• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
RTC thought Terry and Erdrick weren't gonna happen so who cares
TBF, most of the fanbase was in denial over Hero (since Banjo wasn't in yet), and almost no one thought Terry would happen until that SNK leak blindsided everyone.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
RTC thought Terry and Erdrick weren't gonna happen so who cares
RTC gave a lot of low scores to characters who actually ended up happening, to my knowledge.

which means the chronically low scores for phoenix work in his favor

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Even if Vergeben deconfirmed Falcom for Fighter Pack 5, I think a Falcom character will happen sooner or later. Adol Christin and Estelle Bright would both be real cool to see, and the former has a huge legacy spanning over 30 years.

If Adol does get in, then I think he'll continue what The Hero started and inherit a Spirit power as part of his moveset. With The Hero, they got the random critical hit ability, but with Adol, he'd get the "attack by dashing" ability, i.e. just running with Adol will count as an attack. This is because in the Ys games, you attack by running straight into an enemy with no button presses required.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I think it's pretty clear the DLC fighters need:

A Character
A Stage
Music
A Spiritboard

Mii Costumes are clearly optional as they have to be purchased outside of the pass and Banjo's release didn't have any mii costumes from his own series. Tales and Tekken don't have any of the above in Ultimate, while series like Monster Hunter have a spirit and music already in the game as well as an assist trophy/boss.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I think it's pretty clear the DLC fighters need:

A Character
A Stage
Music
A Spiritboard

Mii Costumes are clearly optional as they have to be purchased outside of the pass and Banjo's release didn't have any mii costumes from his own series. Tales and Tekken don't have any of the above in Ultimate, while series like Monster Hunter have a spirit and music already in the game as well as an assist trophy/boss.
Ace Attorney doesn't have any of the above either.

And unlike Tales and Tekken, it has never been represented in Smash in any way, period, despite being a very Nintendo-loyal series.

then again very few capcom series really had representation until mega man and ryu in smash 4

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
As far as Reggie’s statements, he said that the fighters will be new to Smash. He more or less insinuated they’d be similar to Joker, in that regard.

I’m not sure what that’ll mean for Heihachi or Lloyd though.

When it comes to the overall idea of the Fighter’s Pass, I think it very clearly has been shown by its contents. It’s all brand new characters, mostly from franchises people didn’t expect, or that bring new fans in.

This, frankly, is why I expect more of the same. If that strategy brought the...what was it, like a majority of the digital sales came from Smash DLC? It would appear that that strategy worked and paid off.

Not to say first parties aren’t going to happen. But it’s entirely possible it continues with 3rd parties going forward.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Wonder who will get deconfirmed on Thanksgiving (will probably be more interesting to read about than watching the Thanksgiving Football games if only because the Sunday games look more interesting)

BlackInk

Smash Lord
He never said "Characters who were Mii costumes will not be DLC", and if I remember correctly, his statement could logically be interpreted multiple ways, thus rendering it meaningless. His statement is not a reliable thing to go off of for absolutes.
No one has to be that ridiculously specific. To them, they count as fighters. Besides, have you seen the base the roster? It’s literally has all of the characters in smash. Reggie’s statement will actually not make any sense if he isn’t referring to the mii costumes guys as the “characters” who aren’t new to smash. In fact, he doesn’t have to talk about any old “characters” if the Miis don’t count.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If they want to appeal to new demographics with characters from new series, I don’t see why Lloyd and Heihachi would be out just because they were costumes last game. Seems very dumb on their part if they actually didn’t consider them because of this, and I don’t want to think they’re that dumb, so I’m sure this isn’t the case even if they don’t get in.

At the same time, it seems like Sakurai at least has some power in which characters get in, so I don’t think it was all up to Nintendo...

Last edited:

VongolaFair

Smash Apprentice
If what Vergeben and Sabi are saying actually ends up being true and TGA arrives with Sora still being left as a candidate....... Chaos will OCCUR

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If what Vergeben and Sabi are saying actually ends up being true and TGA arrives with Sora still being left as a candidate....... Chaos will OCCUR
untitled.png

Gee Square, how come Sakurai lets you get TWO DLC characters?

BlackInk

Smash Lord
If they want to appeal to new demographics with characters from new series, I don’t see why Lloyd and Heihachi would be out just because they were costumes last game. Seems very dumb on their part if they actually didn’t consider them because of this, and I don’t want to think they’re that dumb, so I’m sure this isn’t the case even if they don’t get in.

At the same time, it seems like Sakurai at least has some power in which characters get in, so I don’t think it was all up to Nintendo...
https://youtu.be/SHt3FyE-VIQ?t=12633
“Characters that are new to the series, just like Joker from persona 5” (Reggie).

osby

Smash Obsessed
That we already know, he outright said he makes the final decision in whether or not a character can be implemented.

Being completely honest here, i don't think this whole "Nintendo choses the characters" chip chat is true, or at least not entirely true. It's a very good excuse for Sakurai not being hated for choosing whoever he wants to put in the game. Hell, Terry's inclusion screams Sakurai's fanboyism.
Nah, people are just salty because SNK has guts to be influential and popular even though they're not fans of it.

Also, Sakurai gets hate for anything related to Smash, but "Nintendo already decided DLC" was aimed towards dumbasses who spammed "X FOR SMASH!" at every social media they could find.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
https://youtu.be/SHt3FyE-VIQ?t=12633
“Characters that are new to the series, just like Joker from persona 5” (Reggie).
Not this again...he even once said something like Waluigi being new or “not in Smash” in an interview before...

I don’t think we should rely on his statement so seriously. It’d still be dumb of them if they actually didn’t consider Lloyd and Heihachi because of last game’s costumes, anyway.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Nintendo gave the list of every series they'd be willing to negotiate to see in Smash and Sakurai picked from that.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
No one has to be that ridiculously specific. To them, they count as fighters. Besides, have you seen the base the roster? It’s literally has all of the characters in smash. Reggie’s statement will actually not make any sense if he isn’t referring to the mii costumes guys as the “characters” who aren’t new to smash. In fact, he doesn’t have to talk about any old “characters” if the Miis don’t count.
Having a sentence that doesn't spark a debate about what was meant by it isn't the same thing as being "ridiculously specific".

If you're counting Mii costumes as actual fighters then everyone is not here because Heihachi and Lloyd are still missing.

Reggie's statement does make sense if you interpret it as "all of the fighters will be newcomers". If this is indeed what he meant, then it's nothing we should concern ourselves with because it's not giving us any new information.

Whether or not we actually get Heihachi or Lloyd that doesn't change the fact that as of now there has been no official disconfirmation for either character.

According to everyone Sora is not a SquareEnix rep.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Have you ever heard of memes?
What he said was regarding fans asking for him and he was being serious, he also likes Waluigi. I don’t think him being memed matters.

And it’d still be completely stupid of them to think 2 absent (or even present) mii costumes actually attract new demographics. If Lloyd and Heihachi aren’t in, it’s not because of this.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Having a sentence that doesn't spark a debate about what was meant by it isn't the same thing as being "ridiculously specific".

If you're counting Mii costumes as actual fighters then everyone is not here because Heihachi and Lloyd are still missing.

Reggie's statement does make sense if you interpret it as "all of the fighters will be newcomers". If this is indeed what he meant, then it's nothing we should concern ourselves with because it's not giving us any new information.

Whether or not we actually get Heihachi or Lloyd that doesn't change the fact that as of now there has been no official disconfirmation for either character.

According to everyone Sora is not a SquareEnix rep.
Because the fifth fighter is a Namco rep. Thus, the Namco mii costumes are coming with its release. Honestly, I think people have a pretty strong sense of denial since the characters like Joker are ones that have never touched this series before the pass.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
For all we know, Reggie could’ve just been reiterating the fact that we’d be getting newcomers even if it was obvious.

I swear the argument over what he meant died early this year, why is it back?

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
This actually sounds like denial.
Or maybe it’s entirely possible because he’s a human being and can make mistakes or state the obvious just ‘cause.

“denial” seriously, get out of here with that crap. People considering other possibilities aren’t in frickin’ denial, don’t act like you’re smarter than everyone else. Heihachi and Lloyd may very well not be fighters, but I don’t think they’d actually not consider them to attract new demographics just because of two cosplay costumes.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Because the fifth fighter is a Namco rep. Thus, the Namco mii costumes are coming with its release. Honestly, I think people have a pretty strong sense of denial since the characters like Joker are ones that have never touched this series before the pass.
Not necessarily. Banjo & Kazooie didn't come with any Banjo-Kazooie or even Microsoft related Mii costumes.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Oh, so Ubisoft is entirely out, too? These disconfirmations sure seem to be getting quicker. Anyone else feel like this is an indication that the next fighter reveal could be sooner than TGA we think?

View attachment 248506

All these Squares make a circle. . .

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh, so Ubisoft is entirely out, too? These disconfirmations sure seem to be getting quicker. Anyone else feel like this is an indication that the next fighter reveal could be sooner than TGA we think?
For all intents and purposes I gotta feeling that we get FP5 before we get the Game Awards reveal. Just my hunch, because if they really want a Game Awards reveal it'll be someone hype-worthy.

Every day we get closer to the truth.

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
I never really see this brought up much, but here’s a fun fact (that could possibly be in favor of Lloyd in Smash): one of the producers for Smash Ultimate, Yo****o Higuchi, was also one of the directors for Tales of Symphonia. lol his name gets censored here

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I never really see this brought up much, but here’s a fun fact (that could possibly be in favor of Lloyd in Smash): one of the producers for Smash Ultimate, Yo****o Higuchi, was also one of the directors for Tales of Symphonia. lol his name gets censored here
He was also the director of Abyss and Vesperia. It really doesn't mean anything. He was also a producer for 3DS/Wii U as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom