• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
As much as I want to believe Verge, I’m starting to have my doubts after seeing these posts.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MrNantendo/status/1203334245642592256
https://mobile.twitter.com/JonComms/status/1203347625396854794

To sum it up, these are the same people (from Source Gaming & Gamexplain) who were on Team Fake for the Grinch Leak from beginning to end.

I don’t know who to believe anymore, lol.
I mean, Verge and anyone not blinded by the appeal of Grinch was on team fake too

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
You forgot Gunvolt (IntiCreates)
Edited him in. There’s probably a lot of other good indie candidates I’m missing that I’m unaware of.

Also, even though Sans is a Mii costume, Frisk technically hasn’t been shot down yet by Verge. But I think all we’re getting for Toby Fox stuff in Ultimate is the Mii costume.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
The more I think about it the more I believe that either Sabi's or Verge's source(s) (or both) may think they know who the character is but have actually been fed incorrect information. We know for a fact that Nintendo sends out false info to their employees as leakbait to protect actual info. It would explain why Sabi/Verge have seemingly not always been on the same page with which things are disconfirmed; if their sources all had the same name for FP5 there should be no issues there.

Verge's kill list today seems very suspicious to me. If the source is worried about revealing themselves by leaking, it doesn't seem like the smartest move to let loose that much information. If the character truly isn't from any of those sources then someone knowing that would put nearly as much spotlight on them as just saying the name itself.

I'm not sure where the cracks in the armor are at, but I just have this notion that something is off somewhere in our line of leaks/speculation.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Why wouldn't we believe the guy who has been right about almost everything he's said? "Oh Vergeben hasn't been the first to claim anything for over a year!" So the guy only speaks when he's confident in something. How's that take away credibility?
Because you don't get credit in the leak game for backing up something after someone reputable has already said it. It takes zero commitment at that point (and something like confirming Terry after SNK is literally the most low stakes thing I've ever seen from both of them). Verge's credibility was dog**** outside of Smash to begin with. And now? He hasn't brought any new information to the table that does anything relevant. Verge was only credible when he was consistently getting things right in base Smash before other people. Since then, he's had his worse incident of being completely wrong about the February Direct and brought nothing to the table Smash wise in the DLC cycle besides Dragon Quest (which lots of additional evidence points to having been a much older decision than the rest).

"Right about almost everything he's said" is revisionist history about Verge's track record outside of Smash and does nothing to consider the circumstances of his current reputation and past year of it. His last call that meant anything at all was over a year ago. It's on Verge to prove he's worth listening to again, not us to just blindly follow him once again because he got something right a long time ago in the past for base game.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Every new prediction I make dies. First Doom Slayer, then Dark Souls, then Phoenix, now Arle is dead. I'm just gonna go lay down and let the storm take me until TGA and keep away from predicting Parappa or Hornet.
2d294c2a49d97c6a8fd9793f266dc96b395d4cbe_hq.gif

Gearbox isn't deconfirmed either :4pacman:

D

Deleted member

Every new prediction I make dies. First Doom Slayer, then Dark Souls, then Phoenix, now Arle is dead. I'm just gonna go lay down and let the storm take me until TGA and keep away from predicting Parappa or Hornet.
View attachment 250871
Gearbox isn't deconfirmed either :4pacman:
If we get Claptrap I'm selling my Switch out of pure disgust

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I mean, Verge and anyone not blinded by the appeal of Grinch was on team fake too
I worded my post incorrectly and chose poor wording.

What I meant to say was that I found it very odd that both of them would call out Verge and Sabi, as I always thought that they would be the type of people to side with them.

D

Deleted member

Honestly I believe what verge said because 5 is gonna be massive like Kratos for example.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I have a feeling Verge knows who the character is and that his info is correct, especially if we're getting a reveal sometime soon. People are hoping that he ends up wrong so their most-wanted still has a chance, even though there was never any rush for them to begin with.

But like I've been saying, I've kinda given up on Fighter #5 a long time ago. Most of my interest lies with Fighter #6 onward. I just want to see a few first-parties make the cut.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Assuming all disconfirmations are true, I'm gonna bet on Chell.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Honestly I believe what verge said because 5 is gonna be massive like Kratos for example.
Might want to lower your expectations. Been seeing a lot of people assume the best and say that this next character is a Sony rep, even though it's far from the last viable company not deconfirmed.

Personally, I'm taking this as a warning that Fighter #5 might not be the grand finale we were all hoping for.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I have a feeling Verge knows who the character is and that his info is correct, especially if we're getting a reveal sometime soon. People are hoping that he ends up wrong so their most-wanted still has a chance, even though there was never any rush for them to begin with.

But like I've been saying, I've kinda given up on Fighter #5 a long time ago. Most of my interest lies with Fighter #6 onward. I just want to see a few first-parties make the cut.
Honestly, if anything if FP5 is really a big, yet unexpected third party I'm still going to only see those characters joining the fray. Like, Sakurai wants this to be an official MUGEN more or less, so might as well go all out with it.

I'm saying this as someone who wants a first party. :x

CureParfait

Smash Ace
I think it might indicate a more left field type of choice than someone massive like Kratos. Tbh I feel like Kratos might end up on the chopping block.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Hi Smashboards, been following this thread for a long time now so thought I'd finally make an account to throw in my thoughts here. I'm a little shy but after these confirmations I thought I should join in at last.

So it seems in my view I think it's going to come down to very few series. A shame as I had my hopes for Sakura Shinguji or KOS-MOS.

About 6 possibilities I think.
1. Saber
2. Geralt
3. Sony Rep (Please be Kat, Please be Kat or even Kratos.)
4. A "Nintendo Backed" Indie Rep.
5. Rockstar
6. Idea Factory

My money is on Saber now but I'm really going to be disagreeing heavily on someone like a FNaF rep or Minecraft if those could be deconfirmed. I remember seeing a post about the former being it but it's clearly fake cause I know you guys would have speculated on it from the dime drop. (it was about two weeks ago)
In fact it was a dream about Freddy or Sam from Death Stranding being it that also made me post here,
Here's to the speculation and look forward to finally partaking in it.
Hi welcome to Smashboards. I was shy too when I first started following threads on Smashboards too, so I can relate. Also, Saber? Kat from Gravity Rush? I see your a person of culture.

kylexv

Smash Master
After all of this nonsense, this is honestly reminding me of the chaos that was the Grinch Leak (although not NEARLY as bad). But it's still tiring.

The Game Awards can't come any sooner. At least I have finals to distract me until then.

also Hat Kid is still alive

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Oh yeah I forgot to mention in my Sami ****poat that Verge still questioned second parties like IntSys/Monilith in his kill list.

So there might actually be some hope for Sami after all lmao.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Because you don't get credit in the leak game for backing up something after someone reputable has already said it. It takes zero commitment at that point (and something like confirming Terry after SNK is literally the most low stakes thing I've ever seen from both of them). Verge's credibility was dog**** outside of Smash to begin with. And now? He hasn't brought any new information to the table that does anything relevant. Verge was only credible when he was consistently getting things right in base Smash before other people. Since then, he's had his worse incident of being completely wrong about the February Direct and brought nothing to the table Smash wise in the DLC cycle besides Dragon Quest (which lots of additional evidence points to having been a much older decision than the rest).

"Right about almost everything he's said" is revisionist history about Verge's track record outside of Smash and does nothing to consider the circumstances of his current reputation and past year of it. His last call that meant anything at all was over a year ago. It's on Verge to prove he's worth listening to again, not us to just blindly follow him once again because he got something right a long time ago in the past for base game.
I'm not being revisionist, I just don't give two bagels about his track record outside of Smash. As far as I'm concerned, as a Smash leaker, the guy has shown himself trustworthy, and I don't see why the mere passage of time would have changed any of that.

That said, if you don't wanna believe him, no skin off my back, and TGA is this Thursday anyway. But the backlash when just yesterday everyone was looking at him for information reeks of hoping that their most wanted still has a shot, or alternatively sheer uncreativity to think of other characters aside from the ones we've been discussing for so long.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So what's the grand list of disconfirmations besides the ones listed in Verge's big post?

I remember Gordon Freeman and Scorpion but who are the others?

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Hi welcome to Smashboards. I was shy too when I first started following threads on Smashboards too, so I can relate. Also, Saber? Kat from Gravity Rush? I see your a person of culture.
Thank You. I'm not into Fate but I have always been a fan of the series character designs. Gravity Rush though I've been a massive fan of it since 2013 and the cover art holds a special place on my gaming wall.

Kat along with Kratos and Aloy I would love see being representation for PlayStation in Smash.
However I would personally go with Ico/Yorda or Wander if a moveset could be made for them. Fumito Ueda's works are so important to me as I use them as a reference of how to create anything, be it story or drawing.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
Guess who survived the Vergeben slaughter.
cavestory___quote_by_maniacpaint_d3cyzup-fullview.jpg

(Credit for this fanart goes to ManiacPaint on DeviantArt.)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Tbh I think people are grasping at straws because, now, the kill list finally took out their most wanted.

I mean, I myself am suspicious of this. I get a weird feeling something could be up. But I’m not going to be a conspiracy theorist necessarily and post essentially, “Here’s how Waluigi can still win”.

Take it for what it is, talk about it, and remember that we’ve got less than a week until it’s over.

Pepsi Man won, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom