• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I'm a Rex fan and I'm quite pleased with the fighter pass.
The problem is that it’s unlikely to please Rex guys who don’t know any of the four characters. With marketing, you want to aim at the core of the audience and it happens that Kosmos is an arrow that’s perfect for the job.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
This proves I'm the biggest brained individual here as I've got too much **** to do to be impatient for TGA which may not even have anything lol
Rood.

...I mean you're probably not wrong.

But rood.

:drsad:

Shroob

Sup?
The problem is that it’s unlikely to please Rex guys who don’t know any of the four characters. With marketing, you want to aim at the core of the audience and it happens that Kosmos is an arrow that’s perfect for the job.
Who the hell says they're aiming for this core audience you speak of?

Maybe

They're aiming....elsewhere?

Shroob

Sup?
The TGA predictions video, one of Jon's predictions was KOSMOS in Smash
JonGamexplain, "I don't leak, stop making me out to be one."

*Also JonGamexplain*

"Uh, KOSMOS! Yeah, that's an obscure pick no one's talking about at all right now, right!?"

Still not convinced but if it is her I s2G Jon.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
This proves I'm the biggest brained individual here as I've got too much **** to do to be impatient for TGA which may not even have anything lol
I mean, I got some stuff/work to keep me busy in the mean time.

It's just staying here for those 3 days ain't going to make time go faster, that's for sure.:secretkpop:

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Rood is Dutch for Red, clearly this means FP5 is from Red Faction
Ahhh, but you forget one of the most forgettable memorable titles from the Wii's library, ripe for the picking!

Oh right, images are broken. The joke is Red Steel for Wii.

On a side note the first result Google suggested for me when typing in Red Steel was "Red Steel Bridge Fortnite" and I died a bit inside.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
For all we know, it may be done like that AFTER the pass is over. We don't know. As is, it's basically acting like a bonus item.

As scummy as it can come across, it's pretty bog standard for most games to do stuff like this, being pack in a bonus item that can only be obtained if you buy the DLC as a bundle and not separately.

It's really just a business model that's not even new.
The big problem was that Sakurai didn’t expect to work on the game after the pass.

The practice is common, but they always try to attach something at the end to keep customers going. Otherwise, they lose a school of fish.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
With marketing you want to go for as many people as possible, not just people who already have your product regardless of how entitled they act.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
JonGamexplain, "I don't leak, stop making me out to be one."

*Also JonGamexplain*

"Uh, KOSMOS! Yeah, that's an obscure pick no one's talking about at all right now, right!?"

Still not convinced but if it is her I s2G Jon.
Jon is just a KOS-MOS stan the whole time

bet he has a body pillow

SKX31

Smash Master
Is Dynasty Warriors even in the running?

I know RotK is probably public Domain but they're still all based on either real or fictional people from a book, right?
Real series of wars - the Three Kingdoms period to be more exact (220 - 280 AD / CE).

There's a historical text, Records of the Three Kingdoms (written late 3rd century by a Chinese historian and the closest source, annontated by another historian in the 5th century). Romance of the Three Kingdoms was written in the 14th century, and Romance is not only one of the most important Chinese tales, but also what everything pop culture borrows from when dealing with the Three Kingdoms period (Dynasty Warriors etc.). FTR, Romance fictionalizes a lot of events and borrows from folklore, other texts and sketches etc. To the point that an 18th century Chinese historian called Romance "seven-parts fact and three-parts fiction."

It's a major question of definition really, although Dynasty Warriors is a fictionalization of an earlier fictionalization.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
The big problem was that Sakurai didn’t expect to work on the game after the pass.

The practice is common, but they always try to attach something at the end to keep customers going. Otherwise, they lose a school of fish.
"Sakurai didn't intend"

No those 10 extra blank DLC spots added 2 months after the game came out mean totally nothing.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
With marketing you want to go for as many people as possible, not just people who already have your product regardless of how entitled they act.
Entitled?? That’s not the point. When you aim for an audience, you must retain their trust at least.

Shroob

Sup?
Entitled?? That’s not the point. When you aim for an audience, you must retain their trust at least.
He didn't aim for Rex fans. He said, "Here's a costume, I'm sorry he's not in."

Even I want KOSMOS and you're ****ing insufferable with your asinine logic.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
He didn't aim for Rex fans. He said, "Here's a costume, I'm sorry he's not in."

Even I want KOSMOS and you're ****ing insufferable with your asinine logic.
At the end of the day Shroob no argument is more crippling than ignoring. :nifty: Can't have an argument if no one listens to you.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
All that matters is if you bought the pass or not.
If you did, they don't need your trust, they already got it when you paid for it.

Capitalism baby.

Shroob

Sup?
At the end of the day Shroob no argument is more crippling than ignoring. :nifty: Can't have an argument if no one listens to you.
This is why I stay in the General thread 95% of the time. If you peeps gotta deal with **** like this on the reg, you can keep 'em.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I understand that KOS-MOS has been a hot topic in this thread (and probably all of them) right now however I really need an explanation as to why this character should join the current smash roster. As far as I can tell she was a JRPG character from the ps2 era and appeared in XB2 as an easter egg (or nod to series roots). Xenosaga went from 2002-2006 and Kos-Mos stared in all 4 games. From what I can see she hardly stands as a 'great' within the JRPG protagonists more of a cult following protagonist.

Basically I just want to know why KOS-MOS should get in, and who is KOS-MOS as a character within the gaming industry?

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
"Sakurai didn't intend"

No those 10 extra blank DLC spots added 2 months after the game came out mean totally nothing.
Think of this the dlc was chosen by November 2018. They don’t know the pass will be success or a flop, which means every fighter counts. In preparation of great success, they add extra programmed slots in there just in case.

Shroob

Sup?
Think of this the dlc was chosen by November 2018. They don’t know the pass will be success or a flop, which means every fighter counts. In preparation of great success, they add extra programmed slots in there just in case.
The pass' main sales were in December, the day it was launched, and the following month.

Yes, they knew it was a success ****ing 2 months after the pass was available to purchase.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
If you're buying a season pass blind with the full intention of "I KNOW they'll add so and so, it's bound to happen!" Then you are in the wrong market, assuming you bought it before knowing the full content in question. That is the risk you take. No one is forcing you to do anything.

I just bought it because Smash is fun, characters are fun, stages are fun, music is fun and more of them means more fun. And so far the pass has been exceedingly fun, and it would have been even if I didn't give a crap about any of the characters. It's more content, AKA what they advertised it as.

Buy something like that for what is promised, not your own unrealistic expectations.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
All that matters is if you bought the pass or not.
If you did, they don't need your trust, they already got it when you paid for it.

Capitalism baby.
Capitalism is about consistency and trust. In the game industry, you want the audience to see something they want and trust it. Nintendo has a strong image because of its good practices, while other companies are given a poor reputation because of their insanely corruptive practices.
If you're buying a season pass blind with the full intention of "I KNOW they'll add so and so, it's bound to happen!" Then you are in the wrong market, assuming you bought it before knowing the full content in question. That is the risk you take. No one is forcing you to do anything.

I just bought it because Smash is fun, characters are fun, stages are fun, music is fun and more of them means more fun. And so far the pass has been exceedingly fun, and if would have been even it I didn't give a crap about any of the characters. It's more content, AKA what they advertised it as.

Buy something like that from what is promised, not your own unrealistic expectations.
Why do people love to pretend I’m doing stupid stuff when I don’t even mention anything about buying anything?

I‘m looking at Nintendo from a business perspective, with their policies in mind. They want their image to be good and they want people to be happy with the dlc. They’re less willing to screw customers over or leave them feeling disappointed. Ultimate is one of their bigger games, the dlc can potentially make or break a part of Nintendo’s image.

From that position, I struggle with the urge of NOT putting Kosmos into the pass because the Rex costume drags in the Xenoblade audience I’m trying to gain and appeal to. I also struggle considering other fighters who can possibly please thIs crowd just as much as Kosmos can.

That’s the reasoning for why the Rex costume is a relevant sign for Kosmos, I’m legitimately cornered in this position.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Okay, I understand that KOS-MOS has been a hot topic in this thread (and probably all of them) right now however I really need an explanation as to why this character should join the current smash roster. As far as I can tell she was a JRPG character from the ps2 era and appeared in XB2 as an easter egg (or nod to series roots). Xenosaga went from 2002-2006 and Kos-Mos stared in all 4 games. From what I can see she hardly stands as a 'great' within the JRPG protagonists more of a cult following protagonist.

Basically I just want to know why KOS-MOS should get in, and who is KOS-MOS as a character within the gaming industry?
I dunno the character, but she's pretty much a Namco crossover queen. I've seen her in **** like Super Robot Wars, the one 3DS game which mixed Namco, Capcom and Nintendo, etc.

I mean, same can be said of Joker, really.

I don't really think a character needs a 'reason' to get into Smash, it's just whatever the big man wants in.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Reminder that Sakurai said to only buy the pass if you felt confident in it.

Capitalism is about consistency and trust. In the game industry, you want the audience to see something they want and trust it. Nintendo has a strong image because of its good practices, while other companies are given a poor reputation because of their insanely corruptive practices.
lmao

Shroob

Sup?
........He thinks Capitalism is about trust.

I'm done here lmao

I.D.

Smash Lord
If this couple of posters weren't so persistent on their particular brands of insanity I would be tempted to write them off as false flaggers. Reminder that both of them have admitted to not playing Xenosaga and seem to make it their personal mission to sour all discussion regarding kos-mos and piss off everyone, friend and foe alike. One supports her literally only because she's a woman, the other is some wacko conspiracy theorist obsessed with trying to understand Sakurai's thought process regarding picks (something that never works).

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
I just realized Travis is still alive somehow. People are using the GX video as evidence for KOSMOS and they also talked about Travis so hmmmmmmmmm.
"Travis wouldn't be a good pick to reveal at TGA. He just wouldn't resonate with that type of audience."
shortly after suggesting Geno would be a super-hype pick that would get everyone watching excited...

Granted, Derrick did at least call that out later in the video, but it was still kind of "What?".

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Anyone who immediately bought the pass with the idea that their Nintendo obscure picks would obviously get in...is not smart. They're the kind of people EA and their ilk thrive off of. Even Banjo diehards knew they could just wait and buy him separately if he ever got revealed.

There was no pre-order incentive, no bonus for buying early. You could hold out on buying it until right now and still get the same money's worth as anyone who bought it a year ago, if you were fine with waiting.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
All I'm gonna say is

I legit laughed like that one Mexican dude with the bad teeth, the one meme video people put subtitles over.

That guy.

My ****ing neck hurts from laughing soo hard.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
"Travis wouldn't be a good pick to reveal at TGA. He just wouldn't resonate with that type of audience."
shortly after suggesting Geno would be a super-hype pick that would get everyone watching excited...
Travis shows up at VGAs in a trailer and calls everyone a ****head before getting in Smash

D

Deleted member

I just realized Travis is still alive somehow. People are using the GX video as evidence for KOSMOS and they also talked about Travis so hmmmmmmmmm.
Travis would be really cool.

Which stage would you want with him?

Plank08

Smash Lord
Fatman got kicked out of Sabi's server and is claiming Sabi's mean and **** and thus should be cancelled on twitter despite everyone knowing cancel culture doesn't actually exist and there's a pretty high chance Fatman's just pissed because he can't use his "trust me guys i'm in a discord server so my speculation is more worthwhile, Geno Win" excuse anymore
That’s not even..
Fatman called Sabi out on Blackmailing and making people lose their jobs, Idk what page it happened but it didn’t have anything to do with the previous drama

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
OK, to change topic a bit, does anyone here who played the Xenosaga trilogy know what stage would be best for her? If yes, what kind of "gimmick" we can expect for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom