• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
careful now, this much certainty and i'll have to screencap this post
I'm not being certain about it lol
I'm just saying people still are on the edge about Sony, which means if a potential reveal ever happens then the shock factor will still be there and isn't gone.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Vergeben doesn’t know who it is because he source literally hasn’t told him.

They are leaking names to remove possibilities instead of directly naming the pick to avoid consequences.

It’s literally that simple folks. It’s one thing to doubt leakers, but we go over some of this stuff all the time. Over and over.

I’m definitely skeptical at this point but I’m curious to see where it all goes in the meantime. My most wanted picks are out, so I don’t have much to back up.

I still think people are overlooking Geralt, whether that’s because they haven’t played the Witcher or what (neither have I...), but I absolutely would not discount the fact that he’s viable to be pick 5.

If you ask me, Sony getting a pick has overrated chances. The only reason people are saying it, seems to be because Microsoft is in, but that’s completely different. Microsoft has collaborated with Nintendo, and had a very specific pick that was actively requested for Smash. That’s not close to the position Sony is in, so I must admit I’m left wondering why people are saying, “If it’s not Sony then who is it?!?” As if Sony is the last developer that could possibly provide a character.

Play video games, noobs.
But at least a Sony character would probably originate in a video game series. Geralt by technicality even if they do decide to go with the Witcher video game iteration specifically originated from a book which would go against Sakurais rule of only video game content in smash.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
League of Legends hasn't been deconfirmed. I never played, but the characters have really interesting designs and abilities, I liked the lore I read up on, and the musical group videos are neat. The folks at Riot Games are also huge Smash fans; they've modded the game to put their own characters in it. League of Legends is something I've supported for a while now. It just makes sense to me, and calling it popular is a bit of an understatement. If it got into Smash, that'd be nuts. I imagine it having like 50 spirit battles.

Anyways, my fav League character is apparently unpopular. Maybe Smash could change that?

Obviously they're going to go with another rep, if it ever happened, but Taliyah though. I also just wanted an excuse to post that video lol.
Sorry I didn't adress you properly, I was on mobile and too busy ****posting.

Anyways, as I told you before in the LoL thread, I don't think Taliyah is flat out unpopular, she's just... less popular compared to other Champions. It's not like she's memed to the point of near hatred like Teemo.

I would know, I used to main Teemo.

But yeah, the mages in general would be interesting choices - though I have my doubts about the walls and obstacles Taliyah is able to make. They're kind of a staple for her gameplay, so they'd need to find a way to work them in somehow...

I have to make an edit of this when I get home. I hope I don’t forget.
Don't worry. I'll remind you. And if you forget today, I'll remind you tomorrow. And if you forget tomorrow, I'll remind you the next day...

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
People are discounting Geralt because he originated from a book series. Which goes against Sakurais statements of “must originate from a video game.”

If you add him, you might as well add Goku at that point.
Well Toei Animation wasn’t on Verge’s list either so....

D

Deleted member

careful now, this much certainty and i'll have to screencap this post
careful now, this much certainty that you'll screencap that post and post it later when a sony character is deconfirmed and i'll have to screencap this post and post it later when a sony character is revealed and someone will have to screencap this post of me saying that i'll screencap your post of you saying that you'll screencap sony guy's post and they'll post it when a sony character is deconfirmed and this cycle will simply never end until entropy finishes its job

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Anyways, Gooigi is still in the running because Verge can't kill him. Gooigi is immortal, only water and flames hurt him, and he simply reforms after a second.

You can slow him down...But you cannot stop the inevitable.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
careful now, this much certainty that you'll screencap that post and post it later when a sony character is deconfirmed and i'll have to screencap this post and post it later when a sony character is revealed and someone will have to screencap this post of me saying that i'll screencap your post of you saying that you'll screencap sony guy's post and they'll post it when a sony character is deconfirmed and this cycle will simply never end until entropy finishes its job
challenger pack 5: entropy

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I'm curious to know what Nintendo of Europe has to say about this whole situation.

After all, they have the best track record out of every leaker so far.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
With any luck we'll get a Smash reveal at TGA and this cycle of Guess Who can be put to bed: whether it is right or wrong. Then it's on to the next DLC character and a whole new series of events!

D

Deleted member

I think we're taking the Geralt/book thing to silly levels. Who here is literally going to look at Geralt from the Witcher series and react to him like, "OMG IT'S GERALT FROM THE WITCHER NOVELS!!!!!!!"

Like no. We're not idiots. We're going to recognize him as the video game dude, as shown with his many crossovers like in Soul Calibur 6.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I think we're taking the Geralt/book thing to silly levels. Who here is literally going to look at Geralt from the Witcher series and react to him like, "OMG IT'S GERALT FROM THE WITCHER NOVELS!!!!!!!"

Like no. We're not idiots. We're going to recognize him as the video game dude, as shown with his many crossovers like in Soul Calibur 6.
He appeared in SC6, MHW, Daemon X Machina and probably another game I forgot. I like to treat Game Geralt and Book Geralt as two separate characters. It's CD-Projekt Red's interpretation of the character, so maaaybe Geralt can slip through the cracks.

D

Deleted member

every time i see sonic the hedgehog i identify him as the air freshener from rad mobile. we are not the same

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace

In the end it doesn't matter what we think. It's up to Sakurai's opinion on Geralt and any other character. He could consider him a game character or a book character. Who knows? He may not even care about Smash's golden rule anymore.

D

Deleted member

He appeared in SC6, MHW, Daemon X Machina and probably another game I forgot. I like to treat Game Geralt and Book Geralt as two separate characters. It's CD-Projekt Red's interpretation of the character, so maaaybe Geralt can slip through the cracks.
My only real question for "Geralt for Smash," is if Geralt can get in, does that mean Batman from the Arkham series can get in? Both are incredibly successful video game series based off of and inspired by non-video game media.

But Batman is Batman. Would he even have a chance?

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
It's gonna be pretty funny if Geralt gets in after Terry considering both were guests in other fighting games within the past year.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman

Tbh I’m pretty sure Sakurai decides not to add “4th Party Characters” not because it would taint smash and no longer make it a video game crossover (that’s how the fans view it) but because it is a lot harder to gain access to fourth party characters because the licensing is a lot more complex than just a regular vg company. I’m pretty sure Sakurai confirmed it himself that he doesn’t add them because of licensing though I may be wrong so don’t quote me on that. Bottom line is even if the fans don’t view it as Geralt from the book the licensing will most likely view it as Geralt from the book AND the game if they were to use the video game iteration

D

Deleted member

If Geralt were to actually get in he would absolutely be the exception to the rule, just based on how much people associate the series with video games nowadays instead of the novels where he actually came from.

D

Deleted member

In the end it doesn't matter what we think. It's up to Sakurai's opinion on Geralt and any other character. He could consider him a game character or a book character. Who knows? He may not even care about Smash's golden rule anymore.
I mean, :ultrob: didn't even originate as a video game, but most people probably recognized him from WarioWare or Mario Kart DS. I wouldn't discount Geralt just because of his history right now.

Plank08

Smash Lord
About Sony, don't want to be that guy but if for some reason it's really Sony no doubt it's gonna be Kratos. The only option besides him is Nathan Drake.
I'd love Ratchet and Kat as well. The first one at least makes sense because Ratchet is still relevant and has appeared on all Playstation consoles since his debut on the PS2, but Kat has only appeared on Vita and PS4, her franchise seems to be finished and she's not really that popular to became the Sony rep.

Again, I love Gravity Rush and Ratchet & Clank as a franchises, but no way it's happening. Even if Sakurai asks for them when talking to Sony, I seriously doubt Sony would accept. They would want to be represented by some of their more well known characters (like any other company I guess). Ratchet has a chance there, but that's it.

Kratos is the closest thing to a Playstation mascot and the most well known character from their IPs. In terms of moveset Kratos is not really that far behind from characters like Dante in terms of possibilities. Only with the iconic Blades of Chaos you have a really cool concept. Then you have the Leviathan Axe, which works like Thor's hammer.

But again, I refuse to believe Sony is likely lmao
Something something sackboy playstation

Jesus I’ve tried to catch up with this thread and I have like 20 pages to go

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Anyway it would be amusing to see Verge on the super defensive if a character from one of the disconfirmed companies on his list makes it in.

D

Deleted member

don't you guys see
geraldo witcher man getting in would open the floodgates to any character from any media getting in, like goku
which is precisely why geraldo witcher man should get in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom