• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Give it a few extra days. Capcom Cup is soon. They probably have something for fighting game enthusiasts...
Hope they love Seth.
Wait...wasn't there a 4chan leak that spoiled
him, and also stated that Morrigan is the final character of FP5?

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
2B is still alive on both Leakmon: Vergeben version and Leakmon: Sabi version. So she's my current speculated FP5 character right now unless Nintendo or the Legendary leakers change that.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
2B is still alive on both Leakmon: Vergeben version and Leakmon: Sabi version. So she's my current speculated FP5 character right now unless Nintendo or the Legendary leakers change that.
I can't wait for my 2 music tracks, complementary of Square's involvement.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Wait...wasn't there a 4chan leak that spoiled
him, and also stated that Morrigan is the final character of FP5?
That one was just a piggyback (despite how much I'd love for it to be real) of a more likely leak by X-Kira (well-known SFV dataminer). He claimed Gill and Seth were the last Season 4 characters, so even if Morrigan isn't in Smash, the SFV stuff may be real.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
It's weird, Nintendo creates these characters (well, not the DKC ones, but you get it), and then acts like nobody cares about them.

It probably speaks to the fact that EPD very rarely chooses to acknowledge any character that it (or a predecessor) didn't create, with the exception of Waluigi, and occasionally Diddy. And not just with Mario, in general.
What's sad is that this mentality kinda seeped into Retro's DK games.

Only about seven characters that were present in Rare's DK games actually returned (no pun attended): DK, Diddy, Cranky, Rambi, Squawks, Dixie and Funky. Everyone else in these games were entirely brand new.

The thing is, this may of not entirely been Retro's fault. At least, for what happened with K. Rool and the Kremlings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=353&v=uAw2UnqHJt0&feature=emb_logo

So, this is something we talked about fairly early on with Miyamoto San. What are we going to do about King K. Rool? Is he coming back? We thought about it and we said, 'does he really need to? Why don't we we just come up with something completely new? And this time, make sure there are no crocodiles in there.' So that's when I asked Retro to come up with some fresh new ideas, and that's when they came up with this new enemy concept of the Tiki.
Some people say that Retro simply just wanted to do their own thing, but going by the above, it's clear that wasn't the case. It was Miyamoto and Tanabe that came to the conclusion that K. Rool didn't need to return, and essentially mandated Retro to just come up with their own original villains and not bring back the Kremlings.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The thing about the Koopalings is, usually, if you get one, you get all seven, which is a big chunk of whatever roster that could be dedicated to branching out in other ways. Smash did it right, by making them all alts of the same character. Their appearance on the MK roster, for example, comes off a little like filler, especially when they consistently choose to omit unique characters like E. Gadd, Kamek, almost anyone from DKC, or even past ones like Petey Piranha and Birdo.

Well, they're part of why it feels like filler, the other is the increasing amount of derivative characters like Mario and Peach covered in various alloys or a completely unnecessary amount of baby characters (that don't even use existing ones like Baby Wario or Baby DK).

I really don't get it. The Mario series has such better options to work with. I don't even bother entertaining the possibility of RPG characters getting acknowledged, because that seems like a total lost cause (outside of Smash, at least). But it does make me happy that EPD doesn't create, or really seem to influence the Smash roster at all. Three Links would actually look tame in comparison to their version.

But **** would Geno and Mallow have fit right in to Double Dash perfectly.
From what I've heard, apparently the Mario Kart dev's don't seem to care as much about the roster selection in the games. So long as the Mario Kart 64 cast is there, that's good enough for them.

I don't know how true that is but I guess it would explain the number of bizzare character selections in the past and the infamous omission of Waluigi in Mario Kart 7...

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
mega evolution revived the fanbase in a way i hadn't seen since gen 4 competitive changes but then it got left on the side of the road.
Which is good because it sucked.

New evolutions for old Pokemon is one of the coolest things ever, and they had to go and ruin them by making them temporary and impossible to collect or transfer to future games. Gigantimax forms have the same problem.

Alolan(and Galarian) forms are better. But the fact that they share the same name and Pokedex # despite being functionally totally new Pokemon is also stupid.

D

Deleted member

That one was just a piggyback (despite how much I'd love for it to be real) of a more likely leak by X-Kira (well-known SFV dataminer). He claimed Gill and Seth were the last Season 4 characters, so even if Morrigan isn't in Smash, the
So it was all a piggyback then.

Well, at least we could get a hint of SFVI by that time. Geez.

StormC

Smash Hero
Expecting a double dip of third party companies on this Pass? Bold strategy, Cotton.

D

Deleted member

It was so cool that Sakurai figured out how to exploit the "2 songs per character" rule by getting 4 Heroes instead of one. He had to settle for the MIDI and only 6 notes of the Overture, but it's something.

D

Deleted member

I mean, this is totally accurate XD

Plank08

Smash Lord
Ok but the 3ds and Switch both have scummy f2p games. Remember Rusty? Remember when Nintendo tried advertising this?

This is something an old Fallout game or Cyberpunk would make up as parody and NINTENDO of all people made it reality
Actually it’s a lot better than most free to play games because in the game, your able to hassle with the shopkeeper to a much lower price for the games, I’m pretty sure you could hassle it to free

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Well TBH that's the stingyness of Uematsu and Sugiyama. SE is pretty open about using 2B in crossovers right now.

But does anyone know if Nier Automata's composers are stingy about their licenses?

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Y'know, looking back on it all, the DLC cycle that is the Fighter's pass has been quite interesting in the results (I might be paraphrasing a post from the Geno thread)
  • Joker: Quite literally no one saw him coming (cue meme music), even when he got datamined back in November 28th he never got leaked out since it was a week or so before release and the dataminers thought the "Jack" was Raiden
  • Hero: Smash Ultimate's worst kept secret what with being datamined as early as December 5th and leaked (by Milk Bosatu) as early as October 11th
  • Banjo: Some people already knew he would be coming, but the idea was so hard to imagine that it was unbelievable. It's only when E3 was approaching that people started to believe it
  • Terry: A big secret that only got leaked because of a Nintendo **** up
  • Fighter 5: Currently unknown and has resulted in insiders fighting each other

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
Nah honor goes to Sword and Shield. Mostly because the amount of amazing features they keep adding and throwing away accumulates with each game.
To be honest, even as lackluster as XY was story and difficulty wise, Gen 6 introduced some of the best mechanics in the series like PSS, which is the best online service in the series and Dex Nav, which made getting Hidden Abilities actually fun and convenient (if not a bit time-consuming).

Gen 6 also made it way easier to get into competitive play by allowing Destiny Knot to pass down IVs to baby Pokemon, and Super Training, a fun minigame to EV train your Pokemon to perfection.

Man, I miss Gen 6's mechanics. I spent more than 500 hours playing ORAS, as it was just so fun to catch and build Pokemon in those games. If only they would stop removing features in every new game.

Shroob

Sup?
Which is good because it sucked.

New evolutions for old Pokemon is one of the coolest things ever, and they had to go and ruin them by making them temporary and impossible to collect or transfer to future games. Gigantimax forms have the same problem.

Alolan(and Galarian) forms are better. But the fact that they share the same name and Pokedex # despite being functionally totally new Pokemon is also stupid.
You're wrong and right, because even if an old Pokemon gets an evolution doesn't mean it'll be good, a lot of the new Galar evolutions just suck.

Mega Evolutions at the very least made a lot of fan favorites like Pinsir, Heracross, etc viable to actually use in battles, and while a LOT of Pokemon got them that didn't need them, like Salamence or Metagross, I'd take making old Pokemon actually useful than giving an old Pokemon an evolution that's still useless any day.

Jassassino

Smash Apprentice
Y'know, looking back on it all, the DLC cycle that is the Fighter's pass has been quite interesting in the results (I might be paraphrasing a post from the Geno thread)
  • Joker: Quite literally no one saw him coming (cue meme music), even when he got datamined back in November 28th he never got leaked out since it was a week or so before release and the dataminers thought the "Jack" was Raiden
  • Hero: Smash Ultimate's worst kept secret what with being datamined as early as December 5th and leaked (by Milk Bosatu) as early as October 11th
  • Banjo: Some people already knew he would be coming, but the idea was so hard to imagine that it was unbelievable. It's only when E3 was approaching that people started to believe it
"I guess in the end, the fighter pack 5 was us all along." - Sabi and Verge

D

Deleted member

I guess...this final fighter will be memorable for causing people to go war freak.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Ok but the 3ds and Switch both have scummy f2p games. Remember Rusty? Remember when Nintendo tried advertising this?

This is something an old Fallout game or Cyberpunk would make up as parody and NINTENDO of all people made it reality
2014/2015 Nintendo was extremely desperate

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
The thing about the Koopalings is, usually, if you get one, you get all seven, which is a big chunk of whatever roster that could be dedicated to branching out in other ways. Smash did it right, by making them all alts of the same character. Their appearance on the MK roster, for example, comes off a little like filler, especially when they consistently choose to omit unique characters like E. Gadd, Kamek, almost anyone from DKC, or even past ones like Petey Piranha and Birdo.

Well, they're part of why it feels like filler, the other is the increasing amount of derivative characters like Mario and Peach covered in various alloys or a completely unnecessary amount of baby characters (that don't even use existing ones like Baby Wario or Baby DK).

I really don't get it. The Mario series has such better options to work with. I don't even bother entertaining the possibility of RPG characters getting acknowledged, because that seems like a total lost cause (outside of Smash, at least). But it does make me happy that EPD doesn't create, or really seem to influence the Smash roster at all. Three Links would actually look tame in comparison to their version.

But **** would Geno and Mallow have fit right in to Double Dash perfectly.
I will forever hold that Mario Kart 8 has one of the worst rosters in any Mario spinoff. Sure, you have the cool crossover characters, but like you said, it’s hard to look past the mountain of babies, the obnoxious metal duo, and all of the wasted potential.

For as much as people **** on Mario Tennis Aces, that game at least managed to have a fantastic roster by the time it finished. Nintendo refusing to update it’s best selling game with more characters, or anything, is so disappointing.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Only about seven characters that were present in Rare's DK games actually returned (no pun attended): DK, Diddy, Cranky, Rambi, Squawks, Dixie and Funky. Everyone else in these games were entirely brand new.

The thing is, this may of not entirely been Retro's fault. At least, for what happened with K. Rool and the Kremlings.

Some people say that Retro simply just wanted to do their own thing, but going by the above, it's clear that wasn't the case. It was Miyamoto and Tanabe that came to the conclusion that K. Rool didn't need to return, and essentially mandated Retro to just come up with their own original villains and not bring back the Kremlings.
iirc, Retro had to push to even include Diddy in DKCR. I might be mistaken on that, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading that. It was either Diddy in DKCR or Dixie in DKCTF.

I mean, look at the direction EAD took DK with Jungle Beat. No Rare Kongs at all. They probably would've even made DK take off his tie had it not been Miyamoto's idea to put it on in the first place.

From what I've heard, apparently the Mario Kart dev's don't seem to care as much about the roster selection in the games. So long as the Mario Kart 64 cast is there, that's good enough for them.

I don't know how true that is but I guess it would explain the number of bizzare character selections in the past and the infamous omission of Waluigi in Mario Kart 7...
Looking at the rosters, it certainly would appear that way. It honestly comes off a bit lazy in their asset reuse, which is strange for such an immaculately polished game in other respects.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
So what's the current situation?
King zell just hinted once again that halo (master chief collection in particular) is coming to Nintendo (switch)

And now because of this people are speculating he could be FP5 reveal with it (if it happens)

And reminder to everyone who keeps saying not gonna happen because we got banjo (2 Microsoft reps) there’s only 2 rules of smash

“No 4th parties like goku/shrek/iron man for example” and “the character has to Ben on a Nintendo game and that roadblock might finally be removed from master Chief chances for smash)

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
At least your game was better off not existing.

At least your games got a sequel. When's Okami 2 coming Kamiya? Love the HD love, but c'mon (in b4 someone says Okamiden).

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
iirc, Retro had to push to even include Diddy in DKCR. I might be mistaken on that, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading that. It was either Diddy in DKCR or Dixie in DKCTF.

I mean, look at the direction EAD took DK with Jungle Beat. No Rare Kongs at all. They probably would've even made DK take off his tie had it not been Miyamoto's idea to put it on in the first place.

Looking at the rosters, it certainly would appear that way. It honestly comes off a bit lazy in their asset reuse, which is strange for such an immaculately polished game in other respects.
Seems to be a Japanese thing where they like to do their own take on things. Apparently it's out of respect to the originals?
Look at Super Mario Land, Daisy owes her existence to it.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
I will forever hold that Mario Kart 8 has one of the worst rosters in any Mario spinoff. Sure, you have the cool crossover characters, but like you said, it’s hard to look past the mountain of babies, the obnoxious metal duo, and all of the wasted potential.

For as much as people **** on Mario Tennis Aces, that game at least managed to have a fantastic roster by the time it finished. Nintendo refusing to update it’s best selling game with more characters, or anything, is so disappointing.
This is one of the main reasons why I still think that Mario Kart Wii is still better than 8. For all the things 8 does right (beautiful visuals, amazing music, solid gameplay, etc) it still suffers from an underwhelming character roster.

Heck, Deluxe only added like 3 new characters from the original when they could have went all in on adding new ones. More than 2 years later, and the only character they added since release was BOTW Link as a skin.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Same. She's still in the running but I've already mentally prepared myself for if she doesn't make it in.

They gave Hero more than 2 tracks. If was a damn travesty what they did for the FF music.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Same. She's still in the running but I've already mentally prepared myself for if she doesn't make it in.

They gave Hero more than 2 tracks. If was a damn travesty what they did for the FF music.
If Neku becomes DLC they better give him FAR more than two tracks...

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
This is one of the main reasons why I still think that Mario Kart Wii is still better than 8. For all the things 8 does right (beautiful visuals, amazing music, solid gameplay, etc) it still suffers from an underwhelming character roster.

Heck, Deluxe only added like 3 new characters from the original when they could have went all in on adding new ones. More than 2 years later, and the only character they added since release was BOTW Link as a skin.
And yet they still didn't have the decency to put Captain Falcon in despite adding F-Zero tracks and kart beforehand. It still hurts.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

They gave him 8 tracks, because there were 4 Heroes, each representing a different game.

4x2 is 8

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
The biggest problem with 2B at the moment is that we've already have a Square-Enix character in the form of Hero, and I just can't really see 2/5 of the Fighters Pass being dedicated to one company. Same reason I don't expect to see Master Chief or Steve as Fighter #5, because we already have Banjo & Kazooie from Microsoft.

I think she has a good chance afterwards, unless Sakurai is serious about his commitment to Geno. I'd say the one thing that might be a knock against her is the fact that the Nier IP doesn't really have any history on Nintendo consoles at all, not even any spinoffs like with Persona. That is, unless Nier Automata or the older games are secretly being ported to Switch, which...I can see happening.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master

"So, this is something we talked about fairly early on with Miyamoto San. What are we going to do about King K. Rool? Is he coming back? We thought about it and we said, 'does he really need to? Why don't we we just come up with something completely new? And this time, make sure there are no crocodiles in there.'"

God, this makes my blood boil every single time I see it again. Does he really need to? Uh, yes? He's kind of the ESTABLISHED MAIN VILLAIN AND HIGHLY BELOVED? Oh, but no, he's not a Nintendo creation, so make sure we don't have any of those vile crocodiles in there. That's filthy.

I'm so glad Sakurai brought him back, because as much as Miyamoto is a genius, his and Tanabe's thinking is so horrible when it comes to creations that aren't theirs... and hell, even creations that ARE.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
"So, this is something we talked about fairly early on with Miyamoto San. What are we going to do about King K. Rool? Is he coming back? We thought about it and we said, 'does he really need to? Why don't we we just come up with something completely new? And this time, make sure there are no crocodiles in there.'"

God, this makes my blood boil every single time I see it again. Does he really need to? Uh, yes? He's kind of the ESTABLISHED MAIN VILLAIN AND HIGHLY BELOVED? Oh, but no, he's not a Nintendo creation, so make sure we don't have any of those vile crocodiles in there. That's filthy.

I'm so glad Sakurai brought him back, because as much as Miyamoto is a genius, his and Tanabe's thinking is so horrible when it comes to creations that aren't theirs... and hell, even creations that ARE.
Kinda feel bad for Retro. "Can we use K. Rool?" "No, I don't see why he needs to come back"

*ballot happens*

"See, people like K. Rool, can we use him in this port?" "No, Sakurai gets to use him first"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom