• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Doom Slayer's chances may fall if Master Chief gets in, but it doesn't kill his potential inclusion.
Their movesets would vary based their weapons; Master Chief could use Covenant and Forerunner weapons while Doom Slayer could use UAC weapons.
Their choice of music would be completely different:

Plus Doom Slayer could use his "Doomguy" to distinguish himself from Master Chief.
I'll admit that I'm not as familiar with HALO as I am with DOOM (I've only played one game it Master Chief in it; that being the first one), but I could see Master Chief being more of a generalist or a spacer/zoner than Doomguy, who instead has a more grappler/rushdown kind of feel in addition to being a zoner. They'd both be projectile-based heavyweights, but Master Chief would be more defense based than Doomguy.

Shroob

Sup?
To be honest, pre-release I thought Dyna was going to be good for competitive. It seemed more balanced than Megas since anything could use it, and it only lasts for three turns.

But the reaction to it has actually been really negative, and you just reminded of that. But the question I have is this: what's worse, Dynamax or Mega Kangaskhan? :laugh:
Mega Khan got nerfed in Gen 7 to a manageable state.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I wouldn't really say that the 5th installment of Gears was the most disappointing. I've heard a lot more praise for it than 4 before it, and certainly more than Judgment which was traditionally considered the black sheep of Gears of War. It wasn't made with the same ambition as basically the rest of the franchise (and certainly not a swan song title in the same way Reach was for Bungie and Halo). 5 seems to have garnered a lot of positive attention as a solid return to form (campaign wise at least for Gears).

I'd also say most Halo fans will say that 4 is the worse game than 5 when it comes to multiplayer especially. 5 managed to make some amends with the fan base despite changes, but 4 was the death of Halo as a multiplayer juggernaut on Xbox.

Also, you left off ODST... one of the best...
Well the Gears forums and current community disagree with you on Gears 5.

Gears 5 was received very well by critics because the campaign was bold and well-done. But the launch was a disaster with a plague of server issues, awful weapons balancing and map design that promoted camping hard, broken matchmaking and an even more broken ranking system that they've rebooted twice now and still haven't fixed, etc. Europe still doesn't have any dedicated servers, and we're now three months into release.

The community dropped out of the game hard and its player base is abysmally small right now. It's bad. Like, it looks great and the campaign was good but at the moment hardly anyone wants to play it. I can't find a Horde match via public matchmaking to save my life because there simply aren't four other people looking for a match at the same time as I am.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Same. I never carry my Pokémon over from one game to the next, but I do recreate a Pokémon team with all of my favorites each game.
I always play through each new Gen with a team of newcomers. Then, I transfer my entire Bank in to complete the National Dex(until Sw/Sh obvs.), then they all get sent back to the Bank, and my newcomer team joins all my other Favorites.

At which point I switch to my REAL favorites, my all-Dark edgelord team of Honchkrow, Houndoom, Gteninja, Krookodile, Weavile and Tyranitar(who will be immediately replaced if they ever add a Dark/Electric Type that isn't lame).

Realistically though I'll probably never see my Growlithe, Houndour, Poochyena, Lucario, Herdier, and Pyroar all in one place again (unless I go back to the games In which there isn't much that I care to do in).
What's with that one cat in there?! Ruining the theme! Need to replace him with a Boltund!

Also, replace that Herdier wth a nice Lycanroc. Nobody likes Normal-types.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
It's really not hard to predict the R3make trailer for State of Play when Geoff himself said that it was never planned for TGAs. And Banjo Redooie is just piggybacking off of the Clock Tower HD/Phoenix Wright "leak". And again, Geoff himself said Banjo Redooie was fake on a Periscope stream.
What's this second leak?

Because this just sounds like it's piggybacking off the TGA leak, which is dead.

Lighteni

Smash Journeyman
I’d guess the choices for the roster in Mario games is a consistency issue. It’s better to have a set list of 20 or so characters that you can constantly use and make recognisable, like the Koopalings, rather than constantly swapping people out for more obscure characters that might not stick in people’s minds when the roster is constantly rotating. And at that point it’s just better to use characters already in the main series for that set list people are going to recognise.

Shroob

Sup?
True, but what about Gen 6? Was she worse or as bad as Dyna? I remember people HATED Mega Kanga.
She was banned to Ubers so it really didn't matter, you can do whatever you want in Ubers.

The issue with Dynamaxing is some Pokemon just abuse it too damn hard like Hawlucha or Gyrados.

Flying and Fighting are THE BEST typing for Dynamax moves, with Grass and Water being behind in that order, with a bit of Fire as well.

And because of this, anyone who wants to ladder in higher tiers of play HAS to run Ditto to counter the Dynamax buffs.

When you're forced into running a specific Pokemon just to counter a game mechanic that isn't tied to an item unlike Megas or Z-Moves, ****'s ****ed.

D

Deleted member

What's this second leak?

Because this just sounds like it's piggybacking off the TGA leak, which is dead.
Apparently Banjo-Redooie is getting announced since there's RE3 content on State of Play.

The TGA leak isn't dead; there's still Clock Tower remake and SMT V to look forward to.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
True, but what about Gen 6? Was she worse or as bad as Dyna? I remember people HATED Mega Kanga.
Hot take, but Mega Kangaskhan wasn't even the most broken Mega (Not counting Mega Rayquaza or the Primals). That was actually Mega Salamence. Also Mega Kangaskhan is very different to Dynamax. Dynamax is what allows for snowballs, where as Mega Kangaskhan can't do that.

Shroob

Sup?
Apparently Banjo-Redooie is getting announced since there's RE3 content on State of Play.

The TGA leak isn't dead; there's still Clock Tower remake and SMT V to look forward to.
The TGA leak is dead.

It said the KH3 trailer was for TGA, which Geoff says it's not. I'd think he'd know best what trailers aren't for his show he's hosting.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
What's this second leak?

This.
I don't know why am I trying to look at leaks. It's only two more days.
I was just saying that it's been straight shot down.

D

Deleted member

The TGA leak is dead.

It said the KH3 trailer was for TGA, which Geoff says it's not. I'd think he'd know best what trailers aren't for his show he's hosting.
Well, then again, Verge is still anonymous with how he's still not sure about KOS-MOS.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Everyone and their mother should have expected an Re3 announcement today after those images from the Playstation store surfaced.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That doesn't change anything, just that specific leak is dead in the water since it has info that's untrue. KOS MOS' chances don't go up or down depending on it being correct or not.
Oh well...guess we'll just wait.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
No I mean Clock Tower HD/Phoenix.
That one came first I think.

What I'm saying is Banjo Redooie was specifically mentioned by Geoff in a stream as a fake leak and he said that RE3 was never going to be at TGA in a Reddit post so I'm just smacking down the rumors before they get any traction.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
No spirits to deconfirm this week. It's tourney time!

So no spirit event to kill characters.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I thought Halo 5's problem with story was that it kinda required reading several of the books to understand what's going on. Said books include Fall of Reach, First Strike, Ghosts of Onyx, the Kilo Five Trilogy, The Forerunner Saga, and the Halo Escalation comics just to name a few. Then again, I'd imagine it would probably be easier to binge read Halopedia if you can't get the books (like me) or if you are not a fan of Karen Traviss (who wrote the Kilo Five trilogy and is generally considered a controversial figure among science fiction authors)
You are correct that this is a problem. But it's one of many. Having to read essentially all of the supplementary material to simply understand what is currently happening in Halo 5 is a problem. Granted, Halo 4 also did this, but it was no where near as egregious mostly because, unlike Halo 5, Halo 4's story was actually fulfilling and was genuinely trying to tell a story to give more depth to Chief and Cortana.

Halo 5 doesn't....at all. It instead makes Locke the protagonist of what is clearly Chief's story. If the intention was to make Locke the protagonist, then it should not have been named Halo 5 and should have been it's own well told story to intercut with Chief's story. But nope. This would have been fine if the characters you played, the Osiris Team, were cool, likable and interesting. None of them are (with the exception of Nathan Fillion's character and the fact that I don't know his name says volumes). The only character I remember is Laura Bailey's character but that's because she's Laura Bailey, not because the character was good. It's story also made some statements in other games pointless and what they did with Cortana was.....controversial amongst the fandom.

Halo 5 was also a story where not a lot happened at all except for the Cortana stuff. All that supplementary material that you had to read and listen for what? A story where almost nothing matters besides Cortana and the marketing behind it was a complete and total lie. Halo 5 can best be compared to The Last Jedi: Two parts of their franchises that are only solid if you don't look at them as what they are. If you do, they are extremely divisive and derided moments within their fandoms that have done damage to the story, lore and credibility of their franchise.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Hmmm... will we get events for all decades? That looks cool, kind of an All-Star, but a tourney.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
At this point I think it’s fair to consider most leaks moot. We have about two days lefts until the reveal (hopefully), and then all of this is behind us.

Hoping the pick causes SOME form of chaos, but I’m over a just hoping it’s a solid pick most people can get behind.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman

I swear this makes the RE spirits even odder in retrospect, why didn’t they just wait to release them this week to tie into today’s announcement?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Less then 48 hours to go!
I just want to start overplaying One Day More...

Phew...

Night Gale

Smash Ace

Hayabusa should have been on that image. F***. What's taking them so long with that?

P.Kat

Smash Champion

By the Aura, we've been spared thank goodness.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
People are like, "Let's see if the Clock Tower leak turns out to be true so the Smash leak seems more likely!"

And I'm just like, "Let's see if the Clock Tower leak is true since I want some more bloody Clock Tower."

Though if it exists, but isn't coming to Switch, I guess that it's moot...

Lighteni

Smash Journeyman

Damn, can’t believe they deconfirmed The Year of 1980 as the last character like that.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master

Interesting how Capcom and Namco are front-and-center there.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Personally I'm hoping that if people get wind of the character and it's definitely gonna be revealed at TGA people keep it to themselves. I really enjoyed the surprise of last year and it's been nice not knowing anything this time.

D

Deleted member

Personally I'm hoping that if people get wind of the character and it's definitely gonna be revealed at TGA people keep it to themselves. I really enjoyed the surprise of last year and it's been nice not knowing anything this time.
Yeah, I agree.

I like surprises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom