• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
no give us isaac

the white, male, anime, sword-wielding, niche, rpg, first-party, boomer pick

WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH OF THEM

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Considering ToS is the most known game outside of the series' core fandom, and the best selling, and pretty much the only one that broke into the mainstream worldwide, Lloyd is the most popular.

Like, if you made a poll amongst only Persona fans about who the most popular protag is, I'm not sure you would get Joker. But when you expand that reach to the massive audience that plays Smash and the gaming internet at large, that's who you land on.
Sales don't mean anything. And if you're not aiming for the core fandom, then all they are doing is preaching to the choir considering getting the Tales fanbase should be a priority with the decision to add a Tales character. It's a failure of marketing to add a character the Tales fanbase isn't exactly that crazy about. Symphonia appeals to mostly the nintendo audience, the same audience that already has Smash and likely already purchased the DLC. Adding a Character that appeals to the core Tales fanbase is a much better business decision no matter how you slice it.

And yes, Joker currently is the most popular Persona MC at this time.

D

Deleted member

*shrugs*

Is there anything else I can do other than expect the worst? Heh, I'm prepared to face reality. Now let's stop right now and focus on your talking, shall you?

Hahahahahahaha!

It's obvious it's a ****ing joke but I'll take it any day XD
We get it. You don’t want the cat leak to happen. Thanks
I’m just gonna say that if you see a 4chan leak that has your most wanted it really isn’t ok to say that one you want is likley because of that. Aninsider credible enough saying that one You want Is in could happen but it’s not guaranteed until lots back it up. And as someone told me once that clinging on a Likely false leak that has one you enjoy the most is called out of misplaced hope

frozolloyd

Smash Apprentice
That's not what the latest poll we have that was conducted for persona Q2 says. As you can tell by the site, it indeed was conducted by Atlus.
http://p-ch.jp/news/2067/
P3 protaginst and Yu were 1st and 2nd on that poll, while Joker was 6th in that poll. Even characters like Yosuke and Goro beat him out. I might be wrong, but there hasn't been another poll conducted since then.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Assuming these rumors are true, I'm leaning more and more towards Bandai Namco.

Tekken, Tales Of, & Xenosaga. Probably Dark Souls too, but I know crap about the series beyond the praise/how everything is compared to it. Would honestly be cool with any of them.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Oh man, this slow checklist of deconfirmed items gradually going until the chubby child himself appears is getting exciting.

images.gif

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
That's not what the latest poll we have that was conducted for persona Q2 says. As you can tell by the site, it indeed was conducted by Atlus.
http://p-ch.jp/news/2067/
P3 protaginst and Yu were 1st and 2nd on that poll, while Joker was 6th in that poll. Even characters like Yosuke and Goro beat him out. I might be wrong, but there hasn't been another poll conducted since then.
But Joker got first place in Watchmojo's top ten Shin Megami Tensei protagonists, checkmate.

This actually hurt to type out.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Tales of Symphonia sold pretty well, it even got a sequel, and has had 15 to grow its legacy, not to mention being a highly demanded character who even got a Mii Costume last time around.

Lloyd won't get literally who'd, I can assure you.
I'm not so sure.
Maybe he wouldn't receive a mixed reception like the ones that Terry and Hero had but I'm completely sure a lot of people would be salty because:
- he's from another JRPG, which would mean 3 JRPG characters in one pass
- even if he's popular among the Smash and Tales of fanbase, I wouldn't say he's generally recognized outside these circles
- following the previous point, I don't think non JRPG fans think that Tales of is that important as a franchise. Hell, people discussed Dragon Quest relevancy even if that was only because they didn't wanted Hero in the game

I like Lloyd, but I'm pretty sure he would receive a good amount of "who's" (and of course, people crying because another anime swordfighter). Also, maybe it's just me, but I feel a good quantity of gamers that don't play JRPGs aren't even familiar with the name Tales of.

Not saying this trying to demerit Lloyd and saying he won't be FP5. I would be okay with him as our next fighter. But even if he's a popular character (he's still relevant in some form after so many years, that's not easy) I don't think he would be that different from Terry/Hero in terms of reception and reactions.

Reeeeeaaaaaaaaaally hoping we dont end the pass with Lloyd the generic JRPG man.

Give us Sora, the cool JRPG man
Sora is more popular and I guess you like him more, but c'mon. If Lloyd is a generic JRPG man Sora also falls into that.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
I just don't understand why people keep forcing themselves so hard to try forgetting this.
Fans are important but they already have purchased switch and smash so are not the main target audience anymore.
YouTube reactions don't bring money directly to Nintendo you know.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/190208e.pdf

Q13:
I'd like to hear about the future of your big hit titles released during October to December last year. The initial response was extremely strong, but will that be met with a drop in sales momentum? Or will the strength of that initial momentum on release help download sales and purchases based on word-of-mouth to grow, resulting in a net positive effect on future sales?

A13:
Satoru Shibata (Director, Senior Executive Officer): We feel very fortunate that the initial sales pace for Super Mario Party, Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu!/Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee!,and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has been so strong. However, that doesn't exactly mean we're satisfied. Before their release, we challenged ourselves to see how we could expand our consumer base with each of these titles. For Super Mario Party, the question was “How could we reach people other than children and parents?” With Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu!/Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee!, we asked “How could we reach people who had played Pokémon GO, for example, but never played Nintendo Switch?” With Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, we asked “How could we reach not only fans of the Super SmashBros. series, but also those who had never played it before?” If you look at the demographics of the consumers who purchased each of these titles, Iʼm not convinced weʼve completely overcome these challenges yet. So our aims are to keep working on them this year, to expand sales of these titles to new consumer demographics, and to keep selling these games for a long time, which is one of our strengths.

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Alright, new character is gonna be "Fortnite Soldier". Gotta farm those potential customers to the max and get them in. Fortnite Soldier is the only character that can taunt online with the Fortnite dance.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I’m just gonna say that if you see a 4chan leak that has your most wanted it really isn’t ok to say that one you want is likley because of that. Aninsider credible enough saying that one You want Is in could happen but it’s not guaranteed until lots back it up. And as someone told me once that clinging on a Likely false leak that has one you enjoy the most is called out of misplaced hope
I believe in the cat leaker, but it’s because they have a very unique sense of wording that isn’t replicated well.
Assuming these rumors are true, I'm leaning more and more towards Bandai Namco.

Tekken, Tales Of, & Xenosaga. Probably Dark Souls too, but I know crap about the series beyond the praise/how everything is compared to it. Would honestly be cool with any of them.
Why Tekken or Tales of? They’re already decided deconfirmed by having smash 4 costumes. The pass characters are 100% new to smash.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I believe in the cat leaker but it’s because they have a very unique sense of wording that

Why Tekken or Tales of? They’re already decided deconfirmed by having smash 4 costumes. The pass characters are 100% new to smash.
Trends may change beyond points not yet observed.

It's possible the last character may not introduce a series not entirely new to Smash, despite the previous four doing so.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Trends may change beyond points not yet observed.

It's possible the last character may not introduce a series not entirely new to Smash, despite the previous four doing so.
If you look at Reggie’s words, they’re defiantly not going for anyone who’s not new.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Sales don't mean anything. And if you're not aiming for the core fandom, then all they are doing is preaching to the choir considering getting the Tales fanbase should be a priority with the decision to add a Tales character. It's a failure of marketing to add a character the Tales fanbase isn't exactly that crazy about. Symphonia appeals to mostly the nintendo audience, the same audience that already has Smash and likely already purchased the DLC. Adding a Character that appeals to the core Tales fanbase is a much better business decision no matter how you slice it.

Besides the fact that you were already proven wrong about Joker, the assumption that DLC has to appeal to non-Nintendo fans is completely unproven. All of the characters in so far are from franchises with historical presence on Nintendo.

And anyway, how is it not a smart business decision to include the character from the best-selling game in a franchise? It's not like the hardcore Tales fandom isn't going to like Lloyd as well, plus you satisfy your pre-existing fanbase, and since ToS is the best-selling statistically you have the best chance of also appealing to casual fans. It's a win-win. There's a reason why Sakurai said it could only be Lloyd.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I'm ****ing done with this place for trying to start another discussion on Reggie's statement.

D

Deleted member

I believe in the cat leaker, but it’s because they have a very unique sense of wording that isn’t replicated well.

Anyone on 4chan can have a unique word like that that dosent make it believable.

When I see reggies quote I think he means by game worlds that don’t have a fighter yet like when sakurai said there are no more veterans to include unless we make new ones from scratch.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Besides the fact that you were already proven wrong about Joker, the assumption that DLC has to appeal to non-Nintendo fans is completely unproven. All of the characters in so far are from franchises with historical presence on Nintendo.
Ayumi Tachibana literally posted it above

I just don't understand why people keep forcing themselves so hard to try forgetting this.
Fans are important but they already have purchased switch and smash so are not the main target audience anymore.
YouTube reactions don't bring money directly to Nintendo you know.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/190208e.pdf

Q13:
I'd like to hear about the future of your big hit titles released during October to December last year. The initial response was extremely strong, but will that be met with a drop in sales momentum? Or will the strength of that initial momentum on release help download sales and purchases based on word-of-mouth to grow, resulting in a net positive effect on future sales?

A13:
Satoru Shibata (Director, Senior Executive Officer): We feel very fortunate that the initial sales pace for Super Mario Party, Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu!/Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee!,and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has been so strong. However, that doesn't exactly mean we're satisfied. Before their release, we challenged ourselves to see how we could expand our consumer base with each of these titles. For Super Mario Party, the question was “How could we reach people other than children and parents?” With Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu!/Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee!, we asked “How could we reach people who had played Pokémon GO, for example, but never played Nintendo Switch?” With Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, we asked “How could we reach not only fans of the Super SmashBros. series, but also those who had never played it before?” If you look at the demographics of the consumers who purchased each of these titles, Iʼm not convinced weʼve completely overcome these challenges yet. So our aims are to keep working on them this year, to expand sales of these titles to new consumer demographics, and to keep selling these games for a long time, which is one of our strengths.
Note how literally every character besides Banjo received flak by this fanbase before and after their reveals.

And anyway, how is it not a smart business decision to include the character from the best-selling game in a franchise? It's not like the hardcore Tales fandom isn't going to like Lloyd as well, plus you satisfy your pre-existing fanbase, and since ToS is the best-selling statistically you have the best chance of also appealing to casual fans. It's a win-win. There's a reason why Sakurai said it could only be Lloyd.
There's a reason Lloyd isn't exactly that popular and Yuri, Leon, Ludger and Luke are. The Tales of Fanbase is littered with Fujoshis and it's one of the few franchises that I can think of that is predominantly female, a demographic Smash does lack as it is a predominantly male fanbase like most other games.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Anyone on 4chan can have a unique word like that that dosent make it believable.

When I see reggies quote I think he means by game worlds that don’t have a fighter yet like when sakurai said there are no more veterans to include unless we make new ones from scratch.
So mii costumes 100% count because they’re mii FIGHTERS. Now that makes a lot of sense.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Can I get links to where Ubisoft and Gordon Freeman have been deconfirmed? I'm gonna feel really awkward about arguing strongly for Valve's chances in RTC if that's solidly true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom