• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I’m conflicted guys..
My brain says FP5 will be smhxodhsxhkosmosjfhshphoenix
But my heart says Sackboy..
I wonder who’s gonna win! :4pacman:
My heart is honestly okay with any female fighter, but I too have no idea who it will be.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Has KOS-MOS been killed yet?
Nah. It’s actually hard to kill her. I tried to go against her, but it made for some unbelievable circumstances with Nintendo, Namco, and Sakurai when I consider their biases, contributions, and policies. Out of all characters, the leakers struggle with Kosmos. I don’t think it’s a coincidence.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
But does anyone know if Nier Automata's composers are stingy about their licenses?
Keiichi Okabe arranged four different songs for Super Smash and his music studio Monaca is listed in the credits. Okabe also has a track record of creating remixes for special collaborations. In short, both the composer and his music studio are team players. We would get more than two songs.

I was curious as to how they handled 2B's content in SCVI.
Her stage has a late game spoiler in the intro sequence, and a s***load of detail and easter eggs in it. Out of any Soul Calibur guest, she's the one that you can customize the most and she was bundled with a lot of content.

If we're strictly referring to music, her stage included one song, which was a new arrangement. 1 song per stage is the norm for Soul Calibur.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Well I guess you won't be collecting anything that isn't Pikachu, Lucario, or Charizard then. lol

EDIT: *The Sound of Silence plays in the background*
As long as there's still a Pokemon Bank(or equivalent) keeping my Living Pokedex alive, I'll get by. Though I'm still hoping dexit is only temporary, and will be resolved in future releases.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Nah. It’s actually hard to kill her. I tried to go against her, but it made for some unbelievable circumstances with Nintendo, Namco, and Sakurai when I consider their biases, contributions, and policies. Out of all characters, the leakers struggle with Kosmos. I don’t think it’s a coincidence.
Alright dude lol

Shroob

Sup?
Woah have patience, it takes some time for the question to reach the ears of Verge's source's source's source's source's source's source's source's source
And even after that, his source8x will have to ask his source9x, and then they'll need to ask their source10x, and then...

D

Deleted member

MASAHIRO SAKURAI SORA LTD.

Guy's, she's in

:4pacman:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
Iirc Geoff himself said it was fake.

Geoff out here shooting down fakes.
Ah, oh well. I've been wanting to experience the games properly, as I've only been able to emulate them, which has some issues like graphical glitches and lag.

The Xbox version would never work for me, as there was always an issue trying to sign in to Xbox Live that prevented me from actually playing the game.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
As long as there's still a Pokemon Bank(or equivalent) keeping my Living Pokedex alive, I'll get by. Though I'm still hoping dexit is only temporary, and will be resolved in future releases.
Same. I never carry my Pokémon over from one game to the next, but I do recreate a Pokémon team with all of my favorites each game.

Realistically though I'll probably never see my Growlithe, Houndour, Poochyena, Lucario, Herdier, and Pyroar all in one place again (unless I go back to the games In which there isn't much that I care to do in).

Last edited:

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597
It doesn't mean viability but they at least make some Pokemon better and useable. Pinsir, Heracross, Mawile, Sableye, to name a few.

Legions better than the mess that's Dyna/Gigamax anyway.
If you have played the new meta, you would know that Dynamax is the best thing that could have happened to
competitive, it actually forces the opponent to adapt to new situations and not just switch to a counter, for example, thanks to dynamax a Sylveon can kill a Ferrothorn in one hit with Mystic Fire, so now it isnt enough to switch to Ferrothorn everytime there is a fairy in battle, and thats more interesting and fun.

Galarian Evolutions were introduced not necessarily to be viable, but to let their original forms be viable, Eviolite Mr Mime and Corsola are extremely good.

Shroob

Sup?
If you have played the new meta, you would know that Dynamax is the best thing that could have happened to
competitive, it actually forces the opponent to adapt to new situations and not just switch to a counter, for example, thanks to dynamax a Sylveon can kill a Ferrothorn in one hit with Mystic Fire, so now it isnt enough to switch to Ferrothorn everytime there is a fairy in battle, and thats more interesting and fun.

Galarian Evolutions were introduced not necessarily to be viable, but to let their original forms be viable, Eviolite Mr Mime and Corsola are extremely good.
And it's going to be hotbanned by Smogon very soon.

I'm sorry but no, doubling HP stats for 3 turns while giving a Pokemon nearly-Z powered moves that have extra effects like boosting stats is not good.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
They were very clear in wanting to represent the Heroes equally, so they got an equal spread as to emphasize the different games between each of them: an overworld theme and a battle theme.
Or... You add something from the other games, if you must maintain this parity.

Same thing for FF. Add Eternal Wind, Battle on the Big Bridge, Nightbloom, or whatever.
Not everything needs to come from the same installment as the playable character.
Fire Emblem and Castlevania didn't necessitate that.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
To be fair, with all due respect to Hyle Russell, I don't see any real reason to believe his "Dave Throat" source, it always just sounded like fanfiction to me.
Yes, that is assuming that source was correct.

But even if not, Retro did want to use K. Rool at some point, and two games and a port later, after an increasing amount of Rare content finds its way in, he's still absent. Meanwhile Smash gets him after one ballot.

And I get Smash is Smash, but Retro makes the actual DKC games.

I think they do it on purpose, because Mario has to be casual, and fanservice has to stay at a minimum.
Think of a kid who has never played a Mario game: that kid must be able to understand all the content of any Mario game even with 0 experience with the series.

This is why when an old character is reintroduced, it's treated as if it was a new character, with little focus on their past roles (think of Pauline, or even Daisy at the time when she came back from Marioland), and when there's an actual reference to an older more obscure game element, it's extremely minor or left ambiguous (Sherbet Land in Mario Kart is probably a reference to the same location from Warioland, but it's still not clear if it's intentional or just a coincidence, because there is no Warioland element in the tracks with that name).

Baby characters are cute, who cares if they aren't canon? Baby DK is canon? That character from Yoshi's Island DS? You have to ask many questions and do research in order to fully understand it, so it's not worth, because you know, Baby Rosalina is cuter than Baby DK, so why spend effort in making a baby monkey? Not to mention Baby Wario. (I'm sarcastic obviously).

Mario must not have a real continuity, it must not have an hardcore community that can potentially create discrimination among fans; new game, new world... everything back from start, every player comes back to being a casual because their prior knownledge becomes useless, events from previous games won't be referenced aside of some very minor easter eggs.

When a character is excluded (such as Waluigi in MK7) it's probably because it doesn't fit the specific mood of that particular version of the game, or because they already have another character who appeals to the same type of players the removed character was appealing to, and its presence would be unnecessary; or even worse, maybe so in the future they can release another similar game with the missing character included, so that the new game feels different. they do this type of character rotation in some games, especially in Mario Party.

I literally stopped being a Mario fanboy when I realized they were treating the franchise this way, and it happend around Mario Galaxy/Mario Kart Wii.
I'm honestly surprised that Funky Kong in MKWii was a thing actually, because it's the only character who don't fit the logic; it must have been a favorite of the developers or something. Oh, and ROB... WTF they were thinking/planning when they put ROB in MKDS?
I think you're over-thinking it. The target is obviously largely kids, but appealing to the people who do know the characters won't hinder the enjoyment of children, because all Mario characters are made to be kid-friendly. Kids and casuals don't really care about which title spawned which character.

Meanwhile, instead of including the third baby princess, you could include one baby princess, one baby monkey (ape, whatever, shaddup), and, idk, a completely different kind of character, and in effect cast your net much wider. I agree kids won't care that they come from Yoshi's Island DS, but it's a baby DK. That's going to be cute regardless of where it comes from, kids like animals. And you still have, like, Baby Peach. Who also comes from Yoshi's Island DS, btw. But some people will care about the character past being cute, and those people will also be catered towards without really losing much from the casuals.

Casuals and kids really aren't that picky. You think they're going to be turned off because instead of a third Mario, there's a pink dinosaur creature with a bow? Instead of seven Koopalings, there's a second or third Kong? Instead of generic baddy, there's Petey Piranha? As long as like, the core eight are there, casuals and kids are pretty contented.

You act like people can only enjoy these characters if they know from where they originate. Which, by that logic, would confuse casuals when they try to remember which games Toadette or Baby Daisy or Pink-Gold Peach came from to land themselves in Mario Kart. If original characters can curry favour, existing ones definitely can too. It's not like appealing, kid-friendly designs only stem from the Mario Kart team themselves.

And I mean, canon is completely a moot point for the games I'm talking about. There's no canon in Mario Kart, or Mario Party... it barely exists in the mainline games.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I don't know why am I trying to look at leaks. It's only two more days.
Man Geoff himself namedropped Banjo Redooie as a fake leak on a Periscope stream. Maybe he's playing 4D chess but I dunno.

I.D.

Smash Lord
And what is source number whatever going to say anyway assuming it really is her? Reminder that this whole ridiculous situation is happening supposedly because fighter 5 is so super top secret you apparently can't even type their name without Nintendo instantly beheading you.
"Damn, you got me bro it really is kos-mos, sorry for not telling earlier I was just bored"
"It's not her" (It's actually her but **** you vergeben I don't wanna lose my job for your e-cred)
"It's her but please dude don't tell anyone, I have a family to feed and Sakurai has my amiibo collection hostage"

blackghost

Smash Champion
I wouldn't really say that the 5th installment of Gears was the most disappointing. I've heard a lot more praise for it than 4 before it, and certainly more than Judgment which was traditionally considered the black sheep of Gears of War. It wasn't made with the same ambition as basically the rest of the franchise (and certainly not a swan song title in the same way Reach was for Bungie and Halo). 5 seems to have garnered a lot of positive attention as a solid return to form (campaign wise at least for Gears).

I'd also say most Halo fans will say that 4 is the worse game than 5 when it comes to multiplayer especially. 5 managed to make some amends with the fan base despite changes, but 4 was the death of Halo as a multiplayer juggernaut on Xbox.

Also, you left off ODST... one of the best...
im not a hardcore fan of gears or anything but i never saw much valid criticism about 5. just a bunch of ******** that the lead was female.

D

Deleted member

I guess that's one way of putting it.
Look I'm sorry to anyone else reading this who wants her
But I'm kind of lowkey hoping it's not KOS-MOS because I don't want BlackInk to think that any of his completely insane theories had any sort of basis to them.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Didn't Sabi leak Resident Evil 3 Remake for the State of Play before that 4chan post?

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Halo 4 is considered among the worst in terms of multiplayer, but people like it as an overall package a lot more then Halo 5. 5 may have fixed some of the multiplayer, but it still isn't as good as say 2, 3 or Reach. And as an overall package? It is the worst Halo to date with the worst single player campaign with plot points going nowhere, retconning quite a bit of stuff from the previous games (it pretends like 4 never existed) and the shortest campaign of the numbered entries. It also introduced the Req system which we know how that went.
I thought Halo 5's problem with story was that it kinda required reading several of the books to understand what's going on. Said books include Fall of Reach, First Strike, Ghosts of Onyx, the Kilo Five Trilogy, The Forerunner Saga, and the Halo Escalation comics just to name a few. Then again, I'd imagine it would probably be easier to binge read Halopedia if you can't get the books (like me) or if you are not a fan of Karen Traviss (who wrote the Kilo Five trilogy and is generally considered a controversial figure among science fiction authors)

D

Deleted member

I think that in regards to babies and Mario/Peach alts, its just that Nintendo is quite conservative with the budget. Its cheaper to make 5 babies from a similar skeleton than 5 different characters with different ones, unless I'm missing something and end up wrong :b

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
N3ON N3ON About the Mario Kart thing, the stuff I said is what I think the developers' logic is, it doesn't mean that I agree with that logic.
I'm aware that you don't need to know a character's origin in order to enjoy it, and other stuff you mentioned.

When I said I stopped being a Mario fanboy, I mean that I was a Mario fanboy and I lost a big part of interest in the franchise when I realized that not only they were not caring about the hardcore side of their fanbase, they were even doing their best to avoid an hardcore side of their fanbase to exist in the first place.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It's really not hard to predict the R3make trailer for State of Play when Geoff himself said that it was never planned for TGAs. And Banjo Redooie is just piggybacking off of the Clock Tower HD/Phoenix Wright "leak". And again, Geoff himself said Banjo Redooie was fake on a Periscope stream.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
And it's going to be hotbanned by Smogon very soon.

I'm sorry but no, doubling HP stats for 3 turns while giving a Pokemon nearly-Z powered moves that have extra effects like boosting stats is not good.
To be honest, pre-release I thought Dyna was going to be good for competitive. It seemed more balanced than Megas since anything could use it, and it only lasts for three turns.

But the reaction to it has actually been really negative, and you just reminded of that. But the question I have is this: what's worse, Dynamax or Mega Kangaskhan? :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom