• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
The unexpected was Namco getting deconfirmed. Now I'm just betting on what I know.
How well has that worked out for you in the history of Smash? Just because one unexpected thing happened doesn't mean another can't be right behind it.

For you and everyone else (especially those already celebrating Phoenix), don't fall into the same speculation trap everyone falls in. Don't count your eggs before they hatch. This speculation cycle has been a wild ass ride and it's only going to be wilder from here on out.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Oh man, there goes KOS-MOS, for now anyways. At the forefront (just to name a few)is Sakura, Phoenix Wright, and Am- wait hold on a second...
Objection!!! In your haste, you have overlooked some substantial evidence Mr. Wright (or should I say Mr. Wrong). You still have one Capcom competitior to overcome, Amaterasu.

Don't go giving yourself the gold just yet, or you may just find yourself... Overruled.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Objection!!! In your haste, you have overlooked some substantial evidence Mr. Wright (or should I say Mr. Wrong). You still have one Capcom competitior to overcome, Amaterasu.

Don't go giving yourself the gold just yet, or you may just find yourself... Overruled.
bubble-objection.gif

phoenix-pointing(a).gif

I refute your point, because...

...Shut up.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Speaking of Sakura Wars, can someone give me a brief rundown about the series and who Sakura is, as I'm not very familiar with the character and series? Heard she is a potential dark horse for the FP #5 spot.
Check the fan group. https://smashboards.com/threads/att...hinguji-for-smash-switch.446393/post-21688494

From wikipedia
Sakura Wars[a] is a cross-genre video game developed by Sega and Red Company, and published by Sega in 1996. It is the first game in Sega's Sakura Wars series, created by Oji Hiroi. Originally released for the Sega Saturn, it was later ported to other systems including the Dreamcast, and remade for the PlayStation 2 subtitled In Hot Blood. Defined by Sega as a "dramatic adventure" game, Sakura Warscombines overlapping tactical role-playing, dating sim and visual novel gameplay elements.
Legacy
Sakura Wars was an unexpected success for both Red Company and Sega, prompting the companies to develop further entries in the series. It spawned three direct sequels; Sakura Wars 2: Thou Shalt Not Die for the Saturn, and Sakura Wars 3: Is Paris Burning? and Sakura Wars 4: Fall in Love, Maidens for the Dreamcast.[3][15][97][121] A fourth sequel was developed for the PlayStation 2; known as Sakura Wars V: Farewell My Lovely in Japan, it was published overseas as Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love, becoming the first entry to release outside Japan.[3][97] Numerous spin-off titles covering multiple genres related to each entry have also been developed for multiple platforms.[3][127]

Sakura Wars has remained popular in Japan since its release. It was rated as the 13th best game of all time in a 2006 Famitsu pole, with all the main entries then released also appearing in the list.[128] Sakura herself was rated in 2009 by Famitsu as the 17th best Japanese video game character.[129] Sakura Wars and its first sequel were both ranked among the ten most memorable games for the Saturn, while the Dreamcast port of Sakura Wars was also ranked among the most memorable for that platform.[130]Characters from Sakura Wars, Sakura Wars 3 and Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love were included as playable characters in the 2012 Nintendo 3DScrossover title Project X Zone and its 2015 sequel.[131][132]
The new game switched genre so check out a video.

The more you know. :happysheep:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If Vergeburger's next victim is Capcom, then everyone will go stir crazy as to who could possibly be FP5.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I like how a day after a full Tales deconfirmation, we get "by the way, EVERYONE from this company is out".

Who's still in the running? Capcom, Arcsys, Spike Chunsoft, Zun?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So... uh, Fighter 5 might be Sora...

Holy ****.

Droodle

Smash Lord
This is honestly my guess at this point. He's one of the most likely Nintendo candidates in a vacuum and easily brings along the new stage, spirits, and music necessary to have a full pack. Plus, most of the competition is either dead in the water (Namco, Ubisoft, Sega and Square if you don't believe in double dipping in the Fighter's Pass), harmed from having major options deconfirmed (Capcom and Bethasda), or are a long shot (Arc System Works, Sony).

Koei could happen, but losing Ryu Hayabusa as an option really hurts them. You'd figured they'd want to go for their mascot as their first pick, but weirder things have happened.
I've been saying this from the beginning, but I always thought Dovahkiin had a better chance then Doomguy to be honest. I never got why Doomguy was so far ahead of Dovahkiin in terms of Smash speculation.

Also, I guess dark souls is also deconfirmed.

I think we'll still end off with a 3rd party character so...

-Phoenix Wright
-Dovahkiin
-Sora

Seem like they're the frontrunners now. I'd be happy with any of them, and all of them are great characters in their own way.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If Vergeburger's next victim is Capcom, then everyone will go stir crazy as to who could possibly be FP5.
Even better: Verge just straight up says “you’ve been digging in the wrong places, it’s a Nintendo character bros”

D

Deleted member

How well has that worked out for you in the history of Smash? Just because one unexpected thing happened doesn't mean another can't be right behind it.

For you and everyone else (especially those already celebrating Phoenix), don't fall into the same speculation trap everyone falls in. Don't count your eggs before they hatch. This speculation cycle has been a wild ass ride and it's only going to be wilder from here on out.
I mean I've already reached my speculation endgame so I'm just here for the fun of it. I may be pulling for Phoenix but if I'm wrong oh well, no skin off my back

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Namco's out huh? If Capcom somehow gets shot down then things will get very, very hectic.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Sorry but I don't want Sora. I don't want that mega corporation's tentacles that licks the boots of the Chinese government anywhere near Smash.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
With all the deconfirmations, the only character remaining is the fish-thing from "Live Wire!"

Jokes aside, I'm still hoping for a Nintendo character, as unlikely as it is (possibly one of my wanted).

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
Well, that kills the Kos-mos leaks. Reimu can still be on the table due to the music leak but if she doesn’t make it in as 5, pretty much means that was a fake leak too since Nintendo wouldn’t reach out to artists a year+ in advance for music tracks IMO. I’m starting to lean heavy into Sora or Sakurai breaking his one rule since this is his last Smash game and this was intended to be the last character at one point (Goku).

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, speculation about a Nintendo fighter is not usual lately, a Three Houses someone could happen, surprise attack when we are looking for third parties, which is not a rule.
Probably we are understimating a Nintendo character for #5.
Personally I see a 3 Houses rep in the next DLC wave more likely.

Gold Lannister

Smash Cadet
Reggie has already said that the characters in this fighter pass will come from brand new franchises in the SSBU universe.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Woah. I'm pretty shocked Bamco got killed off. My gut was definitely wrong in that case. Let's go Phoenix, 2B, or Sora. I'd pop off for any of them.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Wait a minute. The fighter organization is extremely mixed up with these leakers. How in the **** do we know if Verge’s source isn’t looking at a different character than Sabi’s? I don’t think Namco is going to allow insiders to have any truly accurate information whether or not it’s their fighter. What it does mean is that they can mix up the supposed list of fighters and I actually think that’s why Verge mistakes Hero as the first fighter for the pass.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sorry but I don't want Sora. I don't want that mega corporation's tentacles that licks the boots of the Chinese government anywhere near Smash.
Just the mega corporation partnering with Tencent to provide this very product in China, then?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
You mean the mega corporation that bring it's console in China?
Or the mega corporation that bring it's movies in china?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Reggie has already said that the characters in this fighter pass will come from brand new franchises in the SSBU universe.
Yeah, and 90% of the frontrunners we have left are new franchises.

Special note goes to Kingdom Hearts and Ace Attorney, both of whom have literally 0 representation of any kind in Smash, despite their parent companies being involved, with many of their other IPs getting in as Spirits and/or songs.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
But Blizzard’s been confirmed to not touch Smash with a ten foot pole

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Well that took a sudden turn - No Bandai-Namco or Level-5 Character as Fighter 5. Damn it vergeben, way to crash my hopes it'd be KOS-MOS.

But if this means a certain lawyer is Fighter 5...
smallprice_objection.jpg

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
Sora's chance is growing..sooooo i feel like saying i really hope it will be him now :D
i have a good feeling about this 1..please let my feeling be right!

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
So, let's see who's still in the running, in no particular order:
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Sol Badguy
  • Sakura (Sakura Wars)
  • Sora
  • Edelgard or Byleth
  • Reimu
  • Dovahkin
  • Ameterasu
  • Pepsiman