• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Its a bit refreshing not having a single clue as to who the next character will be. I personally just hope that #5 is a megaton bomb of an announcement after the "?" that was Terry (whos a good character just not well known. calm down)
I'm entering the game awards with zero expectations. It's a much better mentality this way since I'm going to be surprised regardless of who gets shown.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
If we are going based off the "deconfirmations" Capcom seems to be the most uncertain of all of them. Because one party says yes and another says no.

I say it's weird how the only new Capcom items added to Ultimate were Ken, spirits, and assist trophies. It seems to be the right time for a brand new Capcom character. Especially with how many popular characters Capcom has at their disposal.
How can you say this when Namco objectively got less. In Terms of New actual content, Konami and Capcom got it best in terms of 3rd parties.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
What leaks are supposed to be: Conte
I know wishlists can get really repetitive, but we’ve had a lot of lesser talked about characters get the spotlight recently and any other topic is better than insider drama.

So who would y’all put as your top 4 for DLC wants.
1. Oragon and Ren (Monster Strike) fighting like :ultpokemontrainer: and his Pokemon
2. Red Dragon Caller, Sonia (Puzzle & Dragons)
3. Filia (Skullgirls) but only if she's fully animated in 2D or stylized to imitate the appearance
4. Red (Angry Birds)

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
How can you say this when Namco objectively got less. In Terms of New actual content, Konami and Capcom got it best in terms of 3rd parties.
Since they are developing the games, I would expect they would add everything they would want to.

And with the recent Resident Evil spirit event, it shows that Nintendo and Capcom were at the negotiating table quite recently. Showing they are still talking about smash.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Not giving them a rep at this point is a crime. They’re too overshadowed when Ultimate is a dream game.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Bamco's not developing the game though. They only assisted with development of the base game. Yeah, that's a big thing and they deserve more reps but that doesn't mean that they have to get another rep. I couldn't really think of a better rep for the company than Pac-Man.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Since they are developing the games, I would expect they would add everything they would want to.
But it seems biased at that point. "Capcom got a lot of **** in the base game, I think they are due for more. But Namco got really nothing so obviously they aren't getting anything more."

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Real talk, if Geno does get in, they should put him in more Mario spinoffs tbh. Mario has so many characters they could use in their spinoffs, yet ever since the 3DS era, they've been more or less going with the usual picks.

I know Geno is Square Enix and all. Just throwing out ideas here and there.
I mean, I think anyone can agree that Geno would be better than adding Blue Copper Dark Baby Angry Cosmic Waluigi Jr. or whatever other random nonsense characters they add with no purpose than being filler.

I will never not be mad about Baby Rosalina's illogical existence.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Sega has three unique franchises represented.
Sonic, Bayonetta, and Joker.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
TBH I think some people get hung up on the idea of "Representation Ratio".

I don't think it matters if Capcom and other companies get a bunch and Namco sits with what it has, if that's how DLC goes down.

Last edited:

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597
I know wishlists can get really repetitive, but we’ve had a lot of lesser talked about characters get the spotlight recently and any other topic is better than insider drama.

My DLC wishlist is:
♛ Puyo Puyo Rep (Arle is the most likely pick)
♛ Edelgard (Byleth would be nice as well, but i pefer Eddie)
♛ Kasumi (Persona 5 Royal)
♛ Monokuma

Spirit upgrades:
♛ Pauline
♛ Viridi

Assist Trophies:
♛ Ashley

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
In all seriousness, I think it would have been cool. Golisopod is the fighter and Guzma is in the background (Like PKMN trainer) and just hypes you through out.
Especially if this means we get Guzma's theme in the game. No joke, I love his battle theme and was the best part of Sun & Moon.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
My final guess is still one of:
  • Master Chief
  • Dragonborn
  • Phoenix Wright
I'm also not expecting a reveal at the VGA so I likely wont tune in.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
But it seems biased at that point. "Capcom got a lot of **** in the base game, I think they are due for more. But Namco got really nothing so obviously they aren't getting anything more."
I'll have to agree with you. Yes they deserve a lot more than what is currently in game. I was just looking at it through the angle of "well they might have negotiated everything they wanted already and nothing more" so I apologise.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Its a bit refreshing not having a single clue as to who the next character will be. I personally just hope that #5 is a megaton bomb of an announcement after the "?" that was Terry (whos a good character just not well known. calm down)
Among the Smash or Nintendo community for sure, but Terry is the less "?" character of the pass from a general viewpoint by far.
If he wasn't a megaton bomb it isn't because he is a who character, it's because most of the people who are into speculation weren't aware or very familiarized with SNK.

Megatons are very cool and I'd like to see Chief or Kratos, but other picks can be equally cool.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
At this point it would just feel strange if Geno gets in. He’s become so well-known for being speculated for Smash and causing drama and arguments that it’s hard to imagine him actually becoming a character and that all just stopping. He’s like a time capsule.
I think the strangest thing is that there won't really be anyone after Geno that has that unique combination of history, controversy and a massive fanbase that makes for these frantic yet oddly endearing character threads that have defined Smash speculation for so long, for better and for worse. After Ridley got announced we still had K. Rool, and after K. Rool we still had Geno, but after Geno there's not really anyone, he's pretty much the last one. Isaac is the closest, but his situation in Ultimate is tough (belief plays a huge part), and his fanbase has always been much calmer than any of those I mentioned previously, partly due to being just a step down the latter in terms of popularity.

I find myself lurking the Geno thread quite often despite not being an actual supporter of the character, just because it's the last old school character thread out there, it makes me feel oddly at home after spending so many years in the various Ridley threads. It feels like once that one is gone, character support will be spread out much more than ever before, there's not going to be any huge characters that people rally behind in the same way. You have characters like Banjo who's threads get a short spurt of activity thanks to leaks raising the belief in that character making it, and I'm sure the same will happen if another bigshot like Sora were to leak, but it's not really the same as a community that's been built over the course of more than a decade.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
TBH I think some people get hung up on the idea of "Representation Ratio".

I don't think it matters if Capcom and other companies get a bunch and Namco sits with what it has, if that's how DLC goes down.
Consider that Namco is a big factor into Ultimate’s existence.
I'll have to agree with you. Yes they deserve a lot more than what is currently in game. I was just looking at it through the angle of "well they might have negotiated everything they wanted already and nothing more" so I apologise.
Remember, there is a fighter’s pass and they likely have the fifth spot before the game’s launch.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace

Same as it ever was...
Elenor Camuel (Phantasy Star Online)
Kevin Keene (Captain N and the Video Game Masters)
Haruka Amami (THE iDOLM@STER)
Alexandra Roivas (Eternal Darkness)

Plank08

Smash Lord
Okay, I'm gonna say it but:

Ngl, I'm a little jealous of Geno's fanbase. I wish my niche picks had half the support those guys got. It sucks how I could wish for X character to be in, only to be told that they're too obscure (and they're right, which is why they won't get in), yet Geno, despite being told that time after time still has a very healthy fanbase. Having a healthy, passionate fanbase is essentially a massive boon for those wanting their pick to be added in Ultimate.

I think really, at the end of the day, it's just me being annoyed over how wishy washy Smash speculation can be. No one wants X, because they're XYZ, yet there's another char with the same issues as the char you just wanted, but is backed up by much louder, more passionate fanbase. It makes me wonder how characters like these have so many people resonating with them, while other chars do not.
Same, I enjoy my sackboy thread, but MAN what I would give for it to have even half of what Genos getting

MooMew64

Consider that Namco is a big factor into Ultimate’s existence.
I don't think Smash characters should be added as some kind of "honor system" rule.

They asissted with development, yes, but it's not like Smash 4 and Ultimate wouldn't have happened without them. Other developers potentially could have assisted as well.

This is coming from a guy who has a Bamco character in his top 3, by the way. I just don't see anything making any character objectively better than the other. Saying a fictional character "deserves" anything is applying too much personal emotion into something that is fictional.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I don't think Smash characters should be added as some kind of "honor system" rule.

They asissted with development, yes, but it's not like Smash 4 and Ultimate wouldn't have happened without them. Other developers potentially could have assisted as well.

This is coming from a guy who has a Bamco character in his top 3, by the way. I just don't see anything making any character objectively better than the other. Saying a fictional character "deserves" anything is applying too much personal emotion into something that is fictional.
Explain Joker and Terry. The formal inspires the game layout of this game, the latter is the inspiration of Smash. It’s like you don’t pay attention to Sakurai at all.

Last edited:

MooMew64

Explain Joker and Terry? The formal inspires the game layout of this game, the latter is the inspiration of Smash. It’s like you don’t pay attention to Sakurai at all.
Orrrrr maybe Sakurai just likes those games and they're popular choices that appeal to different crowds?

Persona 5 inspiring the menu of Ultimate had nothing to do with him getting in. Persona 5 was huge during 2018, and it was most likely chosen based off of that appeal and Sakurai just plain liking the game. It had nothing to do with "paying homage".

Terry is straight up just Sakurai liking SNK, lol. No deep hidden meaning there IMHO.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

Crash, Spyro, Doom Slayer, and Heihachi.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Orrrrr maybe Sakurai just likes those games and they're popular choices that appeal to different crowds?

Persona 5 inspiring the menu of Ultimate had nothing to do with him getting in. Persona 5 was huge during 2018, and it was most likely chosen based off of that appeal and Sakurai just plain liking the game. It had nothing to do with "paying homage".

Terry is straight up just Sakurai liking SNK, lol. No deep hidden meaning there IMHO.
Deep hidden meanings? Sounds like you’re on the road of buzzwords.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
*Cries in non-Street fighter 2

Seriously though Its kinda shocking that we live in a world where Namco somehow got less presence in smash than Square enix.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord

Dante (Devil May Cry)
Master Chief (Halo)
Kratos (God of War)
Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear)

Honorable Mentions: Doomguy (DOOM), Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden), Byleth (Fire Emblem), Lloyd (Tales), Akira (Astral Chain), Shadow (Sonic), Travis (No More Heroes), Scorpion (Mortal Kombat), Sora (Kingdom Hearts)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Same, I enjoy my sackboy thread, but MAN what I would give for it to have even half of what Genos getting
Not to play contrarian, but the Geno and BK threads constantly get massive trolls and entitled folk on a daily basis. As a guy who really wanted BK, I rarely visited their support threads because god I did not like it. It's also why I gravitated toward Erdrick a lot because I found its support thread to be actually supportive and not deconstructive of everything that wasn't their character.

Like if you asked me if Bomberman's thread should be a waking cesspool or just dead, I'll take the latter. Not worth the stress.

MooMew64

Deep hidden meanings? Sounds like you’re on the road of buzzwords.
How is that a buzzword? All I'm saying is that I think you might be overthinking Smash characters just a bit.

Also, none of us know Sakurai. We like to think we do, we like to analyze, misinterpret, and pretend we know him personally, but we don't. And we never will, because none of us actually know the man, and it's extremely presumptuous to think we know 100% why he does every little thing that he does in Smash and present our theories as fact.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord

Here goes:

1. Rayman: The only character right now who would satisfy me for the rest of the DLC period. I wouldn't ask for anyone else. He is a part of my childhood and one of my inspirations for my animation career. I honestly think the only reason he hasn't been a character yet is that Sakurai hates him lol
  2. Doom Slayer: I love Doom. Never played 2016 until more recently but I'll make sure to pick up Eternal on release. The Slayer as a character is a thing I did not realize would be amazing until he started ranking in character polls pre-release, and now I would be excited for his inclusion.
  3. Rex &/or Pyra: They got robbed. I know the general opinion on Rex/Xenoblade 2 is split but I personally really enjoyed that game and 100%ed it, even the most garbage sidequests like the Ursula one (if you know, you know). Additionally, Xenoblade needs more music in its selection, and XC2's soundtrack is amazing, one of my favorites. I hope that if Rex gets in he had his late-game appearance rather than his first one, but that's unlikely.
  4. Female: I'm just gonna pull a @Lesley Black Velvet and admit that we need some waymein sooner or later. I don't have a prefered pick, but I really like Arle and Amaterasu. Would Pyra alongside Rex count, or would that be Kazooie tier? (it doesn't count)
  5. (Bonus) Porky. Love the fat S.O.A.B. and I would definitely pick him up as a secondary if he made it in. He's horrifying, but that's what appeals to me, I like playing as intimidating characters in games, and a sideways crawling spider fits the bill for me.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Explain Joker and Terry. The formal inspires the game layout of this game, the latter is the inspiration of Smash. It’s like you don’t pay attention to Sakurai at all.
You can throw these arguments as bonus points for their inclusion, but these reasons weren't the main reason for Sakurai to include Joker and Terry.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Pick your timeline.

Timeline A: TGA has a Smash Newcomer, and it's somebody that fits with Vergeben's list of "not in". There are only three more characters left, and they're all first party, and have no content besides themselves, but can be anything that's already in the game promoted.

Timeline B: TGA same as above, but Verge is allowed to take the L. We get a second pass. All from repped series, that come with an Echo fighter for somebody else but nothing else. All promotions apply, except DLC Mii Costumes.

Timeline C: TGA's come and pass, no Smash news, but a dedicated Smash Direct in December. Fighters #75 and 76 are revealed at the start and end, and Ultimate will be getting two more passes, featuring less stages (6 in their own tab, all characters with stages are from franchises not yet playable) and no Spirit Boards (in exchange, more spirits are added to the pool). All promotions apply, except DLC Mii Costumes.

Timeline D: December turns out to be a dry month completely. January has a Smash Direct that reveals 75 and 76. DLC for this game is absolutely huge, featuring DLC songs, individual stages, one mode per year, and costume packs in addition to the biggest draw: Challenger Packs. We go on until Smash hits 100 playable characters, counting Echoes. Base game content can be promoted, but what came post-launch is out for good.

Timeline E: December and January are both dry. February has a Smash Direct revealing 75 at the start, and 76 and 77 at the end (only 75 and 76 have gameplay). DLC is the same as Timeline D, except even bigger as Nintendo decides they want Smash Ultimate to be the main flagship game to sell Nintendo Switches to prospective buyers. DLC has a few promotions, but mostly focuses on unrepped content. DLC ends when Smash hits 100 numbered individual fighters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom