• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 248532
We should investigate if this guy has any credibility when it comes to leaking in general or in Smash specifically before making any judgement. Seeing as we’ve been tricked with fake Discord screenshots already, I’m suspecting this is bunk.
I think we'll wait until someone like Sabi and Verge say something about this. It depends on if this French journalist is making up stuff but based on what I've seen earlier it might be a ruse. Also I remember a French journalist or someone else claim Shigeru Miyamoto would make an appearance at Microsoft's E3 a couple days before Hero and Banjo's reveal, but it didn't happen.
So, anything New? Has Sabi deconfirmed Lloyd?
Other than Phoenix Wright rumors, nothing new. No news on Lloyd yet.
Gonna be real silly if FP5 is another Atlus character, but it’s still not a mainline SMT character.
Watch FP5 be a character from Snowboard Kids

754085-snowboard_kids_2_screenshot.png

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'll only be fine with Samurai adding obscure nobodies when he finally decides to please the masses by giving us Geno.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
funny how we're throwing all these characters around as likely but no-one was even close to guessing SNK last time until nintendo themselves leaked it

makes you wonder what crazy left-field **** sakurai actually has planned while we're talking about capcom and namco

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
funny how we're throwing all these characters around as likely but no-one was even close to guessing SNK last time until nintendo themselves leaked it

makes you wonder what crazy left-field **** sakurai actually has planned while we're talking about capcom and namco
An Sony rep.

Its Kratos' (And Atreus') time.

SKX31

Smash Master

*Realizes Zhao Yun and other Dynasty Warriors characters are still not de-confirmed, and would be prime material if they are indeed planning a reveal in China (with a worldwide mirror) for either FP5 or Post-Pass.*

Crud, I jinxed it right?

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
So basically as long as the Magnum or a shotgun doesn't OHKO or put into crumple it's good?
I would imagine as long as it's not a realistic or excessive (so no blood or dismemberment, not drawn) out it's probably fine. Clearly, just including firearms isn't enough to get a game a T+ rating.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

TMW the answer was right in front of us this whole time:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I was curious, so I checked the age rating of Bayonetta and Metal Gear based on CERO.

From what I’ve found, Bayonetta was the equivalent of an ESRB Mature, which in CERO is “D”. Metal Gear Solid was rated 15+ apparently from CERO.

Might look into Persona 5 next. But comparatively, Resident Evil is rated M by ESRB, Adult by CERO.

I wonder what the actual difference is. Like, maybe the grotesque monsters? A Licker literally has an exposed brain and muscles, most monsters are covered in blood, all that Jazz.

Have to wonder if adding a character from an Adult rated game would immediately mess up the rating.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I was curious, so I checked the age rating of Bayonetta and Metal Gear based on CERO.

From what I’ve found, Bayonetta was the equivalent of an ESRB Mature, which in CERO is “D”. Metal Gear Solid was rated 15+ apparently from CERO.

Might look into Persona 5 next. But comparatively, Resident Evil is rated M by ESRB, Adult by CERO.

I wonder what the actual difference is. Like, maybe the grotesque monsters? A Licker literally has an exposed brain and muscles, most monsters are covered in blood, all that Jazz.

Have to wonder if adding a character from an Adult rated game would immediately mess up the rating.
CERO generally has a distaste for gore from what I can tell as seen with God of War getting censored over there

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Clearly we are getting a Natsume rep, their the most slept on company in the speculation community yet.

In other words, he's in!

IYG7hOg.png

If only.... :urg:

osby

Smash Obsessed

Persona 5 is rated "C" in Japan, or for ages 15 and up. Apparently, it's because of sexuality, violence, drugs, crime, and language.

It's rated higher by ESBR: Mature (17+)

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

Resident Evil 2 Remake had two versions released in japan. The standard D version which is the equivalent of the M rating of the ESRB, and the Z version which is the Adult version and the one we received in the West. The differences are mostly related to the gore of the monsters themselves, the guns aren't the main cause and are not different in both versions. Considering RE characters appeared in crossovers without jacking up the rating I don't think guns are a problem, it's the gory zombies. Zombies could easily be censored for Smash just like how it happened in Marvel vs Capcom, maybe they might turn the blood to green like they used to.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

The only thing I can think of that would be out of left field would be to use a Level 5 character.
c2jlAvM1_400x400.jpg

Sakurai-San pls.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Persona 5 is rated "C" in Japan, or for ages 15 and up. Apparently, it's because of sexuality, violence, drugs, crime, and language.

p5's ratings are the least consistent things in the world

CERO says both P5 and P5R are 15+
ESRB says both P5 and P5R are 17+
PEGI says P5 is a 15+ and P5R is an 18+

make your minds up guys

SKX31

Smash Master
p5's ratings are the least consistent things in the world

CERO says both P5 and P5R are 15+
ESRB says both P5 and P5R are 17+
PEGI says P5 is a 15+ and P5R is an 18+

make your minds up guys
Do you have the Australian rating too? That one would be really interesting since its ratings board is conservative like CERO and trigger happy.

I'd probably guess the zombies and Sakurai not being interested in recreating the MVC 3 movesets (for either the RE characters or Frank West). He'd had to come up with a more realistic moveset, which might hint at wounds (Bandages.) or such. I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai got stuck with RE, since IIRC he wants to have the characters dance in his head so he's sure they'll work.

I don't blame Sakurai for taking the safer route regardless, even if it sucks. Chancing a up-rate would not sit well with manufacturers and stores who have to go back on a finished product they're making / selling to redo even a small part of it. I don't think it'd sit well with Moral Guardian parents ether if they hear their kids' games just got edgier.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
franktweet.PNG

If he was lying, he wasn't necessarily breaking NDA as NDAs don't generally cover misinforming the public through deception and outright lying.

If he wasn't lying...
1) "When I meant dlc, I meant Fighter Pass! I couldn't check other dlc after that!"
2) "I said I checked dlc, but couldn't find Chief. Also, I didn't say I cracked Fighter Pass to confirm my statement!"
3) He's telling the truth, or at least a half-truth. Maybe Chief might be in and he simply doesn't know about it, as this decision wouldn't be up to him.

Grant Kirkhope didn't know about Banjo in Smash until January of this year. He had assumed it was going to be a Raving Rabbid or something.

Or maybe he was just being coy and speaking i the present tense, like "[At the time of this tweet], Master Chief is not in Smash."

There's also a curious typo in the tweet. "Master Chief is not is Smash DLC. Although I did just download Smash." Could be nothing, or...

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
CERO generally has a distaste for gore from what I can tell as seen with God of War getting censored over there

Resident Evil 2 Remake had two versions released in japan. The standard D version which is the equivalent of the M rating of the ESRB, and the Z version which is the Adult version and the one we received in the West. The differences are mostly related to the gore of the monsters themselves, the guns aren't the main cause and are not different in both versions. Considering RE characters appeared in crossovers without jacking up the rating I don't think guns are a problem, it's the gory zombies. Zombies could easily be censored for Smash just like how it happened in Marvel vs Capcom, maybe they might turn the blood to green like they used to.

Thanks for the information, my dudes.

So then...guns aren’t the problem. Gore can be censored a certain way and is just as present in Bayonetta.

Maybe...hm. Y’all know I’m in the camp that Spirits are a disconfirmation. But humor this: Might the spirits have been added because they weren’t fighter 5, and Sakurai/dev team wanted them represented in some form? This was prior to the second wave being decided, and therefore wouldn’t have the opportunity to consider Resident Evil for playable candidacy.

Eh, it’s easier for me/my heart to assume they’re dead and gone (heh). But I just find the whole thing interesting. Make Spirits for one of the highest earning Japanese-created series ever, likely because other picks were made, but then it turns out it wasn’t the rating of the source material that kept them out, nor the guns...

Really curious to see if Sakurai says anything about it. That’s really all I can say at this point.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Do you have the Australian rating too? That one would be really interesting since its ratings board is conservative like CERO and trigger happy.
P5 is 15+ in australia and from what i can gather P5R is most likely an 18+

so same as pegi surprisngly

D

Deleted member

Hate to break it to ya, but with how this Fighter Pass is going, I think you're gonna have to wait until AFTER the 5th fighter on the pass goes through before hope for spirited characters reignites.
I already know they won’t be in the pass but the thing that bugs me is that the'll keep saying it after the pass

osby

Smash Obsessed
P5 is 15+ in australia and from what i can gather P5R is most likely an 18+

so same as pegi surprisngly
I wonder why Royal is rated higher in some places. Yeah, some of the new content is quite heavy but I can't think up anything worse than the original game.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I already know they won’t be in the pass but the thing that bugs me is that the'll keep saying it after the pass
Well, yeah...

It's fair for most people to assume that spirit upgrades aren't happening until solid evidence turns up suggesting the contrary.

Geno would fit both categories, doesn't he?
That's the joke.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I wonder why Royal is rated higher in some places. Yeah, some of the new content is quite heavy but I can't think up anything worse than the original game.
rated A for Absolute bangers

but i'd say it's probably a combination of some of the content in the new cutscenes + the additions made to certain early game dungeons

Calamitas

Smash Champion

Maybe the most outlandish concept of them all.

A first-party character.

TMW the answer was right in front of us this whole time:

Is this the music used for the trailer, then?

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
I've recently seen gameplay of Sol Badguy to get an idea of how he could work in Smash (since I've seen a mention or two of him being possibly in), and I think he could make a cool addition to the roster. "Ride the Fire" or bust.

Now that I said it, he and Arc System Works as a whole will probably be added onto the deconfirmed list amongst others.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Aight, so here’s what I’m thinking.

Nearly every major 3rd party gaming company that has a shot in Smash gets shot down.

Even Nintendo isn’t it, so we can say goodbye to any chance of playable Gooigi, otherwise known as “Moist Green Mario”.

I’ve got it. I know who it is.

It’s
AF31B08C-1D6E-4EE5-A05A-716428AF495A.png

D

Deleted member

Nearly every major 3rd party gaming company that has a shot in Smash gets shot down.

Even Nintendo isn’t it, so we can say goodbye to any chance of playable Gooigi, otherwise known as “Moist Green Mario”.

It’s
Captain falcons echo fighter?

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman

It’s
PEPSI MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!
FINALLY.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

It’s
reminder that back when smash 64 was still in it's dragon king phase, it was nicknamed "pepsiman"

we've gone full circle

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I've recently seen gameplay of Sol Badguy to get an idea of how he could work in Smash (since I've seen a mention or two of him being possibly in), and I think he could make a cool addition to the roster. "Ride the Fire" or bust.

Now that I said it, he and Arc System Works as a whole will probably be added onto the deconfirmed list amongst others.
Let's rock!
sol-glowred.gif

We're still alive so far, just like how Sol is alive despite killing his past self

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

It’s
His final smash is turning the opponents' entire family and food supply into Pepsi.

SKX31

Smash Master

It’s
Especially if we get the remix comboing it with my favorite Wonky-but-Entertaining-Movie from the same decade:

When you select him, he materializes in the real world and kicks you to kingdom come for not playing the game on Sega Saturn.
Especially since he taunted Lucina and Chrom about not playing on Classic mode.

And both of them reacted with fear just by his words alone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom