• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
CURSE YOU JDCabrera!
YOU GOT ME!

I have been supporting Master Chief ever since Cloud got into Smash 4.
Then will be two for two under Brawl Taunts' belt.
Time stamp should be around 14:09.

Because of Pikachu talking, this predicted Detective Pikachu. I'm convinced the people who made this are prophets.

Ivander

Smash Legend
At least your Capcom series is still respectable...
Back when Mobile games were considered the bane of every console series. :(

At the least, the mobile game gave us the best Ryu design.

Like that is a very great Ryu design, and so much more recognisable compared to the Dragon Quarter version. Like, that is a design that should actually come back, cause that is a frickin' great design.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Lol I could buy 2 ps4s and the RE3 remake with that cash.
I picked it up about... 7 years ago? 6? Something. Before the sudden craze for Saturn games started and all the prices inflated.

Got my copy for $350. Which was still at least $100 cheaper than most at the time. Like, yeah, that's too much, but seeing how the price went up, it was definitely worth it.

Plus there's something special about beating the game on its original console the way it was supposed to be played.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

Like that is a very great Ryu design, and so much more recognisable compared to the Dragon Quarter version. Like, that is a design that should actually come back, cause that is a frickin' great design.
this makes me hope capcom does a Breath of Fire Collection or something

D

Deleted member

Plus there's something special about beating the game on its original console the way it was supposed to be played.
I'll toast to that. There's nothing as magical as having to start your N64 at least five times before you can play Goldeneye 64.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'll toast to that. There's nothing as magical as having to start your N64 at least five times before you can play Goldeneye 64.
Or that specific soreness on your thumb from using its ****ty controller's ****ty joystick.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well not in terms of the fans, no, fans love the game

But for Nintendo and Square, apart from ports, the game might as well be chopped liver lmao

Then again I can say that about every Mario RPG right now, RIP AlphaDream and good Paper Mario
But it's not exactly atypical for a game to just... not get remade. Especially a Nintendo one. And the lack of references isn't because they don't care, it's because legally they can't really include any of the defining elements without involvement of another company. But they did stick it on the SNES Classic over Chrono Trigger or DKC2 or games of similar esteem. They even released it digitally in Europe despite having never been available there.

And I mean, the RPG characters barely get referenced outside their specific sub-series anyway, even the ones Nintendo owns. Which is unfortunate, but doesn't even make the SMRPG content that much of an aberration.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
And Pokemon Z. It's gotta be coming any day now. *withers away into a skeleton*
God. XY has got to be the biggest waste of potential in the series by far. They introduced all these characters like AZ and Diantha but barely did anything with them. Of the gym leaders, only Korrina had significant involvement in the overall story due to introducing the main mechanic of the generation (Mega Evolution). And the "rivals" were an absolute joke. Sword and Shield are the most controversial installments, but XY will always be some of my least favorite Pokemon games.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
But it's not exactly atypical for a game to just... not get remade. Especially a Nintendo one. And the lack of references isn't because they don't care, it's because legally they can't really include any of the defining elements without involvement of another company. But they did stick it on the SNES Classic over Chrono Trigger or DKC2 or games of similar esteem. They even released it digitally in Europe despite having never been available there.

And I mean, the RPG characters barely get referenced outside their specific sub-series anyway, even the ones Nintendo owns. Which is unfortunate, but doesn't even make the SMRPG content that much of an aberration.
I've said this many times, but if it took fans stuffing the ballot to revive King K. Rool, the main villain of the Donkey Kong series, it really shows how low priority these various Mario spin-off characters are that get stuffed into a vault and never revisited.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

Eh, you're right. That's all true.

It's just ultimately a tragedy to me that the RPGs often get buried, but I guess I'm pretty biased.

D

Deleted member

I've said this many times, but if it took fans stuffing the ballot to revive King K. Rool, the main villain of the Donkey Kong series, it really shows how low priority these various Mario spin-off characters are that get stuffed into a vault and never revisited.
Then I hope Geno fans stuffed that ballot like a portly child on Thanksgiving.

Last edited by a moderator:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
As much as I want to believe that, I doubt they'll ever remake Saga. It's simply too niche.

I do hope the remake sells though and paves the way for Zwei, Orta and PD4. Saga, though, is my new Shenmue III: a pipe dream that will never ever happen.

So who knows!
AFAIK, Zwei is already in the pipeline, from what was said a while back.
And Orta would work fine as an upscaled port, so I expect that one will be cheap enough to move over if there's any interest in the first 2.

I'd say they still are a bane when they're low-effort and replace traditional sequels rather than coexist with them as side-projects.*
Cinderella Girls? Great. Fed back into the media franchise and actually added a lot to iDOLM@STER. Super Robot Wars Omega? Doesn't seem to be blocking further console games, so sure? Why not?

If Nintendo were to decide that FE:H were the future of Fire Emblem entirely, I think people would be a bit more salty towards it. >_>

But the art design was on-point, I'll give you that.

*Though I'm probably a hypocrite for being perfectly fine with a series focusing on a proper MMO or ORPG iteration instead. >_>

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
God. XY has got to be the biggest waste of potential in the series by far. They introduced all these characters like AZ and Diantha but barely did anything with them. Of the gym leaders, only Korrina had significant involvement in the overall story due to introducing the main mechanic of the generation (Mega Evolution). And the "rivals" were an absolute joke. Sword and Shield are the most controversial installments, but XY will always be my least favorite Pokemon games.
Nah honor goes to Sword and Shield. Mostly because the amount of amazing features they keep adding and throwing away accumulates with each game.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Nah honor goes to Sword and Shield. Mostly because the amount of amazing features they keep adding and throwing away accumulates with each game.
Yeah. Those games are bad, too. It's annoying how the adult characters like Leon and Sonia do important activities off-screen while you're forced to keep doing the gym challenge. Has GameFreak never heard of "Show. Don't tell."?

Aaaaanyways, I can't believe we're only two days away from the Game Awards. I'm looking forward to it, even if we don't get a reveal!

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
As far as I know, Zell has never been wrong.

I find it hard to believe Halo would come to Switch before the Rare games, but we live in a brave new world with Microsoft/Nintendo collaborations.

I don't think MCC on Switch means Master Chief is getting in though.
Yeah...

Reminder that even though Banjo & Kazooie joined Smash, Sakurai had to tell the viewers that you needed an Xbox to play their games.

Business doesn’t end up going in the direction people think it goes, even if it makes sense at first.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just got to school. Saw you guys talkin' bout Capcom. Cries because no love for Darkstalkers...oh well, when does Capcom ever respect our wishes anyway?

Resident Evil 3 trailer was lit

At least they got their fun. Where's with the FGC?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Eh, you're right. That's all true.

It's just ultimately a tragedy to me that the RPGs often get buried, but I guess I'm pretty biased.
Not only is it a shame that the RPG characters seem to get annexed away from any other parts of the greater series, but it's even more of a shame that now top brass seems to want fewer of them created in the first place.

Like, why be so austere? You never did anything with them anyway. And people aren't going to forget who Peach and Bowser are if you create some new characters as well.

Plus this is a little tangential but, like, the Koopalings are a thing Nintendo, we get it.

It's weird, Nintendo creates these characters (well, not the DKC ones, but you get it), and then acts like nobody cares about them.

It probably speaks to the fact that EPD very rarely chooses to acknowledge any character that it (or a predecessor) didn't create, with the exception of Waluigi, and occasionally Diddy. And not just with Mario, in general.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Yeah. Those games are bad, too. It's annoying how the adult characters like Leon and Sonia do important activities off-screen while you're forced to keep doing the gym challenge. Has GameFreak never heard of "Show. Don't tell."?

Aaaaanyways, I can't believe we're only two days away from the Game Awards. I'm looking forward to it, even if we don't get a reveal!
pokemon is in a wierd spot. most games and game series have become more complex over time. even if a game series has become easier over time (FE, Halo, sf, and more examples) it has grown more complex. Pokemon has utterly refused to become a better story, make rivals interesting, make lasting battle mechanic chages AND stuck with them.mega evolution revived the fanbase in a way i hadn't seen since gen 4 competitive changes but then it got left on the side of the road. Pokemon will always sell but i dont think pokemon captivates anymore. Its having the same issues that halo had between 4 and 5.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Just got to school. Saw you guys talkin' bout Capcom. Cries because no love for Darkstalkers...oh well, when does Capcom ever respect our wishes anyway?

Resident Evil 3 trailer was lit

At least they got their fun. Where's with the FGC?
Give it a few extra days. Capcom Cup is soon. They probably have something for fighting game enthusiasts...
Hope they love Seth.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
AFAIK, Zwei is already in the pipeline, from what was said a while back.
And Orta would work fine as an upscaled port, so I expect that one will be cheap enough to move over if there's any interest in the first 2.
Yeah, the initial rumor said they were remaking PD and Zwei, though they've only announced PD.

And technically there's already been an upscaling of Orta. If you play it on XB1 they upscaled the textures and resolution to make it look good in 4K. Can confirm, it looks gorgeous. They could probably port that over to other consoles without too huge of a hassle, I'd imagine.

At least your game was better off not existing.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
What games are in the Master Chief Collection BTW?

Just the first three or is there more than that?
Started out that way, but they keep adding more to it as time goes by(for free). Now everything but the most recent Halo game is in it.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Not only is it a shame that the RPG characters seem to get annexed away from any other parts of the greater series, but it's even more of a shame that now top brass seems to want fewer of them created in the first place.

Like, why be so austere? You never did anything with them anyway. And people aren't going to forget who Peach and Bowser are if you create some new characters as well.

Plus this is a little tangential but, like, the Koopalings are a thing Nintendo, we get it.

It's weird, Nintendo creates these characters (well, not the DKC ones, but you get it), and then acts like nobody cares about them.

It probably speaks to the fact that EPD very rarely chooses to acknowledge any character that it (or a predecessor) didn't create, with the exception of Waluigi, and occasionally Diddy. And not just with Mario, in general.
It's pretty sad, honestly. The case with Geno and Mallow is definitely a tougher one due to copyright, but then... what about the ones owned by Nintendo, made through second parties? What about fan favorites there like Vivian, Doopliss, Dimentio, Peasley, and Fawful? People would love to see them make more appearances, and if it meant less Baby Rosalina or Baby Daisy, then whatever. I mean, at least the RPG characters are... actually characters that had significance in story. Heck, even Baby Peach had that via YI:DS.

Also, I love the Koopalings, but... weeee can switch 'em out with some other characters from time-to-time, yeah? You know, keep things fresh? Make Koopaling inclusion feel that much more special again? Give love to the large amount of other Mario characters to exist? That'd be nice.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Honestly, Halo coming to Switch before the Rare stuff DOES makes sense to me.

You have to consider that Microsoft hasn't really bothered to actually natively port Rare's old legacy games to modern hardware, like what they've been doing with Ori to Switch and Halo to PC. Rare Replay just utilizes a bunch of emulators for its games, even the Xbox 360 ones. Banjo/PD/Conker/whatever obviously just aren't a high enough priority for MS, considering that they're not active series that are getting new installments like how Halo or Ori are. I feel like if MS never bothered natively porting the XBLA Banjo games and Perfect Dark games to PC and even Xbox One, then yeah, Switch ports were always a pipe dream.

For now, I think the best opportunity of bringing Rare's N64 games to Switch is for Nintendo to do an N64 equivalent to the NES and SNES online services, and work it out with Microsoft to possibly bring in the unaltered ROMs to the service, which would cost Microsoft a lot less to do than having to go through the trouble of porting the games.

Last edited:

Lighteni

Smash Journeyman
It's pretty sad, honestly. The case with Geno and Mallow is definitely a tougher one due to copyright, but then... what about the ones owned by Nintendo, made through second parties? What about fan favorites there like Vivian, Doopliss, Dimentio, Peasley, and Fawful? People would love to see them make more appearances, and if it meant less Baby Rosalina or Baby Daisy, then whatever. I mean, at least the RPG characters are... actually characters that had significance in story. Heck, even Baby Peach had that via YI:DS.

Also, I love the Koopalings, but... weeee can switch 'em out with some other characters from time-to-time, yeah? You know, keep things fresh? Make Koopaling inclusion feel that much more special again? Give love to the large amount of other Mario characters to exist? That'd be nice.
Yeah, it’s unfortunate not just with Mario, but with other series as well, how many good character designs are created but then pretty much immediately forgotten about. Look at Pokemon, which refuses to acknowledge the countless popular characters stemming from the side series games. In a way it’s understandable, of course Nintendo would rather promote a consistent set of core characters rather than constantly highlighting different lesser-known characters, but it really reduces the variety and makes things stale sometimes. Even games that are all about the ensemble like Mario Party usually only stick to the bare essentials.

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, Halo coming to Switch before the Rare stuff DOES makes sense to me.

You have to consider that Microsoft hasn't really bothered to actually natively port Rare's old legacy games to modern hardware, like what they've been doing with Ori to Switch and Halo to PC. Rare Replay just utilizes a bunch of emulators for its games, even the Xbox 360 ones. Banjo/PD/Conker/whatever obviously just aren't a high enough priority for MS, considering that they're not active series that are getting new installments like how Halo or Ori are. I feel like if MS never bothered natively porting the XBLA Banjo games and Perfect Dark games to PC and even Xbox One, then yeah, Switch ports were always a pipe dream.

For now, I think the best opportunity of brining Rare's N64 games to Switch is for Nintendo to do an N64 equivalent to the NES and SNES online services, and work it out with Microsoft to possibly bring in the unaltered ROMs to the service, which would cost Microsoft a lot less to do.
You're not wrong, but once you try BK360, it's hard to go back to the N64 version.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Started out that way, but they keep adding mpore to it as time goes by(forr free). Now everything but the most recent Halo game is in it.
Marcus Fenix collection when.

It's actually funny how parallel Halo and Gears have been as series, right down to the modern 5th installment disappointing more than any other.

Halo > 2 > 3 > Reach > Wars > 4 > 1 Remake > 5 > Wars 2
Gears > 2 > 3 > Judgment > 1 Remake > 4 > 5 > Tactics

Except the non-numerical prequel on Halo's side was received much better than Gears's.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I feel that Pokemon is in a game series version of a seasonal rot that started with XY. Basically ever since the main games went 3D, there's been the lack of post-game content, the main story being easier than the previous games, and the games looking noticably unpolished at launch that's even more noticable with Sword & Shield now.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm looking forward to Sail Away as it looks to scratch my AC4 itch without the stupid tailing missions.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

The thing about the Koopalings is, usually, if you get one, you get all seven, which is a big chunk of whatever roster that could be dedicated to branching out in other ways. Smash did it right, by making them all alts of the same character. Their appearance on the MK roster, for example, comes off a little like filler, especially when they consistently choose to omit unique characters like E. Gadd, Kamek, almost anyone from DKC, or even past ones like Petey Piranha and Birdo.

Well, they're part of why it feels like filler, the other is the increasing amount of derivative characters like Mario and Peach covered in various alloys or a completely unnecessary amount of baby characters (that don't even use existing ones like Baby Wario or Baby DK).

I really don't get it. The Mario series has such better options to work with. I don't even bother entertaining the possibility of RPG characters getting acknowledged, because that seems like a total lost cause (outside of Smash, at least). But it does make me happy that EPD doesn't create, or really seem to influence the Smash roster at all. Three Links would actually look tame in comparison to their version.

But **** would Geno and Mallow have fit right in to Double Dash perfectly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom