• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
No one thinks it's a sure thing but there might be a small chance for a Smash-focused Direct this week. Given the lack of anything at the VGA's and post-pass needing to be disclosed.
I’m starting to think Nintendo got screwed over in TGA with their ridiculously short No More Heroes 3 trailer or they thought their stuff wasn’t hype enough for TGA. It’s likely they are saving tons of content for a December direct since kids and family are more likely to watch them instead of the mature-filled TGA.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
While it's perfectly fine to temper your expectations for a character you're personally banking on, I wouldn't count them out entirely, especially if it's KOS-MOS. Sure, it can be argued that she has other characters in her circle to compete with, but keep in mind that this is the game where Microsoft's underdog of underdogs got in over Steve, the posterboy for the bestselling game of the all time and arguably the most influential game of the decade. If the bird and bear can get in against those odds, the sky's the limit for who's plausible.
idk about you but Layton is virtural impossible and A bird and a bear dont change that

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I’m starting to think Nintendo got screwed over in TGA with their ridiculously short No More Heroes 3 trailer or they thought their stuff wasn’t hype enough for TGA. It’s likely they are saving tons of content for a December direct since kids and family are more likely to watch them instead of the mature-filled TGA.
We'll know by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Don’t regular directs usually follow a Nindies direct? We might see one esp since, correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t Tokyo Mirage Sessions Encore come out NEXT MONTH?
It releases January 17th. I could see this being the type of game that they just throw out without further advertising. I mean, did any of the past Wii U ports receive that much attention from Directs when they came out?

I thought for there to be something coming the "New" has to disappear?

Also not sure if its something but on the DLC for Challenger Pack 5 there's no "Coming Soon".
I know. Hence why I said the chance is slim.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I checked and yes, TMS Encore comes out Jan 17, 2020

they’re prob gonna do one more look at it, give info on Xenoblade Definitive Edition and Animal Crossing New Horizons, probably announce a new game or two and then cap it with a Smash announcement
I think a Smash announcement would be put in the middle of the direct. Chances are more likely they would begin and end the direct with a brand new first party game especially since we only know three first party games set to release in 2020. Like during E3 they ended with the BOTW2 reveal instead of Banjo and during the September direct they ended with Xenoblade Definitive Edition instead of Terry.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I mean, it's not like Nintendo doesn't show rated-M stuff in their Directs as well. It's more likely they have their regular Direct planned for Jan. Some of us like myself are holding out hope for a smaller, Smash focused Direct this week.
“Hey Sakurai is the 4th Koopa Troopa in Smash?”
Nah we all need to phone up Nintendo of America and ask if our favorite characters are in Smash.

"Yo Doug Bowser is it true Andy's going to be in Smash Ultimate? I need you to tell me the truth pretty plz".

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
There's also theory #2 - they never planned on revealing much to begin with, and all of their notable announcements are being saved for the January Direct we typically get.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'm a Byleth or bust guy, but if Edelgard got in, I'd love see
her hegemon form as a final smash

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
There's also theory #2 - they never planned on revealing much to begin with and all of their notable announcements are being saved for the January Direct we typically get.
Why wouldn’t they take advantage of the holidays? Do they like burning money?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm a Byleth or bust guy, but if Edelgard got in, I'd love see
her hegemon form as a final smash
I...definitely take issue with that.
Not only would it be a massive spoiler for only one of the routes when she has other options, but it would be the same as when people suggested "Robin should turn into Grima" or "Marth should use the Darksphere." It'd be wildly out of character.

Edelgard becoming the Hegemon Beast wasn't something she would willingly do under normal circumstances. It was only when her back was against the wall and she had no other options. It's not a super form, it's a last ditch hail mary.
A Gambit Boost Raging Flames would be far more in character, more representative of Three Houses in general, and wouldn't be a massive spoiler for no reason.

D

Deleted member

Why wouldn’t they take advantage of the holidays? Do they like burning money?
I mean yeah but they already took advantage this holiday by selling Pokémon on the Switch. Smash already made it’s money already, but the are still reeling those pokedollars.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
While it's perfectly fine to temper your expectations for a character you're personally banking on, I wouldn't count them out entirely, especially if it's KOS-MOS. Sure, it can be argued that she has other characters in her circle to compete with, but keep in mind that this is the game where Microsoft's underdog of underdogs got in over Steve, the posterboy for the bestselling game of the all time and arguably the most influential game of the last decade. If the bird and bear can get in against those odds, the sky's the limit for who's plausible.
Honestly, while I agree that KOS-MOS isn't out of the running, I don't thing the comparison to Microsoft really applies. Banjo and Kazooie were considered by Sakurai back in Melee and had a lot of fan support in that era because of their Nintendo roots, which stagnated during Brawl, but came back full force by the end of Smash 4.

I said this in the Phoenix thread once, but the question for KOS-MOS is: would Sakurai consider her? Which... puts her in the same spot as several others, really. Not particularly likely, but not impossible either.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
"Yo Doug Bowser is it true Andy's going to be in Smash Ultimate? I need you to tell me the truth pretty plz".
You fool, you forgot to say with whipped cream, and a cherry on top, so...
giphy (1).gif

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I think there's a tendency to overstate the importance of the Western holiday shopping season for Smash DLC. First off, a significant percentage of potential DLC customers will already have bought a Season Pass. Secondly, digital-only DLC content isn't something that Mom & Dad can see on a store shelf and decide to buy for Little Timmy, which is the whole point of getting stuff out for the holiday season. Furthermore, it this point in the game's lifecycle, most children/teenagers who would want Smash DLC but don't have the independent income to purchase it themselves are going to nag Mom & Dad to drop the $5.99 on FP5 regardless of when it comes out. The holiday season doesn't have much bearing at all.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Honestly, while I agree that KOS-MOS isn't out of the running, I don't thing the comparison to Microsoft really applies. Banjo and Kazooie were considered by Sakurai back in Melee and had a lot of fan support in that era because of their Nintendo roots, which stagnated during Brawl, but came back full force by the end of Smash 4.

I said this in the Phoenix thread once, but the question for KOS-MOS is: would Sakurai consider her? Which... puts her in the same spot as several others, really. Not particularly likely, but not impossible either.
If you are going to ask if it’s likely for Sakurai (the Rex apologist) to consider Kosmos, yes. His bias for Monoloith Softy’s content is not even subtle.

D

Deleted member

What would Nintendo and Namco gain from her being in Smash? I mean:

Joker: Persona 5R and Persona 5S
Hero: Dragon Quest XI
BaNjo and Kazooie: IDK about this one
Terry: King of Fighters XV

All of those were added to the game to promote an upcoming game or one that came out recently. What’s to gain From Kos-MOs comepared to active franchises like Tekken, Soulcalibur, and Tales of?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If you are going to ask if it’s likely for Sakurai (the Rex apologist) to consider Kosmos, yes. His bias for Monoloith Softy’s content is not even subtle.
So THAT'S the reason Xenoblade got no new remixes. Sakurai clearly loves it too much.

D

Deleted member

Where are you getting that Sakurai is biased towards Xenoblade?? If that was the case then Rex would be DLC, not Kos-Mos.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
So THAT'S the reason Xenoblade got no new remixes. Sakurai clearly loves it too much.
Remixes are pointless when the original music has great quality and doesn’t actually have any system limitations. It’s like remixing Sonic songs, you don’t do it unless it’s truly necessary or Crash 40 wants to jam.

Where are you getting that Sakurai is biased towards Xenoblade?? If that was the case then Rex would be DLC, not Kos-Mos.
Because Monoloith Soft’s mascot is basically Kosmos, Nintendo says “no first parties in our dlc”, Sakurai is only able to add Rex that during Base game development, there is a great chance Sakurai has been interested in Monoloith Soft’s work before xenoblade 1. Also, unlike Rex, Kosmos is part of a different franchise with absolutely no references or representation while conveying a lot of the ideas and themes that are consistent with Xenogears and the Xenoblade series and she is a good rep for Namco, the ones who make a big game like Ultimate come to life.

Seriously, it’s like you don’t consider the other parties or the connections of the game franchises.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Honestly, I don't feel like Sakurai has done enough to warrant us saying he has a bias toward XC. In Ultimate, the amount of new content for XC has been pretty bare bones.

Aside from FE and his own games (Kirby games and KI:U), I don't think Sakurai has shown much bias in Smash games. I guess there might be a little bit of a bias for EarthBound, but I'm not entirely sure if that's him showing favouritism or him knowing Nintendo fans love the franchise.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean the fact that Sakurai said Shulk wasn't the type of character who would normally get into Smash, I'm not sure he's outright favoring Xenoblade over other series.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee

KOS-MOS is not that unlikely for Sakurai to consider, because Sakurai overall is a Xenoblade fan, but more importantly he worked allongside Monolith Soft since Brawl. KOS-MOS is also Monolith's Mascot trapped in Namco rights, but well seeing that she is Namco's Crossover Queen and Sakurai has been working with Namco for 2 Smash bros games straight, I feel its more a sleeper pick, instead of an unlikely character

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
What would Nintendo and Namco gain from her being in Smash? I mean:

Joker: Persona 5R and Persona 5S
Hero: Dragon Quest XI
BaNjo and Kazooie: IDK about this one
Terry: King of Fighters XV

All of those were added to the game to promote an upcoming game or one that came out recently. What’s to gain From Kos-MOs comepared to active franchises like Tekken, Soulcalibur, and Tales of?
I don't think it's about that either. Persona 5 isn't coming to Switch aside from 5S (wich I will defend is a really dumb move, in fact) and AFAIK we have no guarantee that KoF XV is coming to Switch either (although XIV has). It's not about promotion or "Nintendo gaining something", but rather that KOS-MOS doesn't have anything against her... and nothing in her favor either aside from the occasional cameo, while Tekken, Tales and some other Namco IPs have at least a few things going for them.

KOS-MOS is not that unlikely for Sakurai to consider, because Sakurai overall is a Xenoblade fan, but more importantly he worked allongside Monolith Soft since Brawl. KOS-MOS is also Monolith's Mascot trapped in Namco rights, but well seeing that she is Namco's Crossover Queen and Sakurai has been working with Namco for 2 Smash bros games straight, I feel its more a sleeper pick, instead of an unlikely character
True, but I mean, he's also namedropped Heihachi as a character he considered and Lloyd as his Tales rep of choice (which is also good for the chances of Tales in general). KOS-MOS' status as the "Namco Crossover Queen" is not unlike Morrigan's on the Capcom side, so my guess is it could happen, but she wouldn't really be my first bet among the Namco characters. She is Namco's crossover queen, but it's hard to say how much this affects her chances when Nintendo and Sakurai are the ones picking characters instead of... well, Namco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom