• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

When Saber has one of the better chances with all these possible deconfirmations. You know we’ve entered a wild period of Smash.
And then Verge discomfirms her the next day. and then Sabi disagrees and an insider war breaks out.

......hey wait a minute, did Nintendo planned this? Nah, there's no way they would make Insiders beat each other out in order to disguise Fighter #5.....

........unless..

Lighteni

Smash Journeyman
Chell would actually make a bit of sense. Portal was ridiculously huge when it released, I’d argue it overshadowed even Half Life 2 Episode 2 when it came out. It’s one of those games that brought casual audiences back into video games and defined a lot of the modern industry if I‘m to exaggerate a bit. Gordon is Valve’s icon, but the Portal Gun and Glados are probably just as iconic.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The passage of time is everything. Your position is not a monolith as a leaker, it is forever changing and evolving as you attempt to conduct yourself. It's not the mere passage of time though that does further factor into an overall assessment of his "credibility." Let me re-frame this process:

1. Verge has a poor track record trying to make a name for himself through a variety of bad leaks.
2. Verge has a successful set of leaks for base game Ultimate across a few months and rises to fame. Doesn't get everything to begin with and is famously non-committal to a lot of things such as Isabelle's status and blatantly takes a loss on Minecraft content that he goes insistent on.
3. November 2018 - Verge says Dragon Quest/Square Enix content is coming (Again, there is evidence pointing to this idea being worked on for a very long time pre-release). This is the last thing Verge brought to the table.
4. February 2019 - Verge goes "all-in" on a set of Nintendo Direct confirmations, only for it to absolutely blow up in his face. Credibility is heavily shaken and called into question.
5. June 2019 - Shinobi and the leaking community goes all in on Banjo & Kazooie at E3, Verge comes in very late to back this up.
6. August/September 2019 - SNK is leaked by Nintendo, Verge goes all-in on the absolutely obvious Terry Bogard.
7. December 2019 - Verge starts playing in the "disconfirmation games" by shooting down a little of this and that before he presents his magnum opus of "disconfirmations."

What does all that tell us? Verge had a string of successes and has not shown us anything DLC wise besides the Dragon Quest content (which evidence, again, points to being the earliest developed DLC and having been planned for some time). He didn't show anything about Joker, and hopped on to the other DLC fighters once far more reputable people had made their calls (and the absolutely obvious Terry was revealed by Nintendo). He didn't get anything "right" then because it doesn't mean anything to confirm once the cat is already out of the bag. He hasn't had anything to say since November 2018, which demonstrates the fact that his value as a source has seriously depreciated.

And I've been yelling at this collective Smash community to stop giving Sabi and Vergeben the time of day for weeks, if not months since they've shown themselves to be unreliable people without any willingness to commit to much of anything. It has nothing to do with who Vergeben "disconfirmed" and I think a great deal of us pushing against him would proclaim the same thing. We're sick and tired of his bull**** and irrelevance to this whole process, and when he makes an absurdly long list of disconfirmations with nothing to back up anything alongside all of the other stuff. Yeah, that's make sense to see as a breaking point.
What I'm reading here is: guy verifiably has good sources for Smash, hasn't made any wrong calls but also no risky bets for a while, and I guess with the passage of time his sources just died or something?

Ok neat

D

Deleted member

you've all asked for it
you've all waited for it
fp5 is vergeben himself

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I'm still not going to go all in on Verge when he's been wrong before and more trustworthy people like Jon and Source Gaming are casting doubt.

Well Jon specified earlier he's not even an insider or hinting at anything. He's just saying what everybody in the room is thinking:

This **** is dumb.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Are you kidding me right now?
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Lighteni

Smash Journeyman
I mean, you don’t need to have insider information on character 5 to think Vergeben’s game of cat and mouse here is stupid and tiring.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Are you kidding me right now?
What? How does that post mean Sony is out? He's saying Cloud was on a Nintendo console.
Wait, Kat got into PSO2 a year ago, PSO2 got a Switch release, so that means that Kat...

*KatKit intensifies.*

Might actually have a chance of breaking into Smash just as she did PlayStation AllStars. Going by the logic of Cloud being in FFE.

Hoo boy.

(EDIT: Well, crud, forgot that this is already known. Letting the post stay though.)

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Chell would actually make a bit of sense. Portal was ridiculously huge when it released, I’d argue it overshadowed even Half Life 2 Episode 2 when it came out. It’s one of those games that brought casual audiences back into video games and defined a lot of the modern industry if I‘m to exaggerate a bit. Gordon is Valve’s icon, but the Portal Gun and Glados are probably just as iconic.
Portal's very iconic, but, like, how would it work? You can literally only do two things: shoot portal & pick up object. I don't doubt that they could make a character out of her, but it seems like it'd be very tough, especially given the nature of the way portals working. Letting a character teleport across the entire stage so long as they'd placed a portal would make them absolutely miserable to fight against, to say nothing of almost impossible to stop from timing out a match.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Part 2:

Morrigan, Toadette, Fio(driving an SV-001 Metal Slug), Nakoruru, Jill Valentine and Amaterasu deserve to be WAY higher on the list. Like, in the top 10.
Plz tell me Sami made it on there.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
I’m honestly surprised people aren’t talking about CommanderVideo as a potential indie. Seriously, he was the ONLY indie to get any sort of representation in Smash 4 and the Bit.Trip games were defining titles on WiiWare. Isn’t it a bit odd how he didn’t get a spirit this time around, anyway? Granted, he is technically an ArcSys character in Japan at least and is therefore disconfirmed if Verge is to be trusted, but it’s still odd to me that people are completely overlooking him.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Okay so maybe Plants vs. Zombies rep is actually coming?

I think it'll be Sunflower growing other plants for stage control. Crazy Dave could also do this.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Portal's very iconic, but, like, how would it work? You can literally only do two things: shoot portal & pick up object. I don't doubt that they could make a character out of her, but it seems like it'd be very tough, especially given the nature of the way portals working. Letting a character teleport across the entire stage so long as they'd placed a portal would make them absolutely miserable to fight against, to say nothing of almost impossible to stop from timing out a match.
She could summon other items form the portal games to assist like the turret, the discouragement beam, the high energy pellet and of course the Companion Cube. She could even use test room elements like the springboard as a recovery.

Lighteni

Smash Journeyman
Just off the top of my head, her down-special could be spawning a turret which fires bullets in a straight path, or her side-special could be launching gel to gain a movement advantage similar to the Inklings. I don’t want to be one of those people who says “moveset potential doesn’t matter Sakurai can give anybody a moveset”, but I certainly think that if Sakurai was really interested in putting Chell in he could come up with something interesting. And balanced, hopefully.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah, I'm still not going to go all in on Verge when he's been wrong before and more trustworthy people like Jon and Source Gaming are casting doubt.

Jon is still being vague if he disagrees with what Verge is saying or that his information is bogus.

If it is, Jon just needs to say it outright.

Hexodus

Smash Cadet
...Ok, so if the Verge deconfirm dump is real, and yes I know other insiders are questioning it, it's not like we have anything else to talk about...

How come Verge's list mentions that assists and spirits deconfirm, but doesn't mention mii costumes? That just seems like a really weird ommission, when all three together are basically The Unholy Trinity Of Hard Deconfirms By Nintendo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Even if it's mostly ****posting, I'm glad we're discussing more off the wall characters for once.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
...Ok, so if the Verge deconfirm dump is real, and yes I know other insiders are questioning it, it's not like we have anything else to talk about...

How come Verge's list mentions that assists and spirits deconfirm, but doesn't mention mii costumes? That just seems like a really weird commission, when all three together are basically The Unholy Trinity Of Hard Deconfirms By Nintendo.
Are there any Mii costumes that are not from the kill list companies?

Hexodus

Smash Cadet
Are there any Mii costumes that are not from the kill list companies?
As much as I'd rather he not be a fighter, and would rather have Frisk or Flowey as UT rep... Sans Undertale, I guess?

I don't know much about the rest of the costume characters, might be fun to compile a list.

Lighteni

Smash Journeyman
It’s gonna be a zombie. Not from any game in particular, just a composite of every single generic zombie enemy in video games, so we can get simultaneous Resident Evil, Minecraft, and Days Gone representation.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

How come Verge's list mentions that assists and spirits deconfirm, but doesn't mention mii costumes? That just seems like a really weird ommission, when all three together are basically The Unholy Trinity Of Hard Deconfirms By Nintendo.
Is there any Mii Costume that doesn't belong to one of the companies disconfirmed?

Hell, is there any base game Mii Costume that doesn't correspond to a Spirit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom