• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Daedulus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Daedulustg
3DS FC
2380-8197-1533
Switch FC
SW-2767-1140-5910
And I'm gonna be stuck in comp science class, what are the odds.

Maybe I'll keep up with it as it goes on.
If you're using Windows 10, you can just hover your mouse over the chrome or internet explorer tab (don't click it) and if you have the stream loaded you watch it on the bottom half over your screen and if the prof. walks by, just click on your word doc or whatever.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Commonalities between Joker and Erdrick

- They come from third-party licenses with Japanese origins whose first episode was released on Nintendo before 1988.
- They come from third-party licenses with at least 24 different games (46 for Megami Tensei).
- They come from third-party licenses adapted in manga and animes.
- They come from third-party licenses where no character was been in the ballot for Smash4, nor existing forecasts in the Rate Their Chances thread for Smash 4.
> "Who never saw it coming forward", "new to the series", just like Joker from Persona 5" : "this gives you a flavor of how we are approaching the DLC." - Reggie
- They come from opus sold at least 2 million units.
- According to Famitsū, they are exactly the two representatives at the top of preferences in Japan.
- According Famitsū, they come from third-party licenses appearing at least 9 times in the preferences of Japanese by consoles.
Above them, there is only Mario (15 appearances) and Final Fantasy (17 appearances). Just below them, there is only Monster Hunter, Resident Evil and Sakura Wars, (6 appearances each, counting Project X Zone).
- They are RPG male human heroes.
This would leave little chance for a new RPG male human hero to occupy a 3rd slot.

Do you have other details ?

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
sorry lads

no pack 2 reveal

we only got a ever so slight preview of jokers design in smash and somewhere in april is when he'll pop out

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...Uh, this doesn't mean Erdrick can't be playable. It just means we don't have a leaker with credibility(for DLC at least) claiming him anymore.

He isn't gone. He's just not nearly as likely as he was before.

D

Deleted member

...Uh, this doesn't mean Erdrick can't be playable. It just means we don't have a leaker with credibility(for DLC at least) claiming him anymore.

He isn't gone. He's just not nearly as likely as he was before.
I would argue Tansut due to previously predicting Cloud, but we'll see soon I think.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I would argue Tansut due to previously predicting Cloud, but we'll see soon I think.
Ah, true. Verge just had a lot more things right overall, so it's easier for people to think of him.

My bad. Not that it means Tansut is definitely correct, but he is credible.

XigmunGothar

Smash Cadet
Given the development and release timing as well as Nintendo's tendency to use Smash to promote new titles.....

What is the chance that the fifth and final DLC fighter could be the protagonists from the newly revealed Astral Chain?

I'd certainly call it a possibility and they look like they could be really fun!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Given the development and release timing as well as Nintendo's tendency to use Smash to promote new titles.....

What is the chance that the fifth and final DLC fighter could be the protagonists from the newly revealed Astral Chain?

I'd certainly call it a possibility and they look like they could be really fun!
Dude if Spring Man and Rex couldn't get in due to bad timing. What makes you think someone from a yet to be released game has any chance?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So Miss Valenzuela tweeted a peculiarly cryptic tweet today.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
May mean nothing, may mean all, no telling what's going on.
Honestly, that sounds like the Olympics to me.

XigmunGothar

Smash Cadet
Dude if Spring Man and Rex couldn't get in due to bad timing. What makes you think someone from a yet to be released game has any chance?
...because the timing for Spring Man and Rex didn't suit the base roster, which was set back in 2015/2016. Nintendo picked the DLC characters and they were set in place only last November. Nintendo would be well aware of all the games they have coming in any upcoming fiscal year. Platinum Games could easily give Sakurai's team early access before August and the character could be ready by Feb 2020 (the end of the DLC cycle).

Not saying any of this is for sure possible or that Astral has a great chance; I'm simply posing the question whether of not it would be possible. I feel it is at least 25-40% possible.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...because the timing for Spring Man and Rex didn't suit the base roster, which was set back in 2015/2016. Nintendo picked the DLC characters and they were set in place only last November. Nintendo would be well aware of all the games they have coming in any upcoming fiscal year. Platinum Games could easily give Sakurai's team early access before August and the character could be ready by Feb 2020 (the end of the DLC cycle).

Not saying any of this is for sure possible or that Astral has a great chance; I'm simply posing the question whether of not it would be possible. I feel it is at least 25-40% possible.
To be fair, we literally only got 2 characters out of over 70 that were due to this situation, Roy and Corrin.

So while it could happen, it's hardly a trend and really really rare. I could see it happening, though. And considering every character has stuff going for them beyond "from a new game", I am not too worried.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138

The first thing I wondered when seeing that game was "So why no Nier Automata?"
Because with this, my hope for that has depleted.
No 2B in smash.
So I'll settle for the Astral Chains

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The first thing I wondered when seeing that game was "So why no Nier Automata?"
Because with this, my hope for that has depleted.
No 2B in smash.
So I'll settle for the Astral Chains

ASTRAL CHAIN COPS FOR SMASH.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I don't know if anyone from a Nintendo franchise THAT new and untested would be immortalised in Smash so soon, ya know?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Something about the Palutena Guidances statement still has me thinking

They only said “no guidances for 5 DLC characters”, not “no guidances for the 5 DLC characters”. To me it suggests they’ll only just maybe...not do guidances for any five specific characters? Plus with how well Ultimate and the switch have been doing, and hopefully that the season pass does well too, there could be another pass...? Not doing it would be business suicide.

That, or from that point onward characters may be released sans a pass.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Something about the Palutena Guidances statement still has me thinking

They only said “no guidances for 5 DLC characters”, not “no guidances for the 5 DLC characters”. To me it suggests they’ll only just maybe...not do guidances for any five specific characters? Plus with how well Ultimate and the switch have been doing, and hopefully that the season pass does well too, there could be another pass...? Not doing it would be business suicide.

That, or from that point onward characters may be released sans a pass.
... just take it at face value.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Plus with how well Ultimate and the switch have been doing, and hopefully that the season pass does well too, there could be another pass...? Not doing it would be business suicide.
Sakurai said that the number of 12 for new (non-Echo) fighters was ideal for every new Smash Bros.

D

Deleted member

Plus with how well Ultimate and the switch have been doing, and hopefully that the season pass does well too, there could be another pass...? Not doing it would be business suicide.
"Business suicide" implies they would fail to make money.
....I'd say they've already made PLENTY of money and will do so with the Fighters Pass already planned to the point it literally doesn't matter whether they stop producing content or not once the set plan is finished.

Because by your logic they should never stop making more DLC because doing so would absolutely kill their business and make Smash Ultimate a commercial failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom