• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
This is partly why I believe we'll get an out of nowhere wildcard pick. A character that wasn't on anyone's radar because most people thought it was impossible.
If you can do pattern recognition from one character, that seems like the trend at the moment, considering Joker's overall place in the speculation prior to VGAs.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
If you can do pattern recognition from one character, that seems like the trend at the moment, considering Joker's overall place in the speculation prior to VGAs.
I suppose so, although I wouldn't call a character like Erdrick impossible or out of nowhere considering how big Dragon Quest is and how close it is to Nintendo. I predict we'll get three characters that have been talked heavily in speculation and one shocker pick that comes out of nowhere.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Based on Sakurai's tweet, it was finalized in November.

Was this just a way of stating "we've already decided DLC, never ask us for characters ever again", instead reiterating that rather than just having decided it? Though then again, "is now complete" kinda throws a wrench into that?

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Was this just a way of stating "we've already decided DLC, never ask us for characters ever again", instead reiterating that rather than just having decided it? Though then again, "is now complete" kinda throws a wrench into that?
The message I am getting from Sakurai is that the DLC roster has been fully finalized since November.

thisjustin2001

Smash Apprentice
What do you guys think about that mysterious private video Nintendo uploaded on the Smash Bros YouTube channel a couple of days ago? Isn't this something that happens when a character reveal is a week or two out? If that's the case, that doesn't lineup with E3 at all. Could we be getting a Smash direct this month or at least, sometime really soon?

Source: https://nintendosoup.com/rumor-next...c-character-could-be-revealed-in-near-future/

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
What do you guys think about that mysterious private video Nintendo uploaded on the Smash Bros YouTube channel a couple of days ago? Isn't this something that happens when a character reveal is a week or two out? If that's the case, that doesn't lineup with E3 at all. Could we be getting a Smash direct this month or at least, sometime really soon?

Source: https://nintendosoup.com/rumor-next...c-character-could-be-revealed-in-near-future/
Something like this happened about a month in advance for the November Direct, I think.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
So if anything, it could be tying into E3. Maybe its presence on the Smash channel even means we'll be getting another standalone Smash information thing like a Direct or 3.0.0's, thus we could be getting a couple character reveals...

...Or it's just the Joker character video they forgot to upload.

thisjustin2001

Smash Apprentice
Something like this happened about a month in advance for the November Direct, I think.
Hmmm. So, if these private videos happen a month in advance and this happened a few days ago, that would've made it almost a week ahead of the E3 direct. Kinda makes me think we'll be getting a Smash direct before the E3 showcase like they did that year with the Lucas, Roy and Ryu DLC.

That would be kinda nice that way, nobody can complain to Nintendo about another E3 showcase having a portion dedicated to Smash Bros.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Hmmm. So, if these private videos happen a month in advance and this happened a few days ago, that would've made it almost a week ahead of the E3 direct. Kinda makes me think we'll be getting a Smash direct before the E3 showcase like they did that year with the Lucas, Roy and Ryu DLC.

That would be kinda nice that way, nobody can complain to Nintendo about another E3 showcase having a portion dedicated to Smash Bros.
It could also be within weeks, as this sort-of thing also happened not long before the August and September directs, but I don't know.

I'm expecting 2 newcomers at E3 if one isn't revealed this month...which would be nice, I agree.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I once posted a thread called "Costume Theory" when Joker's accompanying Mii costumes were revealed. Since Sega released their costumes with Joker, and Square Enix will likely release theirs with Erdrick, I predicted that Capcom and Bandai-Namco would follow suit.
Dante satisfies this theory.
But that still leaves the fifth spot a mystery. Maybe it'll be another Konami character like Frogger to top off the third party double (or triple) dipping. Maybe it could be Ryu Hayabusa, as Koei-Tecmo has a Fatal Frame Assist Trophy, and Ryu is their de facto mascot.
Banjo-Kazooie, Crash Bandicoot, and Doom Slayer also make sense. But I think Crash and Spyro would likely be released together to promote DLC season 2.

Anyone else subscribe to the costume theory?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I once posted a thread called "Costume Theory" when Joker's accompanying Mii costumes were revealed. Since Sega released their costumes with Joker, and Square Enix will likely release theirs with Erdrick, I predicted that Capcom and Bandai-Namco would follow suit.
But that still leaves the fifth spot a mystery. Maybe it'll be another Konami character like Frogger to top off the third party double (or triple) dipping. Maybe it could be Ryu Hayabusa, as Koei-Tecmo has a Fatal Frame Assist Trophy, and Ryu is their de facto mascot.
Banjo-Kazooie, Crash Bandicoot, and Doom Slayer also make sense. But I think Crash and Spyro would likely be released together to promote DLC season 2.

I do, if not in a fundamentalist kind of way. It just seems logical that the companies that already have content in Smash would get more (barring Konami who disconfirmed all their candidates). It just so happens that those companies also had Mii Costumes and those are bound to come back at some point.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Really? Thought they had some franchises like Frogger or Mystical Ninja, haven't heard about them disconfirming anything.
I meant candidates I think have an actual chance. Nothing against Frogger or Goemon, but they're not really Smash material, let alone DLC material.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
There's no such thing as a disconfirmation. Companies lie all the time to honor NDAs or just to control hype cycles.
But Frogger is certainly Smash Material. Maybe not super likely, but you cannot sleep on some older legends that the devs grew up with. Look at the Castlevania representation. 30 songs, an Echo Fighter, a unique item, and a boss battle!

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
There's no such thing as a disconfirmation. Companies lie all the time to honor NDAs or just to control hype cycles.
But Frogger is certainly Smash Material. Maybe not super likely, but you cannot sleep on some older legends that the devs grew up with. Look at the Castlevania representation. 30 songs, an Echo Fighter, a unique item, and a boss battle!
I dunno, things like this:
Waluigi.png

When the man straight up says you aint in, you probably aint in.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I still think Monster Hunter is one of the characters on the Fighter Pass. Anyone else with me?

D

Deleted member

An unrelated fighting game character like someone from SNK like Terry or Nakoruru.
Sega is missing the Virtua Fighter costumes that coincided with Ryu's release in Smash 4 alongside the Heihachi costume.

So they will return with a new fighting game character.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Heiachi is also SEGA-owned? Never knew that. I also assumed him to be a very likely candidate after that Smash 4 constume, same with Geno, but now I just don't know anymore.

D

Deleted member

....if you think I said Heihachi was Sega, you didn't read my post right.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Heiachi is also SEGA-owned? Never knew that. I also assumed him to be a very likely candidate after that Smash 4 constume, same with Geno, but now I just don't know anymore.
No, Heihachi belongs to Bamco. That being said, I thought he was a pretty good candidate myself, and I also thought Geno was extremely likely, but alas. Heihachi has more of a shot than Geno does, though.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I still think Monster Hunter is one of the characters on the Fighter Pass. Anyone else with me?
I’m with ya. I think people underestimate the magnitude of Monster Hunter. Well, at least in Japan.

Rathalos might have been the character holding the table while the MH character gets there. Then again I think Resident Evil is the biggest obstacle in its way.

Btw I don’t really care about MH but I’ve finally acknowledged how big it is.

Last edited:

Robdelia

Smash Apprentice
I'm flat-out expecting Monster Hunter to be the Capcom rep considering how well World did in both the West and East, if we do get a Capcom rep in the first place. I think the only contenders for the spot imo are Leon Kennedy (probably RE4 Leon so they can get his suplex in) or Dante. Or it could just be a wildcard pick like Sir Arthur from Ghosts and Goblins.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I mean, yeah, Dragon Quest is already huge and most of us already expect Erdick (myself included). But Monster Hunter is also amongst the behemoth franchises not yet represented, along with maybe Mortal Kombat? I think they are very likely to be included, Monster Hunter especially. Capcom is all down for the DLC cash anyway, and I have no doubt that Monster Hunter as a fighter would sell really well.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm not even sure if we'll get a Capcom character in the Fighter's Pass (there are already three in the base game, though only two of them are unique), but what would Monster Hunter bring to the table? I get Amaterasu, I get Leon Kennedy or Jill Valentine, I definitely get Dante, I even get Phoenix Wright, but I'm not sure what would make Monster Hunter interesting to play as.

Maybe it's my lack of familiarity with the franchise (I've only played Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii), but it seems like there'd be a decent amount of overlap with Cloud or the Fire Emblem cast, combined with some traps as specials. (then again, in my experience, attacks in that game are either clunky and slow or too weak to kill anything within the time limit, so maybe I just haven't found the right play style)

I just figure that there are so many options for a Capcom character that I'm not sure what makes Monster Hunter stand out above the rest, especially since (unlike most of those other franchises) it doesn't seem to have a main character with a stable identity or moveset. I'd be interested in finding out, though.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
The news about Nintendo's E3 plans and some level of focus on their 2019 releases in the direct, perhaps we'll be getting a Smash direct weeks before E3. That or there'll be the one announcement within the E3 direct?

Though I wonder if like, two new characters with stages and spirits, some more Mii costumes and maybe some other new content of some kind, would be enough for a direct after getting the standalone non-Sakurai Joker/3.0.0 video thing.
An unrelated fighting game character like someone from SNK like Terry or Nakoruru.
Sega is missing the Virtua Fighter costumes that coincided with Ryu's release in Smash 4 alongside the Heihachi costume.

So they will return with a new fighting game character.
Maybe Sega or Nintendo saw that Virtua Fighter already had the assist trophy and just didn't bother bringing back the Mii costume amongst the Persona and returning Sonic stuff. That or it's going to be in another wave for "misc" Mii costumes like some more Nintendo ones.

D

Deleted member

I personally doubt Monster Hunter is getting a character.

If it was, we would have had it in base game already instead of just the Rathalos and two tracks.
We would have had a character with a series symbol that the Rathalos Spirit would give a same-series boost to as well as a personal stage for the music to play on instead of playing on any stage that isn't tied to a character.

I don't see things being retroactively changed just to accommodate a DLC fighter.
That's my two cents.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Though I wonder if like, two new characters with stages and spirits, some more Mii costumes and maybe some other new content of some kind, would be enough for a direct after getting the standalone non-Sakurai Joker/3.0.0 video thing.
Trust me, if Nintendo and Sakurai can make a direct that's 40 minutes long and features a lot of talking about options that are a given + no one really cares much about (TURN UP YOUR BRIGHTNESS SETTINGS, FOLKS!), I'm sure they can manage a full direct for that. :4pacman:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'm not even sure if we'll get a Capcom character in the Fighter's Pass (there are already three in the base game, though only two of them are unique), but what would Monster Hunter bring to the table? I get Amaterasu, I get Leon Kennedy or Jill Valentine, I definitely get Dante, I even get Phoenix Wright, but I'm not sure what would make Monster Hunter interesting to play as.

Maybe it's my lack of familiarity with the franchise (I've only played Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii), but it seems like there'd be a decent amount of overlap with Cloud or the Fire Emblem cast, combined with some traps as specials. (then again, in my experience, attacks in that game are either clunky and slow or too weak to kill anything within the time limit, so maybe I just haven't found the right play style)

I just figure that there are so many options for a Capcom character that I'm not sure what makes Monster Hunter stand out above the rest, especially since (unlike most of those other franchises) it doesn't seem to have a main character with a stable identity or moveset.
What makes Monster Hunter special(at least in my eyes) is the wide variety of weaponry the hunter possesses. There are 17 weapon types that the hunter can fight with, ranging from your standard great sword into unique weapons like the gunlance. There are also different traps that they can set up like barrel bombs and shock traps, that's more tools than what any other Capcom character possesses. And sure not all of these weapons might be portrayed in Smash, but the huge potential with weaponry and traps is what makes the hunter an interesting character in my book. They can fight like an offensive trapper with stage control that forces opponents to stick to an area due to the traps that they have set.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I feel like Monster Hunter would be like Brawl Ike, but more of a trap character.
...that's more tools than what any other Capcom character possesses.
Clearly you haven't counted all of Mega Man's weapons. :p

I feel like Rathelos was added as a boss because the thought process was that it would be the best way to represent the series. If that is the case I don't think we'll be seeing Monster Hunter as a playable character anytime soon, but I could very easily be wrong.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Clearly you haven't counted all of Mega Man's weapons. :p

I feel like Rathelos was added as a boss because the thought process was that it would be the best way to represent the series. If that is the case I don't think we'll be seeing Monster Hunter as a playable character anytime soon, but I could very easily be wrong.
Oh I'm well aware Mega Man has the biggest arsenal. I just discounted him because he's already in Smash and I was speaking about Capcom characters that aren't in Smash yet.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Monhun is as much a fighter as they are an actual animal-hunter; that includes multiple weapons, traps, projectiles, status ailments, and throwable items.

And even if they made them as generic as possible, the 5 year long Overhead greatsword slam would put Ike to shaaaaaame.

A really cool depiction of what they can do can be seen in MvCI where they use the female Rathalos armor version and give her hyperarmor attacks, explosive barrel traps, dodge rolls, setup arrows, explosive knife elementals, a temporary speed/damage boost, so on and so forth.

That said, they're not in. If they were, they would've come with the Rathalos boss.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Maybe Sega or Nintendo saw that Virtua Fighter already had the assist trophy and just didn't bother bringing back the Mii costume amongst the Persona and returning Sonic stuff. That or it's going to be in another wave for "misc" Mii costumes like some more Nintendo ones.
Don’t forget Knuckles though. He’s an AT and a Mii Costume.

D

Deleted member

Don’t forget Knuckles though. He’s an AT and a Mii Costume.
That and it may be well and fine for Akira, but it still would leave Jacky if we're going by "already represented" logic.

I find the lack of Virtua Fighter costumes in the Sega set despite Virtua Fighter actually having representation in Smash to be suspicious overall.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I personally doubt Monster Hunter is getting a character.

If it was, we would have had it in base game already instead of just the Rathalos and two tracks.
We would have had a character with a series symbol that the Rathalos Spirit would give a same-series boost to as well as a personal stage for the music to play on instead of playing on any stage that isn't tied to a character.

I don't see things being retroactively changed just to accommodate a DLC fighter.
That's my two cents.
Same series bonus only applies to Primary Spirits, iirc. Rathalos is a support spirit.

D

Deleted member

Same series bonus only applies to Primary Spirits, iirc. Rathalos is a support spirit.
It is?
Thought all the bosses were Primaries. Whoops.
The rest still stands though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom