• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
There is only one character I would say I flat-out want. Arle is that character.

There's more I support, and more I'd like to see, but Arle is by and away the only character who I would ask for, and would take her at the first opportunity and never look back.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace

Good, we can confirm that Fighters #2 and #3 were being worked on at the same time, instead of believing that 3.0.0 alone literally took them four months.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
View attachment 214327
These are the characters I would like to see in the Fighter's Pass
  • Thrall - I love World of Warcraft and Warcraft III to the point where I think Thrall would be fun despite the lack of history with nintendo, but it is my dream
  • Crash - Crash rhymes with Smash... enough said
  • Yuri - I was watching an LP of it on Twitch, It was really interesting
  • Lightning - It is another dream to have Final Fantasy XIII representation in Smash
These aren't predictions, but it is my wishlist.
Hey, Warcraft! I respect that. I’ve heard no one suggest anything from Warcraft. And from the Orc race has to be the perfect fit because they’ve always given a bit more of protagonism to them.

I’m not that familiar with Thrall. I liked Warcraft 3, but I didn’t really love it like I did 2.
And I skipped WoW entirely.

My favorite hero is Zuldjin, but I rather they go for an orc, like Grom Hellscream, or yeah, Thrall.

Is there anything getting in the way of a Warcraft character btw?
I didn’t know I wanted a character from the series until now.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Hey, Warcraft! I respect that. I’ve heard no one suggest anything from Warcraft. And from the Orc race has to be the perfect fit because they’ve always given a bit more of protagonism to them.

I’m not that familiar with Thrall. I liked Warcraft 3, but I didn’t really love it like I did 2.
And I skipped WoW entirely.

My favorite hero is Zuldjin, but I rather they go for an orc, like Grom Hellscream, or yeah, Thrall.

Is there anything getting in the way of a Warcraft character btw?
I didn’t know I wanted a character from the series until now.
Objectively speaking, I think the only barrier to Warcraft would be if Blizzard and Nintendo, should they work together for Smash at all, wanted an Overwatch rep like Tracer instead.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

Good, we can confirm that Fighters #2 and #3 were being worked on at the same time, instead of believing that 3.0.0 alone literally took them four months.
The one more thing is probably stage builder...but it would be funny if the Japanese rumor about DQ Hero being an extra non-pass character was true.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Well, I believe that this confirms that Fighter #2 and Fighter #3 will both be revealed at the same time, probably at E3.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Based on that message (and how we're getting one character roughly every two months), I'm guessing one character (Erdrick?) will be an "Available after this presentation" situation, while another (hoping for Banjo, but there's no way of even guessing who it could be, considering that we got Piranha Plant and Joker) will be announced for an August release.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Based on that message (and how we're getting one character roughly every two months), I'm guessing one character (Erdrick?) will be an "Available after this presentation" situation, while another (hoping for Banjo, but there's no way of even guessing who it could be, considering that we got Piranha Plant and Joker) will be announced for an August release.
Yeah I would imagine they would probably want to spread each character out a bit so there isn't too much of a release gap between fighter 3 and and the other two. Especially since this pass will be dragged out until February 2020

I can see both being revealed at E3 though with one coming right at that point while the other coming out a couple month's after.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
Definitely banking on two character reveals at E3.

Banjo would be the best case scenario for the majority of the smash fanbase but Steve would be much more grand and crazy.

Either way, E3's gonna be a good time to be a smasher :p

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Definitely banking on two character reveals at E3.

Banjo would be the best case scenario for the majority of the smash fanbase but Steve would be much more grand and crazy.

Either way, E3's gonna be a good time to be a smasher :p
We shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. We could wind up only getting Erdrick as a reveal, or we could get Erdrick and a character that nobody asked for/expected/likes, or the second character could have some aspect about them or the associated Mii costumes/Spirits that upsets a lot of people. (for example, here's Steve? from Minecraft, along with poorly-fitting Mii costumes for Banjo/Kazooie and Master Chief! That's what everyone wanted, right?)

Nothing against Steve? from Minecraft, but I feel like people would be a lot less excited if they got the rights to include Banjo and Kazooie, a popular choice for Smash in general, or Master Chief, the face of Xbox, only to include them as Mii costumes, Spirits, or alternate costumes for Steve? as opposed to playable characters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. We could wind up only getting Erdrick as a reveal, or we could get Erdrick and a character that nobody asked for/expected/likes, or the second character could have some aspect about them or the associated Mii costumes/Spirits that upsets a lot of people. (for example, here's Steve? from Minecraft, along with poorly-fitting Mii costumes for Banjo/Kazooie and Master Chief! That's what everyone wanted, right?)

Nothing against Steve? from Minecraft, but I feel like people would be a lot less excited if they got the rights to include Banjo and Kazooie, a popular choice for Smash in general, or Master Chief, the face of Xbox, only to include them as Mii costumes, Spirits, or alternate costumes for Steve? as opposed to playable characters.
If Joker is anything to go by, the spirits/costumes we would get would be MC related. There's still the issue that yes we could get other costumes from MS if we even get a MS rep in the first place.

Regarding acceptwnce of MC, if we go by content on the stage creator, MC stuff seemed popular so I think its a situation where smash fans would be mad but everywhere else would be ok.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
EDIT: What the heck? I hit tab and for some reason it posted. I didn't expect that. Sorry.

So at this point, I'm going to say that A Dragon Quest character is Open Secret tier, no use fighting it, DQ is happening. Within Dragon Quest, I still believe in Slime more than Erdrick, but I believe in Erdrick more than the Luminary.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

I honestly would only find it an issue if Master Chief and Banjo & Kazooie were alternate costumes for Steve(as mainly Steve's costumes should be actually Minecraft-related to begin with, and they would look better as Mii costumes anyway as it can fit their character designs and shapes way better). Mii costumes are excellent spots for those who can't be playable, especially if an AT isn't an option. They're great calls to fans.

To be honest, besides an alt costume, any other role I would say is actually good. It means he showed love and care with using them to throw the fans something, when a playable character just didn't pan out. Though that's because I don't believe in the bull**** idea that roles besides playable characters are meant to be slaps in the fans' faces. Not when it's made clear it's entirely the opposite. Sakurai's a fan too.

That said, I'm not banking on Erdrick by any means(he's very possible, though), and I wouldn't put Banjo & Kazooie even as high as I feel Erdrick's chances are. I won't pretend they're impossible or unlikely, though. I honestly would give them a 50/50 right now at best. Steve(for the record, while Steve? is technically a correct term at some point, his official name is now Steve without the question mark. I don't know when they dropped the question mark itself, but it might be to help market him via merchandise with a easier to say name for kids. A lot are still learning about various English and how to pronounce things, so the question mark can be rather weird. Plus, it isn't necessary anymore. That was at the time when he had no name and the company was "sure why not". Things changed since then). I can't think of any other Microsoft character in a good spot right now. Master Chief was pretty much disconfirmed as part of the Fighter's pass due to 343's tweets(not Frank's, as he's known for trolling the fans to begin with, and has outright lied about stuff happening. He's not reliable for taking seriously in these kind of situations whatsoever. It doesn't mean he did lie, as 343 makes more clear, it just means anything like that he says in a tweet should be taken with a grain of salt. He's best to be skeptical of). Cuphead the same way with the developers. Steve has nothing legitimately going against him right now; While there were rumors that didn't pan out(which doesn't actually do anything to hurt his chances, it just hurts the credibility of the person leaking it), as well as one of the Public Speakers(for the company) speaking out against him(which again, means nothing because they don't speak of whether he will get in or not. They just dislike the idea. Which is a fair opinion to have, but has zero bearing on whether Nintendo, Sakurai, and Microsoft decided to include him or not via negotiations, or even Sakurai asking them alone. We won't know for a while).

As for e3, I think two characters is possible, likely even, but definitely not a guarantee. DLC has been weird. We got randomly dropped the actual Joker gameplay trailer and other tidbits as if it should be in a Direct, but wasn't actually in one. So the usual expected stuff doesn't feel as likely as it could be.

thisjustin2001

Smash Apprentice

Steve is probably the most iconic VG character to not be included in Smash (besides maybe Master Chief and Lara Croft), so it isn't that unlikely he'd get picked over other Microsoft reps. Personally, I actually wouldn't mind if this was what ended up happening. Having Chief deconfirmed would be a bit of a bummer though, but I was never expecting him to come to Smash in the first place. Banjo could make a good Mii Brawler costume, and Chief would make a great Mii Gunner costume, even though I'd rather he be playable.

What would be the most ideal outcome is if there were three Fighter Passes, and all three of them made it in. But, if there's only one Fighter Pass, what would make the most sense and what would make the most money for both companies involved is if Nintendo goes with either Chief or Steve as the playable fighter and the other two (Banjo and whoever isn't playable) get in as Mii costumes. Just my thoughts.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I doubt many fans will agree with you.
That doesn't matter. Because that's not how it works. People can be petty about it all they want, but they are 100% there specifically to appeal to the fanbases of that character, not to actually cheapify the character(or whatever way you want to put it).

Which is why they will keep coming as long as Mii Fighters exist, as specifically a nod to the fanbases. Sakurai does it because he cares about the fanbases, and that's all there is to it. It's even part of why they were made, because some characters just aren't possible for many reasons as playable, so Mii Fighters resolve that by letting anyone make their own guy. The costumes were pretty much generic till DLC came around(in fact, there was only hats of specific characters at first if I remember right?) as well, as the DLC were direct nods to the fans. That idea won't change, as much as people try to pretend otherwise.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
That doesn't matter. Because that's not how it works. People can be petty about it all they want, but they are 100% there specifically to appeal to the fanbases of that character, not to actually cheapify the character(or whatever way you want to put it).

Which is why they will keep coming as long as Mii Fighters exist, as specifically a nod to the fanbases. Sakurai does it because he cares about the fanbases, and that's all there is to it. It's even part of why they were made, because some characters just aren't possible for many reasons as playable, so Mii Fighters resolve that by letting anyone make their own guy. The costumes were pretty much generic till DLC came around(in fact, there was only hats of specific characters at first if I remember right?) as well, as the DLC were direct nods to the fans. That idea won't change, as much as people try to pretend otherwise.
Of course the intent is to give fans of certain characters a nod, and I'd argue that it's successful in many cases.

But if the fans are pissed, then you failed at pleasing them. It's pretty simple.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Of course the intent is to give fans of certain characters a nod, and I'd argue that it's successful in many cases.

But if the fans are pissed, then you failed at pleasing them. It's pretty simple.
It's been successful in every case, honestly. Almost all the time there will only be a small bit of people refusing to buy the costume, but enough buy it for it to be successful as is. There's been no shortage of mass DLC sales because people want content and nods to their characters, including obscure ones. For a company, they want their product to sell. Refusing to buy something like a Mii costume only shows that you don't want their content in the end. People can argue all day that it's "if it isn't this content, it's not worth it", and that's fair. But there's a caveat; in order for a company to gauge interest of their product alone, they need some way to get the product known. For obscure characters, a Mii costume gets people heavily interested. Good sales means that they can tell they have a reasonable chance of selling that product. For instance, the Isaac Mii costume is the best way to help gauge whether people really want another Golden Sun or not at this point. There's some fan outliers, but keep in mind many companies don't pay attention to these kind of polls as is, or even petitions. Now, companies do look at actual reviews(that is, when it comes to actually improving their games). Especially since Mii costumes, unlike some content, are actually quality content meant to help you enact the fight you wanted. Is it perfect? No. Really, worst is sometimes the costumes look a little strange due to proportions, but now they're all one specific shape due to them cutting the Mii size differences(which is a good thing, as it helps keep them balanced and more applicable for tourneys as is. Since that was the biggest problem with their balance. Now it's just a matter of custom issues, and that's not that hard to test as is).

So I highly doubt having a fan favorite as a Mii costume will hurt the overall game, sales, or even the fanbase. It'll go good no matter what costume they give as long as they're sure the character has fans. That's really important when it comes to figuring out who's really a fan of their product. Geno's an interesting example of this factor too. He's only gotten more Smash content since his costume as is, which is the Spirit in itself. People really wanted him in. He didn't become playable(as of yet), but it did show there's a lot of love for the character. Though I can't remember if the SNES Classic came out after Smash 4's DLC or not. But now Square-Enix absolutely knows how much people really want products related to Geno. These small things are really important for companies. They can't throw out a new game, for instance, if they aren't sure it'll sell well. So they need other product to do so. When they are unsure their franchise will do well, they can't always take a chance with a major DLC like playable. That is, if that is even possible for them(as Sakurai has approached all companies thus far from what I remember reading. Do correct me if I'm wrong). Sometimes they would rather take a chance with a smaller role to be safe. Geno is a good example of this. With Super Mario RPG never getting a real sequel, being sure people really want the character revived is important. Of course, some characters don't need this as it's already clear due to other game/product releases(Banjo), but that doesn't mean something like a Mii costume would be bad to them. In a case like that, they know the character wasn't asked for when it comes to playable. But they know fans will want product relating to Banjo as is, so adding him in only helps give people the character they want in some way.

I hope I explained that well enough, but companies care a lot more about sales than people think. Sales are just that important. With bad sales of content, they just see the related content as a flop and aren't adamant to continue anything related to that product. Right now, in the case of Banjo, he has Rare Replay going for him. This is selling well. But these are just re-releases and not a new video game-related product. Merchandise doesn't do it alone either(it can help, but it doesn't seem like it's doing anything for the Bear and Bird other than at best making sure people know they exist). You need more than that. It's not simply like continuing into a third season of a show, where merchandise sales can help(as it gives the people behind the show incentive to think it'll continue to be popular). Making a new game requires a lot more than continuing a season, namely because with a season, you already have a goal in mind. With a new game, you need a lot more than just a goal. You need to figure out if it's actually part of a specific set of games(as a sequel), who is going to be outright creating the game(at least with a new season you have a team set up), who it would appeal to when it comes to gameplay(see: Nuts & Bolts as proof it's not very easy to make new games for a franchise), and then you have to be sure the game alone will sell well. Though merchandise specific to that game can help too, of course. It's still important, but a lot of games aren't designed to sell well with merchandise in mind.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
That's really important when it comes to figuring out who's really a fan of their product. Geno's an interesting example of this factor too. He's only gotten more Smash content since his costume as is, which is the Spirit in itself. People really wanted him in. He didn't become playable(as of yet), but it did show there's a lot of love for the character. Though I can't remember if the SNES Classic came out after Smash 4's DLC or not. But now Square-Enix absolutely knows how much people really want products related to Geno. These small things are really important for companies. They can't throw out a new game, for instance, if they aren't sure it'll sell well. So they need other product to do so. When they are unsure their franchise will do well, they can't always take a chance with a major DLC like playable. That is, if that is even possible for them(as Sakurai has approached all companies thus far from what I remember reading. Do correct me if I'm wrong). Sometimes they would rather take a chance with a smaller role to be safe. Geno is a good example of this. With Super Mario RPG never getting a real sequel, being sure people really want the character revived is important.
Very true, and to top that off, yes, the SNES Classic with SMRPG included did come out after Smash 4's DLC. It released in 2017; Sm4sh's DLC cycle ended in late 2015.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Very true, and to top that off, yes, the SNES Classic with SMRPG included did come out after Smash 4's DLC. It released in 2017; Sm4sh's DLC cycle ended in late 2015.
Exactly. Mii costumes are very important in gauging character interest for companies. Albeit, it could be a coincidence of why all 3rd party costumes are DLC in both games. It depends the character, of course.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It's been successful in every case, honestly. Almost all the time there will only be a small bit of people refusing to buy the costume, but enough buy it for it to be successful as is. There's been no shortage of mass DLC sales because people want content and nods to their characters, including obscure ones. For a company, they want their product to sell. Refusing to buy something like a Mii costume only shows that you don't want their content in the end. People can argue all day that it's "if it isn't this content, it's not worth it", and that's fair. But there's a caveat; in order for a company to gauge interest of their product alone, they need some way to get the product known. For obscure characters, a Mii costume gets people heavily interested. Good sales means that they can tell they have a reasonable chance of selling that product. For instance, the Isaac Mii costume is the best way to help gauge whether people really want another Golden Sun or not at this point. There's some fan outliers, but keep in mind many companies don't pay attention to these kind of polls as is, or even petitions. Now, companies do look at actual reviews(that is, when it comes to actually improving their games). Especially since Mii costumes, unlike some content, are actually quality content meant to help you enact the fight you wanted. Is it perfect? No. Really, worst is sometimes the costumes look a little strange due to proportions, but now they're all one specific shape due to them cutting the Mii size differences(which is a good thing, as it helps keep them balanced and more applicable for tourneys as is. Since that was the biggest problem with their balance. Now it's just a matter of custom issues, and that's not that hard to test as is).

So I highly doubt having a fan favorite as a Mii costume will hurt the overall game, sales, or even the fanbase. It'll go good no matter what costume they give as long as they're sure the character has fans. That's really important when it comes to figuring out who's really a fan of their product. Geno's an interesting example of this factor too. He's only gotten more Smash content since his costume as is, which is the Spirit in itself. People really wanted him in. He didn't become playable(as of yet), but it did show there's a lot of love for the character. Though I can't remember if the SNES Classic came out after Smash 4's DLC or not. But now Square-Enix absolutely knows how much people really want products related to Geno. These small things are really important for companies. They can't throw out a new game, for instance, if they aren't sure it'll sell well. So they need other product to do so. When they are unsure their franchise will do well, they can't always take a chance with a major DLC like playable. That is, if that is even possible for them(as Sakurai has approached all companies thus far from what I remember reading. Do correct me if I'm wrong). Sometimes they would rather take a chance with a smaller role to be safe. Geno is a good example of this. With Super Mario RPG never getting a real sequel, being sure people really want the character revived is important. Of course, some characters don't need this as it's already clear due to other game/product releases(Banjo), but that doesn't mean something like a Mii costume would be bad to them. In a case like that, they know the character wasn't asked for when it comes to playable. But they know fans will want product relating to Banjo as is, so adding him in only helps give people the character they want in some way.

I hope I explained that well enough, but companies care a lot more about sales than people think. Sales are just that important. With bad sales of content, they just see the related content as a flop and aren't adamant to continue anything related to that product. Right now, in the case of Banjo, he has Rare Replay going for him. This is selling well. But these are just re-releases and not a new video game-related product. Merchandise doesn't do it alone either(it can help, but it doesn't seem like it's doing anything for the Bear and Bird other than at best making sure people know they exist). You need more than that. It's not simply like continuing into a third season of a show, where merchandise sales can help(as it gives the people behind the show incentive to think it'll continue to be popular). Making a new game requires a lot more than continuing a season, namely because with a season, you already have a goal in mind. With a new game, you need a lot more than just a goal. You need to figure out if it's actually part of a specific set of games(as a sequel), who is going to be outright creating the game(at least with a new season you have a team set up), who it would appeal to when it comes to gameplay(see: Nuts & Bolts as proof it's not very easy to make new games for a franchise), and then you have to be sure the game alone will sell well. Though merchandise specific to that game can help too, of course. It's still important, but a lot of games aren't designed to sell well with merchandise in mind.
I don't claim anything to the contrary to what you just said. The only thing I say is that if the sole purpose of a Mii Costume is to please a fanbase and the fanbase doesn't like it, you failed.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't claim anything to the contrary to what you just said. The only thing I say is that if the sole purpose of a Mii Costume is to please a fanbase and the fanbase doesn't like it, you failed.
Just saying that we haven't seen a case where the entire fanbase is full of hatred over a Mii costume. And never will either. Some, sure. Everybody has their pet peeves. It's an unhealthy thing to treat it as a slap in the face, but there's no reason for them to buy content that isn't exactly what they want(or close enough for them). Anybody acting like them refusing to buy stuff is some kind of majorly bad thing isn't being fair. Nothing's that simple.

Basically I really don't believe it'll ever be the case you say it is, so I don't think it's possible for them to fail in this case. Otherwise the Minecraft Halo Mash-Up Pack, which has Banjo too, wouldn't be actually really popular. And that's far worse than a Mii costume when it comes "looking like the character's proportions". Not that I don't get what you're saying, but your logic has a flaw to it here; it only works if the entire fanbase hates it. That'll never be the case, so a failure is rather impossible. "Not good enough" is the best possible in this case, but that's not a failure so much as a "mediocre job". Or barely passing. So basically there's more than Success and Failure in these cases.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Just saying that we haven't seen a case where the entire fanbase is full of hatred over a Mii costume. And never will either. Some, sure. Everybody has their pet peeves. It's an unhealthy thing to treat it as a slap in the face, but there's no reason for them to buy content that isn't exactly what they want(or close enough for them). Anybody acting like them refusing to buy stuff is some kind of majorly bad thing isn't being fair. Nothing's that simple.

Basically I really don't believe it'll ever be the case you say it is, so I don't think it's possible for them to fail in this case. Otherwise the Minecraft Halo Mash-Up Pack, which has Banjo too, wouldn't be actually really popular. And that's far worse than a Mii costume when it comes "looking like the character's proportions". Not that I don't get what you're saying, but your logic has a flaw to it here; it only works if the entire fanbase hates it. That'll never be the case, so a failure is rather impossible. "Not good enough" is the best possible in this case, but that's not a failure so much as a "mediocre job". Or barely passing. So basically there's more than Success and Failure in these cases.
Eh, I'd argue that if a considerable part of the fanbase hates it it's still a failure. I don't think there will ever be a case where 'everyone' hates something, but it's usually easy to tell where the majority lies.

Basically, if a Mii Costume is received similarly to the Sonic movie design, that's a failure right there.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You should at least hope they're keeping track of what the most popular Mii costumes are online. It could be a good reference to see who to make as DLC later on.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
You should at least hope they're keeping track of what the most popular Mii costumes are online. It could be a good reference to see who to make as DLC later on.
That, and whose online icons are being used a lot (in terms of characters not in the roster) should certainly be monitored. I know I've seen droves of Geno icons, for instance, and so have others. I'm really biased to be mentioning him, yeah, but... it looks like people are trying to speak for their passions with their icons.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Eh, I'd argue that if a considerable part of the fanbase hates it it's still a failure. I don't think there will ever be a case where 'everyone' hates something, but it's usually easy to tell where the majority lies.

Basically, if a Mii Costume is received similarly to the Sonic movie design, that's a failure right there.
That's a pretty poor example, as no Mii costume ever got that far. Never mind even the creator of Sonic, Yuji Naka, sees an issue with the complaints themselves, that they're looking at in an unreasonable way. The whole point of Sonic is he's always in motion. Screencaps exaggerate the overall issue, because he shouldn't be still at all. There's some issues, sure, but the fact he even sees people overreacting says a lot moreso of people not trying to be reasonable instead. Never mind people making really dumb arguments about it. Blue arms? Seriously? Who cares. It's irrelevant. The teeth are a legitimate issue as they're super creepy and just don't fit the character(he more has fangs in canon, and even they're odd, but they'd make more sense). The Nike shoes in itself don't matter, and that's one of the most lolworthy complaints I ever seen. Now, one legitimate point brought up is that him having shoelaces while going at sonic speeds is dangerous(as he can trip easily) is an actual proper point. And then there's the lack of gloves, another good point. The issue is more concentrate on stuff like the blue arms and "brand usage" than actual realistic points that matter when it comes to character design, as well as understanding the point of why he looks like he does(he's supposed to be always in motion, after all).

There is no "considerable" part either. It'd have to be almost the entire fanbase, so we're talking a 80% bad ratings for that, or it's not really something they consider a failure alone. You have to not just look at the amount of people(and they sure don't know every fan, so to them, it might be barely 50% or even far less than didn't buy the item). They've gotten massive sales on MIi costumes every time. That won't stop, unless they use a super beyond obscure character(like one of my favorite choices, Brian). Mind you, I won't pretend it wouldn't get a small amount of sales(considering the tons of fans that actually do exist, you could get maybe 50 at most. And that's being reasonable here. I've seen enough actually "we want this guy in" stuff online to show he'd get a very tiny set of sales in comparison). Considering sales are around the millions to thousands at least to be considered relatively good in scale, 50 would be an actual failure realistically. And let's be frank, if we use an example like Banjo, he is going to break into the thousands at least. He's obscure to some degree(though only to a small enough degree to be below characters like Ryu, but the lack of his new games isn't helping. He certainly was an icon during the 64 period, but didn't stand the test of time. Mostly cause Microsoft won't use him. It could be because they didn't think he'd sell well enough? I dunno. Either way, he lost a huge amount of leeway for a while. I honestly hope that changes, cause I do honestly like the character, despite him not being my personal preference for Smash and all).

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
I'm not as confident that we'll get two character drops at E3. They have ten whole months to deliver the rest of the Fighter Pass, which is more than enough time to give each character its own release. Plus, there's plenty of upcoming games this year that Nintendo might want to focus on those instead.

We technically only had one newcomer announced last E3, and that was a big-enough announcement.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

With a fandom as big and active as Smash, you're going to get a considerable part of fanbase hating a lot of things.

A considerable part of the fans hate Brawl but that didn't prevent it from being successful. It's best not to listen people complaining on internet about small things too much and look at the sales instead.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm not as confident that we'll get two character drops at E3. They have ten whole months to deliver the rest of the Fighter Pass, which is more than enough time to give each character its own release. Plus, there's plenty of upcoming games this year that Nintendo might want to focus on those instead.

We technically only had one newcomer announced last E3, and that was a big-enough announcement.
This. Pretty much my stance.

This whole notion that there has to be 2 reveals at E3 just in case one of
Them is Erdrick because a sensitive crowd won’t be able to handle it, is ridiculous.

I can see them spreading out and giving each DLC character their moment of glory regardless of who it is.

... having said that, I wouldn’t necessarily oppose a double whammy character reveal. The sooner this whole DLC ordeal is over, the better.

Ornl

Smash Ace
With Joker and two new Fighters at once, some theories will be supported while others will be broken :
- pillar theory (each new Fighter would represent a new series and would not have already appeared in Spirit),
- full Japanese licenses theory (100% of the Fighters are from licenses born in Japan),
- deconfirming ballot theory (the ballot was useful for some new basic Fighters and for Shovel Knight, Rayman and Shantae as Spirits, but it would be the opposite concerning Joker and all other DLC),
- Costume theory (Sega Costumes have reappeared with a Sega Fighter, and there are missing old Costumes from Squenix, Capcom and Bamco).

Last edited:

Robdelia

Smash Apprentice
Watch as Brave ends up being Paper Mario or some other character we didn't even consider like Joker, and we all kick ourselves for not seeing the signs sooner. All the fan theories are shattered, Vergeben and the leakers are in shambles, and once again Sakurai demonstrates that you can't really predict where he goes. But yeah Brave is Paper Mario because uh... Brave New World is a book... And books are made of...
Paper.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

While I don't know if the entire fanbase hated this:

I can't recall if anybody viewed it positively beyond "hey, at least they're acknowledging that K. Rool exists".

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Yeah telling people to like a Banjo Mii Costume is like Thanos telling people to like a world with half the population

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
While I don't know if the entire fanbase hated this:

I can't recall if anybody viewed it positively beyond "hey, at least they're acknowledging that K. Rool exists".
I only remember is mostly going well because it means Nintendo cared about a currently irrelevant character. It didn't have a lot of hate overall ratio-wise. Most of what you see is just vocal minority, but it's still the minority. Or if you will, only a small percentage was mad, but that was mostly hardcore gamers, which isn't the actual majority of Smash fans that buy the game. The casual Smash fanbase has always made up the majority. This is why characters like Isabelle, who doesn't have as much popularity with hardcore Smash fans, still went over very well. A lot of people among the hardcore fanbase don't care if the character is some massive icon either. They just want their specific character in. But keep in mind it's a rather different subset of fans, as they're the ones who are heavily going into speculation, theories, trying to record all kinds of data, write articles, etc. They are a different type of consumer. Basically, if the casual fanbase, the majority, doesn't like it, then it's not doing well enough for Smash itself. Mii costumes simply never had that issue. People were just giddy they could play as their character in some way, as it's a direct nod to the character, not someone just slapping on a "kind of fits" like using the Ninja Headband Mii Hat to create Naruto.

So I don't see a legitimate issue with any character being a MIi costume. Because it's not an actual legitimate issue. Not saying people should like it, but pretending it's a slap in the face is just being entitled and nothing more. That's just not how things work. They're basically prizes for the fans, not some kind of malicious attempts.

Yeah telling people to like a Banjo Mii Costume is like Thanos telling people to like a world with half the population
Nobody actually remotely said this in any way, so your point rings hollow. My suggestion is to actually read the point people are making instead of creating a useless strawman of the argument. Cause that's completely wrong and wasn't once brought up as a legitimate point. Cause it definitely isn't a good point. There is absolutely no reason a fan should be pleased if it what they exactly wanted. That doesn't mean they're being fair about the situation either. Some act entitled at times. Simply accepting and understanding the situation is nowhere near the same thing as liking it. Which is the actual argument being made(never mind in reality, most fans are pleased with Mii costumes with an extremely smaller number of percentage being annoyed at their character being only a costume).

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I only remember is mostly going well because it means Nintendo cared about a currently irrelevant character. It didn't have a lot of hate overall ratio-wise. Most of what you see is just vocal minority, but it's still the minority. Or if you will, only a small percentage was mad, but that was mostly hardcore gamers, which isn't the actual majority of Smash fans that buy the game. The casual Smash fanbase has always made up the majority. This is why characters like Isabelle, who doesn't have as much popularity with hardcore Smash fans, still went over very well. A lot of people among the hardcore fanbase don't care if the character is some massive icon either. They just want their specific character in. But keep in mind it's a rather different subset of fans, as they're the ones who are heavily going into speculation, theories, trying to record all kinds of data, write articles, etc. They are a different type of consumer. Basically, if the casual fanbase, the majority, doesn't like it, then it's not doing well enough for Smash itself. Mii costumes simply never had that issue. People were just giddy they could play as their character in some way, as it's a direct nod to the character, not someone just slapping on a "kind of fits" like using the Ninja Headband Mii Hat to create Naruto.

So I don't see a legitimate issue with any character being a MIi costume. Because it's not an actual legitimate issue. Not saying people should like it, but pretending it's a slap in the face is just being entitled and nothing more. That's just not how things work. They're basically prizes for the fans, not some kind of malicious attempts.

Nobody actually remotely said this in any way, so your point rings hollow. My suggestion is to actually read the point people are making instead of creating a useless strawman of the argument. Cause that's completely wrong and wasn't once brought up as a legitimate point. Cause it definitely isn't a good point. There is absolutely no reason a fan should be pleased if it what they exactly wanted. That doesn't mean they're being fair about the situation either. Some act entitled at times. Simply accepting and understanding the situation is nowhere near the same thing as liking it. Which is the actual argument being made(never mind in reality, most fans are pleased with Mii costumes with an extremely smaller number of percentage being annoyed at their character being only a costume).
I think the Thanos comparison works better then if you are focusing more on the understanding portion than the liking portion

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think the Thanos comparison works better then if you are focusing more on the understanding portion than the liking portion
No, it really doesn't. Fact of the matter is, people aren't actually talking about liking the decision as a "good thing". Nobody is making that argument.

So I don't know why you're bringing it up. There's a huge difference between respecting the point behind the decision and liking/disliking it. Appreciation isn't even asked for. I wouldn't say anyone should like their character being a costume. Understanding that it's meant to actually be fanservice is a reasonable approach to it.

Though I'm sure I worded some stuff poorly in my bigger paragraphs, so I can understand why people think that's what I meant. My bad for not being that clear. The important part is you need to look at the bigger picture; first, any content of a character means a lot to the 3rd party companies. Even in cases like Banjo, Microsoft has shown zero interest in reviving the series. People getting Rare Replay means little, since it just means that the old games are respectively popular enough to sell. It makes money. This doesn't prove people want a remake or to see the character revived. For them, putting the character in a different position is a good way to figure out stuff. They're getting a decent idea via merchandise sales, at least, but it hasn't been enough to prove they want to see the character in another game. For that matter, considering why Mii costumes exist, if Sakurai isn't going to make B&K playable, him choosing a MIi costume is a prize for the fans, intended with the purpose of giving them a way to play the character. This is not a bad thing whatsoever. Of course, if somebody chooses not to buy the costumes, that's completely fair too. It's their money, after all. But until we see reviews mentioning the costume, and the majority of customers being disappointed, it won't really help the situation at all. Money speaks, but so does words they can read. Petitions aren't going to help at all in these situations. Until they know why people were disappointed(which wouldn't even be the majority of fans, since the Smash fanbase is mostly casual, and those people will eat up the costumes easily, which also helps Banjo be shown as far more profitable). The more people who buy it, the more Microsoft sees the character as worth reviving. Unless they literally have plans right now, that's the most likely way the Mii costume will be used as.

They really don't need this for someone like Master Chief or Steve(and Chief has been disconfirmed for the current Fighter's Pass by 343 very clearly. Frank has too much of a history of trolling, which is the tone of the tweet as is, to take too seriously by itself) to know they're profitable. Which is why, if Steve isn't playable, him being a Mii costume would still work, since he'll sell extremely well. He'd sell extremely well as playable too anyway. Gaming icons tend to do that. Banjo of course would, but that doesn't mean Microsoft sees him as very profitable either. This is something to keep in mind. However, I don't think it's a big issue on Microsoft's end either. Mainly cause Nintendo and Sakurai are going to go to them with a character in mind. Microsoft isn't going to honestly say no to Steve or Banjo. Some others, maybe, but neither of these characters would go bad for them. Banjo being DLC(like Steve) in some way is just a really smart move on the company's part if they can work it out. Master Chief being a Mii costume is a great move too. Plus, it'd certainly show him off better than the Minecraft costume, which while a proper skin design in tone/color, it doesn't really show his proportions nearly as well, or his abilities either, to some degree. That said, I can't honestly remember if Mii Gunners have different animations for their shot types depending upon the costume. I think they're all laser/sparkly no matter what(which makes sense, of course).

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
Besides Toad, what Nintendo All-Star is missing from Smash Bros? Aside from Rhythm Heaven, is there any big (ish) Nintendo series not represented in Smash? I feel Nintendo has been really scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to first-party inclusions in Smash. For me personally, I wouldn't mind if we didn't see any first-party fighters for DLC, and besides maybe Toad and Rhythm Heaven rep, I don't feel like we need any more Nintendo characters either.
I 10000000000% disagree, I have no idea how you can't see how much issed potential that would make.

We still don't have:

Bandana Dee
Rex
Paper Mario

or the assists.

Waluigi
Skull Kid
Isaac
Springman
Ashley
and others.

Last edited:

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice
Still personally kinda surprised that not a large number of people seem to be sleeping on Lara Croft being a likely candidate for DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom