• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Geoff going all out and razing every leak honestly makes me pretty excited.

SKX31

Smash Master
Okay, so the first morning came and went in China:

This includes all three available amiibos (Wedding Mario, W. Peach, W. Bowser) selling out completely, so it looks like things are in higher demand than expected. Do note that this is just one of the (edit) three online retailers (albeit the biggest one) and (another edit) it looks like TMall just spoke about online, not in-store sales. I was kinda afraid scalpers would be a major presence, although haven't heard it being a problem at all just yet. Do note that the realistic target number (there are some really crazy analysts out there) hovers around 100K by December's end - it looks possible that the Chinese Switch will break through that.

There are also cases abounding such as a PlayStation store showing official Chinese ads while selling international Switches. Yea, that's not gonna last long.

Speaking of, the differences between the official Chinese Switch and the standard internarional. Because hoo boy did they do a lot. I'll have to put it in spoilers:

* The Chinese Switch only supports logging into WeChat's (Chinese Skype, also China's ID system. Yea...) servers, and that only via QR code. One Chinese Switch account per WeChat account. The eShop is also bound to the WeChat account and only supports mobile payments. No hardware changes, so this appears to be the root it all - the Chinese Switch presumably runs on a modified OS built around the Chinese servers. While it's unclear if there are any hacks / backdoors (as many, many Chinese commenters hope for), I'd guess most of the possible ones would likely circumvent the WeChat login. Given time, a backdoor is certainly possible (I'll admit I was rash and thought it would be hacked into sooner, but I'm still confident such a thing will be possible).

* Oh yeah, only NSMBU is on the Chinese eShop (yay...), although MK8DX and Odyssey are pre-orderable. Both Nintendo and Tencent made this clear from the start though, and 50+ games are in the pipeline. The target date for physical stuff is February (Chinese New Year), so I'll wait until then with a full evaluation of the game roster.

* While standard cartridges are fully playable and can be updated, DLC and online multiplayer are unsupported until the official release. No NSO or the Smartphone app yet. Chinese Switch users and international ones can see each other but not add each other as friends. Local multiplayer is still supported, and the Chinese Switch can still download patches from an international machine. Any DLC still has to come through the standard version before being transferred to the Chinese. It's fully feasible to play as :ulthero: on a Chinese machine though:

*Also: Various owners of the international Switch are reporting faster connection speeds to Nintendo's servers after the official Chinese version went live.

So, you guys:
Not fully confirmed yet, but sounds like we all gotta more there then. :4pacman:
Link to the gaming website which tested out the Chinese Switch here. (in Chinese of course, use Google Translate.)

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Right now, the odd part is KOS-MOS and the whole "Verg has no ****ing clue what's up with her".

I'm seriously not trusting he has good info but

Even if he doesn't, how can "No Bamco" then turn into "Wait, dunno about KOS-MOS".

****'s weird.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
I hope there's a reveal at the game awards, even if it's someone I'm not particularly interested in. Anyways, I've got something dumb to say.

Imagine there was a Pass for each company in the game right now and Sakurai and the devs told YOU (yes, you) that you got to decide who's in. That means a Fighters Pass for...
  • Atlus
  • Bandai Namco
  • Capcom
  • Konami
  • Microsoft
  • Nintendo
  • SEGA
  • SNK
  • Square Enix
In that case, who would you add? Try to keep it between 3-6 characters each. Also, try to keep it one character per franchise, and spirits/assist trophies are allowed. (You can still choose to omit them if you'd like.) Here's my picks. Keep in mind that I don't want all of the characters listed here, though.
Actually working on a graphic for that, but it's taking freaking forever.

• Elenor Camuel (Phantasy Star Online)
  • Segata Sanshiro (SEGA Saturn Ad Campaign)
  • Sakura Shinguji (Sakura Wars)
  • Ulala (Space Channel 5)
  • Casey (Kid Chameleon)
  • Haruka Amami (THE iDOLM@STER)
  • Ryusei Date (Super Robot Wars: Original Generation)
  • Klonoa (Klonoa)
  • Rick (Splatterhouse)
  • Momo (Wonder Momo)
[I'm counting each of the FF MMOs as their own thing. >_>]
  • Shantotto (Final Fantasy XI)
  • Aya Brea (Parasite Eve)
  • Raziel (Legacy of Kain)
  • 2B (Nier)
  • Hildibrand (Final Fantasy XIV)
  • Clippy (Microsoft Office)
  • Raz (Psychonauts)
  • Conker (Conker)
  • Juno/Vela (Jet Force Gemini)
  • Master Chief (Halo)
  • Pyramid Head (Silent Hill)
  • Shiori Fujisaki (Tokimeki Memorial)
  • Reiko Fujimoto (Rumble Roses)
  • Frogger (Frogger)
  • Leo Stenbuck/Jehuty (Zone of the Enders)
  • Athena Asamiya (Psycho Soldier)
  • Load Ran (Twinkle Star Crusaders)
  • Nakoruru (Samurai Shodown)*
  • Fiolina Germi (Metal Slug)
  • Simea (Crystalis)
*Actually want Cham Cham or Mina, but let's be realistic
  • Tron Bonne (Mega Man Legends)
  • Samanosuke Akechi (Onimusha)
  • Lei-Lei (Darkstalkers)
  • Deis (Breath of Fire)
  • Regina (Dino Crisis)*
*This spot can actually go a few different ways. Scissorman, Fiona/Hewie, etc.
  • Kevin Keene (Captain N and the Video Game Masters)
  • Alexandra Roivas (Eternal Darkness)
  • Ashley Mizuki Robbins (Another Code)
  • Skull Kid (The Legend of Zelda)
  • Porky (Mother)

And just for the sake of it, a random pack for smaller or more niche options.
  • Quinty (Quinty)
  • Giana (The Great Giana Sisters)
  • Carmen Sandiego (Where is Carmen Sandiego?)
  • Reimu Hakurei (Touhou)*
  • Hamakaze (Kantai Collection)**
*Would actually prefer like 90% of the Touhou cast instead, but I'll take what I can get.
**Yuudachi is also a good choice. A number of others are also acceptable...

Another idol (Kirari, please?) as an echo for Haruka, Lisa as an echo for Elenor, and possibly a second ship-girl as an echo would all be pretty great as well.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
The sole NUMBER of deconfirmations by Sabi and Verge is too high to the point that at least one could easily be a false positive.
At this point, who the hell is even left?
Even the unlikely but hype choices like Sora and Kratos have been tossed.
If it ain't KOS-MOS, I have to call bull**** and say that one of the disconfirmations is a false positive.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
The sole NUMBER of deconfirmations by Sabi and Verge is too high to the point that at least one could easily be a false positive.
If it ain't KOS-MOS, I have to call bull**** and say that one of the disconfirmations is a false positive.
What's still left is the situation that leads to you eating, as you've said yourself, a raw egg.

D

Deleted member

Verge and Sabi are both sweating bullets right now at the mere mention of KOS-MOS. She's probably going to end their leaking career.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Verge and Sabi are both sweating bullets right now at the mere mention of KOS-MOS. She's probably going to end their leaking career.
If it's KOS-MOS, it'll probably be a dual reveal.
KOS-MOS to end the first pass and a super hype character (like Crash) to kick off Pass 2.

D

Deleted member

If it's KOS-MOS, it'll probably be a dual reveal.
KOS-MOS to end the first pass and a super hype character (like Crash) to kick off Pass 2.
Bruh I kinda see that as compensation should they get revealed.

Doom Slayer to kickstart Season 2 is a viable prediction, I must say. Mallowdemon leak.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I hope there's a reveal at the game awards, even if it's someone I'm not particularly interested in. Anyways, I've got something dumb to say.

Imagine there was a Pass for each company in the game right now and Sakurai and the devs told YOU (yes, you) that you got to decide who's in. That means a Fighters Pass for...
  • Atlus
  • Bandai Namco
  • Capcom
  • Konami
  • Microsoft
  • Nintendo
  • SEGA
  • SNK
  • Square Enix
In that case, who would you add? Try to keep it between 3-6 characters each. Also, try to keep it one character per franchise, and spirits/assist trophies are allowed. (You can still choose to omit them if you'd like.) Here's my picks. Keep in mind that I don't want all of the characters listed here, though.
Not too familiar with Atlus. Sorry. :/
  1. Yusuke
  2. Uh...
  1. Dig Dug
  2. Lloyd Irving
  3. KOS-MOS
  4. Heihachi Mishima
  5. Chosen Undead
  6. Agumon
  1. Dante
  2. Phoenix Wright
  3. Amaterasu
  4. Zero
  5. Morrigan Aensland
  6. Leon Kennedy
Not too familiar with Konami either... .-.
  1. Raiden
  2. Alucard
  3. (This is where I'd add Pyramid Head if Konami didn't let the rights expire...)
  1. Master Chief
  2. Steve
  3. Rash
  4. Mumbo Jumbo
  5. Conker the Squirrel
  6. Joanna Dark
  1. Rex
  2. Isaac
  3. Geno
  4. Byleth
  5. Porky Minch
  6. Krystal
  1. Shadow the Hedgehog
  2. Arle Nadja
  3. Billy Hatcher
  4. Kiryu Kazuma
  5. Vyse
  1. Haohmaru
  2. Marco Rossi
  3. Ralf Jones
    • (Athena Asamiya too if they're not repping the same series)
  1. (Insert Final Fantasy protag (besides Cloud :ultcloud:) here)
  2. Neku Sakuraba
  3. Marina Lightyear (Did I spell that right?)
  4. Gex

No because it's a secret.
Not that it'd happen to this extent, but I'll play along with a singular pass having 1 character from each company.

Mega Man X for Capcom.
Lara Croft for Square-Enix.
Elma for Nintendo.
Jin Kazama for Namco.
Haomaru for SNK.
Beat for SEGA.
Bill Rizer for Konami.
Jack Frost for Atlus.
Fulgore for Microsoft/Rare.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Given Sabi's comment ("the FP5 would come from a company that Vergeben had deconfirmed before his feedback"), only Farmer, Travis, Steve, Lara Croft, Bub & Bob... and Space Invaders seem like possible choices imo.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
At the risk of this post being dated like... immediately:
It's probably KOS-MOS.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Eh, I'm feeling pretty doubtful about her chances now with that blow to the VGA leak regarding the Re:Mind DLC.
That leak is irrelevant to me.
Sabi and Vergeben are the tried and true leakers.
And they are both acting coy as **** over KOS-MOS.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I know it has nothing to do with a Smash reveal, but since there’s a Indie showcase tomorrow, who are some Indie characters that you would personally love to have any representation in Smash no matter how unlikely?

One of mine would be Wilson from Don't Starve, one my favorite games.
In general? Does Azure Striker Gunvolt count? Guacamelee and Castle Crashers would also be pretty cool. I also would like to see some stuff from Skullgirls and Indivisible.

For fully playable characters, free my ****** Shovel Knight and Shantae.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Eh, I'm feeling pretty doubtful about her chances now with that blow to the VGA leak regarding the Re:Mind DLC.
Did the leak specifically say it was appearing at the VGAs?

I'm at a loss at this point if it isn't KOS-MOS, Phoenix or Geralt.

Well I suppose it could be a Three Houses rep (Edelgard or Byleth)

D

Deleted member

Then again, we still have SMT V and the Clock Tower remake that was part of the leak, so if those pop out, I kinda see them as acceptable summoning requirements XD

That leak is irrelevant to me.
Sabi and Vergeben are the tried and true leakers.
And they are both acting coy as **** over KOS-MOS.
And now most of the community is having doubts over the two, so much that nobody is going to know who exactly it will be.

D

Deleted member

Did the leak specifically say it was appearing at the VGAs?

I'm at a loss at this point if it isn't KOS-MOS, Phoenix or Geralt.

Well I suppose it could be a Three Houses rep (Edelgard or Byleth)
The DLC was planned like, last year, and the theme of having all of the characters be third-party was probably decided as well. Then again, Corrin was revealed for Smash 4...

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
The DLC was planned like, last year, and the theme of having all of the characters be third-party was probably decided as well. Then again, Corrin was revealed for Smash 4...
The "theme" of Smash 4 DLC was hardly all Third-Party. If anything it was, "Returning Veterans and a bonus."

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095

• Atlus
  • Bandai Namco
  • Capcom
  • Konami
  • Microsoft
  • Nintendo
  • SEGA
  • SNK
  • Square Enix
Not too familiar with Atlus. Sorry. :/
  1. Yusuke
  2. Uh...
  1. Dig Dug
  2. Lloyd Irving
  3. KOS-MOS
  4. Heihachi Mishima
  5. Chosen Undead
  6. Agumon
  1. Dante
  2. Phoenix Wright
  3. Amaterasu
  4. Zero
  5. Morrigan Aensland
  6. Leon Kennedy
Not too familiar with Konami either... .-.
  1. Raiden
  2. Alucard
  3. (This is where I'd add Pyramid Head if Konami didn't let the rights expire...)
  1. Master Chief
  2. Steve
  3. Rash
  4. Mumbo Jumbo
  5. Conker the Squirrel
  6. Joanna Dark
  1. Rex
  2. Isaac
  3. Geno
  4. Byleth
  5. Porky Minch
  6. Krystal
  1. Shadow the Hedgehog
  2. Arle Nadja
  3. Billy Hatcher
  4. Kiryu Kazuma
  5. Vyse
  1. Haohmaru
  2. Marco Rossi
  3. Ralf Jones
    • (Athena Asamiya too if they're not repping the same series)
  1. (Insert Final Fantasy protag (besides Cloud :ultcloud:) here)
  2. Neku Sakuraba
  3. Marina Lightyear (Did I spell that right?)
  4. Gex

No because it's a secret.
I know I said I was going to take a break (that and I'm still trying to keep up to date on certain threads), but if anything I'll still hang around just to answer questions like this for fun and to congratulate whoever Fighter 5 ends up being. But here's my responses if I had to make Fighter Passes for individual companies, but I'll try to limit to 3.
[Sega/Atlus]: Dr. Eggman, Kazuma Kiryu, Aigis.
[Bandai Namco]: KOS-MOS, Nightmare, Chosen Undead
[Capcom]: Phoenix Wright, Dante, Amaterasu
[Konami/HudsonSoft]: Raiden, Alucard, Bomberman
[Microsoft]: Master Chief, Steve, Fulgore
[SNK]: Marco Rossi, Nakoruru, Kyo Kusanagi
[Square Enix]: Terra Branford, Neku, Lara Croft/Marina Liteyears.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Smash 4's DLC was a more typical fighting game DLC plan by having a mix of veterans and new comers. For obvious, they couldn't do that again for this game's DLC plan.
That makes it much more hype.
It's much more fun to be like, "Is it Lloyd? Doom Slayer? KOS-MOS?" than to be like, "C'mon Sakurai, give us Wolf back..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom