• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Well you can because after all, Knuckles is tougher than the rest of them, the best of them, and tougher than leather.
The reason why he isn't playable is because, unlike Sonic, he doesn't chuckle. He'd rather flex his muscles. (In the background, as an assist trophy.)

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
I really wanna hear some of you guys out, you think Capcom is getting another rep? If so, who would you say is most likely and why?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I really wanna hear some of you guys out, you think Capcom is getting another rep? If so, who would you say is most likely and why?
I'm pretty sure so, and if we do, I think Phoenix Wright is a good candidate. He's beloved and a wacky pick that would fit Sakurai's standards perfectly. He could do some crazy stuff with Feen.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I absolutely think so.
And I think it's going to be Chris Redfield from Resident Evil.

Resident Evil to this day sells ridiculously well, trailblazed many aspects of the survival horror genre, and Chris is currently Capcom's recent face for the series for games like Marvel vs. Capcom. Jill Valentine also has a remake in the works presumably and Leon Kennedy has just had a very successful remake.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Capcom has a wealth of iconic characters/series to pull from and has shown to be pretty easy to work with from what we've seen so far. I'd bet money on a capcom character, I want to say it will be phoenix wright, but I thing a RE character is more likely.

D

Deleted member

I don't really think there should be anymore right now since they have a good amount of characters in Smash already (not to mention Rathalos being a boss even if it doesn't hold any merits), so I'm going to say there won't be anymore Capcom reps for now.

With that being said, Resident Evil has been on a role ever since RE7 was released, so if I were to guess the next Capcom fighter, it would be either Leon, Jill, or maybe even Jack Baker as a wildcard pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I do
And I believe it's probably going to be a Resident Evil character, my vote is going to Leon.

D

Deleted member

If the Mega Man and Monster Hunter DLC costumes of Smash 4 are being released with a specific character like the Sonic costumes were, then yeah, I'd say another Capcom character is likely.

If the one leak that coincides with the costume theory is accurate, then it would be a Resident Evil character. My guess would be Jill.

If it's not a Resident Evil character, then it's either Dante, Phoenix Wright, or Amaterasu.

thisjustin2001

Smash Apprentice
If the Mega Man and Monster Hunter DLC costumes of Smash 4 are being released with a specific character like the Sonic costumes were, then yeah, I'd say another Capcom character is likely.

If the one leak that coincides with the costume theory is accurate, then it would be a Resident Evil character. My guess would be Jill.

If it's not a Resident Evil character, then it's either Dante, Phoenix Wright, or Amaterasu.
What's the leak that coincides with costume theory?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
From what I remember about the leak, the guy who posted it said he only trusted in the person who told him Erdrick. Plus he also heard Steve or something, and somehow had the list of names in the Ballot.

Plus they could release Mii Costumes without tying them into a reveal of a character from the same company, or simply not bring them all back.

Last edited:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
speaking of a capcom characters and unexpected choices

I feel Chris/Leon/Jill, Dante and Monster Hunter are MUCH more likely (and arguably better choices), but I don't hear of her in Smash Speculation much at all compared to Phoenix or Ammy (comparably smaller franchises to the first three). I would be pretty surprised if she was chosen though, considering how old her games are. But she is pretty comparable in moveset potential to Ammy and Phoenix while also having seniority in the fighting game department with her role in MvC (making her design a little bit more iconic perhaps?). It's a major stretch, but Reggie did say they have some surprises in store for us. Here's to irrational hope :upsidedown:

Plus Sakurai can use Bayo or ZSS' assets to make her character a la cloud from ike

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yes I think they are and I think it's Phoenix Wright. Iconic, relevant, huge history with Nintendo, and Dante and Resident Evil feel kind of redundant when we have Joker as a gun wielder already.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yes I think they are and I think it's Phoenix Wright. Iconic, relevant, huge history with Nintendo, and Dante and Resident Evil feel kind of redundant when we have Joker as a gun wielder already.
And Joker himself didn't feel redundant when we have Bayonetta already?

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Yaaaaaaaaaaaawn. Some non-Ryu and Ken traditional fighting game character I never heard of when you have Metal Slug from the same company, the Tales of series, and another Capcom character who's already in Capcom crossovers. I'll give you that Erdrick makes sense.
Imagine if that was the fighters pass after Joker. DQ and, okay actually, Resident Evil would be neat additions, but Tales of and SNK fighter? Maybe we did have no viable Bamco franchises after all...
If they were even going to go with another traditional fighter series in Smash, could they just go with finally doing Tekken? I've actually heard of that game.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yaaaaaaaaaaaawn. Some non-Ryu and Ken traditional fighting game character I never heard of when you have Metal Slug from the same company, the Tales of series, and another Capcom character who's already in Capcom crossovers. I'll give you that Erdrick makes sense.
Imagine if that was the fighters pass after Joker. DQ and, okay actually, Resident Evil would be neat additions, but Tales of and SNK fighter? Maybe we did have no viable Bamco franchises after all...
If they were even going to go with another traditional fighter series in Smash, could they just go with finally doing Tekken? I've actually heard of that game.
And, not the Tales and SNK reps I would see getting in.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
speaking of a capcom characters and unexpected choices

I feel Chris/Leon/Jill, Dante and Monster Hunter are MUCH more likely (and arguably better choices), but I don't hear of her in Smash Speculation much at all compared to Phoenix or Ammy (comparably smaller franchises to the first three). I would be pretty surprised if she was chosen though, considering how old her games are. But she is pretty comparable in moveset potential to Ammy and Phoenix while also having seniority in the fighting game department with her role in MvC (making her design a little bit more iconic perhaps?). It's a major stretch, but Reggie did say they have some surprises in store for us. Here's to irrational hope :upsidedown:

Plus Sakurai can use Bayo or ZSS' assets to make her character a la cloud from ike
I would be very interested to see how they would handle Astral Vision if they did so at all. Not sure how well it would work in a platform fighter.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
No, because they're family so they deserve to be together.
See also Mario + Luigi, Bowser, Jr and all his other 'sort of' kids and Chrom and Lucina...and sort of Marth too I guess.

As much as I'm not down for third party only fighter pass, Resident Evil is a franchise I feel I'd be more than okay getting a character. Hopefully Jill, Chris or wild card Wesker. Could see Leon getting in over them, but always viewed Chris and Jill as the main deutagonists and Wesker as the big evil.

Ornl

Smash Ace
RTC Capcom rep
(only the most recent, rounded to 0.5 decimal)
- Phoenix Wright : 33%
- Monster Hunter : 30.5%
- Leon S. Kennedy : 29%
- Jill Valentine : 21.5%
- Amaterasu : 9%
- Dante : unknow

PERSONNAL OBSERVATIONS
(The magazine Famitsu is quoted as a reference because it offers a vision from Japanese players, and Sakurai has his own column since 2003)

Phoenix Wright
+ He was born on GBA. Smash Bros have no Fighter whose license is born on GBA.
+ The license has 2 places in the top 20 favorite adventure games by Famitsu readers (2017). The license appears at least 9 times on the cover of the Nintendo DREAM magazine, in front of all other Capcom licenses.
- Only 7 million units sold for the entire series. For comparison, Ōkami has 7 million units sold for only 2 different games.
- He is certainly high placed in the ballot, so he's expected, unlike Piranha Plant, Joker and Brave.
pw zz.jpg

Hunter
+ 52 million units sold and high notoriety. 10th and 15th best sales in Japan. The license has 6 places in the top 10 favorite games on each console by Famitsu readers (2015).
- He's too expected (Assist Trophy, Amiibo, Sm4sh Costumes, Nintendo content in several games).

Resident Evil Rep
+ 85 million units sold and the greatest notoriety from Capcom. The license has 5 places in the top 10 favorite games on each console by Famitsu readers (2015), and has 3 places in the top 20 favorite action-adventure games by Famitsu readers (2017).
? Controversy about possible gameplay.
- Maximum age limit (which is rare, being only the case of Snake and Bayonetta).

Amaterasu
+ 17th favorite game of all time by Famitsu readers (2017).
+ Non-human and high potential of original gamelay.
- Excellent sales, but the license isn't really a series (only two different games).

Dante
? Excellent sales. But the series doesn't appear in any top by Famitsu's readers (2015 to 2017).
- Maximum age limit (which is rare, being only the case of Snake and Bayonetta).
- Same creator as Bayonetta. Universe close to Bayonetta and Joker (contemporary era, guns, demons). He already appears in various crossover, but his appearance in Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne is another link with Joker.
smt dante.jpg

Capcom and Famitsu readers
According to a poll from Famitsu readers (2015), Sega is preferred at 20%, Squenix 17%, Konami 12%, Nintendo 11%, Atlus 7%, Spike Chunsoft 5%, Bamco 4%, Capcom 4%, Sony 3%, then Koei Tecmo 2%.

Capcom content in Smash
Capcom
already is third-party company with the most Assist Trophies, multiple bosses, the most Costumes in Sm4sh, the most Spirits, and the only with Master Spirits.

Personal warning of Costume Theory
According to Reggie, every new DLC Fighter should be "never saw it coming". By bringing Sega Costumes with Joker, then potentially Squenix Costumes with Brave, Nintendo could have created a false clue. Given the lack of Capcom Costumes, the community might be thinking of a new Capcom Fighter. But this is contrary to the fact that a new Fighter should be "never saw it coming". This conditioning could be a decoy, to continue to create surprise and propose unexpected characters.

Poogers555

Smash Rookie
Personally I think Leon is going to be added in. Like many I think Capcom will get another rep, and my bet is it will be from Resident Evil. Its really up in the air of if itll be Chris, Jill, or Leon, but Im gonna go with Leon as I feel he is the most recognizable character of the series, especially for Nintendo fans.

Who knows though, maybe theyll make alt skins so you can play as Chris, Alt Chris, Jill, Alt Jill, Leon, Alt Leon.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Personal warning of Costume Theory
According to Reggie, every new DLC Fighter should be "never saw it coming". By bringing Sega Costumes with Joker, then potentially Squenix Costumes with Brave, Nintendo could have created a false clue. Given the lack of Capcom Costumes, the community might be thinking of a new Capcom Fighter. But this is contrary to the fact that a new Fighter should be "never saw it coming". This conditioning could be a decoy, to continue to create surprise and propose unexpected characters.
Honestly, if that pattern breaks, it's just because that's how they planned it, not necessarily as a 'decoy'. I doubt they'd be pulling some 4D chess-level stuff like that intentionally. That's a reach.

He is certainly high placed in the ballot, so he's expected, unlike Piranha Plant, Joker and Brave.
I love Phoenix and highly support his inclusion, but there is literally no water to this statement. We don't know his placement and there is no evidence of his possible placement beyond fan polls which, in terms of the ballot itself, likely mean little. A factual statement about that cannot be made under personal guessing without some sort of citation. It can be presumed; it cannot be definitively ascertained.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Velvet is the coolest possible Tales choice. You're tripping.

I want Metal Slug for SNK more too but Nakoruru has a hawk, man! A hawk!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Persona 5 is an M-rated game as well, and we got content from Fatal Frame 5 and Eternal Darkness (both M-rated games), the latter of which is a Nintendo-owned series. It seems pretty safe to say that a game's content rating is nowhere near as big of an issue as it might have once been when it comes to getting into Smash.

Ornl

Smash Ace
(Phoenix Wright certainly is high placed in the ballot)

I love Phoenix and highly support his inclusion, but there is literally no water to this statement. We don't know his placement and there is no evidence of his possible placement beyond fan polls which, in terms of the ballot itself, likely mean little. A factual statement about that cannot be made under personal guessing without some sort of citation. It can be presumed; it cannot be definitively ascertained.
You react on the only point that isn't based on facts to say that it isn't based on facts. But all intuitive personal observations on this forum don't necessarily have sources. It's a space for discussion and exchange, not only for authority arguments. It's doesn't preclude sharing his personnal feelings. Some surveys on the web, as temperature checks, can give me clues. If Phoenix Wright perhaps isn't in the top 30, he is generally the Capcom rep who appears in first before the others, according to my research.
- 8th position - 15th position - 15th position - 21st position - 32nd position.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
(Phoenix Wright certainly is high placed in the ballot)

You react on the only point that isn't based on facts to say that it isn't based on facts. But all intuitive personal observations on this forum don't necessarily have sources. It's a space for discussion and exchange, not only for authority arguments. It's doesn't preclude sharing his personnal feelings. Some surveys on the web, as temperature checks, can give me clues. If Phoenix Wright perhaps isn't in the top 30, he is generally the Capcom rep who appears in first before the others, according to my research.
- 8th position - 15th position - 15th position - 21st position - 32nd position.
This is true, but speculation is simply that: speculation. Stating something as if it is fact (you say 'certainly', not, say, 'likely' or 'probably', noting it as a presumption) makes it seem like it's the definite truth, and as such, one would expect a source to those claims. Again, yes, I would say he more than likely placed high on the ballot, but it isn't 100% fact. If your intent was to state this as such, your wording just didn't come across that way is all.

Ornl

Smash Ace
I see. In French, "certainly" and "surely" are words used to express "likely" in everyday language, leaving room for doubt. "Probably" is little used in everyday French, and we don't have an exact word to translate "likely".

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I see. In French, "certainly" and "surely" are words used to express "likely" in everyday language, leaving room for doubt. "Probably" is little used in everyday French, and we don't have an exact word to translate "likely".
Ahh, okay, that means sense then. Miscommunication happens all the time, especially between differing cultures. I apologize for not realizing that was the case, and thank you for clarifying!

thisjustin2001

Smash Apprentice
Have you guys heard about the four DLC characters that leaked because of the EU Smash website's search engine optimization? Basically, if you follow a very specific set of parameters in the EU Google search, and type "(insert character name) Super Smash Bros Ultimate" there are only four key words that bring up the Fighter Pass ad on Google. Those names are Banjo, Doom Slayer, Ryu Hayabusa and...wait for it, Artorias from Dark Souls. If this leak is real, and this is the final Fighter Pass lineup, what do you guys think about it? For me personally, none of these are characters I specifically wanted, but I don't dislike these characters either. Let me know what you think!

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Have you guys heard about the four DLC characters that leaked because of the EU Smash website's search engine optimization? Basically, if you follow a very specific set of parameters in the EU Google search, and type "(insert character name) Super Smash Bros Ultimate" there are only four key words that bring up the Fighter Pass ad on Google. Those names are Banjo, Doom Slayer, Ryu Hayabusa and...wait for it, Artorias from Dark Souls. If this leak is real, and this is the final Fighter Pass lineup, what do you guys think about it? For me personally, none of these are characters I specifically wanted, but I don't dislike these characters either. Let me know what you think!
It's fake:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
It's fake:

Pretty much. The ad coming up for that doesn't even mean anything anyway, especially with the ridiculous criteria. Google recognized Smash Bros. in your search and gave you a relevant ad? OH WOW, THE CHARACTER I PUT IN THE SEARCH MUST BE IN THEN. Naw. That ain't it, chief.

If that were the final roster, though, I'd be very pleased. Ryu Hayabusa would be a cool retro rep, Dark Souls in Smash would be sweet, Doom Slayer would be sick and come with awesome music, and Banjo is my big dream pick. Even if I didn't buy Ryu and Artorias because I'm rather indifferent (even if more on the positive side of indifferent), Doom Slayer and ESPECIALLY Banjo would leave me immensely satisfied.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Pffffft

Ornl

Smash Ace
Ahh, okay, that means sense then. Miscommunication happens all the time, especially between differing cultures. I apologize for not realizing that was the case, and thank you for clarifying!
It's rather me who must pay attention and correctly adapt, thank you for coming back to this point.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I think that the Sonic Mii costumes not only deconfirm any other Sonic (or potentially Sega) character from being part of the pass, it also suggests that Square Enix is getting a character in the pass as well, since I'm sure that the Geno costume will come back and they will announce it along with the Square character.
Erdrick or not is still a mystery. If the Square character happens to be Geno himself (a bit unlikely), it's possible that they won't bring back the Mii costume.

And for some reason I'm still convinced that we're getting at least 2 first parties in the pass (maybe even 3 but it's unlikely). It's Smash bros after all, they always give priority to Nintendo characters in quantity.

We still have to find if spirits deconfirm characters or not, because if they do, there are some interesting hints hidden in the list of spirits that might suggest who the first parties could be (if there is any).

Lastly, we have to know if there will be another fighter pass after this one, but there is still a lot of time to wait for knowing this.

NickoRaptor

Smash Cadet
I dunno much about how Google brings up search results, but I've been seeing more reasoning for it being plausible than not so far. I'm just interested to see if it winds up being true or not now.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I think that the Sonic Mii costumes not only deconfirm any other Sonic (or potentially Sega) character from being part of the pass, it also suggests that Square Enix is getting a character in the pass as well, since I'm sure that the Geno costume will come back and they will announce it along with the Square character.
Erdrick or not is still a mystery. If the Square character happens to be Geno himself (a bit unlikely), it's possible that they won't bring back the Mii costume.

And for some reason I'm still convinced that we're getting at least 2 first parties in the pass (maybe even 3 but it's unlikely). It's Smash bros after all, they always give priority to Nintendo characters in quantity.

We still have to find if spirits deconfirm characters or not, because if they do, there are some interesting hints hidden in the list of spirits that might suggest who the first parties could be (if there is any).

Lastly, we have to know if there will be another fighter pass after this one, but there is still a lot of time to wait for knowing this.
What are you some of the first party characters you see as viable, if I may ask?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom