• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I have played plenty of non-Nintendo games, but I still understand why a site like this would primarily care about Nintendo. I'm not gonna enter a KFC and complain that people in there don't want to eat burgers.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I have played plenty of non-Nintendo games, but I still understand why a site like this would primarily care about Nintendo. I'm not gonna enter a KFC and complain that people in there don't want to eat burgers.
That's also fair, but I think people are missing out by not branching out, something that doesn't exactly require getting another console on top of your Nintendo one.

I mean ****, Mario and Metroid are among my favorite series, and I like Kirby's main games quite a bit, so I get the appeal. But sticking to one company isn't really fun to me. Be it Nintendo, Capcom, Activision, Rare, Namco and so on.

That said, I was happy to see that Garou was one of the most downloaded titles on Nitendo's E-shop. At least some people are giving SNK a shot. If I get another SNK game I'll get it too, since I bought KOF98 for the Roster size and 3V3 stuff. But Garou could be my 1V1 choice. Played it a bit a long time ago.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I was happy to see that Garou was one of the most downloaded titles on Nitendo's E-shop
I prefer playing games like that on Fightcade, but I still contributed to those sales as a little "thank you" letter to SNK.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So I was watching a let's play of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, and it got me thinking about how the game's mechanics could translate into Super Smash Bros. His Down Special would be searching for evidence, just like in Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, but instead of firing nebulous projectiles, they power up Phoenix Wright's Neutral Special: Push/Present. With little to no evidence, Phoenix Wright will use Push, producing a "HOLD IT!" speech bubble that deals moderate shield damage. With a enough evidence, Push becomes Present, sending a large "OBJECTION!" speech bubble that causes an immediate shield break (whether the opponent was shielding or not) or reflect projectiles (this reflector would be extremely powerful and incapable of breaking), but if you miss or the attack is reflected, Phoenix Wright is penalized with damage and knockback instead. This can be fatal.

Don't really know what the rest of his kit would be like but I'd imagine his gameplan would be punish and read based.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
No, it wouldn't. I would be Piranha Plant II. The sequel to the worst roster pick in the history of Smash.
Aight, buddy I don't like PP at all either but I think you're taking the whole thing a little too personally. There are people out there that love PP and would love a Chain Chomp as well. You gotta respect that.

StormC

Smash Hero
Piranha Plant is less novel if there are other generic enemy fighters on the roster.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
No, it wouldn't. I would be Piranha Plant II. The sequel to the worst roster pick in the history of Smash.
Reactions like this are why I like to pretend it's the reason they did it and it gives me life.

PP is a great pick for exactly that reason. There's no other fighter like em, can't deny that.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
It saddens me that poor Bandana Dee is not even in Smash Bros as a fighter yet.
(It annoys me that series like Mario, Pokemon and Fire Emblem get new characters every time while others like Kirby, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Wario, Yoshi and F-Zero get ignored and neglected too much, remember this just my opinion.)
*sad Bandana Dee noises*

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
(It annoys me that series like Mario, Pokemon and Fire Emblem get new characters every time while others like Kirby, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Wario, Yoshi and F-Zero get ignored and neglected too much, remember this just my opinion.)
Brawl must've been a fever dream, then.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Surprised no one made any jokes when the post count hit 69,420. Seriously, it's the funny sex number and the funny weed number.

In other news, there was apparently a Verge post over 20 hours ago, but I don't know the context of it since it seems the thread it got posted to was deleted

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
After the harresment and death threats poor Sakurai got last year, I didn't want him in Smash.
Also It's Merry Cronchmoose tomorrow.
To be fair that was an exaggeration. It was really just these two or three kids that made this image of Waluigi relating to 9/11.

NixF

Smash Cadet
Surprised no one made any jokes when the post count hit 69,420. Seriously, it's the funny sex number and the funny weed number.

In other news, there was apparently a Verge post over 20 hours ago, but I don't know the context of it since it seems the thread it got posted to was deleted
Judging by his posts history, it's this one: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78276135
His post should be the 13th.

Problem is I can't find an archived version of that page anywhere (as expected). Not in wayback machine, not in archive.is, not in google webcache...
Anyway, it could be something trivial like normal chitchat and whatnot.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Sakurai said in Yosupi Santa livestream that his team really doesn't have budgets. The MC Yosuke Saito from SE laughed "Of course you have some! How much did you sell tho!" but Sakurai responded like "Still, we're just selling mere DLCs only costs around 500 yen so...", also he said that he wouldn't be showing himself in front of camera if he really have enough budgets.
The livestream was super interesting to watch. I think someone will translate Sakurai part later. Sakurai said he writes daily reports of his inner thoughts and games he played that day, and let his staffs to read them freely anytime. He said this might be fun if he does this on his Twitter but people go crazy for smash everytime when he tweets anything so he doesn't really want to tweet things these days.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Sakurai said in Yosupi Santa livestream that his team really doesn't have budgets. The MC Yosuke Saito from SE laughed "Of course you have some! How much did you sell tho!" but Sakurai responded like "Still, we're just selling mere DLCs only costs around 500 yen so...", also he said that he wouldn't be showing himself in front of camera if he really have enough budgets.
The livestream was super interesting to watch. I think someone will translate Sakurai part later. Sakurai said he writes daily reports of his inner thoughts and games he played that day, and let his staffs to read them freely anytime. He said this might be fun if he does this on his Twitter but people go crazy for smash everytime when he tweets anything so he doesn't really want to tweet things these days.
I would be really interested in seeing what Sakurai had to say. I mean the man's philosophy on game development and other things.

Too bad character stans have to constantly harass game developers like Sakurai, Harada, & Boon. This is why we can't have nice things.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
In regards to Bandana Dee: I'm surprised he hasn't made it in yet. He is one of the most requested first party characters and with the Kirby series being one of Sakurai's babies, you would think he would have introduced another Kirby character by now. Especially since we haven't gotten a new Kirby rep since Brawl. I'm guessing it's because Bandana Dee might have been introduced or got bigger as a character after he stopped making the Kirby games? Or in the likely scenario, Bandana Dee may just not be a priority.

Hopefully if we get more first party characters (like a first party pass) which I'm confident in, Bandana Dee is one of the characters to become playable. I'm honestly not a Kirby fan, but I know that Bandana Dee has become a big part of the recent Kirby games, he would make the roster feel more complete, and his fanbase deserves it.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
*sad Bandana Dee noises*
Metroid literally doubled its character count this time around. What the hell are you talking about?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I don't want to look too deep into this, but if what Sakurai says is true then wouldn't this increase the possibility of a first party character as DLC?
First party characters don't require long negotiations with other companies and all the revenue is guaranteed to go to the team. And if the budget problem is REALLY bad, then reusing assets like an assist trophy and selling them as a playable character would be a solution as well.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Aight, buddy I don't like PP at all either but I think you're taking the whole thing a little too personally. There are people out there that love PP and would love a Chain Chomp as well. You gotta respect that.
There are also people out there that want Goku and Shrek in Smash.
Should people be forced to respect that as well? Not even Smashboards does, as with the ban on those types of support threads.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom