• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
The point of contention with me and that whole thread last night was basically me being bothered by the absolutism surrounding it all. The "KOS-MOS and Reimu are DEFINITELY not happening" assertions (assertions that NO other insider/leak have said publicly), which I'm confused by if we're not supposed to take it as 100%. I don't really want to bring it up in there anymore as I've made peace with the thread after a terrible first impression, but it's still something I'm struggling to understand.
No, he just insulted them and doesn't know anything.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
The point of contention with me and that whole thread last night was basically me being bothered by the absolutism surrounding it all. The "KOS-MOS and Reimu are DEFINITELY not happening" assertions (assertions that NO other insider/leak have said publicly), which I'm confused by if we're not supposed to take it as 100%. I don't really want to bring it up in there anymore as I've made peace with the thread after a terrible first impression, but it's still something I'm struggling to understand.
When they first popped up, his first reaction was "They are something that /v/ is trying to will into existence". It's clear he personally doesn't like them, whether the leaks are true or not.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I'm too lazy for part 5 of that Fatman parody ATM, but y'all are providing me with good source material.

Adding some of these quotes to the storyline. The 'dog at the table' one seems like typical Bane banter. Pleasing fanatics effortlessly is also good stuff. Carry on.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Oh, yeah, that’s true. Honestly, despite what Fatman has said, some users do seem to take what he says as nearly gospel I guess, but to be fair, some people spread misinfo about him, or seem to press him for info kinda rudely, so it could just be them tryin’ to help defend him I suppose.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I think a Soulcalibur character (whether it's Nightmare, Sophitia, Yoshimitsu, or someone else) is generally likely, but you know what would make it even more likely?

The announcement of Soulcalibur VI getting a Switch port with its own system-exclusive character. If that gets announced at the Game Awards, I could see the reveal of a Soulcalibur character in Smash coming not too far behind.
While probably everyone and their dogs would scream Link as the "exclusive" character, I think that a fire emblem character with fire emblem themed pieces and costumes would be very interesting ... Aaand also, might not be as exclusive considering that Nintendo doesn't has too much problem putting fire emblem stuff outside of Nintendo consoles (mobile, cards) while zElda generally is very exclusive to the consoles.

And if it's not exclusive, it means it won't be instantly banned on competitive soul Calibur

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Speaking of Yakuza, I wonder if there's ever a chance to get a game on Nintendo consoles in the future. Something like Yakuza 0.

is nintendo scared of yakuza or something?

cosmicB

Smash Ace
When they first popped up, his first reaction was "They are something that /v/ is trying to will into existence". It's clear he personally doesn't like them, whether the leaks are true or not.
IIRC, his final assessment with that was he "hasn't heard anything" when he said the /v/ thing. That's very different from "these characters definitely aren't getting in".

But at the same time, that the discord is rife with "haha, your waifu-tier weeb characters aren't getting in" from supposedly people in the know just has me scratching my head. Like are there levels to this? Because clearly Fatman isn't the only one on the same "insider level" as other people in that discord who know less than Sabi but still hear rumors and stuff. And in that case, is it just that the higher-ups in those channels keep their mouths shut even if the popular discourse ends up being condescension over characters people want when said characters are actually likely to be coming?

BlackInk

Smash Lord
He ****ing said that?! My lungs! Fatman shot my lungs!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Much of the Geno thread thinks Fatman more credible than he is, and he often tries to tie all his speculating to Geno. A combination that quickly leads to reverence.

But it's a bit much for meeee.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Kind of a crazy turn of events.

I go from being on top of the world, thinking Resi was in. Get crushed by a random spirit event. Get down in the dumps.

As things get juicy, I develop an interest in Ace Attorney and see a sale from GameStop of the physical copies, and have had an interest in playing the Ace Attorney games.

Now, despite all this, I am rooting for Phoenix Wright, a protagonist from a game I’ve never played, a character that I used to not want because it went against my most wanted, and one that I thought was a never ever.

I love Smash Bros. I hope it’s Phoenix for the people who I gave ****, and who ANYBODY gave ****.

I mean, there are plenty of characters I’d be happy with, but Phoenix Wright would be cool for the broskies that haven’t gotten there yet.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
I've also posted in the Geno thread a few times before, and my last experience wasn't pretty. I just think it's best to leave them be. But that's pretty unfortunate if that's how they treated Reimu over there. Absolutely no one predicted Joker, and Terry wasn't even on the table until Nintendo's slip up. I won't go as far as to say Fatman is full of ****, but it's obvious his personal bias clouds his judgement.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I have no idea why people in the Geno thread seem to worship and trust him as much as they do. The dude barely has to touch his keyboard and his post has 20+ likes.
Because he's part of a private Discord with Sabi's source. That's it. The guy never really "leaked" anything outside of the famous starling picture that nobody knows (and probably never will) what it means. And with all due respect, I sometimes feel like both the Geno thread and himself get too overconfident for that.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Speaking of Yakuza, I wonder if there's ever a chance to get a game on Nintendo consoles in the future. Something like Yakuza 0.

is nintendo scared of yakuza or something?
The WiiU got the first 2 for some bizzare reason

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Kind of a crazy turn of events.

I go from being on top of the world, thinking Resi was in. Get crushed by a random spirit event. Get down in the dumps.

As things get juicy, I develop an interest in Ace Attorney and see a sale from GameStop of the physical copies, and have had an interest in playing the Ace Attorney games.

Now, despite all this, I am rooting for Phoenix Wright, a protagonist from a game I’ve never played, a character that I used to not want because it went against my most wanted, and one that I thought was a never ever.

I love Smash Bros. I hope it’s Phoenix for the people who I gave ****, and who ANYBODY gave ****.

I mean, there are plenty of characters I’d be happy with, but Phoenix Wright would be cool for the broskies that haven’t gotten there yet.
This feels a **** post from 4chan.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
For some idea the idea of "Waluigi Syrup" popped into my head, and now I need to share my cursed knowledge with the world.
waluigisyrup.png

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
IIRC, his final assessment with that was he "hasn't heard anything" when he said the /v/ thing. That's very different from "these characters definitely aren't getting in".

But at the same time, that the discord is rife with "haha, your waifu-tier weeb characters aren't getting in" from supposedly people in the know just has me scratching my head. Like are there levels to this? Because clearly Fatman isn't the only one on the same "insider level" as other people in that discord who know less than Sabi but still hear rumors and stuff. And in that case, is it just that the higher-ups in those channels keep their mouths shut even if the popular discourse ends up being condescension over characters people want when said characters are actually likely to be coming?
The irony though is that.... Sabi uses a picture of Rei Ayanami from Evangelion. Wouldn't she be considered lowly waifu trash?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Fatman may have been rude about Reimu, but idk, based on how he’s said other things it’s probably just his way of describing 4chan’s Reimu posts combined with insiders not hearing her I guess, though she could still get in imo. I think she’s cool.
I don’t like picking things apart with buzzwords or things that mean nothing. Even the geno comment was a commentary about the current state of the geno thread, which was pretty damn awful. Being ridiculously bias towards Fatman is honestly pissing me the **** off. They’re not supporters for a character, they’re a cult.
I don’t know how to take it, but not everyone in there is rude, just some can be rude if they take something as something offensive. They can be a bit much, though, I guess.

And, that post of yours wasn’t the only one I was referring to.

Last edited:

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
I have been lurking here for a while, reading about all the leaks and speculation. I decided to make an account as there is an aspect of this character pass that I don't see brought up often when discussing potential characters.

These five fighters were planned to be the last five characters for Ultimate. I'm sure there was internal discussion about doing additional DLC should this batch sell well, but that was never a guarantee. Now with these being the only characters and this potentially being the last Smash game Sakurai works on (there have been some rumblings about this, depending on how long it is until they start development of the next one), I think this may inform us of what to expect from the last fighter.

Now, I should note that the fifth fighter we are getting may not have been originally planned as the last character of the pass. There is a reasonable rumor that Hero was going to be the first character released but Joker was chosen to be revealed at the last minute for the VGA. So it's possible that someone like Terry was going to be the last character, but for one reason or another they were shifted forward. I've also heard that more DLC was decided following E3, so there may have been time to change the schedule with FP5 and a post pass character. But since we cannot know this I'm going to operate under the assumption that FP5 was always going to be the last Ultimate character.

What does that tell us about the nature of the character? Honestly, nothing. We don't know for sure what the thought process behind character inclusions is. However, I would posit that we can make educated guesses about it. Joker and Terry seem to be "Sakurai picks". They are relatively niche and without much linking them to Smash, but Sakurai is a huge personal fan of the games/characters. Hero is in a weird place where Sakurai likes the series but it is also a massive deal for being the grandaddy JRPG. Banjo, on the other hand, seems to be a pick made for the fan requests.

The sample size of DLC in the pass is so small that there is no pattern to be made out, but if I had to make a guess it would be that FP5 is going to be another "Sakurai pick". If it truly would be the last fighter that he ever put into Smash, why not make it a special pick. I think that means a "hype" character is unlikely and whoever it is will end up being viewed as niche. I really have no idea who it might be; Sakurai loves many games after all. But this is where my thoughts lead me currently.

I may be completely wrong about what kind of character would be selected for the last character, but I think the context of it being the last DLC for Ultimate should not be ignored.

Plank08

Smash Lord
It kinda disappoints me how KOS-MOS is a reasonable Bamco rep now that Lloyd's out and yet everyone is now thinking Nightmare or Heihachi or stuff. While I do admire his presence due to my FGC nature, you do know my wants...female characters. It seems the thread really has a bias for males, though it seems like it really is the reality of this community.

In my opinion, KOS-MOS is inevitable at best and very likely at worst. Just try to keep the discussion going, we might get her soon.
How many times do I have to repeat myself with this Female thing

Also guys be prepared for my completely finished, most realistic as of NOV 2019 roster, with an analysis

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Can the Switch even run Yakuza kiwami 2? That game looks too powerful.
Yakuza Kiwami 2 was so powerful they had to make it 30 fps on the PS4 due to how taxing it was.

I somehow doubt the Switch will be able to power through something the PS4 couldn't.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Who isn’t a fighter?
Andy, the main protag of Advance Wars.

It wasn't likely he was getting in the FP but maybe there's hope for him post-pass. He's kinda a Hayabusa situation, a character not well known but with a very unique, fun moveset to bring and a series very important to Nintendo's history. So i'm keeping a bit of hope for him.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I'm totally OK with Nightmare or another SC character getting into Smash. Also, it's totally possible to have two fighting game characters in a row, as we had two RPG characters in sequence before. Let's analyze the genres:

Joker (Role-playing, social simulation)
Hero (Role-playing)
Banjo-Kazooie (Platforming, action-adventure)
Terry (Fighting game)
Fighter #5 (???)

Honestly, the lack of characters from FPS's in smash annoys me. Do you think they'll add a character from another genre this time around? Let's discuss genres.
Besides staning for cool knight dudes, I'm a big fan of adventure games particularity ones that got world famous on the Nintendo DS.

Phoenix is Visual Novel, and Professor Layton is Puzzle adventure.

Attachments

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Who works on Yakuza other than SEGA?

Yakuza 0 at least, man, it's a good ass game.
No one else, I think. It's just that the developers at SEGA working on the Yakuza series think that the series wouldn't gel with the Switch's audience, which they based entirely on the Yakuza Wii U ports not doing well... even though the Switch is now way more successful than the Wii U, meaning a Yakuza Switch port would already do way better than the Wii U ports did.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Well ok then. Judging by the posts from this afternoon looks like I missed out on a banner day in here.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Why would they copyright something like this though?
Beats me. I was wondering if any of you guys knew about this and whether it has an effect on anything Tales related coming to Smash bros.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I have no idea why people in the Geno thread seem to worship and trust him as much as they do. The dude barely has to touch his keyboard and his post has 20+ likes.
As someone that's new here, the Geno thread in general is kind of bizarre to me. It seems to be a defacto secondary overall speculation thread and is never on topic. Fatman clearly has some inside information, but he doesn't post anywhere else. Maybe this is something I'd better understand if I was here longer, but it almost seems like a cult of personality has formed behind both a poster and a character while the character itself is simultaneously a secondary point of discussion. It's a bit weird coming from other forums I guess.

The irony though is that.... Sabi uses a picture of Rei Ayanami from Evangelion. Wouldn't she be considered lowly waifu trash?
I mean that's the thing. Apparently the Sabi discord is nonstop ripping on "weeb picks", yet Sabi him/herself doesn't seem to be outside that scene themselves. Praising Reimu on Twitter, Using Rei as their avatar, referencing Danganronpa of all things. Like is that just their public face and then they just go back in their private discord to make fun of "all the weebs that follow me" or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom