• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
KOS-MOS is not that unlikely for Sakurai to consider, because Sakurai overall is a Xenoblade fan, but more importantly he worked allongside Monolith Soft since Brawl. KOS-MOS is also Monolith's Mascot trapped in Namco rights, but well seeing that she is Namco's Crossover Queen and Sakurai has been working with Namco for 2 Smash bros games straight, I feel its more a sleeper pick, instead of an unlikely character
Keep in mind though that Sakurai is choosing from characters that Nintendo had preselected. Unless Nintendo suggested KOS-MOS, it's not as simple as, "Namco, you've been so helpful with Smash. Let me add your character as thanks."

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
KOS-MOS is also Monolith's Mascot trapped in Namco rights
Honestly not very trapped considering Monolith and Namco maintain a good relationship and they are given permission to use Xenosaga content whenever they ask for it.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Honestly, I don't feel like Sakurai has done enough to warrant us saying he has a bias toward XC. In Ultimate, the amount of new content for XC has been pretty bare bones.

Aside from FE and his own games (Kirby games and KI:U), I don't think Sakurai has shown much bias in Smash games. I guess there might be a little bit of a bias for EarthBound, but I'm not entirely sure if that's him showing favouritism or him knowing Nintendo fans love the franchise.
When has Sakurai ever apologize for a mii costume? Also, the XC series mainly suffered from the timing of smash content, Sakurai had legit problems with adding new XC content when it wasn’t even planned.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Honestly not very trapped considering Monolith and Namco maintain a good relationship and they are given permission to use Xenosaga content whenever they ask for it.
Why do people keep forgetting this despite everything Monolith does with Kosmos?
Keep in mind though that Sakurai is choosing from characters that Nintendo had preselected. Unless Nintendo suggested KOS-MOS, it's not as simple as, "Namco, you've been so helpful with Smash. Let me add your character as thanks."
You literally just made the argument that Nintendo would unsurprisingly had some preselected Namco characters, whether Sakurai wanted to or not.

That's not evidence. There are other legit Copyright claims out there under the claimant of "Nintendo" (One was already posted). Also, Nintendo of America isn't the only branch of Nintendo.
Thank you! It was so damn annoying they base the thing under one company name, especially since they were addressed as the American branch of Nintendo just by the title.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Remixes are pointless when the original music has great quality and doesn’t actually have any system limitations. It’s like remixing Sonic songs, you don’t do it unless it’s truly necessary or Crash 40 wants to jam.

Because Monoloith Soft’s mascot is basically Kosmos, Nintendo says “no first parties in our dlc”, Sakurai is only able to add Rex that during Base game development, there is a great chance Sakurai has been interested in Monoloith Soft’s work before xenoblade 1. Also, unlike Rex, Kosmos is part of a different franchise with absolutely no references or representation while conveying a lot of the ideas and themes that are consistent with Xenogears and the Xenoblade series and she is a good rep for Namco, the ones who make a big game like Ultimate come to life.

Seriously, it’s like you don’t consider the other parties or the connections of the game franchises.
How is Kos-Mos the mascot of Monolith if they don’t own her? How are you sure Sakurai is interested in xenoblade? Why does she make a good “rep” compared to Nightmare or a Tales of character? What connections??

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
How is Kos-Mos the mascot of Monolith if they don’t own her? How are you sure Sakurai is interested in xenoblade? Why does she make a good “rep” compared to Nightmare or a Tales of character? What connections??
Nono you see Sakurai absolutely wanted a Xenoblade character and cried himself to sleep when he couldn't because of a general PR statement

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Adding Fiora to Shulk's Final Smash and making Shulk not **** is super hard work yo. Totally gotta be bias to do that.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
You literally just made the argument that Nintendo would unsurprisingly had some preselected Namco characters, whether Sakurai wanted to or not.
Nintendo prepared a list of characters they were interested in and asked Sakurai which ones he could make. Sakurai told them which ones he thought he could turn into a fighter, and then Nintendo handled the legalities.

Never said a thing about Nintendo choosing some Namco character(s) and forcing Sakurai to make them. Heck we don't even know if they had a Namco character on their list to begin with.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Gonna be real though, y'all are better off talking to a brick wall at this point.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Gonna be real though, y'all are better off talking to a brick wall at this point.
It's gotten to the point that I can't tell if he is either trolling or is ill-informed on such topics.

Last edited:

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
idk about you but Layton is virtural impossible and A bird and a bear dont change that
I'll encourage you all to not lose faith in the possibility of your favorites getting into Smash if it's the last thing I do, Prof. I have a moral obligation to do so since all my most-wanted picks got in, after all.

NONE OF YOU ARE SAFE FROM MY ENCOURAGEMENT AND SUPPORT. THIS IS A THREAT.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd rather have this than having Edelgard in all honestly.
Especially cause in Three Houses she's Worst Lord. Byleth is a given, Claude isn't really all that workable being a pure bowman, or riding a wyvern, and has the least fleshed out route along with Edelgard.

So who's left after Byleth is obviously Dimitri.

Search your heart, you'll find this truth within.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Especially cause in Three Houses she's Worst Lord. Byleth is a given, Claude isn't really all that workable being a pure bowman, or riding a wyvern, and has the least fleshed out route along with Edelgard.

So who's left after Byleth is obviously Dimitri.

Search your heart, you'll find this truth within.
Okay but you literally ranked them in the opposite order.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
To be honest I'm more excited for news about BotW 2, and Tree Houses next line of DLC than FP5. Unless it's Byleth, but that's doubtful untill next season.

D

Deleted member

Nintendo prepared a list of characters they were interested in and asked Sakurai which ones he could make. Sakurai told them which ones he thought he could turn into a fighter, and then Nintendo handled the legalities.

Never said a thing about Nintendo choosing some Namco character(s) and forcing Sakurai to make them. Heck we don't even know if they had a Namco character on their list to begin with.
But that doesn't matter because of meaningless patterns I made up on the fly to justify a character I don't even want.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I...definitely take issue with that.
Not only would it be a massive spoiler for only one of the routes when she has other options, but it would be the same as when people suggested "Robin should turn into Grima" or "Marth should use the Darksphere." It'd be wildly out of character.

Edelgard becoming the Hegemon Beast wasn't something she would willingly do under normal circumstances. It was only when her back was against the wall and she had no other options. It's not a super form, it's a last ditch hail mary.
A Gambit Boost Raging Flames would be far more in character, more representative of Three Houses in general, and wouldn't be a massive spoiler for no reason.
I don't think comparing Edelgard's Hegemon form to Robin becoming Grima is a fair comparison. While Edelgard becoming a crest beast was something she'd only do as an absolute last resort, it was a decision she consciously made and initiated. She looked at all the options she had on the table and decided that becoming a crest beast would be the best choice in that scenario. It's a decision that's in line with Edelgard's character and her philosophy throughout Three Houses: The ends justify the means, even if the means are violent and possible immoral.

Compare this to Grima and Robin, where Grima is a completely separate entity from Robin that would only emerge if someone else initiated it. It's not Robin's choice on whether or not he became Grima, it would be Validar's (or whoever performed the awakening). Likewise, even if Robin could turn into Grima for a power boost, its not something he would do because he's not Edelgard. Robin's smart, but he's also a lawful good type who's not willing to try certain strategies out of a sense of morality. Edelgard, on the other hand, is perfectly willing to instigate conflict and perform morally questionable actions if some good will rise out of it. Edelgard, in Robin's position, might be willing to awaken Grima if she was pushed far enough to do so.

Regarding the idea that this would be a spoiler for Three Houses, Sakurai has never walked away from spoilers before when designing Smash content. Shulk has Mecha Fiora in his final smash despite her existence being a spoiler. Likewise, Mumkhar and Dracula's spirits turning into Metal Face and Soma Cruz respectively. Hell, Lucina's inclusion is basically a spoiler itself.

I also think Hegemon Edelgard is a much more interesting final smash than simply having Raging Flames. This is subjective, but turning into an H.R. Giger monster gives a lot more to work with than an exploding barrel.

D

Deleted member

I...definitely take issue with that.
Not only would it be a massive spoiler for only one of the routes when she has other options, but it would be the same as when people suggested "Robin should turn into Grima" or "Marth should use the Darksphere." It'd be wildly out of character.

Edelgard becoming the Hegemon Beast wasn't something she would willingly do under normal circumstances. It was only when her back was against the wall and she had no other options. It's not a super form, it's a last ditch hail mary.
A Gambit Boost Raging Flames would be far more in character, more representative of Three Houses in general, and wouldn't be a massive spoiler for no reason.
As much as it makes sense storywise for it not to happen in Smash
don't even lie and say that Robin summoning Grima for his final smash wouldn't be awesome as hell.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I don't think comparing Edelgard's Hegemon form to Robin becoming Grima is a fair comparison. While Edelgard becoming a crest beast was something she'd only do as an absolute last resort, it was a decision she consciously made and initiated. She looked at all the options she had on the table and decided that becoming a crest beast would be the best choice in that scenario. It's a decision that's in line with Edelgard's character and her philosophy throughout Three Houses: The ends justify the means, even if the means are violent and possible immoral.

Compare this to Grima and Robin, where Grima is a completely separate entity from Robin that would only emerge if someone else initiated it. It's not Robin's choice on whether or not he became Grima, it would be Validar's (or whoever performed the awakening). Likewise, even if Robin could turn into Grima for a power boost, its not something he would do because he's not Edelgard. Robin's smart, but he's also a lawful good type who's not willing to try certain strategies out of a sense of morality. Edelgard, on the other hand, is perfectly willing to instigate conflict and perform morally questionable actions if some good will rise out of it. Edelgard, in Robin's position, might be willing to awaken Grima if she was pushed far enough to do so.

Regarding the idea that this would be a spoiler for Three Houses, Sakurai has never walked away from spoilers before when designing Smash content. Shulk has Mecha Fiora in his final smash despite her existence being a spoiler. Likewise, Mumkhar and Dracula's spirits turning into Metal Face and Soma Cruz respectively. Hell, Lucina's inclusion is basically a spoiler itself.

I also think Hegemon Edelgard is a much more interesting final smash than simply having Raging Flames. This is subjective, but turning into an H.R. Giger monster gives a lot more to work with than an exploding barrel.
Regarding Edelgard, if she were to be playable in Smash, I think it would make much more sense for her Final Smash to stem from the route where she's playable in Three Houses, rather than the routes where she is not.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

They wouldn't use this form anyway cause all attacks always keep missing LOLE

D

Deleted member

hegemon edelgard would be cool as HELL as a final smash but it ain't gonna happen, the game ain't even a year old

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
To be honest I'm more excited for news about BotW 2, and Tree Houses next line of DLC than FP5. Unless it's Byleth, but that's doubtful untill next season.
I'm more excited for BotW 2, but that's comparing apples to oranges. A brand new game that's a sequel to something I love versus a character who I don't have high expectations for from a game that's already out.

Say Sakurai decided to add some free DLC to include some Gen 8 Pokemon as Pokeball Pokemon. Who gets added and what do they do?
Doubt it'll happen even if we got a Gen 8 Pokemon as a fighter, but I might as well try.

Wooloo - Continues rolling until it falls off the stage. Small knockback/damage to anyone in the way.
Yamper - Fetches nearby items and brings them to the player.
Obstagoon - Crosses its arms and braces for attacks; deals high knockback/damage to physical contact.
Morpeko - Rolls back and forth around the stage in its electric wheel. Chance of being in Hangry Mode for 2× damage.
Toxtricity - Replacement for Barbara the Bat.
Dragapult - Launches Dreepy across the stage.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Here is a really hot take if anyone wants one.

I tried to play FE Three Houses. Ended up putting it down immediately after a couple of tries at the mock battle.

Sorry, but that gameplay is just simply not for me.

D

Deleted member

hell, hegemon already has a final smash built into it; wilted flower is easy asf to transfer into smash
edelgard transforms, flies up to the middle of the stage, t-poses, and then laser****s everything around her

D

Deleted member

Wait wasn’t Dante leaked or something a while ago? I heard some rumors or something.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Here is a really hot take if anyone wants one.

I tried to play FE Three Houses. Ended up putting it down immediately after a couple of tries at the mock battle.

Sorry, but that gameplay is just simply not for me.
How's that even a hot take? You aren't even saying much about the game other than that it's not for you.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
They would probably just go for Raging Storm for Edelgard's Final Smash. But that won't happen because Byleth would get in, with Ruptured Heaven as a Final Smash, and Dimitri with Atrocity.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
They wouldn't use this form anyway cause all attacks always keep missing LOLE
They shouldn't have Choice Scarfed Focus Miss.

hegemon edelgard would be cool as HELL as a final smash but it ain't gonna happen, the game ain't even a year old
Eh, while not as big of a spoiler, they did give Corrin their ultimate weapon the Omega Yato and focused on it during their reveal despite Fates only being out around half a year in Japan (and the Revelation DLC even less then that) and the game not even being released in the west at the time. I don't think they'd be against using spoiler content if it added to the gameplay, it's more a question of if they'd feel that element would fit the idea they'd have for the character and how they'd play.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom