a few characters to outright kill(in what is as brutal as possible to show off the characterization well).

I'm iffy on if King Dedede was killed or not, as said before. Little Mac and Ken seem fine to me within the narrative.

And no, obviously mocking me when I noticed some obvious in-trailer deaths won't work. Yes, some died. At least 2, possibly 4. Ken/Little Mac are the only stretches here. :/
Best I can say for Ken and Little Mac is hospitalized after getting launched at high speeds into a Jumbo Tron

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Wait, what?
Who do you think designed a lot of the characters in the Pokemon anime, especially the female characters? A previous hentai artist. In fact, her goal is the main female was usually intended to be a bit of eye candy. Which, imo, isn't a good thing.

I don't remember any other examples, though. I think Xenoblade had some?

Best I can say for Ken and Little Mac is hospitalized after getting launched at high speeds into a Jumbo Tron
That I can agree with.

...And I"m watching a LP of a Zelda Classic game that Death is in. Welp.

Vrbtm

How about zero? Because you can still play as all of them.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

PHOENIX WRIGHT AND LAYTON MAN THEY'RE THE ONLY CHOICES

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

Well, they could of been ok but do we know the recovery response time? I mean, if they were rescued within 15 minutes, I’m sure they probably suffered a few broken bones and burns but I don’t see any firefighters and paramedics rushing to the scene. Either it wasn’t that big of a deal or know one cared. Which leads me to believe that they were left their handing amongst short circuiting wiring, fire, and debris which could potentially result in a loss of life. Same goes with a Dedede. They could of just forgot him and left him to suffer for days before finally perishing in the hot tropical sun (a death sentence for the penguin that’s for sure).

But yeah, the Mario Bros. and Mega Man were the only ones who actually died on screen. I was kind of going at a “horribly killed/critically injured with potential death resulting off screen” angle after piggybacking from that post. Mine is more about character death speculation.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, they could of been ok but do we know the response time. I mean, if they were rescued within 15 minutes, I’m sure they probably suffered a few broken bones and burns but I don’t see any firefighters and paramedics rushing to the scene. Either it wasn’t that big of a deal or know one cared. Which leads me to believe that they were left their handing amongst short circuiting wiring, fire, and debris which could potentially result in a loss of life. Same goes with a Dedede. They could of just forgot him and left him to suffer for days before finally perishing in the hot tropical sun (a death sentence for the penguin that’s for sure).

But yeah, the Mario Bros. and Mega Man were the only ones who actually died on screen. I was kind of going at a “horribly killed/critically injured with potential death resulting off screen” angle after piggybacking from that post. Mine is more about character death speculation.
Yeah, true.

I like that the trailers(which isn't Smash Ultimate's gameplay in itself, so they're effectively different stories from Smash Ultimate. Kind of like how the matches in multiplayer are a completely different thing from the SSE. Different stories), though I wish we had another violent one or at the very least saw Isabelle doing some remote battling besides a slight bit of moves. Not asking for her to be murdered or anything even majorly violent, but they could've showed off a bit more.

In fact, she's the only trailer that wasn't at least slightly violent at all. Joker's wasn't much either, if I remember right. PP had a few moments, including biting Mario's butt. He was actually the only light depiction of violence, wasn't he? Just making some characters dizzy.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Yeah, true.

I like that the trailers(which isn't Smash Ultimate's gameplay in itself, so they're effectively different stories from Smash Ultimate. Kind of like how the matches in multiplayer are a completely different thing from the SSE. Different stories), though I wish we had another violent one or at the very least saw Isabelle doing some remote battling besides a slight bit of moves. Not asking for her to be murdered or anything even majorly violent, but they could've showed off a bit more.

In fact, she's the only trailer that wasn't at least slightly violent at all. Joker's wasn't much either, if I remember right. PP had a few moments, including biting Mario's butt. He was actually the only light depiction of violence, wasn't he? Just making some characters dizzy.
Guess we'll wait for the next newcomer trailer

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Guess we'll wait for the next newcomer trailer
All the more reason I'd love someone like Scorpion or Fulgore to show up. Though if we got someone like Steve or Banjo Kazooie, I can't imagine them being super violent. More along what PP was.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Gruntilda takes Zero Suit Samus and cages her up. She then proceeds to drain her beauty and youth of her; leaving a shriveled up bag of leathery skin and bones while Gruntilda becomes a youthful and attractive witch. She starts laughing maniacally while Zero Suits draws out one rattled breath.

Que Banjo and Kazooie entering in.

Last scene cuts of Gruntilda being crushed by Samus’s gunship piloted by Banjo. Zero Suits shriveled corpse still visible in the cage in the background.

Last edited:

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
It will be interesting though if AoCF's port to the switch is completed before E3. Then it may possible that Reimu could get announced as one of the playable DLC characters, however, not exactly confident the crowd would be very excited about it since they will most likely expect more characters from games that have a decent history with Nintendo. Definitely would give Touhou a larger boost for the western fanbase which i think ZUN is trying to do at the moment with allowing Touhou having official games on Steam and multiple fangames already on the switch. So i highly doubt ZUN would turn down the idea of Touhou getting represented in Smash at some point. By the way for the ones who don't know much about Touhou, ZUN is the creator of the series and he owns all of the rights for the characters, so its ultimately up to him whether Sakurai gets the green light or not. Won't be surprised if Sakurai did seriously consider adding Reimu or Marisa in the past before.

I won't be surprised if Phoenix Wright gets in eventually. Saber from Fate (pls no emiya) is possible. Only issue with Melty getting a rep is that both Fate and Melty are both made by Type-Moon, so maybe a debate on that.

We know they won't add characters from Anime or any cartoons, but since RWBY characters are in blazblue now, perhaps a slight chance one of them could make it for consideration at some point due to RWBY's popularity. Although i would like to see it happen, its a long shot

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Gruntilda takes Zero Suit Samus and cages her up. She then proceeds to drain her beauty and youth of her; leaving a shriveled up bag of leathery skin and bones while Gruntilda becomes a youthful and attractive witch. She starts laughing maniacally while Zero Suits draws out one rattled breath.

Last scene cuts of Gruntilda being crushed by Samus’s gunship piloted by Banjo. Zero Suits shriveled corpse still visible in the cage in the background.
Damnit, Venus. XD

...Now make Steve sound awesome like that.

Vrbtm

How do I dislike posts?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Point being that these are all the most unbrutal and most family friendly ways to "kill" a character imaginable, and are horrible points to make if you're trying to argue that Smash is this epic mature game for adults that should have all these M-rated characters, because look at this BRUTAL MASSACRE WHERE MARIO LITERALLY GETS HIS HEAD RIPPED IN HALF OH MY GOD.

Come on now.
It's heavily suggested, especially with the sound that plays with what's shown, that Mario's skull was crushed. Ridley straight-up impaled Mega Man. Both things would be very bloody in real life (well except Mega Man is a robot but still), not to mention they're still horrible deaths regardless.

It's fine to have your own opinions, but I'm getting the sense that you're just treating what everyone else says as inferior stuff unless they actually agree with you.

Last edited:

Vrbtm

User was warned for this post
User was warned for this post for ABSOLUTELY NO REASON.

It's heavily suggested, especially with the sound that plays with what's shown, that Mario's skull was crushed.
...Oooooooooooooooooooooookay then.

How do I dislike posts?
I'm getting the sense that you're just treating what everyone else says as inferior stuff unless they actually agree with you.
You're getting the sense that I'm doing this completely normal thing that everybody does, are you now?

Last edited:

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
How do you guys feel about the possibility of Linkle or Lana from Hyrule Warriors representing the zelda series in future smash games as playable characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom