• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I feel that Pokemon is in a game series version of a seasonal rot that started with XY. Basically ever since the main games went 3D, there's been the lack of post-game content, the main story being easier than the previous games, and the games looking noticably unpolished at launch that's even more noticable with Sword & Shield now.
I was catching up on the thread and this post stuck out to me. My god this is THE most perfect way to describe what happened to Pokemon.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
To be honest, pre-release I thought Dyna was going to be good for competitive. It seemed more balanced than Megas since anything could use it, and it only lasts for three turns.

But the reaction to it has actually been really negative, and you just reminded of that. But the question I have is this: what's worse, Dynamax or Mega Kangaskhan? :laugh:
I'm still waiting for the results from VGC to deliver a final verdict on Dynamax (though it is definitely unbalanced for Singles), but Mega Kangaskhan was unbalanced in all formats and a contributor to the infamous CHALK in VGC during Gen 6 so she does have a head start.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
You are correct that this is a problem. But it's one of many. Having to read essentially all of the supplementary material to simply understand what is currently happening in Halo 5 is a problem. Granted, Halo 4 also did this, but it was no where near as egregious mostly because, unlike Halo 5, Halo 4's story was actually fulfilling and was genuinely trying to tell a story to give more depth to Chief and Cortana.

Halo 5 doesn't....at all. It instead makes Locke the protagonist of what is clearly Chief's story. If the intention was to make Locke the protagonist, then it should not have been named Halo 5 and should have been it's own well told story to intercut with Chief's story. But nope. This would have been fine if the characters you played, the Osiris Team, were cool, likable and interesting. None of them are (with the exception of Nathan Fillion's character and the fact that I don't know his name says volumes). The only character I remember is Laura Bailey's character but that's because she's Laura Bailey, not because the character was good. It's story also made some statements in other games pointless and what they did with Cortana was.....controversial amongst the fandom.

Halo 5 was also a story where not a lot happened at all except for the Cortana stuff. All that supplementary material that you had to read and listen for what? A story where almost nothing matters besides Cortana and the marketing behind it was a complete and total lie. Halo 5 can best be compared to The Last Jedi: Two parts of their franchises that are only solid if you don't look at them as what they are. If you do, they are extremely divisive and derided moments within their fandoms that have done damage to the story, lore and credibility of their franchise.
Nathan Fillion played Buck, who was a major character in ODST (one of 4 Halo games I played)

D

Deleted member

Got a random question for y’all.
If Shantae were in where do you think she’ll be placed in the EVERYONE IS HERE banner?
7DDAEBD5-94EC-4B58-8C70-83D8D95DFE4D.jpeg

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Did I miss anything?

cothero

Smash Lord
Maybe fighter #5 is a 80's character?...

Thewafflemaker2000

Smash Apprentice
I feel that Pokemon is in a game series version of a seasonal rot that started with XY. Basically ever since the main games went 3D, there's been the lack of post-game content, the main story being easier than the previous games, and the games looking noticably unpolished at launch that's even more noticable with Sword & Shield now.
I think it has to do with poor management, out of touchness with fans and, unexperienced devlopers. I read that they keep the same devlopers from the 2d era instead of hiring new professionals and growing the core development team.

Goombaic

Smash Ace

This is definitely not a tease at all but still, just add Hayabusa already.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
I like to believe that the artist of the banner is a completionist who gets frustrated every time they ask him or her to draw another character for it.

Last edited:

BZocky

Smash Ace

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Yep, it’s all coming together

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Don't bet your hopes up just because they announced a tourny about it lmao

Thewafflemaker2000

Smash Apprentice

BATTLETOADS! I know there from 1991 but there still 8bit atleast

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Nah, you gotta think outside the box.
It's not a character from the 80's, it's a character who likes 80's dance music!

D

Deleted member

Yo you guys what if frogger is 5?

we might be sleeping on him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bee Card

Smash Ace
Yo you guys what if frogger is 5?

we might be sleeping on him.
I do prefer PC Kid (Bonk) for a character owned by Konami (it's a Hudson character).
He's the official Mascot of the PC-Engine console, since we got Terry he's the last mascot of the 4 big console of the 4th genereation (PC-Engine, Megadrive, Neo-Geo and SNES) character.

If it's the Frogger based on the original arcade artwork I'm 100% for him :

Look at this salaryman Frogger xD

Last edited:

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
Y'know what? I hope that after Fighter 5 is revealed, someone recreates the Grinch Leak with the new banner including all of the Fighter Pass.

It would be fun to look at a low-quality version of the official banner and maybe think about how we would've reacted to it if it were an actual leak.

D

Deleted member

Y'know what? I hope that after Fighter 5 is revealed, someone recreates the Grinch Leak with the new banner including all of the Fighter Pass.

It would be fun to look at a low-quality version of the official banner and maybe think about how we would've reacted to it if it were an actual leak.
If someone does this, all the Grinch material needs to be replaced with Minion garbage because Illumination's next movie is another Minions movie.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I do prefer PC Kid (Bonk) for a character owned by Konami (it's a Hudson character).
He's the official Mascot of the PC-Engine console, since we got Terry he's the last mascot of the 4 big console of the 4th genereation (PC-Engine, Megadrive, Neo-Geo and SNES) character.

If it's the Frogger based on the original arcade artwork I'm 100% for him :

Look at this salaryman Frogger xD
I forgot he was called that in Japan. That's just gonna make the Language selection meta even deeper.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Reminder that this comes out on Thursday on the Switch.

Btw the KOS-MOS avatars cause me to forget who's who.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
These past few days of Smash speculation leading to The Game Awards have been like

meme 1.png

meme 2.png

meme 3.png

meme 4.png

meme 5.png

meme 6.png

meme 7.png

meme 8.png

meme 9.png

meme 10.png

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Damn, can’t believe they deconfirmed The Year of 1980 as the last character like that.
I guess you can say that year is... History. Haha... *sigh* where's the exit?
Got a random question for y’all.
If Shantae were in where do you think she’ll be placed in the EVERYONE IS HERE banner?
View attachment 252019
Right next to Daisy just move the Mii fighter up a bit and boom instant room.
I like to believe that the artist of the banner is a completionist who gets frustrated every time they ask him or her to draw another character for it.
Art director: Banner Artist, I know you said your running out of room, but we need another character to fit in the banner.

Banner Artist: *Sigh* Oh, okay, sure I can fit one more. Now where to put Piranha Plant?

Art Director: Er actually five more, we have DLC to think about.

Banner Artist:*veins throbbing on their head* Ok fine, guess I'll...

Art Director:*gets a call* Um actually 10 more characters

Banner Artist:TEN?!!!

Art Director: Better make it 15 We may have up to three waves of DLC coming, and... What are you doing?

Banner Artist:*giggles* I'm drawing Galeem *giggles louder* So he can wipe out everyone, and make room for MORE CHARACTERS!!! *Laughs loudly*

Art Director: L-look I'm sorry. I realize this is a bit stressful for you, b-but please j-just take it easy and...

Banner Artist: Hahahaha *drawing intensifies* *laughing intensifies* *maniacal laughing intensifies*

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It's official, fighter 5 is Frogger. Let's all agree it's Frogger and discuss no further. That way if it's Frogger we can laugh that it's Frogger and be surprised if it's not. Frogger Gang Rise Up

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
oh the master cheif train is done for now for a update

and hey maybe that 80 tourny thing is a hint

maybe frogger or battletoads

Last edited:

Bee Card

Smash Ace
I forgot he was called that in Japan. That's just gonna make the Language selection meta even deeper.
In fact in Japan he's called PC-Genjin, literally "PC-Primitive man" (it's a pun with PC-Engine). As you know it's Bonk in America but it's PC-Kid in France cause the console in France was the japanese one so we got a new name. The PC-Engine in north america (called Turbografx in this region) wasn't a real success so NEC didn't wanted to sell the console in Europe but some guys in france (who later founded Ubisoft) distributed the japanese PC-Engine for the french market. Because the games were japanese they just added a sticker with a translation of games title, so that's why we didn't get the american name of PC Genjin here ^o^

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom